#61 Post by Starbeard »

I'm good to go.

PointyEaredRogue
Runner
Runner

Re: Chapter 1 - The Chaos of the Lakeside

#62 Post by PointyEaredRogue »

Glaiz Goldenhook

Glaiz sees the confrontation heading dangerously close to a brawl; seeing Durgar standing unsteadily with a large branch was almost comical, but she knew he needed help now. She never could let anyone weaker go unprotected, and he was definitely in bad shape. She reaches in her pack and feels the handle of the dagger she took from her old home. It was mainly decorative - the shiny silver was almost blinding...at least, it used to be, before life and its cruel ways caught up with her. Her somewhat tarnished dagger still had an edge and a point, and that was good enough for her. That was her worst-case scenario, however: she was always better with words than with weapons; however, she has a hand on it, should she need to defend the others - or herself.

"Men, it is apparent you are trying to swindle these dwarves for their goods, thinking you can intimidate them into submission. There may be more of you, but you lack the hardiness of a dwarf. Let's not be daft: nothing comes between a dwarf and his goods. However, if you'd like to make this difficult, then we've obviously no issue with that." She motions to Durgar, brandishing his large stick, hoping his maladroit appearance would be enough to diffuse this as he looked too troublesome to be worth it, as well as the human who had a spear pointed in the midst of the two groups.

I'm going to go with Ugly Truth [B2] for this one, as I am trying to be as blunt as possible that we will not hesitate to throw down. Also, thanks for your patience, everyone. I'm done with finals and back now. :)
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.
-Carl Sagan

Glaiz Goldenhook, The Rise of Smaug [BW]

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#63 Post by Spectreman17 »

Marulus, can I get a reminder of my total dice at this point?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Marullus »

For Glaiz
Normally this would be a "We have moved past words" moment. They are already attacking, so trying to dissuade them from attacking isn't viable. Your post works as help to his Intimidation check (which he failed) - you didn't get to post for that one, so I'm fine just considering it to be timed more like then. Since it is time to just move this forward, I'm going to let the Ugly Truth helping die stand anyway. If you want to make an additional post about how you distract and dismay the attacking men in battle with barbed one-liners, that's cool, too.
Dice for Durgar
Dice to divide:
B2 (Beginner's luck brawling)
+B1 from Glaiz (ugly truth)
+ any FoRKs that Durgar wants to add

Split them between Attack and Defense before rolling, then roll-and-post.

Attack dice:
+B1 from Niping (dragon-wise)
+B1 Better armed

Defense dice:
+B1 from Whitfield (spear)
+G3 from Ironpull dwarves (greed)

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#65 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar Ironpull
[quote=Marullus]Dice to divide:
B2 (Beginner's luck brawling) Offense
+B1 from Glaiz (ugly truth) Defense
+ any FoRKs that Durgar wants to add
  • Intimidate +1 Offense
  • Conspicuous +1 Offense
  • Cargo-wise +1 Defense
  • Greed +2 Offense
Split them between Attack and Defense before rolling, then roll-and-post.

Attack dice:
+B1 from Niping (dragon-wise)
+B1 Better armed

Defense dice:
+B1 from Whitfield (spear)
+G3 from Ironpull dwarves (greed)[/quote]
Attack Dice:[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d6] = 2[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 3
Attack Dice Greed: [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 1
Defense Dice: [1d6] = 3[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 4
Defense Dice Greed: [1d6] = 5[1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5
Totals: Attack 5/8 Defense 5/6

I react to the men charging in as quickly as I can think. All I can think is disarm the two with swords. I swing my branch as a club, trying to catch Marsden across the arm or shoulder to disarm him with my first strike. The whole circle erupts in a melee, with dwarves and men scrambling to rob the wagons and make off with a little ill-earned loot in the madness. The men's blatant disregard for my word as guard infuriates me into a battle rage that I have never felt before. I charge up onto the lead wagon in the Ironpull train, knowing that the most valuable goods would be stored in the lead wagon, and swing mercilessly at anyone who approaches. doing my best to maintain my family's wares. The brawl, as quickly as it fired, burns out into people scrambling away with their remaining scraps. As the Men scatter, I shout over the camp as a whole, "These men of Dale are nothing more than leeches and thieves! If I catch any of them in our camp tonight, I'll banish them and whomever is protecting them. On my honor as the Gate Watch of Erebor, I stand by my duty to protect these people from outsiders, whether I have a gate or not. Let them not be seen here again."

As soon as things quiet back down, I realize how dangerous it was to engage swordsman with nothing more than a makeshift club, and decide inwardly, if this is to be my life now, I should learn to use one of these properly. I then ponder my death at the hands of a swordsman and break into cold sweats. I try to break from the crowd and return to a campfire for whatever scraps are left of that rabbit, but I see my father approaching. He has some words for me, and I dread them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Marullus »

"On my honor as the Gate Watch of Erebor, I stand by my duty to protect these people from outsiders, whether I have a gate or not. Let them not be seen here again."
Sounds like an Oath! :) It is a refinement of your current Oath, actually. Your current Oath is to gain a reputation (which will happen after a future session by player vote). Fulfilling this promise would be one way to get there.
As soon as things quiet back down, I realize how dangerous it was to engage swordsman with nothing more than a makeshift club, and decide inwardly, if this is to be my life now, I should learn to use one of these properly.
That sounds like a goal. Attach it to a belief at the end of the session and achieve it. It could be a new action on this belief, perhaps? "I must regain my honor from fleeing from the fight with Smaug. I must learn to use a weapon properly so I can protect the survivors."
FYI: You spent your one Persona point to add your Greed to your roll. Record that on your sheet.
You had four successes on attack and five successes on defense.

Marsden Attack Dice #1- [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 1
Marsden Attack Dice #2- [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1
Marsden Defense Dice - [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 4
Marsden: 2 attack vs 5 defense. You win. 3 defense vs 4 attack. You win.

Marsden leads the mass of enraged men and women forward, surging towards the dwarves and Whitfield, the brandishing spearman. The cold words of Glaiz echo in their ears and Whitfield's trained spear gives them pause, allowing times for the dwarves to regroup. Niping takes a position before his own wagon as Durgar leaps onto the lead wagon of the Ironpull camp, conspicuous and intimidating as he yells his threatening word at the humans. His words rally his kin, their white-hot greed unspokenly understood, bonding father, uncle, cousin, and son -- the dwarves surge forward, breaking the wave of less-armed humans, leading to a rout of the whole group. Beaten and surrounded by retreating men, Marsden also retreats, swearing vengeance on the Ironpulls before disappearing into the brush. Above the clouds, a roar sounds. The chilling presence of the dragon quells the remaining violence in the hearts of the dwarves, who quickly secure their carts and move to hiding. Another roar sounds further off, then there is another comfort in the silence that follows for people to begin to re-emerge. Dwarves mostly, most humans run off and those remaining now packing their belongings to be gone by sundown, "leeches and thieves" now being repeated in hushed tones with angry glares by various dwarven merchants as they eye the human women and children now packing their meager belongings. A human girl, twin braids hanging down the back of her mud-stained tunic, weeps openly, crying for her father and looking in the direction of those who fled. Her mother tries to hush her, ushering her away from the dwarves with fear in her eyes.

Word spreads among the pockets and camps established around small fires that there will be a meeting at dusk that night. Smaug picks and chooses his dinner each night, like a heron looking down on a school of tight-packed fish in the lake. Some wish to begin offering prey, wishing to decide who gets eaten. Some wish to move the camp together for protection to a new home further from the Dragon's domain. Others wish to break apart and scatter, taking their chances in the wild to improve their chances against the dragon. Valafl the artificer and Darbur Ironpull both claim the right to speak, their names helping to draw others to the meeting. But, it is only mid-morning, and dusk is far off.

Beginner's Luck: You have one-of-six tests against Brawling. After five more it will open.
Glaiz records a Challenging test for Ugly Truth.
Niping records a Challenging test for Dragon-wise.
Whitfield records a Challenging test for Spear.

Spectreman17
Guide
Guide

#67 Post by Spectreman17 »

Durgar Ironpull:

After a few short words with my father, which were leagues away from any form of thanks, I break from the crowd and return to the quiet of our little campfire. I did not wish the fight to escalate so far as it did, I didn't want all the men driven off. But choices must be made for the good of the people I serve. I resolve myself for the meeting to come, I do not intend to take part, for I am an enforcer now, not a decision maker.

As I return to the campfire I see here is no rabbit left, the price I pay for defending my clan. I take my fallen banner of the first Gate Battalion from my pack where it was hastefully lodged and begin folding it in the traditional manner, the way I have been taught for the last 14 years of my life. It is time for my day to end, I have had enough horror for one day.

I do crave a drink after this trouble and ask around the campfire if anyone has any to spare, for I did not have a chance to rescue any goods from Erebor and have nothing to trade besides my service and my company.
I'll drink whatever is offered to me, and if enough is avaiable, I'm gonna use drunking to get smashed

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Durgar:
That's a "Say Yes" moment. The relevance is from your trait, "Heavy Drinker." If he wants to find drinks after standing as a leader as he did, he can find them. If you want to use your trait to your detriment by getting drunk, you take a -1D penalty to the next scene (the way-ahead debate) but gain a Fate point.

Niping/Glaiz:
One of you will roll Circles while the other helps. Need you to describe how you're tracking down the lackluster apprentice/husband. Since Glaiz's belief specifies his status among the living is in question, it will be tough. You need to describe how you go about tracking him down.

Favrick:
Do the scrolls have anything to say about current events? Did you have visions about, or do you wish to make pronouncements upon, any of the other PCs?

Glaiz/Ilreth:
There are needy children and broken families caused by this recent conflict. Do you allow all Men of Dale to be fully driven from the camp or do you take action to intercede?

...Who takes action to speak to Whitfield and tie him to the dwarven group?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Marullus »

Durgar:
Spectreman17 wrote:Durgar definitely intends to get very drunk, but I might remind you that drunking covers pretending to be sober/not hung over in times of need as well as the skill of power drinking.
You get the Fate point for voluntarily disadvantaging yourself with the trait. If you try to do a roll to avoid the consequence, then it doesn't count for a Fate point. ;)

A roll also requires there be something consequential on the line. There has to be a reason, an objective you wish to achieve with a successful test, before you request the roll.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Marullus »

Durgar and Whitfield rejoin Ilreth around the campfire, speaking of the events and sharing drink. The roast rabbit seems to have been reduced to scraps while you stepped away.

Niping and Glaiz head off to look among the vagrants of Dale, discernable only as those who look accustomed to the state that all now find themselves in. The humans, including those that Niping and Glaiz are seeking, continue to pack and prepare to flee by dawn. No one as yet has mustered the courage to speak out against the division.

Favrick remains undecided, looking where the children were before the brawl and to those now gathered at the fire, an elf, a dwarf, a man. Something of prophesy...

It is a special rule. Circles helps Circles. Can't help with a skill, and she can't add FoRKs. It also requires "similar lifepaths" to do, but I'd say you both cover that well.

So, Glaiz has 3D circles, +1D Affiliation for 4D. +1D for help from Niping, so 5D.
Finding someone with specific information on Lann is an Ob 4. Failure consequence is finding a caustic and unwilling person with said information. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Marullus »

Topics split:

Chapter 2A - The Search for Lan. Niping and Glaiz.

Chapter 2B - Of Fate, Race, and Fires. Favrick, Durgar, Whit, Ilreth.

Return to “2015 Archive”