"Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Gordon

Grognardsw
FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: "Shadows Over..." - The Investigations of Josephine & Go

#261 Post by FantasyChic »

Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Grognardsw »

Josephine is overwhelmed by a rush of congregants who pummel and kick her into unconsciousness.

"Spread her before the glorious waters!"

Gordon struggles through the naked men atop him, blocking their brunt of their punches, and tries to stab with his knife the nightmare horror of the deep. His blade arm is pulled by one of the congregants and he misses. The Deep One rakes Gordon across his chest with a giant claw, tearing flesh and muscle and exposing ribs. Its second claw slashes down on his face, scraping eyes out, crushing nose, breaking jaw. Blood is everywhere. Screams of joy from congregants intermingle with a growl from the Deep One.

"Praise be to Joad! Amen!" shouts Rev. Hillman

Eddie is shocked (roll for 1d8 San. loss), overwhelmed. He feels a pat on his naked shoulder. Rev. Hillman smiles. "You are either the bravest fool alive, or really do want to be one of us. You've made Jememiah happy." He looks down at the obese woman Eddie has just finished with. "Are you ready to prove yourself?"

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#263 Post by makken123Tabs »

[1d8] = 7--oh no! Is Eddie at risk again of temporary insanity or cumulative permanent insanity? I don't wanna go just yet. If he's not gibbering he'll answer the Reverend.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Grognardsw »

makken123Tabs wrote:[1d8] = 7--oh no! Is Eddie at risk again of temporary insanity or cumulative permanent insanity? I don't wanna go just yet. If he's not gibbering he'll answer the Reverend.
It is temporary. You can play it as you like.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#265 Post by makken123Tabs »

"Haven't I done that already," said Eddie shakily, "prove myself I mean? Reverend, they are my friends, Gordon was my friend--but he was foolish to fire his pistol, I admit, and did not appreciate the power of the deep ones." He looked over to the unconscious Josephine. "No more for me tonight, please, I've had enough. Think of the new congregants I will introduce, fresh blood,"--he tore his eyes away from Gordon Pym--"so to speak. Maybe I am a fool, but I told you, I want to find out about my 'drowned' sister."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Grognardsw »

Josephine is in merciful oblivion as horror descends upon her.

Rev. Hillman laughs crazily at Eddie Sharpe's words. "No, you've only stepped into the shallows, skimmed the surface of faith."

He points into the water. "Come in with me and be baptized."

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#267 Post by makken123Tabs »

"Ye-es!" exclaimed Eddie, "Let's do it!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Grognardsw »

Something once human pushes along the reluctantly willing Eddie Sharp toward the water. Rev. Hillman walks next to the cracked reporter, whose hope for living seems to become part of this cult. Are those gills under the Reverand's beard? The priest is ranting: 

"I will baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose fins I am not worthy to bear. He will baptize you with the elder spirit and waters within. So says Matthew 3:11! Praise be to Joad!"

Eddie starts hyper-ventilating as he walks by and sees Josephine on the ground and... Good God no! Tears well up as he enters the waters which are thick with undulating bodies, several dead. Blood and intestines in the froth. The reporter can't hold back the vomit.

Rev. Hillman leans Eddie back into the water, eventually submerging his head. He hears the muffled yell through the water: "Father beneath the waves, in your love you have called us to know you, led us to trust you, and bound our life with yours. Surround this child with your love, protect it from evil. Fill it with the watery spirit and receive it into the family of your church, that it may swim with us in the way of Joad, and grow in the knowledge of your love."

Eddie is beginning to drown.

makken123Tabs
Guide
Guide

#269 Post by makken123Tabs »

Eddie weighed up his options, confused as he was: "If I struggle they'll certainly kill me and if I don't they'll probably drown me." He relaxed under the Reverend's grip, and thought about his sweetheart and his mother.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Grognardsw »

Eddie blacks out

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Grognardsw »

The next morning Rev. Hillman posts a notice in the church.

The little deformed girl watches the Reverend.

"Why Esmeralda, where did you get that new necklace?" asks the priest.

"The pretty lady didn't need it anymore."

"How nice of her. She was a sweet woman. They are all with Joad now."

The little deformed girl smiles and skips away.

I rarely have TPKs but the investigators walked right into it. Hook, line and sinker, as Rev. Hillman would say.

Return to “That Which Should Not Be (Call of Cthulhu)”