chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: chapter 5 - In Search of Sausages

#261 Post by Starbeard »

"So that's a volunteer, then," Manred tells the orc. "If we step quietly then Madame won't hear us. Go on, two steps ahead of me, quiet as a mouse. Just to the bottom of the stairs, that's all. We won't get you in trouble if you won't get us in trouble."

Manred attempts to prod the orc down the steps with his spear before he can escape from his bonds.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#262 Post by coil23 »

She isn't down here, that's worse! The orc's eyes dart around, looking for an opening to bolt back the way he came. Seeing none he reluctantly steps down the stairs, still half-turned toward your party and pleading not to do this. She'll know, she'll know, she'll know. The desperate orc gets to the bottom of the stairs and stands before the dark curtain, looking back at all of you and keeping track of the spear point.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter: "An' 'oo's Madarme, then? Sounds witchy ter me. D'yer serve a witch? Whass she doin' wi' yer all?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#264 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix continues looking all around nervously.

"If she isn't here, then where is she? Somewhere else in this complex, or out and about? And how could things be worse with her gone than with her here? Speak plainly and quickly now, and we will let you live. You do want to stay alive, right?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela eases down the stairs after the orc, and once down there, she takes her spear and pushes the curtain aside. "If yer lying, I will spit you like a fat pig!" she growls as she looks beyond the curtain.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#266 Post by coil23 »

We serve the Madame. Making sausage for now but she has plans to expand the territory. We won't be hidden out here forever. Her patron will make sure of that. Me coming here without her can only mean I came to snoop or steal. That means she kills me slow. She's near. Do what you came to do and be gone before she returns and maybe you'll live a little longer. She'll know once you go past the curtain. I took you here, now let me go.

The orc seems to want to put on some bravado at the danger you're in but his own terror keeps interfering.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Starbeard »

"Sorry, we can't have you raising alarms before we're safely away," whispersManred. "Now less talk, or we'll all be found out." He peeks through the curtain with Graela.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#268 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix senses something strange from this overly helpful orc. He pulls him back towards the steps and away from the curtain as the others peek beyond it, hoping it will calm him down a little. He whispers as quietly as possible, trolling for more information.

"We cant release you......yet. But your words give me some concern. So, these famous sausages heralded for miles around......are made by ORCS? I wonder how many people know about that?"

"What have you heard about a scrap of parchment or cloth that hides some ancient map? Would your Madame know anything about that?"

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter's attention is torn between the the curtain and the orc. He decides to hover near Travix and see what else might be gleaned from the prisoner. "Orcs be good wi' swee'meats an' forcemeats an' tripe, e'erybody knows that. Yer tellin' me lan'lubbers turn thar noses up at orc sawrsages?" Realizing he's getting off-track, he says to the orc: "Le's 'ear som more deetails onner Madarme. Wasshe look like? Be she hoomun? 'Ag? Nagar?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by coil23 »

Graela and Manred peek through the curtain to see a 20' x 20' room. The curtained doorway from which they peek is in the lower left corner. Along the left wall are shelves on either side of a desk and chair. Against the far wall is a crude altar, low to the floor. Lit candles are on either side of it with what look like burned remains in the middle. To the right of the altar is a messy pile of blankets and something small is partially visible among the blankets that seems to be asleep. To the right of the blankets is a door on the far end of the right wall. From your vantage point, you see the edge of a bed that seems to take up the corner to your right.

The orc whispers responses to Travix's and Salt Peter's questions. Nobody'd tell me about maps. I heard mention of books. The orc pauses a moment to shudder at the thought of someone reading books then nods absently at Salt Peter's assertion about orcs and sausage making- common knowledge to all, of course. Madame is human...barely. She found something new to worship in the forest- something awful. The sausage making isn't a business- it's a sacrifice!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Pulpatoon »

Salt Peter prods the orc, "G'wan, keep talkin'. Whatter yer mean 'sacry-fice?' An' 'barely hoomun?' Yer gotter pepper yer talk wi' more specy-fics if'n yer gonner keep an audience innerested."

To Travix, he adds, "Me pop ne'er 'ad much advice fer 'is brood, but one thing 'e did make a point o' sayin' wuz that it hain't ne'er done nobody no good ter look inter what went inter a sawserge."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#272 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix shakes his head, trying not to laugh at his tiny friends strange vernacular for the millionth time. He wants to ask more questions, but every time he does, instead of answers, he gets more mystery. After the orcs last mouthful, the mage is glad he didn't partake of the bratwurst.

"She is worshiping something awful now, eh? Would it have anything to do with this bone king we keep hearing about?"

"Tell me, friend.......has your Madame been acting differently......in a strange kinda way, since this new change in her worshiping practices?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#273 Post by coil23 »

What goes into the sausage is a sacrifice to something. She makes ritual kill then we use the meat. She looks human but just gets stranger- never know what she'll do. Torments us for no reason, talking is scary, sees things, moves in ways you can't. We lost chief and wanted a strong leader but not safe with her. Let me go and I am running away. Never coming back.

And it isn't Bone King. She talks of Bone King as enemy. Bone King has goblins coming north.

The orc seems genuinely afraid and answering questions in a rushed manner as if to hurry this up.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Starbeard »

"How very interesting," whispers Manred. "It seems we've stumbled onto a turf war. Bone King and Sausage Queen. They might want to pick new names. Anyway, we should either sneak in or move back upstairs, before we disturb whatever is sleeping in there."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela looks at Manred and then back at the room with its sleeping...occupant. "Wonder what that thing is sleeping yonder?" she hisses into Manred's ear, her hand covering her mouth to prevent the sound carrying.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#276 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Travix senses the reluctance of the group to enter the strange room. He leads the orc back up the steps, letting the others decide if they really want to enter or not.

Once out of earshot of the sleeping monster of certain death, the mage continues grilling the orc for answers in the nicest way he can.

"Ok, you have been very accommodating to us, so I think we will just let you go free. But first, a few more questions, if I may?"

"This other door here, with the hallway beyond it. Where does it lead to? And how about the door off of the sausage room? Just how big is this lair of yours? How many other orcs live in here?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#277 Post by coil23 »

The orc's eyes dart away upon mention of the other door off the firepit room. Reluctantly he mumbles: don't go in. Dangerous. His eyes search the floor a moment before he continues. The door off the sausage room goes back to storage for the meat. Others back there, maybe Madame too. Now let me go so I can run.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Starbeard »

Manred creeps quietly back up the stairs with Travix and the prisoner. "I don't know, but I don't want to find out until I can get my magic back," he whispers back to Graela behind his cupped mouth.

Back on the ground floor: "He seems convinced that this place is magically protected. I wouldn't want to find out without my own magic ready. I say we mop up our mess and exit the way we came. We can dispose of the bodies somewhere in the woods and come back later with a plan." He quickly takes a peak into the western room to see if it shows any obvious signs of their fight.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by hedgeknight »

Graela just shrugs, willing to do whatever the group decides.
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#280 Post by coil23 »

The orc seems alarmed at the wording. Mop up?! Just let me go and I'll run. She'll treat me the same as you after all this.

There are some blood smears on the floor from dragging the dead orcs in the large room to the west that head toward and into the firepit room.

Return to “North Spine campaign (Labyrinth Lord)”