Castle Amber: the West Wing

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Castle Amber: the West Wing

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Your party has been traveling overland to Glantri City. Made up of an eclectic bunch of heroic adventurers, you have all for personal reasons taken up an invitation to answer a call for aid.

For some it has been a long arduous route, a few benefit from a local familiarity with the route. Your quest however it came about was initiated by the Princes of Glantri , looking for brave adventurers willing to undertake a special mission (for a suitable fee, of course). You were especially eager to receive the commission, because the Princes of Glantri are noted not only for their generosity with money but also with the rare and valuable magical gifts.

Leading pack mules laden with supplies, you have been following a river from a nearby port, that the local inhabitants assured you would lead to Glantri City. Unfortunately, no hired guide was available, and either the directions given you were wrong or you have taken the wrong fork by mistake. At any rate, you have good reason to suspect that you are lost and will have to retrace your route tomorrow. The sun is setting and it is time to make camp. The most defensible campsite is on a nearby hill, previous stone workings and the remnants of wooden stockades ring the ground. The night passes safely, a thick mist billowing in from off the coast, enveloping the hillside and dousing the campfire lights. Throughout the night, the pack mules remain skittish and fret fitfully. Likewise, those in the party barely sleep, plagued by unusual nightmares. When the sun finally rises, you stare out at a world gone mad. Instead of the hill where you made camp last night, your bedrolls now lie in the garden of an ornate mansion. It looks like a huge squat palace with great wings of several rooms separated by a huge glazed dome.

Looking back over the hillside to get your bearing, surely you didn't camp in someone's private estate? you see a frightening sight. A billowing, thick, smoky grey mist which surrounds the mansion blocking all sight beyond. Even the sun and cloud above are hard to distinguish through the ghostly vapours. Strange groans and echoing wails emit from deep within the mist and shadowy figures move at the very edge of your discernment.

Looking towards the mansion, you see a tall figure approaching you. Carrying a small lantern and a silver tray of crystal glasses and a decanter with a soft pale blue liquid sloshing awkwardly inside as his limp gaits trudges him closer to you. He is looks gaunt and drawn, his long straggly hair hardly combed and balding on top. Dressed as a butler in black waistcoat and tails, he bows to you with a small nod of his head, and speaks in a low monotonous bored drawl, as if expecting your late arrival. "Ah! More guests I see, well, well, well, don't just stand there. Enter please do, and be welcomed to the Chateau."

[img]
Amber butler.jpg
Amber butler.jpg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 963 times
[/img]

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Castle Amber: the West Wing

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drake "Drago" Montillo gives the man a polite bow in kind though something about the butler makes the hairs on his neck stand on end as do the hairs upon his arms. "Ah so some sort of luck or perhaps a spell disguise hid the castle from us or brought us to it by any means we appear to somehow be in the correct place and expected my friends shall we proceed into the Chateau?" grabbing up his things and looking around the wizard decides to ask the butler "Uh what of our mules is there a stable we can move them into?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Bluehorse »

Viola Belle

The No-Longer-Lady Belle is on her feet in a moment when she wakes to notice their surroundings no longer match the ones they fell alseep to. "Wake up you fools! We've been deceived!" she hisses as her hand grasp her bow, nocking an arrow and scanning the misty edges her ears trying to zero in on the sounds beyond.

Her next reaction is to spin arround when she hears the door open, staring down the shaft at the disgusting human. She holds the stiff position for a long moment as if she will loose the arrow, but hesitantly lowers it when Drago steps up. Her eyes narrow in suspicion but her bow is still ready in her hands.

GreyWolfVT

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drake "Drago" Montillo "Calm yourself Lady Belle, it appears were were not necessarily tricked, however perhaps since were were expected some time back at Glantri City they may have had their mages locate us and cast a spell to teleport us from where we were lost to our current location. I've heard of such spells though never been part of such. That or we did indeed locate the city and it was magically protected and disguised in what we thought we set camp in. So I beg of you to calm yourself." despite his words his body tells Lady Belle a different story he too is a bit weary of the butler and what has happened though he is keeping for the most part calm and collected putting on the gentile act of politeness. "Come let us gather our camp and be seen by our host shall we?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ravenn4544 »

Bob clearly looks confused about what's going on. With no immediate threat advancing upon his person, he waits for the party to decide what to do.

Marlowe641
Squire
Squire

#6 Post by Marlowe641 »

Bors Pitkin wakes slowly and gets to his feet Pick in hand. He looks warily about taking in the party`s new location. "Hey... Mage, what magic is this that moves a sleeping Dwarf and his comrades without waking? And who is this fellow?"

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drago shrugs "Sorry master dwarf, it was no magics of my working, and I failed to ask the man his name. I know not whom he is, ah well how rude of me I shall ask." looking to the butler looking fellow "Forgive me good sir but might I inquire as to your name?"

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Drake "Drago" Montillo ...despite his words his body tells Lady Belle a different story he too is a bit weary of the butler and what has happened ...
The rouge picks up on the things not said and makes only a minimal show of relaxing but her eyes continue to dart about even as she gathers her belongings and shoulder her bow. her hand rest on her small dagger, elven ears twitching slightly at every sound, not letting her guard down.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Cwreando »

Andor awakes to the strange surroundings not sure he believes his senses. He does not trust his senses and says, "This must be an illusion" Attempts to disbelieve the castle.

Savings throw Skill check [1d20] = 18

Andor relays his belief or disbelief to the others as he puts his armor on and gathers his things.

Andor then sees the approaching figure and hearing Drago request his name.
Last edited by Cwreando on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Marlowe641
Squire
Squire

#10 Post by Marlowe641 »

Bors Pitkin will gather his gear and put his armour on. Whilst waiting for other members of the party to wake up he will form up with Bob in a protective manner. "This is not to my liking but until we find out what is going on I will treat everyone who is not a comrade as a threat"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Stirling »

Wommack

The ranger will act cautiously. having made a camp the night before he wishes to check the trail around the camp and any trails leading off into the mist."I am familiar with 'blink' dogs. One moment they are here growling before you and the next, biting your arse at the rear. From one place to the next in 'the blink of an eye'. Perhaps we set such a trap off or this mist seeps into our subconscious and causes us to wander?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

Sister Varla

Varla yawns and stretches, bleary-eyed. When she crawls out of her tent, she's suddenly wide awake.

Good Morni- What in hell? Varla grabs the medallion that serves her for a holy symbol and presses it to her generous chest.
Lord of all, protect us in our need. Guide our hearts and hands. She quickly slips on her armor and moves to join the others. Her war dog, Sophie, trots over and sits beside her feet.
She listens to the dialogue, her face reflecting her growing level of skepticism. Come on, L-T, she says to Drago. You've got no idea what happened, either. I've heard that tone from way too many young officers to be fooled. Just don't panic and run, like some I've seen.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drago twirls his beard with one finger and raising one eyebrow "Varla I've no clue what you mean or why on earth you insist upon calling me L T... it is neither my initials, my nickname or my station. I never claimed to know exactly what is happening, I am just merely logically thinking aloud the possibilities that a wizard would use."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Lady Ryllae Glynberos

Lady Ryllae wakes and examines the unfamiliar surroundings before donning her mail. This is a much different setting than expected. Strange and powerful magics must be in play. Hearing the butler only brings up additional questions. What is this place, and where exactly are we? You called it the Chateau. What is the name of the chateau, and who is the master? She quickly glances down at her compass, just to be certain there are no undead nearby.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Cwreando »

"Lady Ryllae, I am Andor Van Helsig as he bows but keeps his eyes up. It is most welcome to see you here," states Andor. Andor looks around and continues softly so only she hears, "Some of these ruffians I am not so sure of though and this scene that has unfolded over night is most disturbing. We should take care and Hera willing we will be safe. Perhaps we can fight as one or in support of the other.?"

Andor prays in his mind, "Hera bless this adventure we undertake this morning." OOC not casting just mental prayer.He openly then states, "Hera guide us through the day."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Varla

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have spoken out.
You're right- we're in a whole new AO, so we need to think hard about what may be waitin' for us. The Fool-Killer is everywhere.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Lady Ryllae Glynberos

Lady replies to Andor. Yes, on the trip here I felt that you would be a man who fights with honor and a sense of duty and purpose. However, while some of the others appear to be ruffians, we are all in a strange situation together, and I'm sure that we will have occasions where the...talents...of the others may be more appropriate than what we are capable of.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Bluehorse »

Viola Belle
Scott308 wrote:Lady Ryllae Glynberos
...others appear to be ruffians, we are all in a strange situation together, and I'm sure that we will have occasions where the...talents...of the others may be more appropriate than what we are capable of.[/dialog]
Elven ears ever keen especially when she is on alert, he gives the the Cavalier a seething look with her almond shaped eyes. She moves forward with her possessions on her back a terse remark on her tongue, which she bites to keep from uttering it. "Give your thoughts no tongue..." she could hear her father still speaking in the recesses of her mind that always seemed to come bubbling to the fore when she least expected it... or wanted it...

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Dram »

Drexlar- jumps up embarassed that the ground seemed to move underneath him. Putting him here at this location. What ind a Trolls ass happens to us here? I donz remembers putting my head here. He packs up his belongings gets his gear on. Then listens to the creepy guy invite the group in the building in front of them. Weeze justs going to follow him?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Drago eagerly awaits a response from the strange looking butler. "Good sir might you please answer our questions?" the wizard politely asks, while readying for a fight in the event one occurs.

Return to “Castle Amber (1st Ed D&D)”