Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Price of Freedom: Chapter 2: Your Own Private Idaho

#81 Post by max_vale »

Outskirts of the town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 1 AM thru 3 AM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

As the freedom fighters cat-nap or do their best to relax, the droning of Helicopters flying by and the sight of numerous search-lights and headlights of several vehicles as they converge on the sight of where the Soviet APC was destroyed and the tank crews were killed ensured that the group got little real rest. As the HIND helicopter returned to the base, its massively loud engines and rotors echoing off the steep hill top dominating the attention of the band as a large HIP transport helicopter, loaded up with a platoon full of troops (32 men) roared over their heads and headed down to the ambush sight, no doubt to send the men out on a hunt to find them....

Saul realized pretty quickly that is was VERY UNWISE to stop here and now after blowing up the APC where it would be easy to track them and they would NOT be able to handle such a large group of troops. They basically had only two choices....either attempt to get the job done NOW and take out the choppers somehow, someway....or flee...Frankly, the second option looked as hard as the first, considering the position they were in at the moment. Silverman studied the situation and saw the one lazy searchlight and the patrol pattern and he quickly determined they would have a 5 minute window to get into town undetected.....from there, what then?....

The answer came in the form of the ZSU-23-4 on its little hill. Seeing that the 4 man crew was currently in a huddle*, smoking cigarettes and watching the helo activity, Saul saw that they could probably pretty quickly take 'em out and then commandeer the mobile AA gun and use it to take out the choppers....and any Infantry that get in the way. The vehicle was only lightly armored...which meant RPGs and anything heavier than a machinegun was a real problem to worry about...but it definitely represented the best way to tackle the situation.....and anyway, time was running out before the deployed troops and the helicopters found them.....

*The 4 men are about 50 yards away, all are armed only with pistols in closed shoulder holsters and they are NOT paying attention to where the PCs are right now.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Dram »

Saul- We need to take the Anti Air gun. All of us need to act as one. Kill each one of them at the same time Looking at Jenny seeing she is up to the task.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

Looks back at Saul with a grim resolve."Understood. I can do this." Jenny seems in control, a sense of calm surrounds her.
"We shoot and then race across to the vehicle, right?" Jenny readies her rifle.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#84 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

The problem with shooting them is it'll be loud. The Russians'll come running. I don't know how we can do anything else, though.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Dram »

Saul There will be shooting. We will crawl quietly across the ground and kill them with our knives. Thats why I ask Jenny if you are up to the task.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

She pauses at Saul's words, letting them sink in. She seems a bit shaken by the thought. "That's different, I think. I'm not sure I could do that, crawl silently across and get behind them and then...."

Jenny looks down for a bit, then resumes "But if you think that's the only way, I think I can do it."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by max_vale »

Outskirts of the town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 3-3:15 AM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

The four freedom fighters followed Saul 'Slick Silver' Silverman's lead, and they crawled, crouched and move quickly but quietly towards the unsuspecting quartet of Soviet soldiers who served as the crew to the ZSU-23-4 anti-aircraft vehicle. Though their were a couple of tense moments, the fact that the troops were talking amongst themselves and there was a lot of noise echoing through the hills and mountains from the search party activity going on from down where they had just come from helped conceal them as they crept up close….

Billy took a deep breath and then swung his hunting-rifle like a baseball bat at the back of one of the Russian's heads, slamming into the man and dropping him to the ground like a puppet with its strings suddenly cut….the man's middle eventually moved as shallow breaths were drawn, but the lack of any other movement confirmed his target was unconscious….

Jenny was about to do the same to her designated target; i.e. hit him in the back of the head with her AKSU as she saw Billy start to swing his hunting rifle, but a last second impulse changed her course and she dropped her weapon and instead launched a kick that her martial arts instructors would have been VERY PROUD of! Her foot slammed into her target's genitals from behind with enough force to drop the man to his knees, his high-pitched, pained cry suddenly cut off as she whirled around to the man's front side and grabbed his head with one hand and pulled it down while raising her knee quickly and vicously up to meet the poor man's face. She grimaced a bit at the blood from the man's exploded nose and where it had stained her pants leg….but the target was down and most assuredly OUT for some time, so she guessed it was worth it. Scrambling over, she picked up her AKSU once more and quickly moved to join Billy in climbing up on the ZSU-23-4….

Raffy Cabrera had moved quietly into position behind his man and with the press of a button, he snapped out the blade on his switchblade and he lurched forward to grab a fistful of his target's shirt from behind with his off hand while his other hand slammed the little knife into his side twice, rapidly. From the painful, raspy, cut-off yells o pain that ended in blood pouring out of the mouth; his strikes had landed RIGHT where he wanted them too and he knew he would have little to fear from his chosen victim as he would be unable to make any loud noises or move much before succumbing to rapid blood-loss….

Saul moved in the night like the killer-elite that he was and he rose up behind his chosen victim and with one strong, meaty hand he yanked the Soviet's head back while his other hand, holding the large survival knife with its vicious, serrated blade suddenly shot forward to burry said knife into the Russian's neck/throat; causing rapid gushing blood to gush forward and for the poor target to drop to the ground, gurgling in agony….

Looking over at the others quickly; he saw 2 men in unconscious heaps; a flopping man coughing up blood from puncture wounds to the lung and heart and his own twitching, not-long-for-this-world victim. Nodding in satisfaction, he motioned with his head towards Raffy to climb up on the armored, Anti-Aircraft vehicle.

The four Rebels could quickly tell that there were two compartments for the crew; one set off by itself in the front left for the driver and the other 3 seats were in the large turret that housed the quartet of 23mm cannons. The 3 seats seemed to be one for the gunner; one for an operator of the search Radar that sat on the back part of the top fo the turret; and the last seat had no immediate purpose, which Saul explained with a wry grin; "that must be for the Commader, then'….

It was quickly determined that Raffy was the best person for trying to shoot stuff, so he climbed into the Gunner's seat while Billy would probably be best suited as the Driver. With a shrug of his shoulders, the young Rocker climbed into the front seat by himself and Jenny sat down at the Radar Operator's station, though she could make little sense of the screens and knobs and buttons in front of her. Saul sat down in the Commder's seat, aware that he was of little use in a vehicle…but he noted with some alarm that the nearby hangars only seemed to hold 4 of the 6 Helicopters they were here to blow up….3 of 4 HIND attack helos and 1 of the 2 large HIP transport helicopters. Closing the hatch, he said in a serious tone to the others that they had better get to blowing up the Choppers and thinning out the herd of Soviet troops quickly….

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Dram »

Saul- If you see the fuel tanks hit them also. Saul will look to see what is the more immediate danger the approaching troops or the helicopters.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by Nuke66 »

Raffy plays around with controls, figuring out how the auto targeting feature works before popping the first shot. Then he hits the auto-targeting button and popping another, and another.....

Scott308

#91 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Billy takes a few moments to familiarize himself with the layout of the controls before starting the engine (if necessary) and maneuvering the anti-aircraft vehicle into position to start taking out choppers.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

"Ummm guys?"Jenny looks at the radar display"I have no idea how to read this. I guess I'm looking for moving dots?"

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by max_vale »

Outskirts of the town of Chilly, Idaho; approx. 3:15-3:20 AM, Friday, 19 June, 1987

The four Rebels in the 'Shilka' vehicle attempt to figure out how to get the vehicle up and running, with Billy in the driver's compartment finally figuring out how to turn the engine on and then looking through the narrow view slits as he slowly susses out how to get the vehicle moving forward with a sudden lurch....

Raffy pretty quickly figures out how to get the turret moving and how to turn on the gun-sight and get the belts of ammo loaded into the quad-barrels and his eyes light up as he centers the turret on the closet parked helicopter, a HIND and a grin splits his face as pushes the firing button. The quad cannons spit out a long spray of auto-fire; sending a hail of half-a-foot long shells that tear into the helicopter and quickly smash it to pieces with multiple bits flying off in every direction, including the two bubble canopies that house the pilot and gunner...

Jenny tries to figure out how to use the Radar and throws a few switches here and there and dials in a few knobs, but other than getting a slowly moving greenish line that rotates around the screen like a clock's minute hand, she doesn't see anything of interest on the view screen.....

Saul realizes that his position in the turret allows him to do VERY little except estimate that they perhaps used up about a twentieth or so of their ammo and then he sees the hatch above him and he cautiously opens it and lowers it back while keeping his head JUST above the top lip of the turret. He sees the smashed HIND in front of them and the other two HIND helicopters and the big HIP transport helo in the make-shift hangar, while glancing towards the other buildings showed that Russian troops were staggering out; clearly still waking up and confused at the sight of their own AA gun opening up on one of their helicopters. Then Saul, like everyone else had to suddenly catch themselves from being thrown around in the turret as Billy got the machine moving in a lurching fashion....

Raffy moves the turret this way and that, cutting loose two more long bursts of fire; the first one tearing a second HIND to pieces while the second burst sailed wide of the third and final attack copter, but shredded the make-shift hangar and started a fire as some fuel barrels exploded brightly in the dark night....

Like a beacon, the orangish-yellow glow of the flames illuminated the other HIND and the HIP and Billy awkwardly steered the 'Shilka' towards them while Raffy rotated the turret to point that way and then the young Rocker noticed that it sounded like hail hitting the roof of his old pickup truck. Glancing out of the side slit, he noticed a few Russians firing AKs at the vehicle and he realized that the 'hail' sound was the rounds ricocheting off the armor....

In the turret, Saul heard the sound too and glancing over, he saw that the Russians were starting to get themselves into some semblance of order as a dozen, then maybe 20 troops were gathering together. Some veteran NCOs or Officers were starting to yell orders and he saw troops moving to get Heavy Machineguns and RPGs and he KNEW that this lightly-armored vehicle would not be able to handle those as well as it was handling the auto-rifle rounds from the AKs. A quick glance down inside the turret at the ammo bins showed that they had perhaps 16 or 17 more bursts left...

Jenny suddenly noticed that the 'minute hand' of the Radar 'clock' that rotated around the screen suddenly left a dot on the bottom right of the screen....which if she understood this thing, meant something in the air was coming up behind them and to the right....

Scott308

#94 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Whooo-Hoooo! Yeah, Raf! Blow those fuckers to Hell! A huge grin splitting his face, Billy continues driving around, looking for new targets.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Dram »

Raffy, save your ammo we got company in the air. Lets get this vehicle moving away from our friends on the ground. Saul looks for any vehicles that may be approaching.

OCC- What is our weapon stats again. Do we have any grenades.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Yes, if you look at the Character Posts on the Price of Freedom: Player Characters thread you will see that your character Saul and Jenny each have 1 grenade.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

"I think, I think....there is something in the air coming our way. Behind us. I think."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Jenny

"Ummm, 4 o'clock? Maybe 5? I don't know, it keeps moving closer!"

Scott308

#100 Post by Scott308 »

Billy Barstowe

Can this thing fire behind us, or is that a blind spot? I can turn if you need me to, but I'd rather not have to deal with the troops on foot at the same time if I don't have to!

Return to “Price of Freedom”