I. Tree Cave

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Tree Cave

#161 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Mila's reaction, AdaRue speaks up. Tom Colbey, don't you go being a brute. There's no need to be sharp tongued to any of us. Mila was just asking a simple question. The Mother would have use remember our manners. Hoping her words help smooth things over for now, she agrees with Omdog and suggests trying the right tunnel if they can avoid the water, adding, If you please, to make a point of being polite.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by ybn1197 »

As AdaRue is binding his wounds, Watts thanks her for the assistance. As they approach the intersection Watts agrees with the others for going to the right.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by drpete »

Rainey

Rainey removes his shoes and rolls up his pants, then follows the group into the watery passage.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by Alethan »

Tom Cobley

Tom smirks and shakes his head, but doesn't say anything.

He takes the right path...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

Keebler and Tippin follow along.

I know you usually prefer one post per PC, but I figured I could combine "me too!" posts.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#166 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:I know you usually prefer one post per PC, but I figured I could combine "me too!" posts.
Actually, I removed that request. As long as I can tell who is doing or saying what, feel free to post for both characters in the same post.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#167 Post by dmw71 »

Electing to try this new branch, Tom turns right. The passage is narrow at first, then, after 20-feet, widens considerably; easily wide enough for everyone to walk side-by-side. The walls also appear to soften, turning brown and almost clay-like. The ceiling also rises to more than double its normal height. After a short distance, the lantern light from behind the halfling reveals that the passage bends to to the left.
Cave Passage Curve Left.jpg
Cave Passage Curve Left.jpg (112.37 KiB) Viewed 337 times
This new turn quickly becomes far less pleasant as the the walls begin to pinch in near the floor, turning the passage almost into a 'v' shape, and forcing the single file progression once again as the floor is now barely 2-feet wide. The corridor waves in either direction, and the group passes a few shallow, empty alcoves.

Suddenly, Tom halts the forward progress when he notices the current path T's up ahead at the edge of illumination provided by the lanterns behind him. While you can't tell what is down either passage, the end of the hallway appears to be lit, and there appears to be an opening or a shadow of some kind off to the left.
Cave Passage Ts.jpg
Cave Passage Ts.jpg (50.11 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Actions?

---

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 14:36 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 44F (53F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
Light Sources: Known Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow, Dagger
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20)
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Tom
      Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Omdog
      Watts
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Tom & Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Omdog
      Watts & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#168 Post by Alethan »

Tom Cobley

Tom waits to see if the elf is willing to quietly move forward and check out the source of light and shadow...

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila

Squeezes AdaRue's arm at her words and looks up briefly as if to say thank you, but shyly looks away just as quickly. She still doesn't look up at anyone else for some time until they come to the wider area. As they pass she continues to examine the walls and ceilings, assuming everyone else is looking either down or ahead. She continues to do this as they move ahead.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Zhym »

Keebler raises a questioning eyebrow to Watts, the group's official sneaky type.

With the lights on, Keebler is no stealthier or better able to see than anyone else.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by onlyme »

Junius whispers to Tom in front,
Think it is the remnants of your old torch . We've been making a few left curves. Maybe there was a hidden opening we just came around to?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#172 Post by Alethan »

Tom Cobley

Tom shrugs and, seeing nobody else willing to move forward, does so himself. He tries to move as quietly as possible.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#173 Post by kensanata »

Omdog immediately lowers his torch when he sees the light up ahead. I should have bought a hooded lantern. Damn these torches. Everything about them is conspicuous. The light, the noise, the smell. We'll never get the drop on anybody like this. He still tried to do his best to keep the torch close to the wall, possible sticking it into a little alcove on the left, if he can find a little opening within an arm's length.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue tsks. We can't let him always go up there alone, can we? He could get hurt! She nudges Watts or Tippin to accompany Tom.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Zhym »

Tippin plods along with Tom.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks Tippin! AdaRue whispers.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#177 Post by dmw71 »

Once hesitation is detected by others, Tom continues his leadership role and, moving as quietly as possible, creeps towards the end of the current corridor, pondering whether, as Junius speculated, the light they detected were remnants from his old torch.

Behind him, the rest of the group silence themselves and minimize the illumination from their own light sources, until AdaRue encourages Tippin to follow.

Once the pair of halflings draws to within 5-feet of the T-intersection, they smell fire, they also hears some vague noises coming from their left. Hugging the right wall, so as to get the best view down this left branch, the halflings notices that, the left half of this intersection quickly opens into a larger chamber.

Creeping forward a bit further to get a better look, Tom and Tippin spy what appears to be a pair of goblins sitting around a burning campfire. The goblins do not appear to detect their presence.
E03R00.jpg
E03R00.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Actions?

---

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 14:38 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 44F (53F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
Light Sources: Known Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow, Dagger
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20)
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Tom
      Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Omdog
      Watts
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Tom & Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Omdog
      Watts & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#178 Post by Alethan »

Tom Cobley

First, Tom waits for several moments in silence, checking to see if there are any more goblins out of sight.

If he hears nothing to indicate that, he quietly sneaks back to the others, leaving Tippin to watch the goblins.

When he reaches the others, he signals continued silence, holds up two fingers, and whispers "goblins". Then he points at Keebler and his bow, readies his own bow, and motions for the others to wait there until they e taken their first shots.

Then Tom heads back to Tippin, hopefully with Keebler in tow.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Zhym »

Tippin tries to stay hidden and quiet while Tom goes for the others. When Tom gives the signal, Tippin fires.

Short bow (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4, [1d6] = 6

Ouch.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Zhym »

When Tom tells him of the goblins, Keebler nods. "That may be a guard station," he whispers. "It may be a waste of a spell, but I do not want to take any chances." When he is within sight of the goblins, he casts sleep at them.

Sleep: [2d8] = 8

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”