Episode OOC

Antman9
Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Episode OOC

#101 Post by Antman9 »

FLASHBACKS!!!!!
Rusty wrote: @ Antman: Is that how you were envisioning flashbacks working? Two of us posted, but they weren't linked. I could have made the ship orbiting Kalidasa (Xuan Wu), having acted as a transport for Jesse's platoon... Happy to amend it, or to flesh it out in a future flashback if you like.
FLASHBACK RULES
A flashback is a special Asset that relates to a mini-scene from a Crewmember’s past. The Gamemaster can call for a flashback scene any time a Crewmember creates an Asset by spending a Plot Point—especially when the Asset represents previous experiences or points out resources that might’ve had a powerful impact on the Crewmember. The Gamemaster can only call for one flashback scene per character per Episode.

When you create a flashback Asset, pick at least one other Crewmember to be involved in the flashback miniscene. Working with the other Crewmember, play out what happened in your past. The Episode’s main plot will pause to give your fellow players the chance to see what really happened. Once the flashback is over, step up the Asset you created by one die type. If the mini-scene is really interesting, the Gamemaster can opt to give you back your Plot Point, so pour your heart into it!
And here we go!

Ok. Marullus and I had quite a few conversations about this.
My opinion was, considering the nature of PBP, that we could use this a bit looser than we would at the tabletop.

Per the Rules
  • GM calls for a Flashback anytime a crewmember creates and Asset
  • Only 1 Flashback can be called for, for a single crewmember, per Episode.
  • Crewmember picks another crewmember to involve in the Flashback and the two crewmembers roleplay a mini-scene.
  • When the mini-scene is complete, step up the asset die.
  • GM may give the PP back if the mini-scene is “really interesting.”
Additional Options
(as I see them for PBP, that seem a fair use of the Flashback option to me)
  • GM calls for a Flashback (either after an Asset is created, or in other interesting/exciting scenarios)
  • Crewmembers create their own Flashback scenes during high stress/scenes that relate to the crewmember’s past. The GM awards a PP.
  • Crewmembers can perform a solo Flashback by announcing they are doing so, once per episode, and then roleplay the mini-scene through verbal, somatic, or other means.
  • Crewmember takes a d6 Complication related to the Flashback instigator
NOTE: I actually really like the idea of players managing their own Flashbacks. They know their crewmember best (it’s in their head), and it saves a bit of GM/player fanegaling of OOC posts.

Ideas, Opinions, Comments???

@ Marullus
In Cdr. Jesse Clay’s situation, he created an asset. So under his Veteran of the Unification War distinction – War Stories: When you create an Asset or take a Complication related to a wartime flashback, step it up – he stepped up his Veteran distinction to a d10. He also, kind of, performed a min-scene Flashback, which is also kind of related to his distinction. So he should actually take a complication related to the current scenario/scene.

@ Rusty
Rusty wrote:I also asked the same question about the flashback and I also feel like it should be more in depth than it is so far.
I agree that writing a story in tandem would be fun. We can keep going as the scene progresses. If we do, we can tie it together like I mentioned as the scene progresses. Perhaps it was one large Browncoat trap. I chose a longbow because - if I am right in my interpretation - they are supposed to be used en masse. My ship was alone, having been separated for whatever reason...
I think this is a great idea.

Also, in light of how you guys are talking about the Flashbacks, I think it would be cool to keep the Flashbacks, little snippets and actions here and there, going until the complication is removed. In this scenario the Flashback complications would feed off multiple characters. Does that make any sense?

Marullus wrote: Did Boscoe invoke his "I don't wanna burn" complication to earn a PP? It's now up to the GM about flashback rewards
Bosco can certainly invoke this for the thrilling spiral shuttle descent.
He just needs to announce that he is taking a Complication: I Don’t Wanna Burn d6, and then add 1 PP to his sheet. (I am also keeping track of them in my summary posts. Primarily for my benefit)
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#102 Post by Antman9 »

I gotta go run, literally, I'm going for a run. ;)

So I will make a summary post after I get done with that, and make a The Next Step post with bullet items for everyone, with possible directions and actions. I should have that done by midnight tonight. I still have a few replies to make from the Episode OOC too. So if I haven't gotten to you yet, I will tonight (FantasyChic).

Everything is coming along great so far. I'm loving how things are progressing. Great job everyone. I know this kind of game, especially in PBP, can be daunting at first. Everyone so far has been keeping at it. Thanks for all the hard work gents and gals. I very much appreciate it, and have enjoyed it thus far.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#103 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:Difficulty d4 (if you use the words: cow poop)
Lol.

(What? I'm in character!)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#104 Post by Antman9 »

I'm whooped. I'll finish my posts in the morning.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#105 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Antman9 wrote:Edmund – Treat Percy

Perform Recovery Roll
  • Mental d8
  • Treat d10 (Tough Love – spend PP)
  • Honest Man (distinction) d8
  • Belief (signature asset) d6
or
  • Mental d8
  • Treat d8
  • Honest Man (distinction) d4*
  • Belief (signature asset) d6
Note: Gain 1 Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.[/list]

GM Sets the Stakes
  • Complication: Rattled d6
  • Difficulty d4 (if you use the words: cow poop) d6 otherwise
Saving the PP and rolling a d4 to gain another PP would be the best option considering the Stakes dice pool. Even if you fail, the Complication is still removed. Maximize on the options, I say.
Oh, good grief. How did I miss all these posts? Anyway, I didn't see all this before posting, and I don't have time to change it. Gotta get some sleep.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by Antman9 »

Quaid wrote:Oh, good grief. How did I miss all these posts? Anyway, I didn't see all this before posting, and I don't have time to change it. Gotta get some sleep.
It's all good Quaid. I don't think anyone will hold it against you, certainly not me. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

Antman9 wrote: @ Marullus
In Cdr. Jesse Clay’s situation, he created an asset. So under his Veteran of the Unification War distinction – War Stories: When you create an Asset or take a Complication related to a wartime flashback, step it up – he stepped up his Veteran distinction to a d10. He also, kind of, performed a min-scene Flashback, which is also kind of related to his distinction. So he should actually take a complication related to the current scenario/scene.
I wanted to come ask about that - I'm not following the logic.

I can use a wartime flashback to step up my Distinction when I either create an Asset or take a Complication. Why would it imply that I need to take a complication while spending a PP to buy an asset? The complication effectively nullifies the asset (adding a d6 on both sides of the balance sheet) and makes it a poor use of a PP.

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#108 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Antman9 wrote:
Quaid wrote:Oh, good grief. How did I miss all these posts? Anyway, I didn't see all this before posting, and I don't have time to change it. Gotta get some sleep.
It's all good Quaid. I don't think anyone will hold it against you, certainly not me. :D
It appears I could have really used that Honest Man distinction and the cow poop adjustment. Cie la vie, or whatever it is.

One of my rolls was a 1. I forgot to note that.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Crewmember takes a d6 Complication related to the Flashback instigator
Boscoe Farwell (The Janitor)
1 PP
Complication: ???
I don't understand. Why would the flashback create a complication on its own?

I added the flashback because you had asked for one in your first post, not because I want to create an asset - what asset would be created by this flashback, anyhow? (Maybe that I know how to fix a ship on fire?)

As for complications, now that I understand them a bit better (particularly how to invoke this one), I am taking the "I don't want to burn" complication (d6), earning a second PP. I am doing it because it is the right thing to do for this character. Really, the flashback is just an insight to why there is a complication in the first place - color, if you will. If you want to add to that due to the flashback, I am fine with that. Just let me know.

As for Marullus getting a complication, the flashback rule states we need to draw in another character to the flashback. Why would we both get additional complications for my flashback?

Also, the first quote about taking a complication for a flashback... Is that from the rules, or is that your idea? If it is the latter, I think it should be an occasional thing done based on the specific flashback. Not all flashbacks are traumatic, for example. If I am thinking about my first kiss or a hard-won-race, I am likely to be left in a positive frame of mind, though maybe distracted.

So: If you want Bosco to increase his I don't want t burn complication to d8, let me know, but it doesn't make sense that Jesse would also take a complication if the two flashbacks are tied together due to crunch-factor.

And WHOAH! This is a crunchy-ass game! I keep thinking that it should have a bit more of a evil-GM presence because of that. Like the complications should be making our lives more and more and more difficult until we want to curl up in a ball and just unlock our helmets and explode into space.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#110 Post by Jack »

Maybe have asset (+complication) creating flashbacks if we've run out of PPs; and role-play-only (no related asset or complication) flashbacks just because they're awesome?

Can I do a notice check of the big crater and the habs from the landing site, looking for what Percy thinks are pirates?: attribute: mental d8, skill: notice d8, specialty: protect friends d6.

Edit 0: -triggers,+-#habs.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”