Upcoming Magazine Themes

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

Upcoming Magazine Themes

#1 Post by winemaker81 »

Upcoming Magazine Themes

The & Publishing Group editorial team keeps a rolling list of upcoming themes. We target articles for the next few issues to give us and our authors a focus. Here is the current list:
  • Issue 14 – Feb 2016 – Companion Animals
  • Issue 15 – May 2016 – Not Demons Nor Devils
  • Issue 16 – Aug 2016 – Dragons
  • Issue 17 – Nov 2016 – Fighters
  • Issue 18 – Feb 2017 – Villages and Hamlets
  • Issue 19 – May 2017 – Mythologies and Deities
  • Issue 20 – Aug 2017 – Crossovers
  • Issue 21 – Nov 2017 – Campaign Diaries
  • Issue 22 – Feb 2018 – Demons and Devils
For each issue the deadline for article submissions is 3 months prior to publication.

Please note that most of this is not graven in stone. At any point the next issue and the one after that are set — anything beyond that is subject to change.

If YOU have ideas for themes? Email submissions@and-mag.com with your ideas, and we will consider them!
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

But I don't serve the dice. They are MY tools, not the other way around. Gary always told me that I, as DM, was the final arbiter ...
-- ExTSR

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Upcoming Magazine Themes

#2 Post by Keehnelf »

Are you basically set on content for #14 at this point?

Welcome to the site, by the way!

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Norjax »

Is Issue #20 about genre crossovers; i.e. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

Norjax wrote:Is Issue #20 about genre crossovers; i.e. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?
That, or Tim Hardaway. ;)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by ToniXX »

dmw71 wrote:
Norjax wrote:Is Issue #20 about genre crossovers; i.e. Expedition to the Barrier Peaks?
Hahaha nice one, Dave!
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:Hahaha nice one, Dave!
Back when basketball was actually worth watching. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Norjax »

dmw71 wrote:
Nice! :lol:

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

#8 Post by winemaker81 »

Keehnelf wrote:Are you basically set on content for #14 at this point?

Welcome to the site, by the way!
Thanks for the welcome!

In theory we should be set ... but don't let that stop you from submitting! I do the layout and we always need short articles to round out the page count.

Note: Every & publication has a page count that is a multiple of 4, so everything prints neatly with no blank pages. Most issues I need to add 1 to 3 pages to fill the count. Extra articles are handy ... and will get used in then next issue.
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

But I don't serve the dice. They are MY tools, not the other way around. Gary always told me that I, as DM, was the final arbiter ...
-- ExTSR

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Keehnelf »

Nice, good to hear. I've got some ideas I was thinking of putting into order specifically on the topic already.

Lord Biblos
Squire
Squire

#10 Post by Lord Biblos »

winemaker81 wrote:Upcoming Magazine Themes

The & Publishing Group editorial team keeps a rolling list of upcoming themes. We target articles for the next few issues to give us and our authors a focus. Here is the current list:
  • Issue 14 – Feb 2016 – Companion Animals
  • Issue 15 – May 2016 – Not Demons Nor Devils
  • Issue 16 – Aug 2016 – Dragons
  • Issue 17 – Nov 2016 – Fighters
  • Issue 18 – Feb 2017 – Villages and Hamlets
  • Issue 19 – May 2017 – Mythologies and Deities
  • Issue 20 – Aug 2017 – Crossovers
  • Issue 21 – Nov 2017 – Campaign Diaries
  • Issue 22 – Feb 2018 – Demons and Devils
For each issue the deadline for article submissions is 3 months prior to publication.

Please note that most of this is not graven in stone. At any point the next issue and the one after that are set — anything beyond that is subject to change.

If YOU have ideas for themes? Email submissions@and-mag.com with your ideas, and we will consider them!
As was noted above, it appears that some of the themes may not be totally clear. The & team generally discusses possibilities - and then they get distilled down, and into the type of shorthand you see above.

"Crossovers" is probably the most indiscernible topic. What we're looking for is the translation to / from other game systems - typically for a "mini-campaign" or perhaps only a nights adventure - where the AD&D adventure takes place in another game system. I've personally seen translations into Gamma World, and Marvel Super Hero's.

"Not Demons nor Devils" is targeted towards the lower planes that do NOT involve demons and devils.

I think the rest is self-explanatory. But perhaps not. If you need guidance, or have questions - ask. We'll see if we can help you out.

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

#11 Post by winemaker81 »

We keep our list of themes on our web site. The list generally gets updated after each issue is published.

Please note that the theme that is top of the list is the one that is in production -- at this point this one is happening. The second one in the list is also in production ... but it *might* get swapped out for various reasons, such as if we have more complete articles for another theme. [Although this has happened, it's unlikely to happen again.]

All themes after that are subject to change. Something that seemed like a great idea 2 years ago ... may not be garnering the articles that we hoped. When that happens, we re-organize the list.

Important Note: While we produced themed magazines, we only commit to 60% of the content matching the theme. That leaves up to 40% of the content being off-theme. If you have an article (or idea for an article) that doesn't match a theme -- DO NOT let that stop you! We have room for quality articles.

Does anyone have ideas for themes that the &PG hasn't thought of? Please post!
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

-- ExTSR

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Any plans to maybe do some articles on world and dungeon building? I know some of the dragon magazine issues did this a while back in 1e-3e haven't really kept up with their newer issues but I did find a lot of these articles helped. It'd be cool to see what you guys have to say about how to go about doing this.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

I feel like there's always a little of that every issue. :)
But it definitely ties into some upcoming themes: http://www.and-mag.com/submissions/upco ... ne-themes/

But as a standalone theme would be interesting.
Thanks Ed!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Starbeard »

After reading the thread about racing against the clock, I think an issue dedicated to time and timekeeping would be really neat. I don't think it's something that's ever gotten a lot of dedicated attention in magazines, but there loads of great article possibilities: adventures with countdown timers, tracking time in campaigns, time travel, new spells/items/monsters, tips on keeping game sessions from going overtime, etc.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Starbeard wrote:I think an issue dedicated to time and timekeeping would be really neat.
I know I'd like to see it. Preferably sooner rather than later. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Nordbo »

Time travel would be an interesting topic!

Post edited because I realised it was rambling on in an OT way
Last edited by Nordbo on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by rredmond »

Wasn't there a Dragon adventure where the party gets sent into olde England or something??
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

rredmond wrote:I feel like there's always a little of that every issue. :)
But it definitely ties into some upcoming themes: http://www.and-mag.com/submissions/upco ... ne-themes/

But as a standalone theme would be interesting.
Thanks Ed!
--Ron--
Looks like issue #15 is a little late there Ron :shock: ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

#19 Post by winemaker81 »

I started an article on building a world some years back -- it's been on a backburner. I recently spotted it my files and have plans to dust it off. In the article I provide a description of what I did in creating a new campaign world, and guidelines that help produce a better product with less work.

Regarding the other topics mentioned -- we choose themes based upon what we have or can get for articles. Although members of the &PG team write a lot, we need articles to make a theme work.

Hint, hint ... start writing! :D

Please note that our target is at least 60% of the material in an issue is related to the theme ... which means up to 40% is NOT related to the theme. Regardless of theme, we have room for non-theme materials.

Regarding Issue 15, we are collecting the final art and are aiming to get it out by the end of July.

Another bit of news -- we've been investigating print on demand for folks that want hard copy. So far the costs appear to be $4-$6 USD for color cover with B&W interior, or $18-$20 USD for full color. If things go as expected we'll offer perfect bound copies of Issue 15, and will (as time allows) make available POD versions of all previous publications.

Please note that the &PG is a zero revenue organization -- POD copies will be sold at cost via the POD vendor -- the cover price exactly matches the cost to print and ship.
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

-- ExTSR

Return to “Ideas for Articles”