Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

Inferno
ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#61 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Mmmm. Dead. I should have guessed. I am in a bad way and need some rest." Telkis replies to Mouser. "I believe I gave one of you the map before we parted company. Anyway, it's in here," he says tapping a finger to his head. Before retiring for the night, he'll seek out some friendly field mice, and ask, if they wouldn't mind, in the course of their normal nightly activities, keeping an eye out to note the approach of any other big folk during the dark hours, and warning him if they do.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo-elf nods and yawns uncontrollably.

"On second thought, scratch looking at the map. I need some rest......badly!"

The tall druid has been without his magical blessings for longer then he wants to remember. He has his heart set on getting some much needed sleep and starting out the day with some healing and a good meal before heading off to find the trail to the marsh.

He looks again at the door into the windmill, praying that this place hasn't also been infiltrated since they were last here.

"Lets not get into any more trouble for a few hours at least. I just spent the very last drop of my magic getting us safely out of that last mess."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Inferno »

The Abandoned Windmill (NW of 24)
Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. After midnight. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Moonlight illuminates the forlorn, untended fields that surround the lonely windmill. The joyful reunion turns somber as the heroes quietly relay the fate of poor Verity Clayborne.

There follows a brief moment of anxiety before it's discovered that Telkis still carries the map taken from the dead, necromantic priestess of the desecrated church. It traces a path from Briarsgate village, through the southeastern tendril of the Dim Forest, deep into the heart of the Rushmoors Marsh. It might take two or three days' travel.

Then Telkis speaks to the mice that have overrun this unharvested cornfield, requesting their aid.

"download/file.php?id=16983 Thompson squeaks in a high pitched little voice before scurrying off.

The heroes cautiously approach the abandoned mill. There is no sign of life. No guard is posted. The window and the door are unboarded. This is all wrong.

Still, all is quiet.

The hair on the napes of their necks standing up, they quietly, breathlessly peer into the desolate structure and find the trapdoor in the floor wide open.

Sickly light and voices emanate from below:

"How long has it been since the church bells stopped ringing?!" quavers a young man.

"They must have been captured!" exclaims an old man.

"If that's true, then they will join with Them!" gasps another.

"And soon betray this place... and us! We are not safe here!"

"They could be on their way right now! We must away!"

"The old hermit knew enough to flee!"

"Let us go, while we still can!"

They begin to stampede up the wooden steps toward the heroes.

Actions?

Map:
X = the heroes.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic: PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by AleBelly »

"Hello gentlemen" says Pelias quietly. "You see from our wounds we ran into some resistance. The church of Merikka has been defiled. Her likenesses shattered, and smeared with unspeakable effluent. But we have slain the high priest and priestess. And we rescued a young lady who had endured many weeks of depraved cruelty. But she was killed by an old widow upon our escape. Hopefully she is at rest now."

He pauses. "My brave companions seem to have discovered the source of the evil...it lies not in this town. We plan to rest, heal our wounds, then be off to confront this. How are you keeping?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by rredmond »

Mouser let's the pretty paladin do the talking, but before they make it up the steps he takes his time and with great care to be quiet, will draw sword and dagger and hide in the shadows of this room.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#66 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

The cleric will stand quietly, away from the trapdoor, waiting to see the response from those below.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#67 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Seeing the Paladin taking the lead with the townies, Bo decides to put the last few moments of his magical elixir to good use. He changes into a normal crow so he can spend a little one on one time with his friend Sephus on a more personal level. The pair flits around the room, squawking and chittering away, enjoying each other's company while the others converse.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Urdur stays behind the tall folk, knowing his weapons will be of little use if it comes to that. But he prepares to cast his last spell, just in case.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Speaking softly to Mouser "Who are they? Friends of Baltus?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Inferno »

On the ground floor of the forlorn windmill, beneath titanic gears and cogs unmoving, Long Bo transforms into the shape of a black bird and soars up among them with Sephus the crow.

Wily Mouser bares Scalpel and Cat's Claw and melts into the shadows.

Then four townsfolk burst from the hidden cellar and run headlong into the remaining heroes. The villagers risk as much light as a candle will make; enough to reveal that their faces and bellies are full of fear.

"What? You've returned. What happened?!" asks a tremulous farmer as he steps back.

"Wh... where's the grey wizard? And the good sister that was with you?" stammers another fearful villager.

"...And who are these newcomers; the elf and the gnome?" quavers a nervous townsman holding a shortsword.

"You weren't followed here, were you?" trembles a fourth, knife in hand.

Two dark crows circle in the rafters as fair Pelias relays the events at the church of horrors.

A townsman exclaims, "You've killed Father Abramos? But... I've known him all my life! He couldn't have been a part of this!"

Pelias continues, "My brave companions seem to have discovered the source of the evil...it lies not in this town. We plan to rest, heal our wounds, then be off to confront this. How are you keeping?"

"H..how do we know you're not one of Them?" a jittery townsman demands.

"If they were, they'd have killed you already," grumbles the weary voice of the hermit from the doorway behind them.

"...Killed you, or worse. Now shut up."

Suddenly Telkis feels something at the edge of his person and looks down to find a mouse tugging on his cloak. "Excuse me, sir gnome. I'm ever so sorry to interrupt. But before I could spread the word across the field, a human slipped through!" Thompson says, nodding at the hermit. "I'm ever so sorry! It won't happen again!" Then he scampers away before a villager can crush him with a boot heel.

The frightened townsmen go quiet as the old beggar limps closer to the heroes and croaks, "Thank you. For what you've done. I've brung food and water. Here. There are blankets in the cellar. Rest now. We'll watch over you tonight. It's the least we can do. To show our gratitude."

Actions?

Map:
X = the heroes.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
PC Magic: PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom turns around to look at the hermit. He quickly scans the area for this large and furious four legged companion.
"You again. I thought you didn't want to get involved? What changed your mind and where's that beast of yours?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Zhym »

Grothnak Uthglukh, Uruk warrior, has not spoken since leaving the horrors of the Church of Merikka. At first, he struggled with his emotions after slaying the unholy abomination that lurked below and escaping with surprising and unsettling ease. Though he had been certain that there must have been an escape route somewhere in the tunnels below the church, believing and knowing are different things. The stench of the final tunnels warned of more evil things to fight. But he never saw them. Were they already dead? Hiding? His escape was almost too easy. Was he the victim of some sort of trickery? He felt both pride and glee at defeating evil and escaping from its lair.

This, too, bothered him, as he reflected with shame on his pride. Humility was not traditionally one of the Old Ways. Honor, valor, and fearlessness are spawn mates with boasting—usually over blood and drink as the victors crow of their own exploits. But he has learned at the wise age of 17 that humility is also a (lesser) virtue. One cannot be truly honorable while filled with pride and boastfulness. This, too, occupied his thoughts as he silently made his way to the mill.

Outside the mill, he stared stone-faced at the giggling paladin. Grothnak's impassiveness turned to seething anger when he learned that Verity was dead.

Another villager I failed to protect, he thought. How many more will I fail?

That Pelias, who had sworn to protect the girl and foolishly and cowardly fled through the window, could laugh enraged Grothnak. He scowled and stared at the paladin, wondering if Pelias's god would punish him, but said nothing. His words would do too little, and too much. Even when Mouser said that the widow Hochstedt "got what she deserved," Grothnak did not speak up to correct him. The old woman was under an evil spell. Her death may have been necessary. But no one in this town deserves the fate that seems set for them. Set, unless he can stop it. Until he stops it. As he must. As he will.

Mute and scowling, he accompanied the others into the mill. When the old man appeared and offered to watch the party as they sleep, Grothnak finally speaks.

"I am, to my shame, mostly uninjured," he says. "I will stand guard with you while others rest."

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by rredmond »

Grey Mouser:

Mouser's shoulders sag with weariness as he sees the hermit. Still not trusting, he stays within the shadows waiting until the 1/2 orc finishes his internal narration and speaks. Then he steps forward as he sheaths his blades at the same time. Looking at Hoom he responds to the unanswered question:
Hoom wrote:Speaking softly to Mouser "Who are they? Friends of Baltus?"
"No friends of Baltus as far as I can tell... but friends of the Hermit yes," he adds with a smile. "I for one will rest, now where's that food?"

His plan is to eat, sleep and prepare to be able to cast a new spell.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis gives Thompson the mouse a sign with his pinky, a slight twitch, and a nearly inaudible squeak that combined mean "this one's ok."

"Hello again, sir. Glad to see you are well," he says to the hermit, eyeing him for signs of duplicity, though in this town, he's not sure what he'd be looking for, exactly, other than murderous raving lunacy. Seeing none of that, he goes inside, grabs a bite to eat and retires to begin healing his many wounds.

As he passes the villagers he gestures to Urdur. "Fellow gnome. Illusionist. You can trust him."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#76 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Brow swoops down from the heights of the windmill before the potion wears off and gravity takes over. He lands on the shoulder of the hermit, trying to get some type of reaction from the man he still believes to be one of his own kind. From there he flits to the ground and returns to his natural form.

"I am right here, and I can assure you all that we weren't followed here. I cant speak for the three who went off on their own, though. How did you manage to get out of there with your heads still attached? At any rate, I am glad to see that we can again converse with the remaining good people of Briarsgate. And this time with far better news to report. We did indeed foil the plans of the evil priests of your temple, for truly evil they must have been. I don't believe that a simple possession is strong enough to do the sacrilegious things we saw inside that gods forsaken place. I am actually inclined to believe that the priests themselves must have been the initial instigators of this mess your town is currently in. I still cant believe that, after what we just witnessed, none of you knew that the clergy was involved. You will understand what I mean once you witness the horrors in there for yourselves. The entire second floor of the place was covered in all manner of filthy, blasphemes, scrawlings. They even employed the undead to do their will .....and goblins.....stinking goblins. Does that sound like something your old friend Father Abramos would do?"

Once done with his theatrics, the exhausted human thanks the hermit and follows the lead of the others, eating , drinking, and finally resting.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#77 Post by SocraticLawyer »

"Name's Urdur," says the gnome. "We found an escape route in the dungeon, although it was not without its dangers." He shudders in remembrance of what he witnessed down there.

"Make no mistake, I am committed to rooting out this evil, just you all are. It's personal now. It was bad enough when they kidnapped me and locked me in a cell. But then they took my best friend from me...." Urdur remembers his poor dog, Mittens, who gave his life for his master.

Urdur also looks forward to resting, although it will be difficult to do so after the horrors he has witnessed.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Inferno »

Within the shadowed shelter of the abandoned windmill, Hoom says to the hermit: "You again. I thought you didn't want to get involved? What changed your mind and where's that beast of yours?"

"Home," the old beggar grunts. "...And you changed my mind. When you burned down the Golden Grain Inn."

In the guise of a crow, the grey druid hops on the hermit's shoulder wanting a reaction. "Don't shit on me, bird," is all he garners.

Long Bo assumes the form of Man and shares details of the horrors at the temple, ending with: "They even employed the undead to do their will .....and goblins.....stinking goblins. Does that sound like something your old friend Father Abramos would do?"

"N-no," stammers a crestfallen villager with grief. "I cannot believe it... It's inconceivable."

The hermit rests a cracked hand on the defeated man's shoulder and turns to Bo. "Goblins?" his gravelly voice says. "That explains why the Red Cloak tribe has been so quiet."

Grothnak, the hermit and the villagers take turns on watch. The long dark night passes without incident but not without worry.

At last, dawn is heralded by a growing stain of light upon the oppressive grey shroud over Briarsgate.

The heroes have survived the night.

Actions? and also please see Experience Points Award, here.
Also, everyone please roll vs. Healing Rates. Casters, your spell 'slots' are refreshed.

Map:
X = the heroes.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 4/4 1st lvl and 3/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 3/3 2nd lvl and 1/1 3rd lvl
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 2/2 1st lvl
PC Magic:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo: 10 Con, heals 1 hit point
Long Bo stretches for a while after he wakes, contorting his already freakishly long body into all sorts of hard to look at poses. He eats and drinks, trying to regain as much strength as possible. Once the group is assembled, he expresses a few thoughts.

"I imagine that some of you think we should go back under the church to see what else can be found there? I believe that we should instead, leave this town be for now and follow the map into the marsh. That is where we will find the source of this curse, I'm sure of it. We all saw those far too human-like reptile creatures we fought. As much as I hate to say this, the swamp is where we need to go next."

After the comment about the local goblin tribes, Bo is now thoroughly convinced that this hermit is more than he seems. He speaks to the man politely and with the utmost of respect.

"We have put a small tear into the cults plans, but it won't matter if we don't take quick advantage of our little victory. You have done much for us already and I thank you all again sincerely. But to make the utmost haste, we will require one more thing. Do you have any mounts to spare that we may make haste to these marshes?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Zhym »

After a full night of guard duty and some rest, Grothnak's ire has subsided. He has work to do. Grudges will not help.

"There is nothing for us under the church," he says. "And we can do no more in town. We must find the source of the curse and destroy it."

He looks at the battered, beaten company. "As soon as we are healthy enough to fight," he adds.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”