OOC Table Talk

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Table Talk

#241 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sorry for the late post. I am in the middle of traveling. I'll do my best to keep up.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#242 Post by Bloodaxe »

Maybe the Ogre Cave secret door is not guarded. Possibly Lardo can use a small sip of that potion and do some scouting.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#243 Post by badams30 »

I think Saeros and Lardo's suggestion to go via ogre cave is good.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#244 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i too agree sounds like a good starting point.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#245 Post by badams30 »

Maybe we can park the animals in there?

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#246 Post by Gelatinous Q »

I want to check the secret door from the cave-side first and make sure it's still spiked — that would indicate to me that the hobgoblins are unaware of it.

Removing the spikes could generate some noise. I don't suppose we have access to a silence spell, do we?
Failure is always an option.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#247 Post by Bloodaxe »

Gelatinous Q wrote:I want to check the secret door from the cave-side first and make sure it's still spiked — that would indicate to me that the hobgoblins are unaware of it.

Removing the spikes could generate some noise. I don't suppose we have access to a silence spell, do we?
Maybe wrapping the spikes in a sack can help muffle the noise.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#248 Post by Spartakos »

I envision iron spikes as similar to railroad spikes or pitons (they weigh around 12 oz each), and that jamming the door involved pounding them into rock. How do you propose to remove them? It's not like they're nails you can yank out with a claw hammer.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#249 Post by Bloodaxe »

Spartakos wrote:I envision iron spikes as similar to railroad spikes or pitons (they weigh around 12 oz each), and that jamming the door involved pounding them into rock. How do you propose to remove them? It's not like they're nails you can yank out with a claw hammer.
Oh...oh well..... so removing them will make some noise. But if they are still there we can at least know nobody was probably in the Ogre Cave. maybe it can serve as a base of some sort.

Lets head to the Ogre cave and check it out.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#250 Post by Bloodaxe »

Door is still spiked. Bearskin is gone. Goblins probably fled. Hobgoblins might have a way into Goblin lair since no one saw them enter/leave. So we can possibly get in that way and get to the prisoners.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#251 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Lardo can do some invisible recon thru the first few rooms. Gotta think the hobgoblins are spread thin if they've taken over the goblin lair.

How long do I have on one dose of the potion?

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#252 Post by Bloodaxe »

Maybe with Saeros and Cornac as back up at the entrance just in case. Give a yell and we can help.

Potion invisibility duration is in the LL book. I'd look , but I'm at work. I think a few turns, each turn is 10 minutes. Should be good to scout if you sip at the entrance.

See what Spartakos thinks.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#253 Post by Spartakos »

Gelatinous Q wrote: How long do I have on one dose of the potion?
A healthy swig (1/8 of the potion) lasts for 3-6 turns (a half hour to an hour), though it will of course be negated if you take hostile action during that time.

Drinking the whole potion lasts much longer; the potion description says "as the spell", but the spell is technically of infinite duration unless broken, and I think that's too strong for a potion. I am ruling that a full potion will last 24 hours if not broken before before then.
(of course, I find that the most common use for invisibility is short-term anyway, so using it in swigs is more likely).

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#254 Post by KingOfCowards »

I am good with the idea of using the potion to scout, and thank you for volunteering Gelatinous. Focus should be on finding the path to hobgoblin caves and eventually the prisoners.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#255 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Here's what I propose:
• Assuming it's clear, Lardo will take one swig of the potion at the mouth of the goblin caves and work his way in, moving silently, to the room where we fought the ogre.
• If the coast is clear there, he will give a three knock signal on the secret door, letting the party know that they can de-spike the door and come through.
• Along the way he will note hobgoblin numbers & positions, as well as goblin and hobgoblin losses. Also looking for side passages, doors, etc.
• I'm a little worried that the wolf may now be in the hobgoblins' service, and that he might be able to sniff Lardo out. So if he has an opportunity to discretely mask his scent with a dead goblin's/hobgoblin's gear, he'll do so.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#256 Post by Bloodaxe »

Gelatinous Q wrote:Here's what I propose:
• Assuming it's clear, Lardo will take one swig of the potion at the mouth of the goblin caves and work his way in, moving silently, to the room where we fought the ogre.
• If the coast is clear there, he will give a three knock signal on the secret door, letting the party know that they can de-spike the door and come through.
• Along the way he will note hobgoblin numbers & positions, as well as goblin and hobgoblin losses. Also looking for side passages, doors, etc.
• I'm a little worried that the wolf may now be in the hobgoblins' service, and that he might be able to sniff Lardo out. So if he has an opportunity to discretely mask his scent with a dead goblin's/hobgoblin's gear, he'll do so.
Im good with that. But Saeros and someone else like Cormac , can be at the cave entrance in case you run into trouble and need back up. Then we can help you in a hurry, instead of unspiking the door or running from the Ogre cave.

Bloodaxe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#257 Post by Bloodaxe »

If its dark & quiet in the cave- it might be abandoned. For now anyway.

Gelatinous Q
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#258 Post by Gelatinous Q »

Heads up, guys: I start a new M-F 8-5 job tomorrow. Posting will probably be pretty light over the next week or two as I get on-boarded.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#259 Post by Spartakos »

To let everyone know, Bloodaxe has left the game. Saeros will continue this expedition as an NPC, and then you can decide what to do with him.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#260 Post by GreyWolfVT »

any reason as to why he left?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Return to “Adventure on the Borderlands of Lamora (LL)”