Posting Protocols

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Posting Protocols

#1 Post by Vargr1105 »

All these protocols are enforced for the sake of PbP expediency

Party Choices

When the party faces a choice that must be decided by group consent, such as which path to take on a dungeon, the decision is taken by the majority. Character actions, comments, dialogue or thoughts will be interpreted as a "vote" for either-or.

i.e. Two paths present themselves to the characters

Player #1 Post - Ralph the Thief says "I think we should go left."
Player #2 Post - Peter the Paladin says "I think we should go right"
Player #3 Post - Bob the Fighter thinks to himself that the right path looks less menancing.
Player #4 Post - (does not post)

GM's answer - After taking the right path and following it for couple of minutes...

Equivalent Individual Actions

When two or more players describe their characters undertaking the exact same action (i.e. two characters picking up the same single object or opening the same small door) the earliest post is the one that actually takes place.

Description of Intent in Combat

This is done for each round before initiative is rolled. Any dice rolls required by a player for his character's stated intent, such as attack rolls, damage rolls (for weapons or magic), skill rolls, etc should be made together with the statement of intent. Initiative and situational factors may well lead to the roll "not happening" after all, such as a fighter who gets knocked out before he gets a chance to attack; but for the sake of faster combat and needing less posts to describe and adjudicate every action this method shall be used.

For anything other than a natural 1 on an attack roll you should also roll damage and post it...you never know what unseen modifiers may be in effect.

When the statement of intent to attack/effect a target becomes impossible to accomplish, such as when the target of a wizard PC's Magic Missile is killed before the spell goes off, or when a friendly PC gets in the firing line of character attacking with a bow; the GM will assume nearest viable target to the one initially selected will be targeted. If this is not possible, the action is lost.

Spellcasting "lost" in this manner does not spend a spell slot or memorized spell. If combat continues to the next round the spellcaster may choose to "delay" the casting and unleash that spell until the next round, on his side's normal segment of initiative. The player should state this during that round's statement of intent.

Surprise and Initiative

The GM will make these rolls and provide the links for the dice roll results.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Posting Protocols

#2 Post by Vargr1105 »

Spell Memorization Protocol

Players running spellcasters should take not of the Versatile Vancian Magic rules.

Their PCs can change their lists of memorized spells after each rest period (night). When desiring to do this a note should be made in a post after the GM begins a new day. Memorizing a spell requires about 10 uninterrupted minutes per level of spell, if there is not enough time for re-memorization before some event the GM will make it clear. When several spells are being re-memorized, in case time only allows a portion of the selection it will happen in the order that the player posted them.

E.g. A player posts his mage PC is memorizing Magic Missile and Detect Magic when a new day begins. Normally this would take circa 20 minutes, but after a quarter of an hour the party is attacked. Since the player listed Magic Missile as the first spell it will be memorized but Detect Magic will not.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Posting Protocols

#3 Post by Vargr1105 »

Combat & Moving Things Forward

It has been my experience both as a player and GM that combat is when things usually get dragged down, as actions have to be posted for each and every character. In light of this I am instituting the following protocol:

- While in combat there is a 2 day tolerance period from the time the GM asks for combat declaration of action (for each round). PCs who have no combat action declared for them until then will be NPC-ed by the GM for that round.

- GM NPC-ing will not include use of magic of any special abilities. Just attack or defense and as little movement as possible.

- The weekend (Saturday and Sunday) will count as only one day for this purpose.

Return to “UK5 Eye of the Serpent”