Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 14 - To the Gardens in Azurpenia's Prison

#61 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion waits, wondering.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#62 Post by CAI4 »

"Be careful, Tempest" advises Chet. His fists are at the ready.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by AleBelly »

The invisible halfling heads off into the foliage. It stirs slightly, and the bushes move, further and further away until the movement recedes into the darkness. The party waits anxiously. Were Tempus to fall, it would be nigh impossible to find him.

They are relieved minutes later when he returns. He was moving too fast to map, but he made his way to the left, then south along the wall, where he observed another passage exiting the room to the south. He could see light emanating from the room. The party is now aware to of two exits from this room of black, overgrown roses. One to the west that continues into darkness, and another to the south.

Surely some wonder how long the snail will linger out of sight...

Actions? Map below
IMG_2215.png
IMG_2215.png (370.56 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 20:55
Conditions: 54F, calm, room dark and damp
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment, Tempus invisible, Party blessed through 20:57
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit. Chet torch until 21:23
Intended Direction of Travel:

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by CAI4 »

Chet pulls some food from his pack and devours it.

"Well guys, now Tempus and I are now out of food. Maybe we should get back soon so none of us starve. However, if someone has plentiful rations maybe they could lend some to me and Tempus. Thank you."

He adds

"I'm happy to follow wherever the party goes."

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods at his monk friend's suggestion. "Perhaps if you tie a rope to my invisible waist and I take the gnome cleric's light stone I can counteract the darkness beyond and see what's what? If I get into trouble you could always tug me back with the rope. Someone could also perhaps come along also, but that might not be possible moving through the roses safely."
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by tkrexx »

Well guys, now Tempus and I are now out of food. Maybe we should get back soon so none of us starve. However, if someone has plentiful rations maybe they could lend some to me and Tempus.
Hah? Oh, yeahh, yeahh, Hyde is still distracted between the snail and the puckerbrush he so intensely dislikes, but digs in his satchel until he produces 2 separated ration packets. I got 1, 2, 3, I got 6 left. We ain't goin' in there are we? His focus is again on the thorny weave, I could hack thru them stickers easy, yeahh, real easy, but I don't want Rope-Head to swat me with one a' them Druid thundersticks, no.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by AleBelly »

Arnulf looks about the room. Then at the ceiling. "I have a spell that lets me - or better yet one of you - walk along the ceiling. Or walls. Like a spider. But I didn't prepare it today."

Will Yenny give Tempus the glowstone? Is this the plan?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

Angus is sorely tempted to hack his way through the roses. He's a woodsman! With an axe! What's he doing letting a few thorn bushes keep him at bay? But he resists the urge to rush forward.

"I'm just spitballing here, but y'all got any notion what we aim to do if Tempus finds an exit? Mean to say, moseying through them thorn bushes ain't going to get any easier what because we know there's something on the other side."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion focuses on the roses, wondering why anyone would cultivate such a depressing variety. It would never place in the annual rose and flower show that the local gossip club would host. Oh, how she loved dressing up and attending the ball afterward, and... oh yeah, she grabs her trident and watches for ambushes.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by CAI4 »

Chet nods at Angus. "Yeah. Some of us are out of food, and some of us are hurt. And it's late. I think we should go back to the fort."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by AleBelly »

Several plans are put forth - Tempus offers to enter the rose thicket again. Angus and Hyde propose caution. Chet proposes returning to the safety of the Sambord fort.

From behind, they hear the grinding of the snail shell against the vine-covered stone walls. Perhaps it has heard them? The party realizes they must make a decision, fast.

Actions?

Time: 20:56
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment, Tempus invisible, Party blessed through 20:57
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit. Chet torch until 21:23

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Zhym »

"I'm with Chet. Let's get the hell out of here," advises Angus. If no one else objects, he heads back the way they came before the snail reaches them.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus shrugs and follows the group out.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion follows.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by tkrexx »

Where you at, Rope-Head, hah? Hyde's gravelly voice betrays his concern, We ought be scattin', that snail's headin' this way, and we ain't set for a fight right now.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by AleBelly »

The party retraces their steps over corpses, the strange white room with the black stripe, past the sleeping baby-suit monstrosity, through the jumbled stair room, and eventually back to the shadowy blue room that marks the entrance. There they see the back of the winged blue lady. Her shoulders rise and fall as she seethes.

"Incompetents! What would I do with such a thing?"

On its side on the floor is the enormous goat skull arch. At Crucem's feet is a grotesque sight - a mass of orange robes, clumps of hair and flesh, and deformed crow masks. Green wisps rise from the carnage, matching the color of vapor coming from the lady's nose. It seems failure to appease the lady has dire consequences.

DM rolls dice

She turns to the party, breathing heavily from recent exertion. "And you! I asked of you to return me a statue. I see none in your possession! Have you too disappointed me?" Her jet-black eyes look into yours, angry.

Actions?

Time: 21:35
Known Spells in Effect: Yenny under some sort of hunger enchantment, Tempus invisible
Light bearers: Lamps in rooms - Angus' lantern has 3.5 hours worth of oil left in it but is unlit.
Last edited by AleBelly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAI4
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by CAI4 »

Chet's eyes grow wide. The monk begins to tremble. He thinks he should keep his mouth shut to avoid saying anything stupid. But he softly stammers "S-s-s-sorry."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by AleBelly »

"I should have known...I did know...that I could not rely on fools to preserve the valuables that lie within. It is a shame they will be lost when I destroy this place. But I can put it off no longer. If you have but a drop of wisdom between you, you will leave."

With that, she begins pushing past the party to delve into the prison.

A faint trembling can be felt beneath your feet.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zhym »

Angus had words for the woman. Something along the lines of not agreeing to work for her. But it seems her anger will work in their favor. The prison will be destroyed, and with it, he hopes, the threat it poses to Sambord. He thinks regretfully of Chronia, but perhaps even that is for the best. Finally, after all those millennia, maybe she will find peace.

"Let's get the hell our of here," he says, leading his own advice.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus leads Clarence up the steps and out into the welcome freshness of the upper outer world he loves. Feeling the ground beneath his hairy toes the little Druid exhales and takes it all in, unseen by his fellows thanks to the magic-users trickery.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”