House Rules

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

House Rules

#1 Post by mithrandir138 »

Standards and Expectations
This post is long, but I encourage you to read it. It is the "lay/law of the land".
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Early warning: This is an old-school style game. In short, your character might die, the CK is the final arbiter of all game decisions, and mainly, you'll be avoiding traps, fighting (and avoiding!) monsters, taking their stuff, and maybe helping a few people and solving mysteries on the way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is based on a post from an unknown person (who I would like to thank someday) that I found specifically about a Castles & Crusades PbP game. I have added quite a bit and I have removed some of the original content because it discouraged too much roleplay. For now, I want to encourage roleplay and not just hack and slash. However, I don't want it to bog down the game and bore people, we are starting with 8 players, so keep that in mind. I want to strike a balance between escapism and game mechanics.

Rule #1 - Have fun
This is mandatory and non-negotiable. I want you here, but not if you don't enjoy yourself enough to participate (more on that later.) If you aren't having fun, let me know, maybe I can do something about it. If I can't, we aren't married. I don't want you hanging on if you aren't having fun. It's not fair to you or the group. Some of the ways I may run the game might not be fun to you. That's OK, if you don't feel like you can cope, let me know - I may be able to adjust, but some things I may not budge on. It's not worth fighting over or staying in a game that's not fun. If you do bail out, please give me the courtesy of letting me know why so that I can learn.

Be awesome to each other
Be kind and respectful to other players in the game. If you can't do that, don't play in this game. I am no Saint Cuthbert - I have violated this rule myself - it wasn't a pleasant experience for any of the parties involved. If you feel like being a jerk or getting in an online fisticuffs-with-words with someone in the game, STOP -- BREATHE -- try to understand their point of view. Even if you feel it's justified - JUST DON'T DO IT. It's hard. I get it. Don't be that guy/gal. See Rule #1. If you must, use punctuation substitution: http://www.zefrank.com/punc/

That being said...
Check your thin skin at the door, grab some plate mail
While I expect everyone to be respectful and awesome to each other, I assume we are all adults here. If you are easily offended by adult themes or general unpleasantness, you might want to keep those thoughts to yourself if you can't cope when/if they come up. See Rule #1. I generally do not tolerate people who act indignant because someone offended their personal beliefs. If someone is being a jerk directly to you, that's a different story. That's unacceptable. If someone said something you didn't like and it wasn't directed at you, it's better if you keep that offense to yourself. Consider it "personal growth". ;)

Participation
If your name is on the roster, your participation is expected. However, I know life gets in the way, I get it. It's OK. I am a victim of it as well. That's why I am doing PbP in the first place ;) Just be mindful and respect that there are 8 other people (7 players and myself) in the game and they all want to have fun as much as you do. If you are going through a busy time at work, going on vacation, sick, or in any other situation that will keep you from posting for a while or delay your normal participation: just let the group know in the "I can't post because...." thread ( viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1040 ). Simple as that. Your character can "go scout ahead" or go on a bender in the local tavern, be ran by another player, etc. -- just specify your preference in your post.

Player post frequency
I expect at least 1 post a week. 3 times a week would be great, once a day outstanding, however, if you tend to post more frequently than others in the group, have patience with them and don't "over post" to compensate.

Grammar
Write in such a way that everyone can understand you and won't be irritated. Write to the best of your capability. Please keep Internet abbreviations to a minimum and do no use SMS-style abbreviations: The word "you" only has 2 more letters than "u", I know you can manage to type them!

OOC Banter
Make sure that you mark Out of Character text using the "ooc" tag. I don't mind OOC humor or banter, in fact I encourage it, just make sure that conversational type stuff goes in the OOC thread. However, it's totally fine to add some OOC quip or one-liner in your posts as long as they are brief. Just try to keep your in-character stuff serious and "immersed" in the setting and character actions

This is an old-school style game: Your characters aren't chess pieces on a board and this isn't Battletech
We will rarely be using a grid for tokens but it's not out of the question for complex battles to have a battlemap for illustration purposes. This is a "Theatre of the Mind"-style game. I am still working this out, just be forewarned. You are expected to describe your characters actions in relation to the environment, other characters, and creatures.

This is an old-school style game: You might not have a CK-provided dungeon map to refer to
Yep. I am going there. You should designate a mapper (and a backup) for the party. Since we are doing play-by-post, the mapper will not take any penalty for movement as in other old school games but XP bonuses will be provided to the mapper. I recommend using this: http://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/ If this becomes a problem to use, let me know.

Rules are Castles and Crusades - 4th Printing
I'll be referencing the 4th printing, though all of the printings are mostly similar. If you have a different printing note that there may be slight differences (or extensive, in the case of the Barbarian class.)

The CK reserves the right to change/omit/ignore/criticize any rule as written or add rules
I hold the rules in high regard however - THE RULES ARE MY SERVANT, NOT MY MASTER!
If any rulings are made that are to be persistant throughout the game, they will be documented so that you can all see, make fun, and criticize (kindly) -- viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1041
Encumbrance
Our encumbrance rules will be based on the suggestion from TLG themselves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BK73d3Sn0
A good guide for common sense for encumbrance in C&C is here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm

General addendum for Strength and Constitution prime characters: You can assume that you can carry 20lbs more than you normally could based on your STR attribute score.
Combat Rules
We will be following an AD&D 2nd Edition style of combat (except initiative rolls will be C&C -- highest to lowest) because it works better for PbP. Here's the combat sequence for each round:

1. The DM secretly decides what actions the monsters or NPCs will take, including casting spells (if any).
2. The players indicate what their characters will do, including casting spells (if any).
3. Initiative is determined. (The actions of the character/creature with the highest initiative resolve first....)
4. Actions are resolved in order of initiative.

Details are below:

Declaration of attack actions in combat
When you declare your attack action, describe how your character is attacking (you are encouraged to be creative and descriptive), go ahead and roll your attack roll with any standard modifiers, and roll damage. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below).

Declaration of your use of any class ability in combat
If you are using an ability with no associated attribute (meaning: there is no attribute in parentheses after its name) simply state you are using the ability and describe what your character is doing. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below).

An attribute in parentheses after the name of your ability indicates that using the ability requires an attribute check of that type. Roll a d20 with your declaration, adding any associated modifiers, and stating whether it is a prime attribute check or not by adding "PRIME" after the result of the roll. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below).

Declarations of any non-weapon attack action in combat (Example: acrobatics, etc.)
If you are performing any other action in combat, roll a d20 with your declaration. Assuming your roll is even needed, this will be your roll for any checks that are required. NOTE: This roll is not always used, this is for convenience and to keep things moving. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below). -- The CK will add any modifiers for your roll based on the attribute that he determines the check is against, if a check is made at all. This should keep things moving instead of requiring everyone to wait for the CK to tell you if a check is required and of what type -- you have already made your roll and all of the work is on the CK to add the modifiers, etc. if the roll has to be used.

Casting Spells
We will follow rules as written in 4th printing. You must describe how your character is dealing with requirements for any components or somatic and verbal actions. A spell may be interrupted by an attack at any point in the round until the spell goes off. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order (after appropriate casting time as elapsed) if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below).

Using Items
We will follow rules as written in 4th printing. You must describe what your character is doing with the item. CK will determine success and resolve the action in initiative order if the action is valid (see "Initiative" below).

Initiative
Because we are doing PbP, initiative gets bogged down if everyone rolls. CK will roll initiative for everyone. If you do not post in a reasonable period of time, and have not notified the group that you will not be posting for a while, your character will go on full defense. If this keeps happening for consecutive rounds, your character will make a defensive withdrawal, and if you still aren't posting, your character will have retreated to the nearest safe place. Your character will not receive XP

If your declaration turns out to be impossible when your initiative comes up, the action does not take place.

Disengagements
Disengagements are run by the book; you cannot break away from melee without consequence.
Poisons:
A character has a 5% chance of exposing himself to a poison whenever he applies it to a weapon or otherwise readies it for use. Additionally, a character who rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll with a poisoned weapon must make a DEX check (saving throw) or accidentally poison himself with the weapon.
Bennies
Every now and then the dice may not work for you. That’s why this game gives you, the player, a little control over your hero’s fate.

Every player starts each game session with three “Bennies” (American slang for “benefits”), represented by gaming stones or other tokens that signify a little bit of good luck or fate. The Game Master may also give you more Bennies for great roleplaying, overcoming major obstacles, or even entertaining everyone with an outlandish action, side-splitting comment, or other memorable act.

You can use Bennies to reroll any attribute/SIEGE check or attack roll. You can keep spending Bennies and rerolling as long as you like, and take the best of your attempts. If you roll a 5, for example, and a Benny gets you a 4, keep the original 5 instead.

Bennies cannot be spent on damage rolls or any other roll that isn’t an attribute/SIEGE check.

How does someone get more Bennies?

The CK should hand out a Benny anytime a player does something particularly clever, finds a very important clue, or generally advances the plot. You should also hand out Bennies for great roleplaying, particularly as it concerns any hinderances or flaws in their backstory. If a character jeopardizes his life to save his comrade, he definitely deserves a Benny for his efforts. It never hurts to reward a player for a great line, side-splitting in-game joke, or even a rare serious and dramatic moment. Bribes also help. :)
Character Creation Rules
We will be using the Unseen Servant Dice Roller. The campaign ID is: 94

(from pg. 8 of 4th Printing PHB)
GENERATING ATTRIBUTE SCORES
Attribute scores are generated by rolling 3d6. The player adds the results of the three dice together to create a total score that ranges between 3 and 18. This process is repeated six times. Once the six scores are generated, each score is assigned to one attribute, in any order the player chooses. When assigning attribute scores, the player should consider the race and class of the character being created. A character’s race may raise or lower an attribute score, and certain attribute scores may affect a character’s class abilities.

Mark primary attributes in the appropriate text fields next to the attribute scores in the Unseen Servant Dice Roller by entering "PRIME: " (before any attribute modifiers) -- example: for a an atribute score of 14 that you want to make primary, you would enter: PRIME: +1
PRIMARY AND SECONDARY ATTRIBUTES
There are two types of attributes: primary and secondary. Primary attributes are those physical or mental abilities in which a character is particularly well trained or very experienced in using. Secondary attributes are those the character uses with only average skill. A player selects the character’s primary attributes after choosing a class and race.

Human characters have three primary attributes. Demi-human races (dwarf, elf, gnome, half-elf, halfling and half-orc) have only two primary attributes. Each class has one primary attribute associated with it that cannot be changed. The player selects the others. So, a human character receives one primary attribute designated by the class and the other two are selected by the player. If playing a demi-human character, the player can select only one additional primary attribute. For example, the primary attribute for the ranger class is strength. If the player chooses to play an elf, he or she selects one of the five remaining attributes as the other primary attribute. If it were a human ranger, the player would select two more primary attributes rather than just one. The remaining attributes are considered to be secondary.

A single series of six attributes must be rolled for each character and determined via the "Roll Stats" function in the Unseen Servant Dice Roller after a new character made. Use the "3d6" option when rolling stats. No adjustments are accepted, but you may place the scores in any attribute you would like.

NOTE: If you get what you believe is a crappy roll, save the stats to the character and PM me. There is still hope. I am not a jerk about this, but I want to be fair. In general, you get what you get -- however, I realize that you want to play a character that is fun and isn't "hopeless". We can almost certainly work something out, but keep in mind, this is an old-school style game. Don't expect 3.5e/Pathfinder/4e stats.

Follow additional creation steps via the 4th printing of the PHB.

STARTING XP
You get the max based on your class.

ALIGNMENT RESTRICTIONS
No evil characters. Chaotic Neutral (my personal favorite most of the time when I play) is as non-good as you can go.

BACKGROUND/FLUFF/ETC.
Let's make this a fun RP experience. Get your noodle working on a good character concept. I don't want to only hack and slash our way through this, let's strive to make this a campaign we will remember and want to play for multiple adventures. Use this to get for inspiration: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjinlasbozs2o ... ground.pdf (providing all of the information is not required. It's just a resource to help you.)

Keep in mind that this campaign starts with characters adventuring in a frontier land, and we are likely to start with "The newly formed party (coming from adjacent areas/towns/settlements) is traveling to a settlement to help with the problems they are having (mostly for wealth and experience, some sort of moral obligation, the tenets of their deity demands it, etc. -- unless we can think of a better motivation together).
MULTICLASSING

If you are planning on multiclassing and haven't talked to me about it in depth -- PM me before you start to create your character. This is a published adventure with minor modifications, so multilclassing is discouraged but not banned. I have posted the house-ruled multiclass system we will be using for this game at the end of this post.
Choosing the Classes
1. Any class can combine with any other class barring alignment restrictions.
2. Up to two classes can be chosen
3. The chosen classes dictate your prime attributes. In cases where they match, CK involvement is needed to determine a replacement for the conflicting prime.
4. The starting max hit dice for each class are combined and then averaged, rounding up fractions of .5 or more, dropping any below that.

Advancing Levels
1. All experience points are divided up equally amongst the classes chosen for the character. For example, if a fighter/thief were to receive 250 experience points, 125 is applied to the fighter class and 125 to the thief class. All fractions are dropped.
2. Once a character acquires enough experience points to progress in one class, they do so. For example, a cleric/wizard has 2,252 experience points in both the wizard and cleric class (they must always be equal), that character advances to 2nd level cleric while remaining a 1st level wizard.
3. When advancing a level, use the Hit Dice type for the class one advanced in to determine the number hit points gained. Using the cleric/ wizard above, the player rolls a d8 for hit points. When the character acquires 2,602 experience points, a d4 is used for hit points.
4. The character level equals the level of the highest class plus half the sum of the levels of the remaining classes (rounded down). So a 4th/ 4th level thief/ fighter has 6 character levels. At the point the 11th character level is gained, hit point accumulation changes. At this point, hit point accumulation is equal to the advancement of the character’ classes at 10th level and beyond. For example, a 5th/ 5th fighter/ thief gains a level of thief so gains +2 hit points, when that character gains a level of fighter, they gain +4 hit points.
  • Multi-classed characters take the best to hit bonus of their respective classes.
  • Multi-classed characters use the least restrictive weapons list for their classes.
  • Multi-classed characters use the most restrictive armor list of their classes.
  • Multi-classed characters can not combine abilities. For example, a fighter’s extra attack means that the character can make an extra normal attack and not use that extra attack to deflect missiles, make a back attack or inspire.
  • Starting gold is determined by rolling for each class individually, combining the results and dividing that by the number of classes the character has.

Return to “C&C - A0: The Rising Knight”