OOC IV

AleBelly
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC IV

#201 Post by Storm11 »

We could always try and hire some magic-using or illusionistic henchmen. We have Galan though so we aren't completely without magic-using assistance, and if he survives that long Angus will be able to use some magic-using spells.

It's not mandatory to have a magic-user in the party though.
Greys Campaign.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:With that in mind, we might as well talk about the magic user situation. Arnulf's mute automaton is with us for now, but we lose him (I assume) when (or if) we get out of the prison and back to the fort. Adventuring without an MU isn't a great idea, and most of our last batch of newbies seems to have dwindled. Any ideas what we should do?
It could be awhile before we have to address this, so we probably don't need to rush things. But it has been on my mind.

My first thought was that this isn't really that big of a deal. Many of the seasoned PCs are far beyond level 1-2, where having an M-U with a sleep spell is extremely helpful to fighting low-level monsters. Note that Arnulf didn't even bother to memorize sleep for the current foray.

There are several ways to recruit members. As I've said before, if the players want to advertise for a specific class in game (that is, posting in Alleborg's town square or the Sambord fort), I'll translate that into a recruitment post in the LFP thread. Storm11's idea of recruiting NPCs is also viable, especially in areas where the PCs may have gained some cachet. But NPCs aren't risk-free...they may be spies or interests may not be aligned with the party. In other words, the PCs won't be able to boss around NPCs that are of similar levels to the players.

Another option, of course, is to allow someone else to take over Arnulf. I've pretty much decided that unless a player categorically states that they're leaving the game, I won't do this. Maybe if Arnulf lays dormant for a year or so this would be possible, but then there are other factors to consider. Not the least of which is Zorro's unique and highly entertaining way of playing Arnulf. I think someone else would have a hard time stepping into his shoes.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Storm11 »

Do we know what spells are in his spell book even? If he has identify we could keep him at base and pay his boarding fees and get him to divine what new magic items powers are that we find. Having him cast invisibility on those who plan to scout out before us could be great, though they usually waste such a spell at the first sign of conflict by attacking instead of letting others soak up that part.

In our face to face game we haven't had an actual magic-user pc in years. We currently have a 1st/2nd level female halfling fighter/thief, a 3rd level male human monk, a 6th level male gnome illusionist and a 7th level female human sun cleric. We just lost a 6th level half-elven female ranger to a bone devil and a mine collapse. Not having a magic-user isn't such a big problem in my experience. It usually just gives others a chance to shine, and we have illusionists and druids and clerics and rangers and fighters and thieves and monks so we have pretty much all bases covered. As Galan eventually levels up his own magic will be extremely useful.
Last edited by Storm11 on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by tkrexx »

FWIW, tho I do miss Arnulf's banter and power, in the wayback my crew begat a game with 6 PCs: 1 Human FTR, 1 Dwarf FTR, 1 Elf THF, 1 Human CLC, 1 Human MU and 1 Human ILL. We just made 3rd lvl when the MU died, and the DM allowed him to roll up another PC, but it had to start at 1st lvl. This always poses a series of problems, of course, not the least of which is the life expectancy, and limited spell capacity of a new MU. The player instead created a Druid with a high WIS. Life expectancy and spell capacity somewhat improved, still all the spellcasters had to get their heads together to compensate for the lack of an MU. It was interesting and fun, but presented a whole set of challenges none of the present players had encountered before. Most notable was that the party was very successful for another 3 lvls.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by AleBelly »

Thanks for the input all.

I'll have an update hopefully tomorrow. We have a player who's trying to decide if they can continue to play. If not, I'll NPC the character and we'll move on - I don't plan for the updates to be this infrequent going forward...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:"Stop them critters casting!" calls out Angus as he slices the one next to him with Ilfrien's sword.

Leddilir v. evil humanoid (THAC0 17): [1d20] = 20 [1d8+6] = 5+6 = 11/[1d12+6] = 9+6 = 15 (SM/L), Crit: [1d100] = 32

Roll includes +4 ranger damage bonus and +2 sword to-hit & damage bonus. If the sword has any other special bonuses in this situation, I don't know of them.
Angus might be vying for the "party bad-ass" role vacated by Ilfrien.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Zhym »

If only they had less than one HD. :D

Also:
onlyme wrote:roll keeps resulting in the below, which I believe translates to a 20 with max damage.

Microsoft Cursor Engine error '80004005'

Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status.

/default.asp, line 474
Do you suppose the "E" in "E_FAIL" stands for "Epic?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Zhym »

onlyme wrote:Dandelion will switch out her arrows for her trusty, fashionable trident and do the old Sadie Hawkins routine on the well-beaked caster 2 spots north of the lovely pink door.
. . .
Trident [1d20+3] = 15+3 = 18; dam S-M [1d6+6] = 4+6 = 10; crit [1d100] = 92; init [1d6] = 5
And here comes Dandelion, giving Angus strong competition for the position of "party bad-ass!"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by AleBelly »

Hey,

So I just re-read my last action post. It was very poor. I was trying to get the update out last night and didn't proofread it. I apologize for that. Let me know if anything is unclear...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by onlyme »

AleBelly wrote:Hey,

So I just re-read my last action post. It was very poor. I was trying to get the update out last night and didn't proofread it. I apologize for that. Let me know if anything is unclear...

Dandelion can't really tell if the flooring is tile or vinyl.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by AleBelly »

Will be moving this along tonight (hopefully)...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by AleBelly »

Hi - Jernau35 has to take a break from the boards for a bit, so I'll continue to NPC Rufus. He hopes to rejoin in a couple of months.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by AleBelly »

Family issues came up over the weekend. I hope to have something up tomorrow.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Storm11 »

Hope everything's ok Ale. No rush dude
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by tkrexx »

We'll be here! :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:
enn.in.me wrote:Is Yenny the one in the doorway (not in melee )?
Tennyson is not in my Lee

Yenny is not in melee. (Above line is my phone's autocorrect. I suppose it's also a true statement.)
My co-workers are going to wonder why I'm laughing.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by enn.in.me »

I had a similar autocorrect attempt when I asked the question...

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by AleBelly »

I'm going to be AFK this weekend, so my plan is to get a post out tonight. I think most of you have stated actions, but if not please get 'em in by about 6pm ET.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by AleBelly »

Sorry, I ran out of time. I will post Sunday night.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Zhym »

So, are we now in the room beyond the door where we were told we'd be ambushed?

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”