Expedition - Blackjack/Logging Trip- 02 May 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Blackjack/Logging Trip- 02 May 2021

#241 Post by Spearmint »

I do read the price different, merchant quoting the value at 200gp in town retail value but offering fifty now for a quick sale.

He then takes the risk of travelling south and back to flog it where it's value is 3 to 5 times greater.

17gp now or the potential of 200gp -333gp in three game time months is a very big difference and Alcide and Earc have cashed in from this trip 42gp and 52gp which is a very large amount from one trip to the woods. I am sure All and Ami would give you 17gp between us and take the risk but we shouldn't need the money and we have the 12gp ancient coins to use for research, sage hire, etc.

Take the risk, it'll fund building your tower and lab....

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Spearmint »

Had another IC question. What happens to the Morlock? If he is just locked in the barracks it is no good, how about we find a cleric/sage retainer with a gift for languages. We employ him to learn Morlock language and humming? If the guards let him be the only one to feed him daily, change his clothes, walk him in the parade ground, etc that close study could enable the language, in one game month to be learned....or cast a comprehend languages, tongues spell on yourself.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#243 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote:Had another IC question...
OOC: I don't have much faith in being around when the coin comes back, but I'll go ahead and send the hourglass south for possible higher sale. I still think the expected return will be between 150-250gp, for the record.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#244 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc meets with the merchant again and asks, "What is your commission for taking the hourglass south to try and sell for a higher return? And what is my assurance that we will receive fair recompense for the item? Or that we even have such an agreement upon your return? Three months is an awfully long time on the frontier..."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad posts a bulletin board note, seeking a willing student if languages ( elves are good) to study and learn Morlock if the dukes' guard can facilitate that to happen.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Spearmint wrote:Amistad posts a bulletin board note, seeking a willing student if languages ( elves are good) to study and learn Morlock if the dukes' guard can facilitate that to happen.
That goes here: viewtopic.php?f=356&t=5487. Costs 1cp

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Marullus »

I'm going to provide "appraised values" for items in the future to help with this. I was trying to keep it more IC by providing the "cash out" values more relevant to adventurers, based on what the Usurer and Merchants will give you now (and from which you could extrapolate the real values anyway). The Usurer offers 80% for gems, or 90% with a successful CHA check. The Merchants offer 25% now or 70-130% (rolled) in three months.

Your appraised values are:
10gp - a simple, unadorned torc of solid gold
20gp - an ornamented golden torc with a knotwork design
200gp - a platinum small hourglass, the top and bottom fashioned like a wolf’s claw, and set with a red-flecked green bloodstone

The appraised values are what should be recorded on your sheet for any items kept. You can "spend" them by giving them whole to an NPC for a product or service; the "cash out" value is only to exchange it for divisible coin. NPCs, generally, are more forgiving of time delays than adventurers are.

So, Alcide will happily take the hourglass (200gp value) as his full share. However, I think that dramatically overpays him (for which I'd give you a bonus on a re-hire roll). Or, you can cash the items out and divide all the resulting coin three ways and he'd still be happy.

Except for paying the NPC hireling, however, this is why it is a player decision how to divide loot amongst a group. Whether you use cash-out values or true values, when do things have sentimental vs intrinsic value to a PC, etc., all come into play.
Alethan wrote:Earc Orctongue

Earc meets with the merchant again and asks, "What is your commission for taking the hourglass south to try and sell for a higher return? And what is my assurance that we will receive fair recompense for the item? Or that we even have such an agreement upon your return? Three months is an awfully long time on the frontier..."
The merchants admit that it is not without risk, and they cannot help it if the caravan suffers a calamity during their journey (10% chance of not returning). The merchant will gladly sign a commission contract through the ArchDuke's office specifying your percentage of the eventual sale price. If you are indeed still alive in three months, you will assuredly have more items for trade and they would want your continued business - contracts in the eyes of Baudh are sacrosanct. He concedes to a conditional clause for survivorship as well, under the standard Laws of Baudh for such. (See here.)
Spearmint wrote:Had another IC question. What happens to the Morlock? If he is just locked in the barracks it is no good, how about we find a cleric/sage retainer with a gift for languages. We employ him to learn Morlock language and humming? If the guards let him be the only one to feed him daily, change his clothes, walk him in the parade ground, etc that close study could enable the language, in one game month to be learned....or cast a comprehend languages, tongues spell on yourself.
One option is to turn him over to the Guard and go on with your adventuring lives. If you wish continued access and study, that can be arranged as well. Learning new IG languages (per IG month of immersion study) is covered here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:Amistad posts a bulletin board note, seeking a willing student if languages ( elves are good) to study and learn Morlock if the dukes' guard can facilitate that to happen.
Hiring a sage is priced in the book, p. 48. I may lower the prices significantly (as Keehnelf did with construction costs) but it is still likely to be well above what you guys can pay right now.

Paying NPCs to do something instead of using PC action is costly. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#249 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc nods his understanding and agrees to sign a commission contract for 20% of the total price the merchant can get for the item.

OOC: Marullus, can you clarify what the merchant meant by 3x and 5x the price? Was he referring to the offered coin price of 50gp or the actual value of 200gp? I was assuming he was referencing the offered price because that would mean getting 150-250gp, which is a range of 50gp below and above the actual value

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Spearmint »

So, Alcide will happily take the hourglass (200gp value) as his full share. However, I think that dramatically overpays him (for which I'd give you a bonus on a re-hire roll). Or, you can cash the items out and divide all the resulting coin three ways and he'd still be happy.
If it is okay,can we split the trove as discussed before on my post Tues. It just leaves the 12gp ancient coins as 'research funds' and the hourglass sale. 17gp now or 50gp in three months isn't going to be much different. Earc do what you think is best.

Alcide still gets an unadorned torc, bullywug spear, three bamboo javelins, jackbuck skin, 1 manacles and chain, 42gp. and an offer of continued retainership. How did that fare?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#251 Post by Alethan »

OOC: What is the value of the warding scroll and waterproof scroll case? It is usable by anyone. Is that something Amistad would be interested in? It is something we could sell instead, if he has no interest in it.

Also, the next trip we mount could be back to the site of the troll burning to look for its lair...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Marullus »

Alethan wrote:I was assuming he was referencing the offered price because that would mean getting 150-250gp, which is a range of 50gp below and above the actual value
Precisely. To be clear -
* There is a 10% chance the merchant doesn't make it back.
* Assuming he does, I'll roll 1d60+70 and multiply that percentage (71-130%) by the actual value of the item to find how much you get, once three months have passed.
* Is this profit coming back only to Earc? If you wish a different disbursement, it should be specified now.

Alethan wrote:OOC: What is the value of the warding scroll and waterproof scroll case? It is usable by anyone. Is that something Amistad would be interested in? It is something we could sell instead, if he has no interest in it.
A used map or scroll case can be re-sold for 5 sp.
Magical items are not generally given a monetary value. They are most valued by PCs, and so a PC-to-PC transaction is best. If you wish to pursue selling it to an NPC, specify who and I'll work something out.

Spearmint wrote:If it is okay,can we split the trove as discussed before on my post Tues. It just leaves the 12gp ancient coins as 'research funds' and the hourglass sale. 17gp now or 50gp in three months isn't going to be much different. Earc do what you think is best.

Alcide still gets an unadorned torc, bullywug spear, three bamboo javelins, jackbuck skin, 1 manacles and chain, 42gp. and an offer of continued retainership. How did that fare?
To be honest, I couldn't follow your proposal. There's been a lot said since then, as well... can you restate in a simple list as to what is being given to each individual, showing appraised values?

Oh, and to answer a question above, the coins are only worth coins. The detail on them provides game context, not artistic value. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Spearmint »

Division of treasure trove:

Frogmortons kidsthree blow pipe spears, ( to protect themselves and blow pebbles at each other as kids do).

Captain Ulftred 1 manacles and chains for future captive restraint, 9 bamboo Bullywug javelins to supplement watchtower armoury.

Alcide Jackbuck skin, unadorned torc, Bullywug spear, 3 bamboo javelins, 1 manacles and chain for future hunting, 42gp.

Earc Orctongue . 2 blowpipe spears and remaining poison darts (x4), Eelskin scroll case and Ward against Undead spell, 52gp

Blackjack Amistad 1 Bullywug Longspear, knot design torc, 32gp, 13sp.

Platinium Wolfclaw Hourglass : sent away, 20% to merchant, 80% split three equal ways. Expected return on Aug 10th, each character should have a Usurers' claim form to cash in like a promissory note.

12gp ancient coinsbeing used to fund any research in town, hire mages, linguists, use of library, etc. In town RP by Earc and Amistad.

Each of us also has preserved and unpreserved food from the Frogmortons (18gp worth in total).

Alcide retainer roll = 8,

We are all in the tavern, Amistad has put an advert for a linguist to study Morlock in the bulletin board instead of hiring a sage. Morlock held in Gaul barracks cells.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#254 Post by Alethan »

That sounds fine.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#255 Post by Marullus »

Okay, thanks. :)

Earc is holding the extra 12 "research" coin, then, as the researcher?

The merchant keeps his cut off the top - whatever is rolled is all yours. The contract is signed and allows that whichever of the three of you remains alive shall share the profit of the sale equally at that time.

Alcide is satisfied and willing to continue as your Retainer if desired.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#256 Post by Alethan »

Earc would prefer to split those coins up evenly. He assumed they were only worth the value of 12 gold coins; he just wanted a few with better impressions so that he might attempt to find out more about them - maybe see if anyone in Gaul knows of the images or if he can research them with access to books or a library. This was almost more of a personal curiosity that might prove to be useful information later on.

He doesn't need all 12 of them, so they should be divided between the three. He will be pretty adamant about not holding on to all of these coins, for personal reasons.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Okay, We take four each, I won't spend mine. Maybe if we go into the tunnels the currency could be traded, using 'local coin' not imported mint.

Blackjack will keep Alcide as a retainer. He needs to recover a couple of days rest before going on expedition again. Enough time to RP a bit in town.

Tell us more about the archduke, his set up. Does he have a retinue of mages around, how big is the guard? Does he show interest in the Morlock? Maybe he'll view it as some wild Neanderthal creature but the elders may know more.

Let me know if a linguist applies for the language learning.

Earc if you have any ideas for further exploration and don't mind a crusty poacher and a roaring axeman around I think we can do good together.

I think a tunnel expedition is going to take some planning, maybe a delve if we get lucky with a linguist. Rafting worked good, if we can avoid tipping and trouble. Could make a bigger stronger raft with more men and equipment or dug out canoes with the right wood. If you fancy exploring, hiking upstream and paddling back?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#258 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I think we are supposed to move out of this thread and into the tavern thread and do any planning In Character (with dialog and action and such). But the one thing Earc wants to do is try and find the river troll lair.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Spearmint »

Okay, expedition can be completed here.

Troll lair, ambitious, need underwater breathing, light, harpoons. Underwater fire or acid ( magnesium rods if such a thing can be created?).....

...or enlist the Bullywugs....

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:Division of treasure trove:

Frogmortons kidsthree blow pipe spears, ( to protect themselves and blow pebbles at each other as kids do).

Captain Ulftred 1 manacles and chains for future captive restraint, 9 bamboo Bullywug javelins to supplement watchtower armoury.

Alcide Jackbuck skin, unadorned torc, Bullywug spear, 3 bamboo javelins, 1 manacles and chain for future hunting, 42gp.

Earc Orctongue . 2 blowpipe spears and remaining poison darts (x4), Eelskin scroll case and Ward against Undead spell, 52gp

Blackjack Amistad 1 Bullywug Longspear, knot design torc, 32gp, 13sp.

Platinium Wolfclaw Hourglass : sent away, 20% to merchant, 80% split three equal ways. Expected return on Aug 10th, each character should have a Usurers' claim form to cash in like a promissory note.

12gp ancient coinsbeing used to fund any research in town, hire mages, linguists, use of library, etc. In town RP by Earc and Amistad.

Each of us also has preserved and unpreserved food from the Frogmortons (18gp worth in total).

Alcide retainer roll = 8,

We are all in the tavern, Amistad has put an advert for a linguist to study Morlock in the bulletin board instead of hiring a sage. Morlock held in Gaul barracks cells.
The merchant keeps his cut off the top - whatever is rolled is all yours. The contract is signed and allows that whichever of the three of you remains alive shall share the profit of the sale equally at that time.

Alcide is satisfied and willing to continue as your Retainer if desired.

Each person gets an additional 4gp, and this is final.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”