Chapter 6: Beneath the Inn of the Damned

Inferno
Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 6: Beneath the Inn of the Damned

#41 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Seeing that Telkis swings into motion, Ingrid leaves the woman alone and moves closer to the now open tunnel entrance, shield & mace at ready...
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zhym »

A new battlefront opened, Grothnak takes his position behind Telkis and readies Vadok.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

As the young woman prisoner replies to the adventurers' questions, Avril notes that she has no visible injuries. "My name is Moogeye, (pronounced Moo-gai) and I came to Briarsgate from-"

She is suddenly interrupted as Telkis cries, "Finster!" and frantically unbars the southern door!

Then everything happens at once.

The door immediately pushes open with unexpected, inhuman force! Still holding the big, heavy crossbar in both hands, the little gnome is pushed back!*

A cold wind carries the stench of death as grasping hands thrust forward from the thin distance between door and jamb, reaching, grabbing, clutching, seizing, pushing blindly, frantically, relentlessly!

The horrific sight is mercifully brief. The icy, foul-smelling gust blows out the chamber's lone candle, plunging all into darkness!

Even the human-kin's infravision cannot discern what is happening in the dungeon's southern doorway now. The dozen hungry hands are without the warmth of living flesh! Frigid vapors rush forward at the heroes, bearing the stench of rotting corpses and the unholy howls of torment and malice!

Actions?!

Beneath the Inn of the Damned 1.jpg
Beneath the Inn of the Damned 1.jpg (214.88 KiB) Viewed 1221 times
DM Notes:
Map: Each square is 5 feet. Brown-darkened areas are your recollections. Blackened areas signify your lack of light.

This area is 7.5 feet wide, due to the iron cage on your right. You may attempt to fight two abreast, but all fumbles will result in a chance to hit your nearest ally, rather than a random roll on the fumble chart.

Neither side of the door is surprised, I will rule.

Attacking in darkness gives a -4 to hit, since you have a general sense of your foes' whereabouts.
Moving in darkness requires a 1d20 Dex save or else you'll be tangled up in the furniture or friends that crowd this space.
If a light is provided in this coming round, there will be no negatives to attack, or saves vs. movement required.

*Telkis, if you wish to push back against the door, please Roll 1d20 vs. Stength. Or you may step back and use your handaxe attack in this coming round of combat. Or you may do something else. Up to you.

Some of you will recall that the last time this door was opened, candles weren't blown out. Something has changed in the tunnels beyond the barred door.

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"Up the ladder Moogeye," snaps Mouser, holding at the ladder to let the fighters and clerics face the creatures that smell from the crypt.

The thief has heard of holy priests being able to repel the undead. "Ingrid, can your holiness drive them back?"

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

Hoom, standing next to the ladder, mishears Mouser cry. He races up the ladder and throws open the trap door. He'll continues into the bed chamber and will assist the others out who are sure to follow.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

"Stay low, Telkis," commands Grothnak, forgetting in the heat of the moment that he isn't in command. He swings Vadok in the direction of the door but above Telkis-height.

Vadok (Halberd +1) (THAC0 19): [1d20-2] = 5-2 = 3, Dmg [1d10+4] = 4+4 = 8 (S/M) [2d6+4] = 5+4 = 9 (L)

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric

Ingrid nods to the Mouser, than steps forward, holding up her holy symbol, the tryskelion. The silver medallion starts to glow...
"Unholy soulless minions of darkness, in the name of Trithereon, I banish thee!"

This will hopefully give the warriors better chances at fighting off the scourge.

Edit: roll as requested by Inferno:

Turn undead: [1d20] = 16, [1d12] = 10
Last edited by Fulci on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G A M E S :

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#48 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bo drops to his knees right where he is and begins the task of lighting his lantern.

I will try to get some light back in here. Probably should have thought of that a little sooner.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by dmw71 »

Avril reaches out with and feels for a wall, and backs up to it once contact has been established. Once Hoom throws open the trap door, she will reach for Moogeye's hand and lead her to, and up the ladder; following closely behind. If she successfully reaches the floor above, she will loosen her sword from its scabbard, but also grip the silver holy symbol she wears on a chain around her neck. "Ingrid should be powerful enough to hold them back --" she starts, saying to no one in particular, "-- but I may be able to fend them off should the situation call for it."
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by AleBelly »

Pelias awaits the onslaught of enemies. He braces his right foot against the wall next to him to help him keep his bearings. Concentrating on his sense of smell and hearing, he strikes out at any undead that attacks, trying to keep the front line intact.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter

"I've no choice but to stay low!" Telkis grunts, feeling Vadok slice the air over his head. Not liking his chances against so many foul undead in the pitch blackness, his first instinct is to push back on the door to try and hold it closed."We need some light in here!" he cries. "Help me with this door, Grothnak, my friend."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Inferno »

Day Five.
Village of Briarsgate, Beneath the Golden Grain Inn
(6)
Between 10 and 11pm, Thursday, October 20th, 576 CY.
Full moon, partly cloudy, damp, cold, misty.

Darkness in their eyes, absolute and all-consuming.
A fell wind on their faces, cold as the grave and just as heavy with the stench of death and decay.
Harrowing screams in their ears, of tortured souls beyond the aid of man of god.
Grasping, dead hands within their minds' eyes, reaching unseen to drag the living back down to Hell.
dead hands.jpg
dead hands.jpg (112.14 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
"Up the ladder Moogeye," says a disembodied voice between the macabre shrieks of torment and hatred. "Ingrid, can your holiness drive them back?"

Hoom feels his way up the ladder and throws open the trap door. He continues into the bed chamber and turns to assist the others who are sure to follow. Hoom waits in the darkness, for friends who never come.

Avril backs against a cold, stone wall and reaches out for Moogeye's hand to lead her up the ladder.
Moogeye feels a grasping hand in the pitch shadows and believes it's one of the undead. She instinctively lashes out to defend herself!
Avril feels a strong, sudden blow crash into her nose! (-3 hp)
Moogeye moves northward to get away from whatever that was.

Bo drops to his knees in the blackness of the void, finds his satchel, opens it and feels inside. "I will try to get some light back in here. Probably should have thought of that a little sooner."

Grothnak, Ingrid, Pelias and Telkis close ranks and advance blindly toward the portal of dead, grasping hands.
Ingrid's voice pierces the infinite nothingness. "Unholy soulless minions of darkness, in the name of Trithereon, I banish thee!"
Terrifying, blood-curdling screams of the unliving drown out all remaining senses in a crescendo of malevolence and suffering, and then slowly die.
Pelias stays his terrible hand, awaiting a target for his righteous wrath.

Bo finds matches and tinder on his fingers and pulls them out of his satchel with his oil lantern.

"Stay low, Telkis," commands Grothnak's voice in the blackness.
"I've no choice but to stay low!" grunts Telkis as he pushes back against the unbarred door and finds little resistance. "We need some light in here!" he cries. "Help me with this door, Grothnak, my friend."
Grothnak sightlessly swings mighty Vadok over the gnome's head! KRUNCH! The orc-blooded warrior is certain he's splintered a door.

Bo strikes a match and gets his lantern alight and aloft. Darkness is overcome and everyone, including Hoom who peers down from the trapdoor, can see the southern portal standing open and empty. The horrific creatures out of direst nightmare are gone.

Beyond the Vadok-splintered door is the cold, dark, wet maw of a 6' tall tunnel excavated into the dark earth beneath the inn, steeped in the sickening malodor of a charnel house. Bo's distant lantern illuminates 10 feet into the tunnel before all is engulfed in blackness.
a 6' tall tunnel excavated into the dark earth.jpg
a 6' tall tunnel excavated into the dark earth.jpg (243.46 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
Actions?!
Beneath the Innof the Damned 2.jpg
Beneath the Innof the Damned 2.jpg (425.86 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
DM Notes: Image

• Protection from Evil (Pelias): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Pelias.
Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Telkis Brassfang, Gnome Fighter

Telkis grimaces through his metal teeth as he casts his eyes over the now empty passage. He turns to face Ingrid. "Did your words alone do all that?" he asks, shaking his head in disbelief. "Ulaa's sparkling gemstones!" he says.

He will re-inspect what he can see of the tunnel, to see if the conditions have changed since yesterday. Does the wet floor seem impassable? Or just wet? Do the supports seem as if they'll crumble at the slightest pressure? Can he see Finster?
What direction are we facing?

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by Fulci »

Ingrid Esthof, cleric
ChubbyPixie wrote:Telkis grimaces through his metal teeth as he casts his eyes over the now empty passage. He turns to face Ingrid. "Did your words alone do all that?" he asks, shaking his head in disbelief. "Ulaa's sparkling gemstones!" he says.
"Yes," Ingrid says. "But they will be back. But then we shall be prepared to fight them."

She is ready to delve into the horrific tunnel. But what to do with Moogeye? She is an interference. And a possible spy... With a powerful right hook, judging by the blood running from poor Avril's nose! "Relax, Moogeye, she was only trying to defend you," she says, while handing Avril a more or less clean piece of cloth to wipe the blood.
G A M E S :

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by DadsAngry »

Hoom Feethos:

As the light from Bo lantern illuminates the room below Hoom notices that nobody follow him. Feeling a little embarrassed that he fled so quickly he tires his best to stealthy climb back down the ladder to join in at the rear of the ranks.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Grognardsw »

Grey Mouser, thief

"Is it worth going down there?" wonders Mouser aloud. "If the door was barred, and zombies would attack anyone, will it be an area that will help us figure out what's going on around here? I suppose if a death warlock were behind it all..."

If Moogeye is sent on her way through the window, thinks Mouser, she may or may not escape the town. If she's a spy, she'd turn us in. Otherwise, if she comes with us, her disappearance will be found in the morning giving us some hours of exploration.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#57 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Long Bo sighs heavily as he sees the results of the confusion.

Apologies friends. As rear guard and resident lamp bearer, I should have thought of getting that lit a lot sooner.

Now, I'm not going to lie. I'm not really very fond of the idea of chasing undead through a cramped underground earthen tunnel. Do you think one or more of us should stay back and guard the exit? We could also keep an eye on our new friend here.
He nods in Moogeye's direction.
Is the breeze still blowing from the tunnel?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by dmw71 »

Avril accepts the piece of cloth from Ingrid and dabs at the trickling blood from her smarting nose. "No worries," she assures her fellow cleric. "Apologies," she says to Moogeye, without making the slightest gesture to make contact with her again. "After what I can only imagine you've been through, I don't blame your reaction," she says, removing the cloth from in front of her face just long enough to flash a genuine smile in the escaped prisoner's direction. "Heck of a blow..." she admits before allowing that thought to trail off and turning her attention to the current situation.

"I'm all for pressing on," she states confidently. "I have no interest in returning topside, and potentially betraying our arrival in the event it is still somehow unknown. Absent any other courses of action, continuing on, now prepared and with light, seems the most logical course of action." She takes a small step in the direction of the now opened tunnel.

"Yes?" she "asks" in a decisive tone, leaving little room for questioning what her intentions are.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Zhym »

"Avril is right," states Grothnak. "We came here for a reason. We need answers. We do not have them. We press on."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

Avril casts Grothnak an appreciative nod before turning to address the group again.

"Perhaps Telkis and I could scout out ahead a short distance instead of having everyone advance en masse," she suggests, eyeing her half-orcish companion, vocal in his insistence of not splitting up the group, for signs of resistance to the idea. "Neither of us wear metal armor and can move relatively silently, and both can make out heat signatures in the darkness and could move without requiring a light source."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)”