OOC Discussion

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Discussion

#1 Post by drpete »

A place to discuss thing out of character.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#2 Post by Rex »

Not sure this belongs here, a house rule question. Since my PC is a Aesthetic how does upkeep work towards my reputation etc.? Most of my money will be going to the Brotherhood, orphanage, poor etc and I would be spending very little on myself, just enough to survive and upkeep on my mostly simple clothing/equipment.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Well, Rex, lessee... by the rules as they are now...

The money that goes to the monastery becomes an xp bank for your next character, so you can consider that "insurance" against something bad happening to you.

Spending less than your "level" upkeep, causes you to get an xp penalty. This may not be an issue now, but it probably would be, down the road. I'll have to think about it a bit... Maybe some alternative can be worked out, but this seems to be the heart of the monk's temptation... embrace the (painful) purity of the ascetic lifestyle, or give in to the temptation for worldly power.

That said, it's kinda rough. I'll think about it...
Not convinced it'll get to obscene proportions in pbp :)
Rex wrote:Not sure this belongs here, a house rule question. Since my PC is a Aesthetic how does upkeep work towards my reputation etc.? Most of my money will be going to the Brotherhood, orphanage, poor etc and I would be spending very little on myself, just enough to survive and upkeep on my mostly simple clothing/equipment.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

Alright, solved it, I think... you can spend weeks devoted to contemplation in places of power as a substitute for lifestyle spending. Your temple is a hallowed pinnacle of good, and therefore you can have a low financial upkeep while spending 2 weeks of every month in downtime praying and get no penalty.

This is somewhat tied to your temple, though appropriate places to get this benefit (you need a lawful altar and/or powerful lawful characters/beings living there a long time) are not uncommon.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

A very basic wrestling example... you guys are very strong, so wrestling can tend to incapacitate your opponent quickly...

Round 1:
Initiative: Both planning to wrestle, so roll 1d6. Jaskar gets 3, Hazrahi gets 4, so Jaskar goes first.

Jaskar: 10+ vs Hazrahi’s MAC 2, and Jaskar has +3 due to his strength. He needs a 9+ to hit. He rolls a 13. This hits, and he rolls for effect. The effect roll is 8+4=12. He is grabbing Hazrahi one-handed, though, so the effect is halved, giving 6 effect. This means Hazrahi is restrained, and at -5.

Hazrahi: 10+ vs Jaskar MAC of 3. Hazrahi is at -5 for being restrained, but he has +2 due to his strength. Because Jaskar is applying 6 points of control, he is not free to move, and is considered grappled, and is at -2. Hazrahi attempts to break Jaskar grip. He needs a 13, but rolls a 6, and isn't able to loosen the hold.

Round 2:
Initiative: Jaskar rolls 6, Hazrahi rolls 1, so Hazrahi goes first.

Hazrahi: Hazrahi decides to try to grab on to Jaskar. Again, he needs a 13, but only rolls a 15, and gets 7+3=10 control, and incapacitated Jaskar.

Jaskar:
Jaskar is incapacitated, and cannot move.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

That's cool. Just trying to get a bunch of stuff stood up here before I go on vacation. I'm going to be travelling in the next two weeks, which will probably mean once the characters start to get finalized, I'll be able to check in and do a soft start with some rumors and rp, but might not be able to get you out of the door for real until I get back...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Were Khawaji's contacts OK?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

Rex, yup, they're good.

Now, if you're looking for something else to do, we can discuss your order, what they (and by extension, you) want, for example. Any thoughts?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

I've realized that joining this game was a bit of a mistake, and I'll be over-extended. If I try to keep up with it and the others, my gaming will suffer. Sorry, but I'm dropping out now, before we actually get rolling. Thanks, and have a good time!!
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

I'm sorry to hear that, Urson. Good luck with your other games.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by drpete »

Rex, thinking about it, and asking around, you can count your charity giving as excessive lifestyle spending for purposes of that rule.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

OK, that sounds fine. I do intend to reply about the brotherhood, just haven't had time to do it properly.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by sulldawga »

Sorry to have disappeared for a while, although it looks like we're on a soft start anyway.

I wasn't getting email notification of new posts so I'll get that in order.

My character is mostly done, I need to buy a couple more small things but I'm 90% of the way there.

Just owe you some contacts and I'll be ready to go once you get back from vacation!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

Well, I thought that if you guys got finished, I could set you up with some adventure leads to discuss.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by tymir »

I am down for discussing adventure leads. What do we know about the ancient ruins of Tyr?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by sulldawga »

Leads are good.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Agreed, leads are good.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by drpete »

I've got a bunch for ya... since you asked, though, centuries ago, there was a city, Tyr, north of Kuntun. It was destroyed in a magical war, and the ruins are... haunted? ... Cursed? In any case, there's something off about them. Nonetheless, the nomadic Bedi have a semi-permanent village there, where they raise giant bees. They trade for products from the city.

A lot of the ruins, though, are unoccupied, and treasure hunters occasionally find something there.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#20 Post by tymir »

One idea would be to join a caravan out to the Bedi city near Tyr, pooling whatever leftover money we have to buy a couple donkeys and some trade goods. Once there we could see if we could garner any additional information about a ruin to explore. It would be nice to have some advanced info about what we might encounter,or perhaps hire a guide with local knowledge.

Drpete - did you want to handle the leads you pm'd in character?
Last edited by tymir on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”