Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: Beneath the Inn of the Damned

#121 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

Loathsome horrors from darkest nightmare beset the heroes in the catacomb-like labyrinth.

Ingrid and Pelias both swing at the abhorrent, living carcass within their reach (X1) and miss!
The disgusting thing, thwarted by Pelias' holy mantle of virtue, barks with hate and then flees south, down the long channel into the darkness!

Grothnak and Moogeye push closer to their nearest fronts but cannot reach them due to this constricting warren. Neither can enter the fray!

Suddenly the wind from the south blows stronger! It carries the sickening stench of rot and decay through the battle and to the east!

Avril, nearing unconsciousness, bravely refuses to retreat! But her trembling hand cannot land a blow on the depraved, corpse-like terror that wounded her so gravely (X3). The heinous thing smiles evilly, licks its blood-soaked lips, and prepares to finish devouring Avril alive!

The valiant half-elf's blurring vision 'sees' the ghastly horror transform before her failing eyes, becoming Death itself.

Suddenly a spearhead bursts out of its shoulder! Long Bo had heard the sounds of battle and charged down the tunnel and impaled the monster's upper back with his spear!

The cemetery demon roars with bewildered anger, wheels around, and lunges at Bo like a rabid animal, tearing into him ferociously with savage claws and fangs! (Critical hit: -10 hp!)
The noble druid feels an icy, supernatural chill threatening to overtake his very soul! (Please Save once vs. Paralyzation)

Actions?

Northwest of the pitched battle, in a shadow-filled cave (22), Telkis searches in vain for some sign of Beswill's purpose there. The wet, dank hole, far from the center of the tunnel network, is empty and isolated.
Telkis finally approaches the ruin of Bertram Beswill himself. He sees something glimmering in his fist. The gnome opens the death grip to reveal what was held tightly within:
Bertram's cameo.jpg
Bertram's cameo.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Actions, Telkis?

Hoom and Mouser escape the stone dungeon and climb up into the bedroom of the late Bertram Beswill.

Hoom douses the bedroom door with a flask of oil! He readies his flint and steel.

Mouser opens the back window and suddenly a strong wind, rich with the stink of death, blows from the trapdoor, out the window. This fell breeze must have fed the fire in the dungeon below because a small geyser of flames erupts from the open trap door! VROOSH!

The oil-soaked door doesn't ignite... yet.

Mouser jumps out the back window, and Hoom hears footsteps beyond the oil-soaked door. Someone or something is standing on the other side! (at '?')

Actions, Hoom and Mouser?

Beneath the Inn of the Damned 7.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 7.jpg (557.31 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
DM Notes:
Map:
  • Each square is 5 feet. Movement in the tunnels is halved.
    Only the illuminated areas, that were visible to any PC this round, are shown.
    Red is used to indicate dead opponents.
    Brown-darkened areas are your recollections. Black-darkened areas are unlit rooms.

Dice:
  • Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will quickly inspect the cameo, turning it over, looking for any inscriptions. He suspects that, rather than a clue to the puzzle they face, all he's found is evidence that Bertram was once a kind and loving person, turned to evil against his will. There'll be time to dwell on sentiment later he thinks to himself and pockets the necklace to show the others later. "What's going on out there?" he asks Grothnak' moving nearer the entrance, but giving the half-orc room to retrat should he need it. "I can't see a thing from in here. I hope we're winning.... Do you smell smoke?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zhym »

"I don't know," grumbles Grothnak. "There is battle, but I cannot reach it."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye stands behind Avril, her polearm pointed at the ghoulish creature's back and ready to strike. "Priestess, quickly: place yourself behind me, I am uninjured."

She tries her best to get in a good strike, by replacing Avril if she can, or thrusting over Avril's kneeling body if she can't.

Glaive-guisarme To-Hit [1d20] = 7 Damage (small) [2d4+1] = 4+1 = 5, Damage (big) [2d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
Well, Moogeye's awesome rolling had to end sometime, I guess. :roll:

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#125 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
Starbeard wrote:Moogeye stands behind Avril, her polearm pointed at the ghoulish creature's back and ready to strike. "Priestess, quickly: place yourself behind me, I am uninjured."
If Avril does as Moogeye proposes, Ingrid, uttering the quickest prayer possible (two short and one long syllable in an arcane sacred language...), attempts to heal her injured companion.
Cure Light Wounds [1d8] = 3
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom strikes his flint and steel together to create the spark to light the door ablaze. He then with most haste scrambles through the open window to Mouser. He and Mouser make a run for the building to the north and then to the bridge and out of this cursed town.

Inside Hoom's head he sings to himself a little ditty he once heard from a travel bard.
"A.B. had a candy store
Business was so bad
He asked his wife what to do
This is what she said
Take a bottle of kerosine
Spill it on the floor
Take a match
Make a scratch
No more candy store"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

Outside the window Mouser hides in shadows and looks to see if the coast is clear. If it is quiet, the thief takes his Potion of Clairaudience. He lets his mind reach out to magically "listen" around the area, inside the building, and below, to hopefully hear what is going on. (I think its a 30' radius.)

Once Hoom is outside, Mouser whispers: "From the smell of death, those tunnels may lead to the cemetery. Shall we go there? With all the commotion at the inn, the party isn't likely to return that way. We can follow above ground the direction of the tunnel, and I may be able to hear by the potion what is going on underground."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#128 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo falls to the terrible touch of the undead creature that is about to eat him.

Save vs. Posion (10) [1d20] = 9
Just in case he doesn't, I also rolled another futile attack. :x
Spear Attack [1d20] = 10 Damage [1d6] = 2

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:
Grognardsw wrote:Grey Mouser, thief
Once Hoom is outside, Mouser whispers: "From the smell of death, those tunnels may lead to the cemetery. Shall we go there? With all the commotion at the inn, the party isn't likely to return that way. We can follow above ground the direction of the tunnel, and I may be able to hear by the potion what is going on underground."
"Well it's on our way out of this town. It's worth a shot, but I don't have much hope for the others. Lead the way."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by AleBelly »

"Stand aside!" bellows Pelias to Ingrid, Moogeye and Avril. "and I shall return this spawn of hell to whence it came!"

If the PCs move aside, Pelias will attack.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#131 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

If Ingrid can heal Avril and give way to Pelias at the same time, she does so.
G A M E S :

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#132 Post by dmw71 »

Avril's eyes grow wide as she is convinced she witnesses the ghastly horror transform into something far worse... then is quickly snapped back to reality as she sees a spear pierce through the creature from behind it, causing the undead abomination to turn and face this surprise attacker. Her instinct is to continue to press her attack -- to capitalize on the creature turning its back to her -- but she hears Moogeye call her, beckoning her to fall back... and she finds herself complying with the request, taking cautious steps backwards until she is safely behind her hailing companion.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

Murder stalks the heroes in the claustrophobic, maze-like underworld.

The touch of the malevolent, living cadaver (X3) wracks Bo to his very bones!

Long Bo is wounded and overtaken by the netherworldly chill of death that grips his body, mind and soul. The druid collapses to the tunnel floor, shaking, numb and helpless.

The undead predator smiles with gleeful malice, and licks its bloody lips.

Telkis and Grothnak can't reach the battle to offer aid. But they are close enough to hear it.

While the horror's back is turned, the grievously wounded Avril, falls back as Moogeye offers to take her place, standing against the wretched, undead abomination that just felled Bo!
Moogeye swings her polearm at the monster's back and misses, her aim thrown off by these tight quarters! The wicked thing wheels, surprised to find another uninjured foe at its back again.

Ingrid helps steady Avril and heals her with Trithereon's holy blessing. (+3 hp)

Pelias advances past Ingrid and Avril and stands behind Moogeye. The sacred aura of his god's protection shields the young monk and extends beyond her!

The charnel house horror (X3) feels Pelias' holy aegis press against its profane, rotting flesh! The craven creature sees fresh enemies upon him, including a paladin. It considers dragging its stunned prey away to devour later but knows it would slow his escape. The wounded thing snarls and roars with spite, and then retreats. It leaps over Bo's prone body and races east down the tunnel into shadow, and disappears.
the tunnel beneath the inn.jpg
the tunnel beneath the inn.jpg (317.89 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Avril, Moogeye and Pelias suddenly smell a faint trace of smoke upwind, from the east.

Actions?

Above them, in Beswill's bedroom, Hoom strikes flint against steel and sets the door ablaze!
VROOSH!!

Then he scrambles for the open window!

Outside, Mouser hides in the shadows of the inn's back wall and scans the area. Seeing no one, the sorcerous thief drinks his Potion of Clairaudience.
Hoom joins him at the back of the inn as Mouser extends his senses to magically listen beneath the Golden Grain Inn and within it!

Voices come roaring into his head. They sound like his own.

"Stand aside!"
"Whats going on out there?!"
"GRRRRROAR!"
"Priestess, quickly: place yourself behind me"
"-start a fire?!"
"Spawn of hell!"

Mouser gains control and the voices in his head separate from his. He concentrates and eerily, inside his mind, the little thief can clearly hear everything being said in the tunnels! (from this round, all PC posts from 2/9 and 2/10)

Mouser focuses his attention above them and hears crackling flames, and disembodied voices from the cellar (15): "How the hell did she start a fire?!? Get the sand buckets from the kitchen. And you two, don't just stand there! Bring water from the pump!"

Mouser looks over and sees the water pump, 15 feet away from Hoom and him.

Actions, Hoom and Mouser?

Beneath the Inn of the Damned 8.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 8.jpg (558.04 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
DM Notes:
Map:
  • Each square is 5 feet. Movement in the tunnels is halved.
    Only the illuminated areas, that were visible to any PC this round, are shown.
    Red is used to indicate the dead. Green PCs are paralyzed.
    Brown-darkened areas are your recollections. Black-darkened areas are unlit rooms.

Dice:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis will squeeze past Grothnak to the first intersection ease of the room where they found Bertram. He'll look down each branch to try to determine if either one slopes upwards and could possibly be a way out - he'll report his findings to the others.

"What happened out here? What was it?" After seeing the fallen monstrosity, he stops asking questions. "We need to press on."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#135 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

How would Slow Poison affect Bo's condition?
G A M E S :

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

Mouser whispers to Hoom what his magick-enhanced inner ears hear.

They move to the water pump. "Aye, clog and burn," Mouser says to Hoom.

Mouser listens to the area around, alert for villagers. He hears his comrades underground to determine the direction they are moving. Can he follow them above-ground?
Can Mouser and Hoom use cover of tree, shrub or building to follow safely?

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Quickly moving into action, Hoom reaches into his pack grabbing the remains of the deer meat that he cut into strips. He forcefully pushes them into water pump's spigot in the hope of clogging it.
OCC: His next action will be to pour his remaining bottle of oil over the pump and lighting it a blaze, because their isn't enough fire in the game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#138 Post by dmw71 »

Relieved to have been relieved, Avril begins to visually inspect her wounds, but holds off on drawing upon her divine powers until after their current situation has been resolved in case others end up requiring her healing touch more than she does.
I'm still dealing with an unresolved family emergency which will make my availability over the next couple of days pretty spotty (but considering Inferno will be traveling for business, the timing may work out well). I don't expect it to be a problem, but please feel free to NPC Avril if I miss a turn.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Starbeard »

Moogeye stiffens as she watches the creepy scuttle away into darkness, then returns to her place in line ahead of Avril. She sniffs the smoke in the air. "I fear your companions may have found an overly zealous solution to our problem. Pressing on seems wise—where there is smoke, there is a blocked exit. We must find another way out."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#140 Post by dmw71 »

Inferno wrote:It leaps over Bo's prone body and races east down the tunnel into shadow, and disappears.
This is back towards the cellars, where Hoom and Mouser are, no?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”