Prolog/Chapter 1: The Company forms

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Prolog/Chapter 1: The Company forms

#1 Post by drpete »

The winter frosts are over, and you have gathered in the shade outside of a coffee house to discuss your future. In the courtyard, several old men play at games like checks and paints, oblivious to the sun.

In the shade, you sit, contemplating your next moves. You have each come here, for your own reasons, to make your fortune, conquer evil, or explore the world. To seek adventure, together. An old, wrinkled man with a stooped back brings out a tray of fresh coffee, places it on your table, and departs, leaving you to your deliberations.
india-1909.jpg
india-1909.jpg (228.87 KiB) Viewed 908 times

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Jaskar

#2 Post by tymir »

Jaskar sips his coffee quietly, waiting respectfully for a lull in the conversation.

I've heard rumors of a bandits to the east raiding caravans he pipes up lead by a powerful mage. We should be cautious if we head that way.

I've also heard there's a nearby silk farm having issues with giant spiders he shivers at the thought.

With all the recent bandit activity maybe we could get a premium wage hiring on as guards?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prolog: The Company forms

#3 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi nods grimly at his friend Jaskar.

Troubled times indeed. I heard the the mountain pass to the south is all but closed due to bandit activity. Which makes no sense because why cut off the source of your income? They are getting too greedy down there. Perhaps we should make a visit and teach them some civility.

Still, if I might recruit you all to a mission which is perhaps more dear to my heart than yours... it is said the Bedi in the ruins of Tyr worship Death itself, and wear blasphemous skull masks. Who knows what sick rituals they practice? I don't mean to disrespect the Bedi but this must not stand. We should do something about it. The bandits can wait.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Khawaji silently listens to his friends. Waiting for them to finish before he begins.

There is an old ruin outside of Kuntan that my order has been thinking of investigating. There is an old black stone building with an iron gate that leads to a cavern. Adventurers have apparently been investigating it for some time. Most to have returned tell of finding nothing of interest but some have wounds that will not heal, some are mute and others have been mad.

I have also heard some whispers of rebellion here. Perhaps we will find we need to deal with something closer to home that we thought.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#5 Post by Lamech »

"I for one think we should start with something like guarding a caravan. Maybe those spiders. I don't think that we have the resources to go around picking fights with cults, or powerful bandit groups or mages or whatever."

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Jaskar

#6 Post by tymir »

Out at the silk farm the spiders are feared to be preying on children. Maybe we can do some good there, while not jumping in over our heads. We might even get a reward out of it!
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Looking into the Spiders seems like a good idea, especially if children are involved. The caravan guard job doesn't appeal to me as it is most likely to end up dealing with bandits on there terms instead of ours.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi perks up upon hearing of children being threatened.

We should seek this place out immediately and exterminate the spider menace. The gods will surely smile upon such a holy act!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

This talk of children, and of rewards, reminds Willow of something...

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#10 Post by Lamech »

It does. Probably unrelated though. "So where all for spider hunting then?"

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi nods. "Yes, spiders."

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Jaskar

#12 Post by tymir »

The silk farm lies 12 miles east of here. I'll ask my merchant friend Polson, who told me of the troubles, if he can draft a letter of introduction for us.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

I am ready to go once you have the letter.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Jaskar goes to see Polson. Are the others coming...?

Polson is a well established businessman, with a fine clothing store, a small army of seamstresses to produce clothing, connections with textile makers, caravan suppliers, guards, etc. Jaskar comes to see him in his storefront.

Polson is pleased to see him (and his friends). Polson is a handsome, middle-aged man with a strong personality. Jaskar's dad used to say that he could talk a camel out of its hump, but he always looked after his friends. He invites you to come in, have a drink, a little snack, and talk business.

How do you want to proceed?

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#15 Post by tymir »

My friends and I have decided to investigate the trouble you mentioned at the silk farm. Would you be able to write us a letter of introduction? That way they won't be worried when our ragtag group shows up on their doorstep.

Who should we ask for when we arrive?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

Polson smiles widely, and pats Jaskar on the shoulder. Turning to an aide, he comments, proudly "I knew it. GreaT things, great things we can expect from young Jaskar, here!"

He then turns back to Jaskar. "I would be happy to write you that letter, my boy! Remember to make your father proud, and you will go far. Maybe captain of my caravan one day, eh...?"

"Alright, so there's a little village about 12 miles east of here. Just follow the aqueduct road... when you get closer, you'll see the spider farms. Anyway, about 12 miles out, there'll be a little fork off to a small village. Not much more than a well, a market and a few homes, but still... when you get there, ask for Naya, and give her this. She'll be able to give you the latest."

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#17 Post by Lamech »

What time is it in the day? We might be able to reach the target today...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by drpete »

It's midmorning. You can definitely get there today, as it's along a nice, clear road, and you guys are not very weighted down. (I know I said no roads, but that's between oases. Within this one, there are a few roads)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi tells his friends he's off to buy a day's worth of food and water and then he's ready to go.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by drpete »

The cost of food and lodging at typical 1st level lifestyle levels is covered for the week, though if you want to carry it rather than assume to eat a prepared meal somewhere, you should account for it for encumbrance purposes. This area we're discussing is all civilized, so you can probably find food and lodging. Given that it's several miles away, you'll probably need to spend the night.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”