Out of Character discussion

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Out of Character discussion

#101 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote: One question: does Jed's homicidal mania extend to the attic creature as well as the zombie? If not, he may not rush to the attic.
That's what IDEA rolls are for! :)

MI70
Scout
Scout

#102 Post by MI70 »

It will be an interesting round!

If Jed can fire this round, he will try to get within his 9ft point blank range IF he can do it without entering the pentagram. Otherwise, he stays outside the lines for now.

Also, just wondering:
-any bonus for the impale or do I just get a rifle skill check (if we survive)?
-with Jed's yo-yo-ing sanity, does he just have to lose one more point to go back to rage? I guess it is up to Dr. Pale to keep us chanting for now. Hopefully just a few minutes to go!

MI70
Scout
Scout

#103 Post by MI70 »

Did NOT see that coming! Quick tactical questions - is Elmer now outside the pentagram? If so, it seems that if he can go back to chanting to back up dr pale or stop the zombie, we should be covered for a last round.

Since my low DEX should still beat a zombie, I think that Jed will shoot Hyacinth to try and end the threat just in case and just hope he can take a hit (gulp) or that the speedy lurker misses. But, out of curiosity, is it possible to parry the lurker with the rifle (I assume that's only about a 25% chance of success) and dodge in the same round and still move between the zombie and dr pale to block him? Just checking the options.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#104 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote:Did NOT see that coming! Quick tactical questions - is Elmer now outside the pentagram? If so, it seems that if he can go back to chanting to back up dr pale or stop the zombie, we should be covered for a last round.

Since my low DEX should still beat a zombie, I think that Jed will shoot Hyacinth to try and end the threat just in case and just hope he can take a hit (gulp) or that the speedy lurker misses. But, out of curiosity, is it possible to parry the lurker with the rifle (I assume that's only about a 25% chance of success) and dodge in the same round and still move between the zombie and dr pale to block him? Just checking the options.
Yes, Elmer has Archie outside the pentagram.

You can move and act, sure.

From page 39-40 of the rulebook "A character attempting Dodge may perform no attacks in that combat round, but may parry." You go up against some pretty nasty foes in this game; that's one of the ways in which you can stand your ground.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#105 Post by ken-do-nim »

One final note for future Call of Cthulhu reference: the animated corpses that the Lurker created were not true zombies. True zombies are harder to kill as weapons don't do that much damage, and they have a slightly harder sanity impact.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#106 Post by MI70 »

Swell. A higher sanity impact. Well played Keeper and all! Thanks! It really went down to the wire. Good fun.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#107 Post by Scott308 »

Yay! We (most of us, anyway) survived! Good game, everyone.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#108 Post by ken-do-nim »

Scott308 wrote:Yay! We (most of us, anyway) survived! Good game, everyone.
Yes, that was lots of fun! Thanks especially to the 4 of you who stuck around to the end of the scenario.

Should we end the pbp now, or continue on? I do run another D&D play-by-post that is on hiatus until March 1st that anyone who would like to continue playing with me can join if we end this. It uses the Swords & Wizardry White Box rules; I can't find a link to the free pdf right now but I could send it to anyone interested.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#109 Post by MI70 »

I vote to continue (though we may all need a little time in the sanitarium first)! I'd understand if the Keeper needs a little sanity break too.

Scott308

#110 Post by Scott308 »

I too vote to continue. I'd like to keep playing Elmer and continuing with the rest of the survivors. If we do continue, hopefully we can find a couple more people that want to join.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

geomys
Strider
Strider

#111 Post by geomys »

I'll keep playing. I have to say as my first Cthulu mythos roleplaying it was quite unsettling compared to D&D. And if that was an introductory encounter...well I suppose we are all likely to die. I am curious as to how improving our skills a bit over time will help us face increasingly difficult enemies. What I wouldn't have given for a fireball!

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by ken-do-nim »

geomys wrote:I'll keep playing. I have to say as my first Cthulu mythos roleplaying it was quite unsettling compared to D&D. And if that was an introductory encounter...well I suppose we are all likely to die. I am curious as to how improving our skills a bit over time will help us face increasingly difficult enemies. What I wouldn't have given for a fireball!
Well there was a trick to it. If you recite the chant while facing away from the pentagram and away from the windows, most of the sanity-inducing effects couldn't have affected you.

Scott308

#113 Post by Scott308 »

So, the key for next time is don't look at ANYTHING and we should be ok. :lol:

geomys
Strider
Strider

#114 Post by geomys »

Ha, as an Indiana Jones-inspired character you would think I'd have known to not look at things.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#115 Post by ken-do-nim »

Sorry I should have mentioned that I was busy with the TotalCon convention the past couple of weeks. I'll get us rolling again tonight!

MI70
Scout
Scout

#116 Post by MI70 »

We're back!
I assume that the house still looks like a horror show if the sheriff comes in to look?

MI70
Scout
Scout

#117 Post by MI70 »

All - I will be traveling over the next two weeks and may not be quick in responding. It would still be my preference for one of the better persuaders / fast talkers to tell our tale to the law.

ken-do-nim
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#118 Post by ken-do-nim »

MI70 wrote:All - I will be traveling over the next two weeks and may not be quick in responding. It would still be my preference for one of the better persuaders / fast talkers to tell our tale to the law.
Mike, I appreciate your continued enthusiasm for the game, but everyone else's has waned and I'm going to call it. I'm glad we at least finished the scenario we started.

PS: I would have allowed you to sprinkle the dust of Ibn Ghazi on your bullets, then you would have been able to directly hit The Lurker. That would have been awesome to have taken him down in a hail of bullets! He only had 18 hit points if you had found a way to hurt him.

MI70
Scout
Scout

#119 Post by MI70 »

That would have rocked! And actually killing the monster a Cthulhu rarity. I'll settle for surviving with a little sanity, which is a win any day. Thanks for running the show!

Return to “Shadows of Yog-Sothoth and beyond - Call of Cthulhu 5E”