Chapter 2c - The Bunker

AleBelly
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2c - The First Foray (Little Women)

#201 Post by Marullus »

The diminutive brunette simply nods at Eduard's confirmation. She smiles back at him, and reaches up to pluck a dried flower from one of the bundles hanging, petals-down, from the rafters. "My name is Hellebore, like the flower. I am Arlandria's closest sister, she is two years younger... my shadow." She hands the flower to Eduard, its black petals slightly curled and shriveled on its stem. "...was. She was. Be careful, it is dangerous."

She eats some of her stew, seeming content as she chews a chunk of kelp. She stops abruptly at Yana's words, her eyes cold, level, staring at her. A low growl emanates from under the kitchen table, the wolf has stopped tearing at its meal as well, now also staring. "You are responsible? You slit my sister's... the mangled throat?" she says, quietly, her voice catching.
Attachments
hellebore.jpg
hellebore.jpg (17.01 KiB) Viewed 318 times

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by Enoch »

"What?" Yana's eyes go wide. "No--no, of course not. I just mean that--maybe if I'd listened to Ilfrien she would still be alive is all. I thought..."

She trails off and hangs her head, tears glistening in her eyes.
Last edited by Enoch on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Zorroroaster »

Eduard carefully places the flower down in the center of the table and clears his throat as he looks back and forth between Yana and Hellebore.

"I've heard a wives-tale that witches will use the flower in rituals for summoning demons. I don't believe a word of it, but the medicinal uses are known. Handled incorrectly it can produce difficulty breathing and even heart attack, correct?"

He pauses. "Beautiful, and dangerous."

"What I think Yana is trying to say is that we all feel a certain measure of responsibility for what happened. I'm sure if she could tell us herself, Arlandria would agree. The situation we suddenly found ourselves in was dangerous, fast moving and not at all clear. There were no right decisions, and what scant choices we had needed to be made without the luxury of time to think them through."

"A few things are clear to me now, though. First, the man who pulled the fatal bowstring bears ultimate responsibility, and he is dead as well. Second, Arlandria herself took on the task of protecting both Alleborg and her comrades, and she died defending us. Perhaps those two things are enough to convince us to lay down the burden, and walk on."

He picks up his spoon and continues to eat, eyes cast down in thought.

That is correct, yes? The bowman died from Korok's spear? I'll change the story if I've gotten that backwards.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

The tension fades quickly, Eduard's reassuring words a comfort to the grieving family. Hellebore mulls them as she stirs her stew with a spoon. "It is done, then. I would thank her avenger. The woods are no place for the inexperienced and confusion often reigns supreme... You honor my sister and she was right to aid you, though I told her it was folly. I will repay your kindness and her memory by aiding you as well. If nothing else, perhaps I can bring understanding to the wood."

Yep, I think you have it right.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde grins broadly at the offered stew, and his usual table manners (that being NONE) take stage. During his scarfage, the conversation turns to blame, and he halts eating to closely follow, and add his input as necessary, long bits of kelp hanging from between his teeth. Fortunately, Eduard's eloquence and honesty prevail, and the Half-Orc's meal continues.
I would thank her avenger.
That be Korok, Hyde offers between slurps. It was an amazing hit, just poked his javelin thru an arrow slot, and all that blood came gushing out! He giggles shortly at the recount, then realizes how inappropriate his words are at this time. He's... Like me, yeahh. Got Orc blood in him. He taps the bottom of his empty bowl awkwardly with his spoon. This stew be real good.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by AleBelly »

Darkness begins to fall as the Frogmortons learn the details of Arlandria's demise. Her sister volunteers to join the group on their next adventure. They ponder next steps. Those wishing to enter formal training realize they can make it back to town to start the next day.

Here's what I have based on stated actions:

Chet - training; should finish on the 30th
Yenny, Jaspar - training; should finish on the 1st
Eduard - heading back to train - will finish on the 28th
Yana - heading back to train - will finish on the 28th
Ilfrien - training, I think
Korok - heading back to train ??
Hyde - heading back to train??
Helebore - I'm assuming will wait for party to train

If you have the required gold (200 gp for 2nd level) to train, we can just fast forward to the date of your choosing. If not, you'll need to role-play it or do partial training. I'll post another update tonight based on the above unless I hear differently. The party can, until the 1st, hang out at the Frogmortons at no charge or stabling fee.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Zorroroaster »

Looks good to me.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#208 Post by Enoch »

I think I only have something like 37gp, so no training for me, unfortunately. I guess I'll stay out here until the 1st, just to save on housing.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by tkrexx »

Training is good for me.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Keehnelf »

Ilfrien will stay overnight and then head back to town for a couple of days of training--she is also somewhat short on cash.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Marullus »

(Ouch, so it is about 30gp/day for training? Huh. Damn copper-carrying Kobolds...)

Hellebore will agree to meet them at the forest's edge to the south, by the corroded gate, on the appropriate day. She will stay and bond with Yana until then.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Sorry for the absence guys, but I guess it doesn't matter since Korok went off to do training when they had first came back to town so he wasn't there to return Arlandria's body...

Korok... that loner...
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:Hellebore will agree to meet them at the forest's edge to the south, by the corroded gate, on the appropriate day. She will stay and bond with Yana until then.
AleBelly wrote: I'll fast forward everyone to the night of the 1st of the year in Guffy's tavern.
If someone agrees to the plan to meet on the morning of the 1st or 2nd at the corroded gate south of the city, please say so and she'll do so. If not, then I'll have to RP her coming to Guffy's. For the story, I'd like to do the former for this first expedition if it works.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Zorroroaster »

If we are going after Orc slavers, is the gate the best place to meet? If so, I'm cool with that.

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Korok is fine meeting the others at the gate for the next mission.
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Keehnelf »

I would prefer to be a bit more powerful, or in a larger group (I guess the rest of the folks might be around--we can confer with them at the tavern) if we're going to try something like that.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”