"Pluck a pair of pansies"
*squish squish snap*
"Smear them red with handsies!"
*ehehehe...*
"Hear them scream, hear them moan,"
*snap, scream*
"Right down to the BONE!"

*End of audio recording*

The police chief's face tightens in pain as he rewinds the tape again, hoping that he did not miss anything. This has been the 47th homicide of this kind since last month, and all of Atlas City's finest have yet to apprehend this vile fiend. Rumors permeate the alleyways of the industrial sector, a hotspot for said killings, that the killer is not a man, but an animal, an animal in a man suit. One always know it is coming by the sound of maniacal laughter, demented, twisted, always... always right before a street genocide. In a far away underground institute, Cersei smiles as reports of her loved one's art flourishes the screen in bright hues of red.

-----

"In other news today, we have reports coming from downtown Lake Avenue, and good ones at that Donny."

"Do share Cecil! We could all use some good news after that grisly Industrial business."

"Today is the grand opening of the Spectacular 8 Memorial, honoring the great heroes of the Paragon Squad for their efforts in making Atlas City a place of safety for all. Visiting times will start this Saturday morning at 8 o'clock sharp! You've heard it first, from ACNN! This is Cecil,"

"and this is Donny, signing off!"

A streak of light is seen and man slowly walks up to the memorial with a bouquet in hand. The Paragon Squad had many friends and supporters, many of them being supers; it would not have been uncommon to see such a sight, but what happened afterward shook the people of Atlas City to the core. Unbeknownst to those at the event, the super was one of the two members of the Paragon Squad that went MIA during their glory years. He went by the name of Blake, but now...

"Raven, where ever you are right now, I hope your watching this. I really do. This one is for you! Hehehehe..." Hot Streak flips a switch in the bundle of flowers and speeds away just as quickly as he came. A crowd of people form around the memorial as the local parade begins. Those who mourn the loss of the 8 heroes gather and pay their respects. It all ended abruptly when the bouquet finished its countdown timer.

The first act of successful terrorism occurred within the heart of Atlas City just moments ago, as the recently erected memorial of the Spectacular 8 was blown to smithereens in a miniature thermo-nuclear detonation. The blast razed the entire south eastern portion of the Atlas City and killed countless thousands. The numbers are still increasing...

Hot Streak watches the news coverage of this terrible tragedy from his new HQ in the Industrial sector of Atlas City. "Raven, your friends, or what ever friends you have left, they won't be able to save you from what's coming. I WILL make your life a living hell, and now that our old squad is now dead, I will start working on the new one you joined not too long ago..." With the help of Vorpal as his steady right hand man, Cowboy, running the underground organization of the Eye in the background in all of their villainous schemes, and Laughing Genocide, a beast of a man who has broken free from his mortal coil and wanders the streets of Atlas City, Hot Streak was able to put together a group of villains unparalleled in destructive influence since the old days of the nasty greats. Atlas City's best have yet to put them down or even figure out where they are. After today, their names will go down in history for all time.

-----

Meanwhile, in a far away island in the Pacific, a mastermind of evil works on moving forward with his greatest plan yet! "The coordinates that my inside man gave to the military has worked flawlessly! The heroes delivered to me the key component that I needed to finish my greatest weapon yet. With this... I will commence in terraforming the entire planet, and usher it into a new age of Ichnorite!" He laughs maniacally as he stands upon a pedestal in an underground bunker. He looks upon his latest creation of with raised arms as the fueling engine starts to engage.

Behind the man known Symbiosis, is a vast army of cybernetic mutant super soldiers, before him... Rook Industries' giant ichnorite crystal formation, freshly teleported from its power plant in Atlas City's industrial sector.

A silent figure stands in the back of the bunker room, concealed in the shadows, but just barely visible to those who would look. Hidden underneath a hat and large trench coat, the man carries a suitcase and but only smiles as he witnesses the beginning of many things to come.

-----

The Laughing Genocide could never truly be controlled or considered an ally for too long. Just as quickly as he became a part of Hot Streak's group of villainy, so too did he vanish with a sadistic laugh into the shadows of the Industrial Sector. Cowboy, being the genius hacker that he was, found that his allegiances with The Eye was stronger than they were with Hot Streak, but no harm no foul as the saying goes. The Cowboy may be doing his own thing somewhere in the underworld of the cyberspace, but he has not forgotten his old alliance with Hot Streak and his crew. Perhaps one day, he will lend assistance in his own unique way when the group gets into a pinch... Vorpal, however, proved to be as loyal as comrades came. A brother in arms against the corrupt system of heroism, Vorpal commands respect amongst many and proves to be a shield and sword for Hot Streak as the need arises, for he is never too far away.

You may post, Monsieur Rose, GreyWolfVT, when you are ready.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Chapter 1 (Villain Arc)

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hot Streak watches the news broadcast smiling sadistically and admiring his handy work "Finally made a name for myself, and all it took was a little walk down a different path.
As a Hero I was ignored! Neglected! Kicked out of my own group! A figure in the background! Stabbed in the back by my own friend! No more, I shall make the world burn! Even that maniac Symboisis won't stop me, him and his little super mutant army...pah! what a joke. Enjoy your time while you still breathe Raven, you end is nearer than you would know."
pounding his fists on the bar as if to emphasize his anger he turns to his right hand man a devious look in his eyes "Vorpal what say we send out the gang for a bit of fun? I've a plan and a place in mind." that same devilish look Vorpal knows all too well reappears on Hot Streak's face. "The Cowboy is gone for now but know we can use him I'm sure if we need to down the road but this wont require his skills, and Laughing Genocide bah he is better off for now causing his chaos that comes o so naturally to him. For this we'll just need a bit of brute force and the numbers. We're going to stomp a boot on the throat of the city." breaking into an evil laugh the scene fades out on the secret base of Vorpal and Hot Streak, and soo the scene flashes over to a PPD HQ much removed from the industrial areas of Altas... a delivery truck parks in front of the building and some familiar men exit the truck and disappear into an alley. A voice over a radio to one of the men in the alley "Get ready to open the package men." Hot Streaks voice. "Alright the time is NOW!" one of the men pulls out a small remote and presses a button. The truck in front of the PPD station explodes. "Good work now return to base."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

Just as you would anticipate, chaos quickly ensues around the police station. Heroes are being called over to investigate and help out, and the sector is being evacuated of its citizens to the designated emergency shelters. What makes this an unusual occurrence is that many of the heroes assigned to this area were already sent to the site of the terrorist attack that happened but a short while ago. They were not prepared for a consecutive attack in another part of the city. The heroes are slow to arrive, and the villains in the nearby area, as well as petty criminals, are looking to take advantage of the situation.

Vorpal's men are ready to carry out the next part of your plan, if there is one.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hot Streak turns the news back on always loving to watch his own handy work as it is being reported. "A little chaos goes a long way Vorpal." he smiles sadistically "Now shall we go knock on the doors of an old friend?" the evil smile returning to his face Vorpal's eyes roll be fore he asks "What do you have in mind? How many men will we need?" then waiting patiently for a reply Vorpal calls his top men to make sure the boys have returned from the police station bombing. Hot Streak raises an eyebrow questioningly "Well lets see how well ol Sym likes his creations being blown up. I've heard rumor of some activity that might be him or at least some of his creations being unleashed." Vorpal gives a half smile "Ok I'm in, been itching for a bit of a work out." the man stretches his arm and gives a few swings of his sword arm.

Taking out a map the sinister mind that is Hot Streak points to a location near to Rook industries "Remember the odd mutants in the sewers, been hearing that some have been seen in fair numbers near Rook industries. Lets go take a look shall we? I think both our bombings have got the capes busy for a bit. Though we might have one other place to distract them with." that same evil smile returning to his face "Get another truck loaded with the barrels and explosives and send it over to the hospital. Once we're near Rook industries have the boys set off the little present at the hospital." Figuring three disasters in one day aught to keep most of the capes attention elsewhere Hot Streak goes off to gather his pyropack and prepare to do some fighting of his own bringing the muscle with him.

Vorpal and Hot Streak head out to a warehouse near Rook Industries to check out the mutated beings sighted in that area. The best men Vorpal can spare set out to do a similar act as the police station. This time a truck that used to belong to the company that delivers scrubs and clean floor mats to the hospitals parks near the loading dock and the men set off again to a hiding spot within the range of the detonator do the same thing again though this time the truck is not high explosives it's more of a fire bomb meant to set the hospital ablaze with a fire that should take a long time to extinguish.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

That was all kinds of bad.

Vincent was in the middle of hell. Moments ago he was somebody, a notable local official here to start the parade. Now, he was himself again. A ghost of his former self, unable to feel, unable to touch. What the hell happened?

Vince looked around and took stock of the situation. He was inhabiting Councilman Price, here to preside over the parade at the unveiling of the monument. A simple job, really. But later, Mr. Price was going to be caught in the wrong place with the wrong people, and pictures would have been taken. Now, Mr. Price will be spared that indignity. He wasn't spared, though.

Being torn from a host is never a pleasant thing. Vince had it happen a half dozen times in the last few years since he became what he is. What am I anyway? A ghost? A spirit? An Angel? This time was different, however. This time the host just dissolved away from him. The shock of forced separation always took a few moments to clear up, this time was worse. A minute had passed since the incident, and now people were starting to arrive on the fringes of the blast zone.

Looking around there was only destruction as far as he could see. Time to go. The capes are going to be all over this. Vince tried to avoid the heroes of the city, and as far as he knew they didn't even know he existed. He liked it that way. This, however, would be bad. So much attention, and he didn't even do it. Floating away, Vince kept his eyes peeled for someone, anyone, still alive in this mess. A survivor. Yes, a survivor could be used nicely. All sorts of attention and fame would be showered upon them. If only I could find one...
Per check (16) =[3d6] = 13
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Wed May 17, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rukellian »

Monsieur, a perception check will be called for. It will be a 3d6 roll against your Per stat. Anything equal to or less than your score will be a success. A 3 or 4 will be a crit success, and a 17 or 18 will be a fail to crit fail.

The campaign ID for the Unseen Servant Dice Roller will be 558, if that is something you want to use.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rukellian »

Vince's senses have not dulled, even in this transitional state of living and not. Buried underneath some rubble, near a building that got hit by the blast, you hear the muffled cries of someone in pain. How this poor soul survived the devastation that just occurred, you have no way of knowing, but one thing you do know, he's alive and has enough energy to cry for help.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Vincent

Vince hears a miraculous survivor. Moving towards the cries, he attempts to get close enough to discern whether the survivor is in good enough shape to continue living. Hopefully he's in decent shape, no use to me if he dies in a day.

Vince will pass through the debris in an attempt to reach the man, and determine if he's viable. If so Vince will try to posess him.
per check (16) = [3d6] = 8
posession check = [3d6] = 10

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

It is a young man, early twenties. The fallen hero on top of him paints a rosy picture. The hero must of thrown himself on top of the guy to shield him from the blast, a last act of heroism to save some one's life. The man is bruised and pinned down under the heavy hero, but he's in stable condition.

A closer look of his attire reveals a name tag from a local company, Chiron Pharmaceuticals. He has the title of Technician....

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Vincent

He will do nicely. Shame about the mess though. Chiron, huh? I think I've heard of them.

Vince will attempt to possess the technician. [3d6] = 10

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rukellian »

Gurps Saving Throw/Quick Contest with large debuff [3d6-4] = 10-4 = 6

The young man, in pain and barely clinging to consciousness, suffers a penalty to resist the possession (the -4) and with a starting will of only 10, he had to get a 6 or less. He got his on the nose, but you succeeded your roll by +6. You won. This was a good example of a GURPS quick contest. A battle of wills if you will. The young man is now under your possession.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Vincent
Chiron Technician

It's always a interesting feeling, inhabiting someone for the first time. A bit like trying on a new suit. Maybe the sleeves are too long, maybe the waist needs to be let out. An acclimation period is always necessary. That, and a tailor.

Vince tries to access the memories of this man, to learn his name and the names of any family. Then Vince will try and learn any work codes or passwords. Finally, he'll try to learn any interesting secrets.

Vince calls out a few times, trying out his new voice "HELP!! I'm trapped here! HELP!"

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hot Streak having caused plenty of distractions back in the city arrives near the warehouse close by to Rook Industries. He and Vorpal scout the area from a nearby alley. Looking for anything resembling the mutated brutes Symbiosis had them fight back on his island. "What do you think old friend take the main entrance or bust in from the roof or the back? Or as an alternative we make our own entrance." that last part he ends with a sinister smile something that he's been doing a lot of lately, a chill goes down Vorpal's spine thinking of that.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rukellian »

For Monsieur:
Vincent is able to get most of the young man's history very quickly, since you know, his life is flashing before his eyes and all that. ;)

You learn his name and the names of his immediate family as well as their faces (I'm too lazy right now to make them up, you can choose). He lives nearby and was visiting the memorial to pay his respects. He works for Chiron Pharmaceuticals as a top technician on an important project. The project hasn't been released to the public yet and it is still in its testing phases, but if you are correct in what you are seeing in his memories, it is the big next in emergency medical services, an automatic teleportation system capable of rescuing heroes who could potentially die in combat. The technology would be revolutionary and for that, it is a closely guarded secret, or.... was. Still, the guy doesn't know all of the passwords by heart, them being changed every day for security purposes; however, he does have clearance to access more information on the project, since he's been helping develop it.

The voice you try out is hoarse and weak. Fortunately for you, it was loud enough to attract the attention of a nearby individual. You see some rubble being quickly moved off you and the hero pinning you to the ground. A first responder has come to help! The guy looks like he could be an ordinary citizen from the way he is dressed, but instead of the expected flurry of questions pointed towards a victim of some tragic accident, all you receive is silence and acknowledgement that you are hurt.

If you want to learn more about the guy through observation, a 3d6 against your Perception is all that is needed for now.
For GreyWolfVT:
Vorpal says in a low tone. "I know how much you like making a scene and being all flashy, but I think you've created enough fun for the supers. No need to draw any unnecessary attention this way. Let's just go in take care of them, and get out, quickly if we can." It sounds like your partner wants to err on the side of caution, but the smile on his face also says that he will enjoy the upcoming brawl. Vorpal starts to look for a way in and spots a few windows. "If we jump off the dumpsters over there, we can reach the window and get through that way. Uh... how many of those freaks did you say were around here?"

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Hot Streak nods as Vorpal speaks his mind "Likely a good idea, as you said I don't want the supers turning attention here that was the point of my flashy acts back in the city. Number to that I am not sure perhaps you're thinking we should have brought backup?" pondering that for a moment "Well unfortunately I didn't wish to get any of your men killed here,
yeah I know how caring of me right? Well that aside we're got our small army all our cohorts are busy or awol at the moment so it's just us for the moment. Though I'm confident that other villains are around they just haven't met us yet. lets go."
with that Blake runs over to the spot indicated by Vorpal then runs back being as he is faster of the two relaying if the coast is clear before rushing back to the spot and awaiting the muscle to arrive at the entry point.
Ruke you'll have to provide me with the correct rolls or macros I should have for GURPS that or I'll just copy what Rose is doing. ;)

SuperSpeed (30) [1d100] = 4
Per (13) [3d6] = 10

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rukellian »

Your super speed skill is automatic, but you will need to roll against your Stealth skill of 14 to remain unseen. The roll is a 3d6 and you need to hit 14 or less to succeed in staying stealthy while super speeding.

Your perception roll succeeded. You find that the coast is indeed clear.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Vince
Chiron Technician "Hector Smith"

Vince is visibly relieved that someone showed up "Thank god you're here! I think I'm ok. Get me out of here!"

Why is this guy so serious? He just found a survivor, maybe the only one...

Perception (16) [3d6] = 11

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rukellian »

The look on his face says you are the only one he's found so far. The mans eyes quickly survey the situation, showing a level of quick information gathering skill. You're pretty sure he noticed your badge; however, instead of getting to you first, he checks the pulse on the hero on top of you. After a few seconds, he quickly places his hand on the hero's back. It is then that you see the hand faintly glow from underneath. The hero convulses momentarily and then starts to cough. It looks like the man just saved the hero from near death.

From what you saw in that short time, you can tell he moves efficiently and doesn't waste time with anything. He could be a hero, or former military. The fact that he healed someone with just his hand lends credit to the former. You can't see much of his lower face since he is wearing a dust mask. He continues his silence.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

and for Hot Streak & Vorpal stealth roll above results awaiting sir ;)

Return to “Rebirth of Power (4e GURPS)”