I. Tree Cave

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Tree Cave

#101 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah, but... Remember when Josey Parker tried to break up that dog fight and nearly lost his hand? Just be careful, okay?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila
Rusty Tincanne wrote:AdaRue takes several steps backwards, broom and torch held in front defensively. Oh dear... I don't like the sounds of that. Then she calls out, It's okay... It's okay. We're not here to hurt you.
Following so close to AdaRue That the larger woman bumps directly into the slight girl almost sending the unsuspecting little witch to the ground.
Alethan wrote:Tom Cobley

While he has the room, Tom readies his bow, as well...

"I don't know... that could be the sound of an animal already in distress, not one that is afraid of us..."
Nudges AdaRue and points ahead into the shadows, her voice squeaking forth once more. "Or bait..."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#103 Post by dmw71 »

Everyone instinctively takes a step or two back at the sound of the shrill squeal, with Mila bumping into AdaRue and almost knocking the goodly cleric over. Keebler and Tom ready their bows, while Tippin attempts to hail the source of the noise. "It's okay, we're not here to hurt you." Mila adds quietly.

"I don't know... that could be the sound of an animal already in distress, not one that is afraid of us..." Tom ponders. "Or bait..." Mila adds cautiously.

The halfling motions for quiet and listens intently, attempting to hear anything further. Movement -- maybe a pacing sound -- is heard, but the squeal heard previously isn't repeated.

Studying the entrance, you realize how narrow it is, and access to it will almost certainly be limited to a single person at a time.
Defensive Squeal.jpg
Defensive Squeal.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 524 times

Actions?

---

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 13:52 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 44F (53F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
Light Sources: Known Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow (20)
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (20)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow, Dagger
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20)
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Tom
      Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Watts
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Tom & Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey
      Watts & Canun
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by drpete »

Rainey

Rainey whispers "We could toss a light in there... maybe a torch. Then we might be able to see the critters, or shoo 'em back"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue nods to Rainey and sets about filling and lighting her lantern. Then she holds the torch out. Somebody else ought to. I've never been very good at throwing things. Wouldn't want to make it mad by hitting it.

one flask of oil deducted. Who wants to throw the torch?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by ybn1197 »

Watts looks around at the others. "I can try. I've always been pretty good at bulls-eyeing things from a good pace away."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by onlyme »

Junius has his scimitar ready, in case.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by AleBelly »

ybn1197 wrote:Watts looks around at the others. "I can try. I've always been pretty good at bulls-eyeing things from a good pace away."
Canun nods in agreement, and offers up a prayer, holding his wooden disk towards Watts as he does so.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Canun praying, AdaRue instinctively reaches for her own, carved image of a naked woman and whispers silent prayers for the safety of her friends.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Seeing Canun praying, AdaRue instinctively reaches for her own, carved image of a naked woman and whispers silent prayers for the safety of her friends.

Watches them both with a confused expression but shrugs it off and watches to see what will happen, still cowering behind AdaRue's skirts.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#111 Post by dmw71 »

"We could toss a light in there... maybe a torch. Then we might be able to see the critters, or shoo 'em back" Rainey suggests. AdaRue, agreeing with the plan, produces and lights her own lantern, passing Tom's torch, which she had been carrying, to Watts for him to throw. The thief begins to inch forward into position while the rest of the group behind him ready their weapons and prepare for the unknown.

Just as the thief, at the front of the line, is about to execute their plan, footsteps are heard from behind Canun at the rear of party, attracting the attention of the cleric, plus Rainey and Mila. An unarmored, but well-equipped human carrying a staff, which he uses to test the ground in front of him, approaches non-threateningly. Sensing that he may be interrupting a course of planned action, he places a finger to his lips, indicating silence, and extends a hand to Canun, shaking it, then nodding towards the activity at the front of the line. Introductions will have to happen later.
Omdog.jpg
Omdog.jpg (66.68 KiB) Viewed 496 times

Back up front, unaware of what's taking place behind him, Watts finishes inching into position and prepares to toss the torch into the area beyond. He glances back quickly and, after receiving a reassuring nod from Tom, hurls the torch.

The torch sails into the area beyond, landing softly and skidding to rest along the rock wall about 30 feet in front of him.
E02R00.jpg
E02R00.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 496 times
The sudden illumination seems to anger the source of the squealing sound, as the sounds from inside the cavern beyond turn to a series of alarming hisses and short, sharp barks. At nearly the same time, a pungent smell -- similar, but less potent than that of a skunk -- reaches Watt's nose.

Three giant rodents, with coats of mixed black and white hair, scatter at the intruding flame, but quickly regroup!
Giant Ferret.jpg
Giant Ferret.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 496 times
Each of these oversized mammals, measuring nearly 5-feet from nose to tail, bare sharp teeth and rake their sharp claws into the rock floor menacingly as they prepare to rush past the flaming torch.

Actions?

First, welcome kensanata, playing Omdog.

As for the current situation, the group is in somewhat tight quarters, and will only be able to fight single file while in most the corridor, but there are a few sections (between Keebler and AdaRue, and further back by Rainey and Canun) that would allow for fighting side-by-side.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

---

Time: 13:54 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow, Dagger
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20)
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Tom
      Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Omdog
      Watts
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Tom & Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Omdog
      Watts & Canun
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Zhym »

"We don't want to kill ferrets, do we?" asks Tippin in a shaky voice. "I mean, they're really smart, and like to live in holes, and are great fun. Nature's little masochists, I call 'em! Throw 'em some food—maybe they'll be friends!"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila

She turns to see the man walking up behind them and her mind reels with fear inspired visions of the inquisitors coming for her again. She pulls at AdaRue's waist, turning her around to see as the man approached. She then back away against the walls pressing herself flat as she draws her little dagger once again, holding her lantern high in her off hand.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#114 Post by kensanata »

Omdog waves cheerily at Mila, sets down his enormous backpack, carefully places the burning torch on the floor and rummages for some of that dried meat he had bought. Yeah, there's no point in fighting ferrets. Ah, there it is. Then he looks at the halfling, ready to pass some food up to the front of the line, if anybody feels like trying to calm the ferrets.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#115 Post by Alethan »

Tom Cobley

Tom takes the proffered food and tosses it towards the giant ferrets. Then he waits to see if that improves their attitude.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by onlyme »

Junius mentions to Tom.

We either need to act unaggressive, or have them see the group behind us. I dont think these things will be too afraid of a couple little folks if that is all they see.

He continues to hold his scimitar and prepares to follow Tom toward the potential foes.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by ybn1197 »

Watts holds his sword defensively, waiting to see if the offered food calms the weasels.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue looks warily at the man but is reassured by his easy going demeanor and offer to aid the group. She whispers to Mila, He seems okay, don't you think? And not bad looking, giving her a nudge and wink.

To the others she says, I've heard weasels of normal size are vicious. I can't imagine what these may do. Though I bet their fur would fetch a nice price... She backs up, allowing everyone to move to a wider area.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by AleBelly »

"Greetings, Omdog!" exclaims Canun. "I am surprised word of my exploits have reached the settlements already, but Hubbard works in mysterious ways! Yes, it is true that I practically resurrected our friend Junius here from the dead with the healing powers my great god gave me. But I can only take a little credit. We are dealing with a little weasel problem right now, but never fear. I am offering excellent advice from the back."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#120 Post by dmw71 »

Round 1
The oversized ferrets dash with amazing quickness at Watts, who's still standing in the front of the group. While long, they're narrow, and the thief is stuck fending off a pair of the angry creatures... but not able to defend himself very well against either, as the first gnarls down on the leather boot of his right foot, barely managing to crack through and catch the top of his right big toe (-1 hp). The second ferret weasels its way his defenses on the opposite side, clamping down on his left shin (-3 hp)!

Watts is hobbled severely, but remains standing. He, at least temporarily resists slicing one of his opponents in half with his readied sword, but does successfully manage to kick himself free of the creature that had latched onto his left leg.
E02R01.jpg
E02R01.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 459 times
From behind the point of attack, food is hurriedly being passed forward before ultimately ending up in Tom's hands. The halfling holds the food enticingly in front of the enraged rodents, catching their attention, before tossing the foodstuffs over their heads and back in the direction of the torch. The third ferret, not already engaged, immediately retreats and makes for the offering. The first two ferrets turn their heads and spot where the food lands, appear indecisive, but ultimately begin to back away in the direction of the free food.
E02R01-End.jpg
E02R01-End.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Meanwhile, behind the action, Mila pulls at AdaRue's waist, turning the cleric around to make her aware of the as-yet identified stranger, before pressing herself against the walls. AdaRue looks warily at the man, but is reassured by his easy going demeanor and his food offering which she helped to pass forward. "He seems okay, don't you think?" she whispers to Mila. "And not bad looking," she adds with a nudge and wink.

Omdog is then formally greeted by Canun. "I am surprised word of my exploits have reached the settlements already, but Hubbard works in mysterious ways!" the cleric spouts in his usual boastful and arrogant manner.

Actions?
  • ybn1197, I will allow you a counter-attack in round 1 if you'd like (but any attack or provocation will obviously affect their reactions).
  • kensanata, if you haven't already, please deduct one ration.

---

Time: 13:55 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20)
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Tom
      Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Omdog