[Completed] - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

#321 Post by Keehnelf »

Orrin picked up a goblin spear in the midst of the melee and there is an intact, if low quality, shield lying nearby that he could scavenge as well.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Keehnelf »

zorroroaster indicated a desire to tell the tale, so I'm going to move the thread with the story in it to the public forum--I'll link to it from here.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Keehnelf »

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Keehnelf »

For completeness' sake:
Zorroroaster wrote:Orrin watches them leave, letting out a low breath that feels like it's been held inside for far too long. He looks at Kennit and Rhodri, and shrugs.

"No hard feelings, I hope? I never wanted things to go as they had, and I apologize to you both for the trouble I may have caused you. I think it's clear Fangir wants us out of here while he does whatever he intends to do. His foe here in the mountain is truly terrible, and I honestly can't say who will prevail. Zyggmaur is evil incarnate, and bent on forcing this entire land to his twisted will. I will head back to Vaul to heal and try and cobble together some supplies. After that, only Morthammor knows."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#325 Post by Spartakos »

keehnelf wrote:I can confirm that these are interactions that took place in private threads that were transcribed into this one, just in case such an assurance was necessary.
Thanks! :)
And wow, that's quite a story Orrin has to tell! I hope we all live long enough for him to share it with Rhodri and Kennit.

Rhodri's eyebrows raise a bit at Orrin's apology. "No hard feelings about that disagreement in the woods, at least on my part...weren't any then, nor now. I'd say we've got a lot bigger fish to fry for the moment. Tell us what you can about 'Zyggmaur' and this Fangir, but let's talk as we move."

If the others will assist him, Rhodri wants to head down the tunnel Numen took, dragging the Black Beast's carcass.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#326 Post by KingOfCowards »

It sounds like the three of them will try dragging the wolf corpse out of the mountain. Kennit stays unusually quite, visibly upset by what they just experienced.
At Orrin's attempt to make amends, Kennit nods, somewhat sadly. "Dammitall, you were right, Orrin. About, Numen...about the sword. I didn't know if I would ever forgive you for leaving us with that madman. But I'd never wish your group's fate on anyone. I can tell you think the Black Beast's spirit lived on, and that's exactly what's been bothering me. I could overhear Numen's prayer over the Beast's body, and I believe it lives on through him."

Where is former-Jem? Did he follow off with Fangir? I assume Rhodri still wants to skin this beast when we get out of here. Which means Numen has a good lead on us. I was considering trying to head for the standing stones to cut him off, but maybe Vaul is a better destination. Your call Rhodri, you're the leader.

EDIT: Reading Orrin's story, now I see why he was smiling after hearing Kennit wanted to help kill some "goblins". I had no idea what they were up against.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Keehnelf »

Yes, zombie-Jem departed with Fangir.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin picks up the shield laying nearby, and joins Kennit and Rhodri in hoisting the wolf carcass, grunting with the effort.

"Aye, I believe you are right on that one, I don't think the Beast can be felled so easily. And right or not doesn't matter anymore. We are alive, that's all that matters. For what it's worth, I don't think Fangir is entirely sane either, although I wouldn't imagine anyone would be fully whole after what he's been through. I do believe him honourable though. Let's hope he accomplishes what he came here to do. I think heading back to Vaul is probably the best plan for me."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Keehnelf »

April 29, 1 VC - 2:30pm

The newly-comprised party of Rhodri, Kennit and Orrin drags the massive wolf carcass from the dungeon: the distance is not great, but the thing's bulk and the fear of attack by more goblins or other servants of Zyggmaur make it feel an eternity. Along the way, the party finds the corpse of the white-skinned goblin lying in the middle of the first chamber, decapitated in a pool of his own blood. There is a fully-usable long sword nearby, the body bears a dozen gold pieces in various coins, and the thing's chainmail, though damaged, is serviceable and large enough for Orrin's fever-starved frame. Most importantly, the creatures stinky, hard-soled boots are just barely big enough to accommodate his feet and will make the trip back to Vaul much faster.

Once outside in the forest, the group sets to work on the wolf's pelt. The fur is extremely coarse and needle-like, and slips while cutting the skin result in one more than one pricked finger. The musty smell of large animal has begun to fade from the body and be replaced with an acrid, almost metallic, odor. The group are relieved to find flesh and bones of the normal kind beneath the skin, and they set about lashing the pelt to a backpack (it weighs forty pounds by itself) before plotting their next movements.

Did you plan on taking the head as a trophy as well, or just skinning it?

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#330 Post by Spartakos »

I'd like to catch Numen...but I don't know how we'd beat him to the Standing Stones, even if we abandoned the wolf pelt. We don't even know for certain he's headed there, though I'll admit it's a sound prediction.
But on the other hand...Rhodri does NOT want to walk away from this empty-handed. :)

There's also the food situation to consider; Rhodri has 2 days rations left, and Orrin hasn't got any food.

How long does it take us to skin the wolf? Would taking the head take any additional time?

EDIT: we will definitely take the coin and weaponry off the white-skinned goblin.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Keehnelf »

It takes less time to chop the head off than to skin it.

The skinning process takes about an hour, thus the ending time stamp.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#332 Post by Spartakos »

After consulting my map, I say we head southwest. The Standing Stones are kind of on our way back to Vaul anyway. Let's get through the forest and re-assess our situation.

Rhodri uses his goblin-chopper to behead the black wolf as well, putting it in his large sack. "Let's move; we're on short rations and still in hostile territory, so let's get to the edge of the forest and see how we stand then. If we see Numen...take no chances, put him down. He may have wolf allies now, though, and don't forget that damned white hound of his." Muttering curses in elvish and common, Rhodri slings the sack over his shoulder and leads the way southward.

Southwest for a day.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Keehnelf »

April 30, 1 CV - 1:00pm

The trio head southwest, the pelt and head of the black wolf their souvenirs of the uncanny expedition. The forest seems very quiet as they make their way toward its southern edge: while they pass signs of passage of individuals and groups in all directions, they do not encounter anyone or anything of note before they break free of the treeline to the moor around mid-day the next day.

Please deduct one day's rations apiece! Let me know if no one is sharing with Orrin so I can start tracking that.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#334 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit has 3 days rations. He can share with Orrin. 2 days deducted, 1 left.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin hoists the chainmail and boots on and trudged through the woods with the others.

"Thanks for the grub. We might need to hunt for food along the way, I don't want you two starving because of me."

He is sullen at times, though he tries hard not to let it show. Events of the past days weigh heavily on his mind at a time when all he really wants is rest and recovery.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#336 Post by Spartakos »

1 days rations deducted; 1 day remaining

Rhodri grunts something noncommittal at Orrin as they eat a sparse breakfast. "Right now, I don't want to slow down to hunt...I want to take a chance at intercepting Numen. After that--whether we find him or no--we'll see what we can shoot on the way back to Vaul that might be worth eating." Kicking some dirt over their small campfire, he readies his gear and starts out as soon as the others are on their feet.

It is a grim and mostly silent party trooping across the moor; Rhodri sets as fast a pace as he thinks Orrin can keep up with, and fingers his sword-hilt constantly.

From here, we head south; that should put us close to Vaul, but on the way should take us by the Standing Stones. We'll approach them cautiously, looking for any sign of Numen; if we see nothing, we'll carry on to Vaul.
We've got 2 days rations between us; I say we split it all equally among the 3 of us, so everybody gets 2/3 of a day's ration. Better than starving.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by Keehnelf »

May 1, 1 VC - 10:10pm

The trio continue south, course-correcting a bit to the east to be sure they come within sight of the standing stones along their way. By this time, a path heading straight north from Vaul to the forest is visible in the scrubby grass of the moor, and the party makes easy time. They pass within view of the standing stones, seeing no sign of motion, about mid-day on the 1st, and approach cautiously in case an ambush has been set.

They make a cursory inspection of the area, looking on and around the massive flat-topped stone altar in the middle of the ring as well as in the dirt around it, and find unmistakable fresh signs of Numen's presence and that of his dog. Footprints in the mid circle the stone primarily on one side, and below the lip of the stone on that side they find a deep recess with signs of inspection or disturbance. They look and reach inside, but find nothing.

Satisfied that they were unable to catch their quarry, low on provisions and with a barely-equipped and injured dwarf in tow, the trio decide to retire to the nearby town for recuperation rather than risk a chase without knowing which direction to travel. They elect to press on until after dark, finally making their way through the gates just about 10pm.

This expedition is at an end. I will post another time with rewards soon.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Keehnelf »

Rewards:

Accomplishments:
Defeated 8 goblins
Defeated 1 wolf
Released wolves
Discovered special properties of the grotto
Discovered kennel entrance
Recovered the black beast's pelt

Loot:
29gp 6sp
Poor-quality spear
Poor-quality shield
Damaged chainmail

600xp total, divided by 2 = 300xp each for Rhodri and Kennit

Orrin receives 120xp for his (mis)adventure

Orrin, Kennit and Rhodri are now on May 2 since they arrived so late. Please deduct the cost of one day's lodging each, and do any business you need to do with the Duke in Town Business - Vaul.

This thread is now closed.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”