2. The First Delve

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Adventure Begins

#141 Post by Khaboom »

Let there be light! Surely someone has aq torch? I don't care for the dark!

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#142 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby pulls his candle lantern out of his pouch and carefully lights it using flint and steel. "There now, perhaps we can help you light one of those torches you're carrying there, Biddle." The halfling carefully approaches the bags of coins and sets his lantern to one side. Using his shovel, "Just in case there's something sinister in amongst the coins," he carefully manoeuvres the bags and coins away from the edge and pokes through them looking for dangerous-wee-beasties.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#143 Post by Khaboom »

Biddle complies, rather apprehensively as if he and fire are not on the best of terms. Faced screwed up, Biddle stands ready to help Digsby if need be.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#144 Post by coffee »

Weeba gets out his lantern, fills it with oil, and lights it.

"If someone wants to take this from me when a fight breaks out, I'd be awful grateful," he says. "If I just set it down, it might get kicked over."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Noting he is useless in a fight, Doughty cheerfully offers to play the roll of torch/lantern bearer for the group. He helps drag the sacks of coins away from the edge of the abyss and helps count it. He smiles to himself that his plan actually worked.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#146 Post by coffee »

"Hey, you keep having ideas like that, I don't mind if you're useless in a fight!" Weeba says, handing over his lantern.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Smiling, Doughty blushes and shuffles his unshod feet.

Where to next?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Afternoon (turn 6)

Having heard all of the terrible old hag's tales about the grue, that nightmarish creature of the dark that still skulks through shadows here in the Eastlands, you all hasten to dispel the darkness with torch and lantern. Digsby and Doughty each carry sturdy lanterns, and Biddle lights a torch using their flame. The room is now bathed comfortably in light, minimizing the party's ability to surprise foes but better illuminating details and passages that might otherwise be missed.

Digsby and Biddle cautiously search the contents of the bags and find them to be refreshingly harmless—within them are naught but piles of lustrous, ancient gold coins. Doughty enumerates them as they search, counting 120 gold pieces in the cross-marked sack and 140 in the circle-marked one.

You all stand around, debating where to go next. All is quiet and calm in the half-orc's strange abode, save for the whisper of the torch flame and the subtle chill of the Cosmos seeping in from the dimensional portal in the ground.

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all newly lit)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 9/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 19/20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 32/32
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10

coffee
Scout
Scout

#149 Post by coffee »

"Now that we have the treasure, we should leave this room," Weeba says. "That hole is starting to give me the creeps."

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#150 Post by Khaboom »

I agree - let's go. I'll follow the leaders!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Agreed. This place reeks of orc. And orc crap. He suggests trying the secret door the orc uses, to see how it links back to the larger room, pointing out that it would be useful to have the lay of the land if they are chased.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#152 Post by coffee »

"Sure, that sounds good."

Making sure the light is close by, Weeba hefts his sword and proceeds through the secret door.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#153 Post by Khaboom »

Biddle readies Knock-Knock should it be needed...

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#154 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby looks around thinking they may have missed something. Ah, ha, yes, their swords...! The halfling makes a quick dash and collects the two falchions the half-orcs had been threatening them with. He returns to the others, hefting the weight of one in each hand, "Anyone need a blade? If not, we could always use them to jam the door open or something equally ignoble." Digsby eyes the locking mechanism of the hidden door making sure he understands it before getting locked behind it. "You know," he muses as he follows the others into the tunnel, shadows dancing from the lantern light, "We should keep this room in mind if we need to make a hasty retreat. That star-filled pit could come in mighty handy if our pursuers are unfamiliar with it."

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#155 Post by Khaboom »

"I like the cut of your jib, young sirrah!" Biddle declares. "I'd pay to see such a refreshing denouement."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Afternoon (still turn 6)

Digsby gathers up the falchions to distribute them, and the party wanders through the secret door. You take the time to study the mechanism—a false stone that flips open to reveal an astutely engineered pull handle—and observe your surroundings.

The secret exit leads directly into a hallway, stretching twenty feet to the right before terminating at a dead end on that side; to the left the hallway stretches fifty feet or so, and at the very edges of the flickering light you can just make out what must be another dead end. You mill about the secret exit for a bit, confirming between yourselves that there are in fact no doors or side passages to be seen: just a single corridor with walls at both ends.

Actions?

Light sources: Digsby's lantern, Weeba's lantern (held by Doughty), Biddle's torch (all newly lit)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 9/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 19/20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 32/32
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 9/10

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty Doughball, cook and thief, paces down the hallway to the right, using his dagger to tap the stones in the walls, feeling for passage f air through the rocks, or any other sign of a secret doorway. Well that orc came from somewhere. Must be another passage to the central room they initially entered.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#158 Post by Khaboom »

I stand ready to cast magical aid to your endeavour should your intense probing fail to yield fair reward. Just inform me if my services are required.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#159 Post by coffee »

Weeba stays on alert, in case anyone comes through another secret door (or even the one we just came through ourselves...).

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#160 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby stands at the intersection for a few moments to ascertain which direction the others are moving in. As Doughty begins to investigate the hall to the right, Digsby does the same to the left, candle lantern in left hand, cleaver in his right. The halfling keeps his head on a swivel, mindful of the possibility of traps. As he moves cautiously down the tunnel Digsby pays particularly close attention to the stone floor looking for tell-tale scratches, stones worn down by the passage of many feet or even simple foot prints in the dirt and dust.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”