Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

AleBelly
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 8 - Orc Recon

#341 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny runs to Angus and kneels down, holding her shield between them and the beasts from the sky. "Angus--wake up! Are you okay?"
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by AleBelly »

media_junkie wrote:Lorilee fires her short bow twice at the nearest batsquito.

Short Bow (THAC0 16): TH: [1d20] = 3, Dmg: [1d6] = 1

Short Bow (THAC0 16): TH: [1d20] = 5, Dmg: [1d6] = 6
MJ, please see house rules on combat - d100 rolls should be included with the "to hit" rolls as they determine crit hit/misses.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by tkrexx »

AAAAAAAA!! NOOOOO!! Seeing his good pal hit the ground so hard, Hyde also steps over to defend Angus. He looses one desperate arrow and draws his sword.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion stabs her trident in the air, coming fairly close to piercing a cloud. But little else.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

media_junkie
Strider
Strider

#345 Post by media_junkie »

AleBelly wrote:

MJ, please see house rules on combat - d100 rolls should be included with the "to hit" rolls as they determine crit hit/misses.
AB, I've gone back and edited the post to include crit roles. I've also updated my dice roller so any future attacks will have crit rolls automatically. --- MJ
The Lone City in the Wildlands --- Lorilee Ravenholme
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by AleBelly »

media_junkie wrote:
AleBelly wrote:

AB, I've gone back and edited the post to include crit roles. I've also updated my dice roller so any future attacks will have crit rolls automatically. --- MJ
Thanks!
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#348 Post by AleBelly »

The horde begins to descend upon our stout-hearted adventurers!

Their first defense is magic. Arnulf, trembling hand holding a feather aloft, steels his nerves and allows the bloodsuckers to approach. "Somnus!!!" he calls in a commanding voice. The wings of six go limp. Two fly headlong into a tree, breaking their necks and falling to the ground in a lifeless heap. Two more hit the ground with a thud, injured but still moving. They struggle to find their footing (and will be stunned next round). Two others, having taken a lower trajectory, tumble softly onto the snowy ground, snoring shrilly.

The group fires a volley of arrows at the monstrosities. Only Hyde's finds its target, grazing the underbelly of an attacker. It seems more angry than harmed. Angus slips on a rock covered with wet snow, and plops to the ground. Yenny covers him with shield and tries to revive him he'll recover next round but unable to attack.

Tempus, mistletoe in hand, chants words in a tongue Hellebore has uttered before. His other hand propped against a sturdy oak, he invokes the power of nature. Suddenly, the trees begin to writhe! Branches curl, furl, and undulate! Four batsquitos squeal in frustration as they are held fast by the branches. Two pick their way through - though they manage to avoid being caught, the trees slow their progress such that they do not reach the party yet!

Batsquitos making saving throw [6d20s16] = 2

Ridges of fur stand up on the backs of Fluffy and Qatkir as the remaining batsquitos close in. Tempus, Dandelion and Hyde are targeted by one, while a pair fly towards Yenny and Angus. Galan steps in, tossing a spray of color dust that puts off a brilliant light in the eyes of a batsquito. It squeals as its flight becomes erratic - it appears blind! It presses the attack nonetheless, and the gnome is able to beat off the parasites with her shield. Edit: The pair of canines both land their attacks. Qatkir savages the bat-like attacker. It struggles free from the wolf, leaving a trail of blood in the snow. Fluffy rips the abdomen out of another, leaving its entrails in the snow.

Hyde sidesteps an attacker as he drops his bow and draws a weapon, bellowing all the while. Dandelion knocks one away with her shield, but in doing so misses her attack badly. Tempus recovers from his spellcasting just long enough to duck as a batsquito whizzes overhead, grasping at air where the halfling's head was just seconds ago.

Seven Six batsquitos remain active, and two more are waking from Arnulf's slumber and won't be active next round. The batsquitos must be hungry. They show no signs of backing off...

Date: 18 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 11:19
Conditions: 34F, damp and grey, northwest wind at 10 mph, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect: Hellebore is invisible, batsquitos sleep until 11:34, entangled until 11:29, one blinding through 11:23
Light bearers: Sun
Intended Direction of Travel: 165 degree bearing, bound initially by canal to their left, 1.2 mph, 2.6 miles traveled today
Injury Status: None
Last edited by AleBelly on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#349 Post by Storm11 »

As the creature approaches Tempus calls to fluffy. "Attack!" he calls drawing his scimitar ready to slice the creature that comes to attack him.

Initiative [1d6] = 1 :
Scimitar [1d20] = 12 : [1d8] = 8 : [1d100] = 1

Fluffy's attack Initiative [1d6] = 3 : Bite [1d20] = 18 : [2d4] = 7 : [1d100] = 59
Greys Campaign.
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by AleBelly »

I forgot Fluffy and Redfang's attacks last round too. I'll edit them in, Storm, if you can give me another one. Thanks.
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Zhym »

"Ngrk," grunts Angus groggily. "M'aright. Jus' need a moment."

He staggers to his feet, shoots a dirty look at Bloody Useless—he's not sure how, but he knows his fall is the bow's fault—and readies his hammer.
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by Zorroroaster »

()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
media_junkie
Strider
Strider

#353 Post by media_junkie »

AB, if I pull out my short sword can I get to any of the "sleeping" batsiqtoes and get a "coup de gras" killing blow on either of them?
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#354 Post by AleBelly »

Lorilee could kill the two slumbering ones. She also has the option to attack one of the stunned ones at a +4 bonus to hit.
media_junkie
Strider
Strider

#355 Post by media_junkie »

Lorilee puts her bow away and pulls out her short sword, she approaches one of the stunned batsiqitoes and quickly attempts to finish it off.

Initiative [1d6] = 4

Short Sword (THAC0 18): TH [1d20] = 18, Dmg: [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6, Crit [1d100] = 72

Add in the +4 to hit for it being stunned and I guess I got a "to-hit" roll of 22.
Last edited by media_junkie on Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#356 Post by enn.in.me »

"It wasn't Arnulf this time, but I'm glad to see you're alright." After steadying Angus a bit, Yenny swings at the blinded creature that attacked her.

Initiative [1d6] = 1, flail [1d20] = 9, damage [1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7, crit [1d100] = 26
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#357 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion will attack the pests as effectively as she can.

1st choice a stunned one, as one remains unchallenged. 2nd choice an active one. 3rd a sleeping one.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#358 Post by Storm11 »

AleBelly wrote:I forgot Fluffy and Redfang's attacks last round too. I'll edit them in, Storm, if you can give me another one. Thanks.
No problemo :)

Fluffy attack : initiative [1d6] = 3 :
Bite : [1d20] = 12 : [2d4] = 4 : [1d100] = 87
Greys Campaign.
tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#359 Post by tkrexx »

I HATE these bat-bugs! Hate 'em! Hyde swings furiously at any of the hideous creatures coming close to Angus until he can defend himself.
Perhaps fanning them will keep them at bay, as fanning a shoo-fly.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”