& Magazine

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

& Magazine

#1 Post by rredmond »

Hello everyone!

I think most know that I've been involved in & Publishing Group. &PG puts out the & Magazine which is a free, theme-based magazine that we put out quarterly. The magazine focuses on Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, but is pretty much compatible with earlier editions of D&D. As our website says, we aim to provide ideas, perspectives, entertainment, thought-provoking articles and game aids for both the player and the dungeon master. & Magazine’s tagline, “Filling in the Gaps for Old School Gamers,” summarizes the mission: to feature fan-driven content for older editions of D&D including fiction, editorials, and a variety of game aids such as new monsters, spells, and character classes; rules variants; adventure maps; and original adventures. You can check out the website here:

&PG also puts out freely downloadable modules and supplements for AD&D. It's a pretty tight niche market, and everything we put out is free. Anyway I spoke to ToniXX and the guys over at &PG and we really feel that it would be great to have a subforum dedicated to & Magazine on Unseen Servant. In the past I know we've tried to build a town, and there have been other attempts to do group projects for & Mag and I'm still hoping we can do that. Heck the magazine lured Alethan to write a One Page (really two) Dungeon.

So I selfishly put forward having a forum here, not only because I'd like to get a group project done, or even (as Greg and I have bandied about in the past) a column dedicated to PbP gaming, and not only because Unseen Servant and & Mag are two things that I spend a lot of time on, but because I thought one of the coolest Magazines on the Net needs to be on one of the coolest forums. It may seem a weird mix, a free D&D mag on a PbP forum, but considering the people I know on here, I think it's a perfect pairing. I told the & Mag team that this was the most supportive and friendly group of folks in any forum, hands down. I think that's something to be real proud about. Anyway, I also know that there's a lot of creativity here on Unseen Servant, too, that can't wait to be published in a magazine, or as a module or supplement. Campaigns, adventures, new monsters, new magic items, we're busting out of the seams with creativity.

That's my spiel, we're going to give it a run and see how we all like it. :) Please feel free to interact in the & Magazine forums here:

viewforum.php?f=309

Feel free to comment, suggest, submit, whatever amount of participation you're comfortable with.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: & Magazine

#2 Post by Alethan »

This is a great idea, rredmond! Looking forward to seeing what this new addition to the forum brings.

As an aside, I had something published in the last issue. ;) If I can do it, there are people on here with a lot better ideas than me who could certainly get something in it, as well.

Cheers,

Al
Site Moderator
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by ToniXX »

Welcome to the Unseen Servant, & Magazine! I'm very happy to have you aboard. I hope this section can flourish with ideas and help make the magazine even better.

(I moved Ron's initial post into this newly made forum so other's can also reply.)
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

this sounds great thanks for bringing this to the site guys
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by winemaker81 »

We're glad to be here!

Here's a REALLY important point: We operate mostly in a vacuum.

We have over 5,000 downloads of Issue 12 ... and ZERO feedback. This is typical. We have no clue what we are doing right or wrong. So we keep doing what we are doing and hope for the best.

Ideally, all feedback will be positive and everyone will love everything we publish.

<SPLURGHHH>

Ok, I just snorted wine out my nose writing that. Even I had to laugh. NO ONE is going to love everything.

We target 51%. If barely more than half the readers find an article at least interesting, it was worth publishing. If we get a few people that write in and tell us (in detail) how stupid an author's POV is? Honestly? We still succeeded. We got someone thinking.

& Magazine, in Andrew's (our senior editor) words -- is an idea mine. Sometimes an article sparks positive thoughts. Sometimes irritation at an article sparks creativity. Both are success stories, even if the route is different.

So tell us what works for you and what doesn't.
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

But I don't serve the dice. They are MY tools, not the other way around. Gary always told me that I, as DM, was the final arbiter ...
-- ExTSR

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Huh... So I leave for like... awhile, and now we've got our own magazine subforum?

Great! I've always liked the & Magazine whenever it was posted on here!
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Thanks all!
We gotta get better at delivering an issue quarterly, but that's what happens with an all-volunteer work force. :)
Stupid Real Life getting in the way!
--Ron--
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

We'll take it when we can get it, Ron!
Keep up the great work!!
Winter is coming...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

Casting Raise Dead on & Mag!
Yeah. So quarterly is tough :shock: but lots of good stuff in this issue:
& Magazine Issue 13 has been released!

*Character Races* is now available for free download on the & Publishing Group web site!

Included in this issue are great articles like:

• Brown Elves – Player Character Race, by Goblin's Henchman
  • Canaer, by Leonard Zucconi
  • Aquatic Player Character Races, by Andrew Hamilton
  • Elves of Black Shadow, by Ralph Glatt
  • Ecology of the Monster Hunter, by Bill McDonald
  • Faerie Magic, by Andrew Hamilton
  • Persistent Paladin Problems, by Duane VanderPol
  • Monitor Class, by Lenard Lakofka
  • Seeing in the Dark, by Leon Baradat
  • Setting up a Proper Dungeon, by D. H. Boggs

Plus all the regular columns you expect!

As always, we have great art from Art Director Del Teigeler along with John Fredericks, Cory "Shonuff" Gelnett, Martin H, Caleb Horowitz, Robin Irwin, Chris Letzelter, Milo, Michael Raston, Del Teigeler, and JV West.

In addition to material from regular contributors Timothy Connolly, John Fredericks, Goblin's Henchman, Lenard Lakofka – we have articles from Kevin Birge, D. H. Boggs, Bill McDonald, Duane VanderPol, and Leonard Zucconi.

Please get the word out to share on other forums, sites and social media, and I truly hope you old schoolers, and newer folk ;) enjoy and find the issue useful! :D

--Ron--
:)

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Inferno »

Looks great! Will check it out. Thanks!
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Thanks!
--Ron--

winemaker81
Runner
Runner

#13 Post by winemaker81 »

As Ron said earlier (much earlier, like a year ago) -- we operate mostly in a vacuum. The amount of feedback we get is trivial. So far we've had over 2,400 downloads of issue #13 ... and no feedback other than a few folks saying "good job".

That's nice to hear, that people are enjoying the magazine! :D But we are steering the ship by the stars ... on a cloudy night. We are going full speed ahead ... to some place.

Name your 3 most favorite and 3 least favorite articles, and why. We don't need a book, just a sentence or 2 that gives us an idea of what is working and what isn't working.

Thanks!
Bryan
Bryan's AD&D Home

But I don't serve the dice. They are MY tools, not the other way around. Gary always told me that I, as DM, was the final arbiter ...
-- ExTSR

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by hedgeknight »

Just started reading this issue and found this gem in the opening comments:

What we are is a fraternity, comrades-in-arms, workers in the ongoing effort to keep old school gaming alive, and passing it on to future generations.

Well said, Bryan! :)

If you need any help (proofing, editing, etc) let me know.
And love the cover by Chris Letzelter!

Good gaming!
~ Hedge
Winter is coming...

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by rredmond »

hedgeknight wrote: And love the cover by Chris Letzelter!
Chris' stuff is awesome. His dragon turtle attack may be my fave!

Return to “General Discussion”