Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 10b: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#41 Post by Inferno »

Village of Briarsgate, Gran March, Greyhawk
Day Eight. After midnight. Sunday, October 23nd, 576 CY
Cloudy, damp, cold, misty

Alone within a small wood at the northeastern edge of Briarsgate, Hoom frees his sword and cries, "Who's there? Baltus Ardwyck? Show yourself!"

The figure obeys and comes toward him, stepping into the spectral moonlight.

It's a teenage girl. She had been standing alone in a dark grove in the dead of night.

"Baltus Ardwyck?" the young woman repeats with a curious smile. "I am not he. You're an elf, aren't you, sir?" she asks as she comes closer, moving to walk past Hoom.

Actions?

Upon wings as dark as midnight...

...the wondrous flying steed and its disbelieving riders gracefully dive down toward the lake in the center of Briarsgate village.

The heroes soar south, just above its dark, still surface without leaving nary a ripple to disturb the reflection of the harvest moon.

They arc east before reaching the old, covered bridge and sail overland to the Gade family farm (19) whose barnyard betrays nothing amiss.

As they glide over the farmhouse, they see curtains drawn, light burning inside, and one window that had been shattered is now repaired.

200 feet to the north, the temple gate is shut. Behind it glow lanterns.

The dreamlike pegasus begins to bank left in the direction where Hoom Feethos was last seen heading.

Actions?

Map:
X=heroes. L=areas of light visible to the heroes. Hoom is off the map, to the northeast.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
PC Magic: PC Resources:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by rredmond »

Mouser keeps his eyes peeled for Hoom. But he takes a good long look when they dip near the Gade farm, to see if he notices anything suspicious. "Hey Bo," he says, "any idea when these potions wear off?"
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#43 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bogasus neighs softly as he shakes his head up and down at Mousers question, climbing quickly in elevation now. He banks hard left again, attempting to fly over the church gates at a safe height to see what the light there will present.

After flying over the south east corner of the temple walls, he resumes his northeastern direction, hoping to spot either Hoom, or the villagers who were hunting him.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by AleBelly »

"Don't draw attention to him!" chides Pelias. "To the mill! Before we are detected!"

Pelias is dimly aware that someday, far in the future (if he indeed has one), he may look back on this experience fondly - if he can separate it from the horrors he encountered in Briarsgate.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom straightens his posture as he places his short sword back into it's scabbard.
Not viewing the child as a threat he allows her to get closer.
"Yes child, I am an elf. What are you doing out here in the woods at night?"

OOC: Have I given my pursuers the slip or they still on my trail?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Inferno »

In a dark copse on the threshold of the village of the damned, Hoom sheaths his sword and says, "Yes child, I am an elf. What are you doing out here in the woods at night?"

"I heard the church bells," the girl replies as she keeps moving past him.

When she nears the edge of the wood, she suddenly screams toward the village. "Over here! Over heeeere!

Actions?

The winged horse bears the heroes over from the lit farmhouse of the Gade family (L1).

Mouser's keen eyes spy shadows moving behind the drawn curtains of the home. The heroes fly north, back to the church of horrors (21).

They sail over the temple under cover of darkness and see figures with lanterns far below standing inside the gate (L2).
More are grouped where Lem Hochstedt was cut down and the Widow felled (L3). The largest group, with hounds, stands outside the north wall where the heroes last touched the earth (L4). Having lost the scent, they backtrack east.

The ebon pegasus arcs northeast and sails toward a wide, open field where a lonely scarecrow stands vigil.

There is no sign of Hoom. Yet.

Then suddenly, far ahead, a distant figure of a girl bursts from a small grove, running toward them. "Over here!" she shrieks. "Over heeeeere!"

Actions?!

Map:
X=heroes. L=areas of light visible to the heroes. Hoom is off the map, to the northeast. So is the shrieking girl.

PC Status:
  • Avril Hollysword, Half-Elf Fighter/Cleric 1/2: Move: 9", AC: 7, HP: 7/10, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl
    Grey Mouser, Half-Elf Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 5, HP 8/10, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Hoom Feethos, Elven Magic-User/Thief 1/2: Move: 9", AC 3, HP 3/8, Spells: 0/1 1st lvl
    Ingrid Esthof, Human Cleric 3: Move: 6", AC: 3(1), HP: 4/16, Spells: 0/4 1st lvl and 0/3 2nd lvl
    Long Bo, Human Druid 3: Move: 9", AC: 6, HP: 3/22, Spells: 0/5 1st lvl, 0/3 2nd lvl and 0/1 3rd lvl
    Pelias Blanchflower, Human Paladin 2: Move: 9", AC: 2(0), HP: 4/19, Laying Hands: 0/1
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by rredmond »

"I swear by the black pegasus if it weren't for the paladin, dead, every villager," Mouser whispers quietly to himself. "I think I know where Hoom is," he says louder and with a smile to the Bogasus, "and we'd better get there quickly." He indicates the grove the screaming girl just burst out of.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Disliking children even more now, Bogasus banks again at the nudging of those tailing along behind. He heads straight for the screaming girl and flies towards the northeast from there. If he can spot the solo elf, and more importantly, a safe spot to land, (and take off again) the transformed druid does so.

If there is no safe place to pick up the elf in his current position, the druid flies as close to the treetops as possible once he spots him, hoping that he will at least see us or hear the flapping of huge wings from above. Looking out for the closest clearing to land in, the morphed man attempts to lead Hoom in that same direction so he can also be saved from a fate worse than death.

Failing both of those things, Bo will immediately bring his many passengers to the safety of the windmill, doing a fly by of that building first to make sure the coast is still clear there.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

"Damn you child and your whole village!"
Hoom takes off running again this time due east. Taking the route that would place him into woods, the thicker the better. Once inside his the woods his natural abilities to blend and move without a trace will allow him brief moments of rest until he reached safety.
At this point he figures he'll have to run all the way to Hookhill for peace.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

"OVER HERE! OVER HEEEERE!"

"Damn you child and your whole village!" Hoom curses as he quickly moves east through the thin copse of trees. He glances back once and wishes he hadn’t. The villagers who hunt him, elusive shadow figures with lanterns and hounds (L4), are now racing across the open field toward the screaming girl (G)... and him.

The lights become brighter. Barks and shouts grow louder. Then the small grove gives out on Hoom, opening onto more fields.

Suddenly a dark shape soars overhead!

Impossibly, atop it ride Avril and Ingrid, and trailing behind them float Mouser and Pelias in a state of seeming weightlessness! Hoom can hardly believe his eyes. Avril and Mouser’s halfelven eyes see the elf's warmth lurking among the shadows of the trees (H). They signal and, like something out of a dream, the black, winged steed descends to Earth not 25 feet from Hoom. (X)

Actions?!

Map:
X=heroes. H=Hoom. L4=Lantern light. G=Girl.
Trees on the map don't signify individual trees but rather, a wooded area.

PC Status:
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by rredmond »

Mouser in anger at how far south this was all going, safely stows his poison and gets a sling stone to throw at the back of the girl's head. Realizing it would be a difficult shot at the end range of his ability and vision, but hoping their height helps, he focuses his rage and lets fly:

Cracking the back of the yelling girl's head: [1d20] = 20
Well holy crap! Glad my wife and daughters are out, because I just yelled a bit loudly :)
Totally wasn't expecting to roll damage, and still might not be able to if the DM says it was too far, but that 20 made it worth it!

Sling stone (though I understand there may be adjustments): [1d4+4] = 1+4 = 5
Crap, I screwed up the bonus too, so it's actually 1d4 (which was a 1) plus 1. So technically the damage is 2HPs. Still I hope it knocked a dent in her head!
Hey Hoom! he says to their wayward friend, we're here to rescue you!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The next character that kills an innocent townsfolk for no reason is getting left behind!!! Even if they are being super annoying. :lol:
Bogasus trots over to where Hoom is. With no more room to ride along up top, he turns his ass to the elf, hoping that the floaters will grab ahold of him so they can take off again before being spotted.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#53 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Absolutely in shock, Hoom mentally cross off an imaginary list in his mind at witnessing such a bizarre sight. The event falls just below flying pigs and above the underworld freezing over. The runs to his comrades at the rear and holds on to both of them.
"What ever you do, don't drop me!"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by AleBelly »

"Let's GO!" Pelias whisper/shouts as the townsfolk approach.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Inferno »

As the obsidian pegasus soars toward Hoom, Mouser sorely wishes he could stone the shrieking girl. But he cannot load and fire a sling stone while still hanging onto the flying steed. And once they land, the woods lay between his anger and the girl. He can no longer see her. But he knows he could have killed her for sure, given the chance.

The little thief can see approaching lantern beams through the trees, though.

"Let's GO!" whispers Pelias as he and Mouser each hang onto Bo's fantastical, conjured form with one hand and Hoom with the other. Suddenly, inconceivably, they are all airborne again with Hoom in tow!

On ebon wings, they climb up into the night sky before the earthbound villagers can reach them with axes and pitchforks.

Distant, cold stars wheel overhead as the flying steed turns west in a surreal, wondrous journey across the frigid, black heavens.

Below, Briarsgate village is dark except for their pursuers near the temple, and the light at the Gade family farm.

Breathless in disbelieving astonishment, they fly to freedom and their windmill rendezvous.

Soon they alight in the field that surrounds the abandoned windmill (NW of 24). All is quiet. They creep to within 60 feet southeast of it and Avril and Hoom see no warmth nearby. Its window is unboarded but strangely, no guard is posted.

Suddenly three shadowy figures approach from the east. They head directly for the heroes. It's Grothnak, Telkis and Urdur! Against all odds, the weary heroes are alive and reunited (at X).

Actions?

Map:
X=the heroes.

PC Status:
    Grothnak Uthglukh, Half-Orc Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/28
    Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 0, HP: 5/28
    Urdur Shimmerstone, Gnome Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC 6, HP 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
Last edited by Inferno on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 11: The Village of the Bodysnatchers

#56 Post by Scott308 »

Ingrid Esthof

Telkis! Urdur! Grothnak! We were afraid we'd never see you again. I'm glad you made it out.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias is happy to see the trio, apparently unharmed. So giddy in fact, that he forgets his troubles for a moment. The paladin makes a farting noise with his mouth as he levitates off the ground...as if breaking wind propels him from the earth.

He giggles as he settles back down to earth. "They didn't get to them comrades. Grothnak would have died fighting. Glad to see you all!"

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"I believe you chose correctly, after all, going through the window, though I don't know how you managed," says Telkis, hardly able to believe the others weren't run down by the hounds. He was certain he'd never see all of them again. "You wouldn't believe... below the temple. It was a mass of... the sound of it... er..." He finds himself utterly unable to describe the horrible thing they witnessed in the crypts, unable to keep a clear mental picture of it in his mind. Finally he looks around and does a silent head count. "Where's the girl that we saved?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by rredmond »

ChubbyPixie wrote:"Where's the girl that we saved?"
"Dead," Mouser responds grimly, "by Hochstedt. But the widow got what she deserved afterwards." The magic using thief takes a few breaths, and then he asks, "so we made the windmill, against all odds. What next? It seems the whole town is in enthralled in the evil forces against us!" Mouser kicks a stone on the ground in anger.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo lets the girls dismount before changing back into a wood elf this time, not wanting to waste the potions amazing power on a rescue only.

"Lets have a look at the trail on that map right quick before we get ready to rest here in the basement of this windmill."

While he waits, he looks around for any sign of the villagers that were here the last time.

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”