OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#461 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Post edited to reflect this, except the short bow.
Thank you for taking care of this.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Zhym »

He took the longbow and put his short bow into the pile. Later I realized that a used short bow is still worth more than its weight in silver and had him pick the short bow out of the loot.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#463 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Gotcha Zhym. Edited the post again.

And i listed the mancles having been taken by Canun and the lock by Watts. (Ithink that is correct.)

If anyone else notices somethng, post it here and I'll just keep updating my post.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Gotcha Zhym. Edited the post again.

And i listed the mancles having been taken by Canun and the lock by Rainey. (Ithink that is correct.)

If anyone else notices somethng, post it here and I'll just keep updating my post.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#465 Post by AleBelly »

I had manacles and a lock on Canun's inventory...I think he bought them before leaving town.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#466 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:AdaRue will have spent day 2 making a map of the tunnels if no one else did; help from others was accepted. Is there a roll for this? Do I need to draw it up or is it assumed that will just know it way around as a result?
Your latest post reminded me that I remember reading this, and forgot to comment on it.

The old me would expect players to literally be creating their own map. In a tabletop game, I probably still would. However, in play-by-post, the "new" me is loosening my stance on this. I created the complete dungeon level you were on, and I'll assume, as long as someone (you) have noted that they're going to be mapping, you will have an accurate enough map to know where you've been should you return at some point.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#467 Post by dmw71 »

Unless you guys object, I would like to role-play the time spent in a city/town/etc... setting, at least a little bit. It will present an opportunity to meet new NPCs, potentially establish a (temporary) home base, overhear rumors, etc....

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you feel the game gets bogged down too much (I'll do my best to keep things moving, and won't necessarily make you role-play every single turn along your route from location #1 to location #2), or if city exploration is not your style. If you'd rather not partake in local explorations, you're welcome to simply find lodging for your character and make the necessary arrangements -- then you, as a player, can take a bit of a break while the rest of the group is conducting their business -- but, please do coordinate as a group.

Feel free to have some fun, but, also feel free to decide to leave at any time as well. ;)

---

Everyone should feel free to stick together, or split up as necessary. I'll manage everything. Do note that if you do split up, I will be tracking the actual time spent out and about by each group separately, so there may be stretches where your character will return and end up needing to wait for the rest to return as well.

Thoughts?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#469 Post by dmw71 »

Note: Geography thread updated.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Zhym »

FWIW, in a game described as a "mega-dungeon," I think of town as the place to rest and restock. There's no reason it has to be that way, of course, but when the town starts being part of the adventure that sounds more like a sandbox than a dungeon crawl to me.

Anyway, I'd suggest streamlining things a bit. The last three updates have been approaching the town, seeing the town, and entering the town. That's kind of a slow pace. :)

What I want to know at the moment is whether there's an armorer, a place to change silver for gold, and maybe an inn. I don't know that we need a street-by-street description or map, unless we're about to do battle in the town or something.

Just my two coppers.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#471 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:FWIW, in a game described as a "mega-dungeon," I think of town as the place to rest and restock. There's no reason it has to be that way, of course, but when the town starts being part of the adventure that sounds more like a sandbox than a dungeon crawl to me.
Fair enough. I did ask what the plans were, and the only feedback I received was the following, from onlyme:

"I'd say we are looking for a place for re-entry of the fallen and/or newbies. If there are none, I would say we would just go wherever the next hook takes us."

Zhym wrote:Anyway, I'd suggest streamlining things a bit. The last three updates have been approaching the town, seeing the town, and entering the town. That's kind of a slow pace. :)
Fair enough. Though, to those points (working chronologically), the first update was after group left the dungeon and was figuring out where they were, and where to go. The second, there was the wagon caravan that the group could have possibly engaged with (but didn't have to). The most recent, you're officially entering town. My plan, now that you're actually in town, was to let you engage a local where you would learn about your new surroundings, and what's available, then fast-forward from there.

As for what's actually available, I'm almost definitely going to need to modify the world I'm using, as there's little doubt, as it exists in my plans, it would be disappointing.

Spoilers!
Roganter is a small, poor village. There is not enough traffic or money coming into the town to justify an inn. Many staples or conveniences an adventurer would expect (e.g. weaponsmith, armorer, etc...) do not exist; instead, the town has a more general metalsmith.

Since you correctly pointed out that this game was advertised as being a mega-dungeon, an overhaul is probably in order, but...

If I do make the change, and turn Roganter into Amazon.com, where every good and service is available,
the expectation will be that the group actually returns to the dungeon. If you want to skip role-playing in the town, and hand waive town exploration, I also don't think the town should be used to seek out new opportunities.

Crawl the dungeon. Return for rest and replenishment. Crawl the dungeon. Etc...

Sound fair?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#472 Post by dmw71 »

It's worth mentioning that, if any players do want a more immersive in town experience (Mila and AdaRue birth have excellent opening posts), I don't have a problem creating a new thread, maybe similar to an 'ooc' thread, where we can continue to conduct more role-playing.

I'm thinking the new "in town" thread and the current action thread would be used simultaneously, so the entire group would continue to explore the dungeon, but those of you that wanted to concurrently explore in town could do so -- the same character would essentially be running in two places, at two different times.

The only potential issue would be if something happened to one of the instances (most likely, an untimely demise in the dungeon while the same character is also exploring in town). It's not really a huge issue, but the one potential downside to having the same character running in two different places at the same time.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#473 Post by Zhym »

To be fair to you, though, I don't think "mega-dungeon" was why people joined up. I doubt anyone, including me, would complain if you decided to make it more of a sandbox.
dmw71 wrote:Fair enough. I did ask what the plans were, and the only feedback I received was the following, from onlyme:

"I'd say we are looking for a place for re-entry of the fallen and/or newbies. If there are none, I would say we would just go wherever the next hook takes us."
There was also an IC discussion of whether there was any point in going to town vs. staying in the dungeon. Keebler said he wanted to upgrade his armor. I think Junius may have been wanting to do likewise. If I recall the conversation correctly, we seemed to have at least a tentative plan to return to the dungeon after restocking.

BTW, you had Keebler know some of the surrounding area. Would he also have known how large each town was and how far of a march it would be to a town of sufficient size and resources for a restocking run?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#474 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:To be fair to you, though, I don't think "mega-dungeon" was why people joined up. I doubt anyone, including me, would complain if you decided to make it more of a sandbox.
BX, and by extension, LL, is designed to be a dungeon crawl, or at least one series after another of opportunities to find treasure. At 6xp each, I don't want to know how many goblins it would take killing to raise a party of 7+ PCs to 2nd level each without lots and lots of treasure. I think sandboxes are fine, and I enjoy running them, but they do come with the risk of extended periods of wandering aimlessly, looking for something to do.

I'm fine with this being a dungeon crawl. Prefer it, actually. So I'll work to keep it driven towards that end.
Zhym wrote:There was also an IC discussion of whether there was any point in going to town vs. staying in the dungeon. Keebler said he wanted to upgrade his armor. I think Junius may have been wanting to do likewise. If I recall the conversation correctly, we seemed to have at least a tentative plan to return to the dungeon after restocking.
Perfect. ;)
Zhym wrote:BTW, you had Keebler know some of the surrounding area. Would he also have known how large each town was and how far of a march it would be to a town of sufficient size and resources for a restocking run?
Here, I just picked the PC with the highest intelligence to be most likely to have learned and retained the information. I'm fine to assume that Keebler knows that, by original design, Roganter and Querina were both small towns. He already knew Tashal was the largest.

However, in order to help expedite the return to action, I will upgrade Roganter from a small village, to a larger one, where most normal needs and wants can be fulfilled. Not all, however. More unique requests will require further travel to Tashal, which is considerably larger.

----

Now, to my previous post about in-town play, I will still do this if anyone is interested... but, the main goal of this game will be treasure seeking.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#475 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:At 6xp each, I don't want to know how many goblins it would take killing to raise a party of 7+ PCs to 2nd level each without lots and lots of treasure.
I had to figure it out.

The current party, consisting of 1 dwarf, 1 elf, 1 halfling, 2 cleric, 2 magic-user, and 1 thief would require 17,670xp for everyone to reach 2nd-level.

That is the equivalent of 2,945 goblins (without treasure, or xp bonuses, etc...).

Have fun! :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#476 Post by Zhym »

How many goblins could we possibly kill in one day of posts? Six, maybe? So that'd be 490 days, which at 5 posts per week means it would take 90 weeks of killing six goblins per day to get everyone to 2nd level.

Yup, I think looting for treasure XP makes sense. :)

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#477 Post by Bluehorse »

Sooooo... after spending the evening taking the boys to the drive in for Captain Underpants, i see the ooc chat has exploded! LOL! Good family flick, btw. 8 of 10 for me. Back on point... i loke the dungeon crawl, but i am also a fan of an immersive world. Maybe we can balance the two? You never know when someone in the next town needs someone to break into the family crypt to retrieve a family heirloom or something, or other plot hooks. I do like the idea of treasure = xp to help us advance. Levelling is something of a slow mechanic in most games i have noticed. Not complaining, just an observation. But to answer the Sandbox vs Dungeon Crawl question, give me a few opportunities to RP here and there and I'll be thrilled either way. Maybe down the road we can get individual task or hooks. Just a passive idea. Love the game ao far! Thank you! My two copper and here's a silver for a tip.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by AleBelly »

Hey all,

Sorry, RL exploded and I am way behind. Trying to catch up ASAP.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#479 Post by dmw71 »

Bluehorse wrote:...i loke the dungeon crawl, but i am also a fan of an immersive world. Maybe we can balance the two?
To this point, I have some ideas on how to manage this, but there may be a be a few wrinkles as we work through the logistics. Essentially, here is what I'm thinking:

As soon as the group approaches town, the players will dictate what they want the characters to do. My update will jump immediately to those areas (e.g. inn, armorer, etc...), but we can role-play a bit from there. I'm thinking I will try to limit the role-playing at each stop, but may add a note when I summarize the outcome of the visit, that the players can elect to pursue or follow-up on or not.

I think it will make more sense after I post my next update, which I will try to start working on over lunch today (but probably won't finish until later as there's a lot going on).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Bluehorse »

dmw71 wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:...i loke the dungeon crawl, but i am also a fan of an immersive world. Maybe we can balance the two?
To this point, I have some ideas on how to manage this, but there may be a be a few wrinkles as we work through the logistics. Essentially, here is what I'm thinking:

As soon as the group approaches town, the players will dictate what they want the characters to do. My update will jump immediately to those areas (e.g. inn, armorer, etc...), but we can role-play a bit from there. I'm thinking I will try to limit the role-playing at each stop, but may add a note when I summarize the outcome of the visit, that the players can elect to pursue or follow-up on or not.

I think it will make more sense after I post my next update, which I will try to start working on over lunch today (but probably won't finish until later as there's a lot going on).
Sounds good to me. :)

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”