OOC/Vacation Notices

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC/Vacation Notices

#41 Post by sulldawga »

Bluehorse wrote:A quick apology everyone. I have not been able to reliably get service the past few days after the tornadoes hit our area. Apparently, there were some major hub spots directly hit, and some cell towers too. Since I usually get on here when I can get to my phone, that severely limited me. We're all good here, just explaining my absence.
Glad you're ok!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#42 Post by GreyWolfVT »

sulldawga wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:A quick apology everyone. I have not been able to reliably get service the past few days after the tornadoes hit our area. Apparently, there were some major hub spots directly hit, and some cell towers too. Since I usually get on here when I can get to my phone, that severely limited me. We're all good here, just explaining my absence.
Glad you're ok!
Ditto Brett. :)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rukellian »

Glad to hear you are alright as well. We got some heavy storms in our area too, but nothing tornado level.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rukellian »

heh
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by sulldawga »

I got one of those personal weather tracking stations for Christmas and thought to myself, "Ok, now it's confirmed. I was a nerd before, now I'm officially an old nerd."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Seven is shocked to see something not exactly what he wanted but it'll do... a Pimp-Boy 3 Billion. :D
Pimp boy huh? LOL! "Hey N*****, I gots some fiiiiiiine radiation up in he'ah! Come an' see dis S***! C'mon muh man!"

GreyWolfVT

#49 Post by GreyWolfVT »

careful now Brett :shock: then again the meme below might be bad for me as well... :? was meant as pure humor nothing else.

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rukellian »

Bluehorse wrote:Deuce Hoops and hollers, seeing nothing on the horizon, but stumbling upon a site that at first looks like a pile of junk, but proves to be a gyrocopter. He rushes over and throws off a few pieces of scrap wood and metal and reveals a cleverly hidden flying machine. Looks like it is all there too.

OOC: You did say "Anyhting", right? :mrgreen:
Yes, I did say anything, didn't I? Just like what this game is called.... strange. ;)

GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well I like making it stranger ;)

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Bluehorse »

Out of town for a couple days. Posting may be touch and go. Feel free to NPC as needed. Duece will continue to recon much as he can looking for signs of the boy or other opportunities

GreyWolfVT

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ruke here is the synopsis for the original Mad Max movie from 1979.

The film is set in the near future of a bleak, dystopian and impoverished Australia that is facing a breakdown of civil order primarily due to widespread oil shortages. (This is not explained in this film but in the sequel, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.) Central to the plot is a poorly-funded national police unit called the Main Force Patrol (MFP, derogatorily called "The Bronze" by their enemies), which struggles to protect the Outback's few remaining townspeople from violent motorcycle gangs. The MFP's "top pursuit man" is a young police officer, Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson), badge number MFP4073.

A member of one of the motorcycle gangs, Crawford Montazano (nicknamed Nightrider), escapes from police custody by killing an officer and stealing his vehicle. MFP officers chase the Nightrider in a high-speed chase that results in several serious wrecks. Among those involved is a cocky motorcycle cop nicknamed Goose (Steve Bisley), who radios Max. Max pursues Nightrider in a high-speed chase which results in Nightrider's death in a fiery crash. After the dangerous chase, Max' police chief, Fifi McAfee, warns Max that Nightrider's gang will be out for him now because of Nightrider's death.

Nightrider's gang, which is led by Toecutter (Hugh Keays-Byrne), plans to avenge Nightrider's death by killing MFP officers. Meanwhile, they vandalize property, steal fuel, and terrorize the citizenry. While chewing up a town where the Nightrider's remains arrived by train, the gang brutalizes a civilian couple that tried escaping to the road; the couple is overtaken, then both of them are raped and the car is wrecked. Max and Goose are informed about the incident and go to the crime scene. They find Toecutter's young protegé, Johnny the Boy (Tim Burns), and the girl of the couple in the middle of the wreckage. Johnny's drug-fueled rantings reveal him as a member of Nightrider's gang; Goose looks on Johnny with particular disdain, as his leg was broken during the Nightrider pursuit. However, they do not kill Johnny, but arrest him and drag him away in chains.

Johnny is held at the MFP's dilapidated Halls of Justice pending a visit from the Court. However, when the attorneys arrive, Johnny is ordered released: the judge has set Johnny free because no witnesses showed up for the trial. (Without the testimony of witnesses, no charges could be filed; the courts declared "no contest" for the case.) A shocked Goose attacks Johnny and must be physically restrained; both Goose and Johnny shout threats of revenge at each other. The second-in-command of the biker group, Bubba Zanetti (Geoff Parry) arrives at the courthouse to pick up Johnny, on orders from the Toecutter. Bubba does so begrudgingly, because he hates Johnny for his rowdiness, lack of style and drug addiction, and hates the Toecutter's favoritism towards Johnny.

Shortly thereafter, Johnny the Boy sabotages Goose's MFP motorcycle while Goose is shacked up with a singer he met at a cabaret. His rear wheel locks up at high speed the next day, throwing Goose from the bike; Goose, however, survives without even suffering "road rash". Goose borrows a ute to haul his bike back to civilization. Unfortunately, Johnny ambushes Goose, throwing a brake drum through the ute's windshield, causing Goose to roll the vehicle over, Gas leaks from the fuel tank, soaking the ground around the truck; Johnny, at the belligerent urging of the Toecutter himself, then burns Goose alive in the wreckage. Goose survives, but after seeing his charred body in the hospital's burn ward, Max becomes angry and disillusioned with the police force and resigns from the MFP with no intention of returning. He takes a road trip with his wife and infant son in the relatively peaceful coastal area north of their home.

While on holiday, Max's wife, Jessie, (played by Joanne Samuel) runs into Toecutter's gang, who harass her. She escapes, but the gang manages to track her to the home where she and Max are staying. While attempting to escape from the gang again, Jessie and her son are run down by the gang, who leave their crushed bodies in the middle of the road. Max arrives too late to intervene. His son is pronounced dead on the scene, while his wife suffers massive injuries. (It is revealed in Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior that she later died from her injuries.)

Filled with obsessive rage, Max once again dons his police outfit, straps on his sawn-off shotgun, and steals a supercharged black Pursuit Special to pursue the gang. He methodically hunts down and kills the gang members: several gang members are forced off a bridge at high speed while others spill their bikes; Max shoots Bubba off his cycle with his shotgun (Bubba shoots Max in the leg with a pistol first, though, giving Max a limp that is consistent throughout the series, then runs over his exposed arm). Max struggles back into his car and pursues the Toecutter into a forbidden area. Max forces the gang's leader into the path of a speeding tractor trailer and he is crushed in a head-on collision.

Max later finds Johnny the Boy taking the boots off a dead driver at the scene of a crash. Johnny desperately tries to convince Max that the man was dead when he found him and that his drug addiction has made him mentally unbalanced. Max doesn't listen and handcuffs Johnny's ankle to the wrecked, overturned vehicle with a ruptured petrol tank. Max lights a crude time-delay fuse and gives Johnny a hacksaw, leaving him the choice of sawing through either the handcuffs (which will take 10 minutes) or his ankle (which will take 5 minutes), and then drives off into the desolate outback, ignoring Johnny's frantic ramblings. The camera shows Max's car from the front, with a large and fiery explosion in the distance behind it, leaving Johnny's fate unknown. Max blankly continues to drive in a rainstorm into the Outback, a shell of his former self.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rukellian »

I know some of you are going to be on celebrating the 4th of July with others and may not have time to post as often. This is fine. We are at a good stopping point for now, and with this, I would like to post a few questions.

1. Now that you've had a taste of the Anything Goes game system, I would like your honest opinion about it. I'm running this as a beta game because it is something new I am trying out with this forum. It doesn't have a strong structure, rule wise, and the idea of creating a character, rolling up stats is out the window. The flow of the game is also very different from other systems in that it requires a lot more input from the players when it comes to shaping the plot or defining the setting. The inventory system can be either meticulous or non-existent, all depending on how much attention the players pay it.

2. Would you continue this sort of game? In this setting, a new one?

3. If you were not satisfied with this system's execution, how it played out, the mechanics and what not, what changes would you like to see?

If you have any other comments to make about this game, feel free to state them. I shall take your guys' input and either bring this game to a close or just the chapter and start a new one.

GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I think in this setting it works, even a futuristic post apocalyptic setting would work as well. I figure if i works it works it could work in a D&D or medieval setting I suspect, heck I'd play this game in a western style game. That's sort of what I made seven in my mind anyways post apoc. cowboy. Continue in this setting absolutely! Not putting a lot into character creation saves time because you can be whatever you want to be quite literally. Us making things up as we go in has made this really fun as it still stays in the same setting but our action has bounced from Mad Max back to Fallout and stays between the two and they work well together. All in all I am enjoying myself I just suppose I need to get a bit more creative in some of the posts otherwise it works.

Thumbs up, Thumbs down Rating system: Thumbs up! :D
1-5 Star Rating: 4/5

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by sulldawga »

I'm having fun. I like the format. I like your creativity.

I agree with you that the inventory system can become an issue. I have trouble remembering what guns I have, or how many cans of food, etc... I wouldn't want to add too much structure to it, but if we kept going I'd want to keep track of a few things at least.

I suspect the game would work best with only a few players. Since the game requires a lot of input from the players, you want to make sure you don't get into a situation where members of the group want to go in different directions all the time. It also helps to have players who are all pretty creative themselves.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with other genres. I like this post-apoc game and want to continue but I'd be willing to try a space theme or a D&D theme, too.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Bluehorse »

Hey all! Im sorry to say that i am cutting back on the amount od games i am currently playing, and since this seems like a good spot to do so with this character, i will be shelving Arastor for the time being. I am coming up on a busy time for getting my licensure and have an exam and project to work on between now and June 2018. Most of the project involves front end planning, so there is a chance i can come back later fir another edition. I've enjoyed playing with you guys, Life just has to take its course sometimes. I'll still pop in to check on you from time to time!

For my part i honestly felt it was a little too open ended. I guess i like more in the way of a guidence system in place
I like sandbox games, but this was way out there for me. It made it hard to keep up with and easy to exploit, which i obviously did just to see what i could get away with, and did. It made it fun and funny, but might be something you take into consideration. Tou find whatever you want can be oh nice i found a screwdriver to oh cool i found a sonic screwdriver. I felt like i was being asked to break a game even at the same time feeling like there was very little in the game to break. Too ppen felt kind of empty at times, though i feel you did an excellent job. I think it was more a shortcoming on my part. I learned a lot about myself as a gamer with this one, and that was worth it in and of itself.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rukellian »

I'm glad you were able to get something out of this experience, Bluehorse, even if a lot of it rubbed the wrong way (being too open a game, exploitable). Your points were very much valid, and are things that should be told to players up front if they are interested in this kind of game system. I will be sure to give the appropriate warnings when setting up adverts.

GreyWolfVT, sulldawga, thank you for your answers as well. The idea of keeping track of inventory is an easy fix and doesn't have to be comprehensive. Just like how a visual aids section was made, so too can a quick 'grocery-list' style section can come into place. I'm also glad to hear that you are both open to other genres when doing an Anything Goes run.

I shall set up an advert soon, as I think I shall keep this game system going, and see if I can get 1 or 2 more people.

My next question for those who are staying on is this:

Shall we post an advert with the idea that we could potentially start off Chapter 2 in a new setting, or do we want to recruit more into the somewhat established Mad Max/Fallout world? The former would be decided on the advert page and sort of brainstormed along the way, the latter is our go to if no one wants to try something new.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by sulldawga »

Any chance of continuing the game with just GreyWolf and me? Games like this can break down when everyone has their own great ideas and wants to go in different directions.

Return to “Anything Goes: Vol. 1 (beta run)”