Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#701 Post by Marullus »

Foxy tries to dodge out of the way, but the dragon snatches her up easily, plucking the proffered shield from her hands with it's other claw. It's sword-like talons flay her flesh as she struggles (-8hp) - she passed out with a scream of pain, swooning unconscious, grasped in it's meaty paw. With a single flap of it's massive wings, it is ready to ascend.

Clay stands upright on his hind legs, trying to negotiate further with the beast. The dragon's voice is a snear. "A tricky badger, I see... Northward? You would have me contest the territory of Lisssseth, or of Galgathael, then?" It makes the horrible, grating noise that might be laughter once more. "No. Your town is in my lands, and tribute is indeed what I demand. Livestock, Hah. It is Maiden that I prefer and Maidens that your town must provide or face my ruin."

Foxy's blood runs over it's scaled toes and sharp talons, dripping as the life runs out of her. The dragon prepared to ascend and fly off with her. Baxtaw and C'ang are ready, however - Baxtaw's arrow flies from the creature's flank and glances off it's thick hide. C'ang runs directly for the beast without fear, his family's axe biting into it's flesh before it can leave the ground.

C'ang gets to specify the effect desired by his critical hit.
We are using Foxy's first success, the dragon will deliver her to the town. We already addressed in your private forum that you cannot recruit a creature into your party that has more levels/HD than you, so the second action wouldn't have worked anyway.

Dragon claws [1d20] = 17 [1d8] = 6 [1d20] = 14 [1d8] = 5
C'ang [1d20] = 20 [1d8] = 1 Baxtaw [1d20] = 16 [1d8] = 8

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#702 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

OOC:
I am confused how things went South so quickly. I thought the reaction roll was very positive. Wasn't Scatha just picking Foxy up? I thought the class description was just flavor,
not an indication that the dragon was using them. And Stirling had indicated she was willing to go, even rolling successful dexterity checks.
Can you explain where my (our?) misunderstanding was? If the rolls stand as is, Clay will try to get Foxy out of harm's way and stabilize her.

Also, the banner of pain isn't still active, is it?
Last edited by Marullus on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler tags to condense OOC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#703 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
Foxy asked the dragon to 'fly her' and it agreed to 'deliver her.' I understand that Stirling had imaginings about riding the dragon, which she expressed in the second update, but that was not on the table... Before allowing a CHA test, I first check "would they be willing to do this at all?" The dragon will not submit to be ridden; no CHA check will do that.

I waited to see reaction when it reached out - I wanted to see if Foxy struggled. If she did, it risked damage (hence the dramatic claw descriptions). She stated that she wanted to dodge it's claw and instead jump on it's (unwilling) back, so I used the attack roll to resolve that intent. The dragon easily grabbed her as a result.

Since both Baxtaw and C'ang stated conditional actions, that they'd attack if Foxy was in danger, I then triggered those. C'ang got a critical hit, so has a chance to cause impact on the scene before it can escape.

The scene isn't actually that "far south" - the dragon is still executing Foxy's request to be delivered to town. Everyone else is getting to respond as they wish.

As for Clay, I resolved that as both a "say no" (the dragon is uninterested in relocating to suit Clay's wishes) and a "say yes" (it dropped valuable information and names of two other presumed dragons.)

As for the dragon now threatening to burn down Gaul if you don't start sacrificing maidens, I put that in the "it's a f'ing dragon" rule. Be careful what you wish for. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#704 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i kept hoping for Puff, I suppose. :roll:

That makes sense. Thanks. So got to figure out what to do about Foxy. Anyone have input? Let her go to town and get healed by the clerics at the Infirmary? Drag her off and stabilize her? I guess it depends on how the dragon reacts to C'ang and Baxtaw's attacks...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#705 Post by onlyme »

It is all halfpint can do to stay quiet after watching foxy get picked up.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#706 Post by Stirling »

For myself, though a bit miffed that the second charisma roll didn't work out as planned, I did estimate that Foxy trying to draw the sword and jump on the dragons' back and ride off like the Lone Ranger on Silver might be another time her character and temperament choices don't work out so well, will she ever live to learn that 'Pride comes before a Fall'?

I would guess those springing from hidden spots to attack the creature might get torched as a result however well intentioned their rescue attempt of Foxy.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#707 Post by Starbeard »

So it's going well then. No worries, we got this in the bag.

The Grizzly Woman wipes her nose with her sleeve and grows bored of the back and forth, then does a surprised double-take at how quickly the scene has escalated. She steps forward and calls up to the dragon. "Well it is no good taking Foxy back if she is dead! Her heart is big as a dragon heart but the rest of her is tiny so be careful. I hope you have a way to put her back together where you are going, Big Dragon."

If the dragon attacks, she will charge forward and whup it. Otherwise, she will stand her ground where she is.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#708 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Though it goes unnoticed because of his fur, Clay pales when he sees Ms. O'Hare drop unconscious. Seeing C'ang's axe bite deeply, Clay and More day for cover. (Bringing Ms. O'Hare with them if the dragon decides to fight. If it still has her, Clay will hope she gets to town alive and can get healed there. Because, how long would it take the dragon to fly and deliver her there?)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#709 Post by Marullus »

Valdus - I am specifically holding for your input. The dragon looks poised to fly off, carrying Foxy.
- If I misinterpreted and you didn't intend to charge, just amend the action in your post and I'll cancel it.
- If you did charge (and thus rolled a critical hit) you get to specify a special impact per the house rules.

You can be creative, as long as it is modest in its impact. Some options for this scene would be:
- You could hit its paw, causing it to release Foxy.
- You could grasp a wing-edge, hit near its eye, or otherwise stymie it for a round so it can't leave yet (it loses one action).
- You could cause a lasting cosmetic injury ("gave 'im something to remember me by...") and you get that bit of it as a trophy.
- You could do max damage with your axe (10hp) to injure it.

How it responds will depend on your choices.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#710 Post by Valdus »

C'ang stood poised and let loose of his spring, slamming with his axe against the fowl claw that gripped Foxy. "You'll not use that against anyone ever again!" He stands ready to counter another attack.

[1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4[1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy and damage the wyrm. But it might not happen with those rolls.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#711 Post by Alethan »

Valdus wrote: C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy and damage the wyrm. But it might not happen with those rolls.
OOC: Per Marullus's roll for you in this post viewtopic.php?p=319752#p319752 C'ang already had a critical hit. That's why he's asking you what you want the effect of C'ang's critical hit to be. Like to have the dragon drop Foxy, for example.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#712 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw So I am lost are we battling the dragon or are we letting him take Foxy to Gaul in which we may return to Gaul and find it in ashes. Or find the residents feeding it maidens. I do not see any positives outcomes to this.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#713 Post by Valdus »

C'ang will seek to damage the wyrm as much as possible while freeing Foxy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#714 Post by Marullus »

Valdus wrote:C'ang will do everything he can to both free Foxy...
Taking that as the action, then.

C'ang charges the dragon fearlessly, clad only in leathers, as it tries to take off with the unconscious Foxy. ""You'll not use that against anyone ever again!" he bellows, bringing his family's ancestral axe down hard, slicing deep into the great Wyrm's paw. (Critical hit, -3hp, effect: drop Foxy) Foxy's body spills out, bleeding, onto the hard earth.

The disbelief is tangible as time hangs in the air for a long moment. Even the casual damage of Foxy struggling against it's claw was enough to mortally wound her, so great is this creature... And there the dwarf stands, challenging it in leathers, wild haired, axe in hand.

Clay and Morrs dive for cover. Half-pint disappears in the brush. The Grizzly Woman stands her ground and wipes her nose. Baxtaw considers another shot but can't even get it into his bow.

The dragon roars. "DWAAAARF!!! How DARE you strike me!" Already trying to rise off the ground, it tries to redirect, pulling back it's wounded claw and swinging around to snap the dwarf up in it's jaws. It's maw -- so large it could snap even the bear in half with one bite -- comes around at the leather-clad dwarf, missing and smacking into the ground as it's momentum goes off-kilter. (Critical fumble, lose next round's action) One of it's teeth bounces out into the dirt near C'ang, while it's body loses lift and falls sideways, crashing to the ground in a heap.

(Actions? Post two rounds.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#715 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

This is pretty epic. Totally not in Clay's character to jump in, especially without magic. What is Shortbread doing? He has the Horn of Jarkul. He should probably use it.

Clay continues to rush toward the brush (in the direction of his donkey, preferably) with Ms. O'Hare on his back. He mutters with much concern about this not being why the group is here, clearly torn about leaving his companions to face a dragon. Morr follows the badger-cleric. Once he is tuched in amongst some rocks, clear of the dragon's sight, Clay works to stabilize Ms. O'Hare.

If there was time to grab the dragon tooth, Clay will take it/have Morr carry it in his mouth.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#716 Post by Valdus »

The leathered dwarf watches the dwarf go down, covered in dragon blood he will seek a vital area and chop at it, twice if necessary.

OOC: C'ang will hack at hopefully the head or something vital before him, twice. He is covered in blood (I suspect) and will give into the darkness of battle. It will be something difficult to stop.

Round 1
[1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12[1d8+2] = 3+2 = 5

Round 2
[1d20+2] = 4+2 = 6[1d8+2] = 2+2 = 4

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#717 Post by Stirling »

perhaps the time is right for Shortbread to blow the Horn of Jarkul? just to add a bit more mayhem to the scene and carnage?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#718 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint watches Foxy die (from what she can see). Then, the newly rescued dwarf attempts to take down the dragon. She can only hope she has made herself as hidden as she knows. She watches and waits.

(if it appears she could quietly and stealthily move around the wooded parameter to where Clay ran off to, she will. If it is on the opposite side, she will wait.)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#719 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Not seeing any good outcome and no commitment from the other adventurers he pulls himself out of the fight. He moves quickly as he can away from the action and takes cover.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#720 Post by Marullus »

Holding for Grizzly Woman.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”