Law vs. Chaos - Battle for the Runestaff!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Law vs. Chaos - Battle for the Runestaff!

#21 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 13

Near the west door (A-16), Bjorn (B) the dwarf scoops up the Runestaff from his dead comrade Poltux (P) the fighter. The cleric looks to swing his mace again at the imp, but the little devil flies off west. Bjorn sees the imp go invisible again when it gets 60’ away.

Near the west column (L-20), Derwin (D) the evil elf and Ianin (I) the conjuror duel. The elf pants, blood flowing from his wounds. "In another life...we might be able to sit down...and have a glass of wine together...” he says to Ianin. “Too bad we have to kill each other over a thrice-damned staff!" The elf slashes at Ianin with his dagger but lacks the strength to hit. Ianin in turn darts his hand out to touch Derwin, but the evil elf finds the energy to dodge it.

Black-garbed Kondro (K) runs west to behind the south statue (S-20) of Sir Eryekose. He fires an arrow at Ianin (I), who is dueling with Derwin. The arrow slashes the Lawful magic-user’s right side! (3 HP)

Haraldr (Ha) the dark cleric,
welcoming sweet oblivion with Mother, forges ahead in his attack of the magically Held Flint (F) the illusionist. His skull-etched great mace is raised high and thuds down upon Flint (8 HP). Andover (A) the ranger presses his attack on Haraldr. Perhaps Mother is indeed watching over her special son, for the demoniac cleric parries Andover’s sword so forcefully it flies from the ranger’s hands! (Fumble)

“I killed you once I will do it again!” yells Idwillen (Id) the druid to the zombie Mjolnir (Mj). He slashes at the deep dwarf but its armor deflects the blade. Mjolnir grunts mindlessly and hacks again at Idwillen, but the druid blocks both blades with his spear.

“Shen, NO!” yells Honnilee (H) the hobbit, who can’t find it in her to attack her former friend. The zombie Shen the monk gives a simian shriek as he executes a Clenched Monkey Fist punch against Honnilee, rattling her head! (2 HP)
Honnilee bolts after the reptilian Haraldr to stop him from killing her friend Flint. As the hobbit retreats from Shen, the zombie mauls her again with a loping Kangaroo-style death kick! (3 HP) Honnilee staggers from the blow but recovers enough to slash at Haraldr, who is bludgeoning Flint’s head. The demoniac cleric hisses as he dodges the hobbit’s short sword. He brings down his huge mace again, caving Flint’s face in. (8 HP) The illusionist lies motionless.

Sulle (Su) the Granbretan science-sorcerer, atop the south balcony, runs east and reaches the east stairwell. He sprints down the stairs (ending at AA-26.)

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down or dead are Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress.

Actions for Round 14!

Map:
- Chaos wins initiative.
- Fellowship of Law members in blue, Chaos in red.
- Players actions, rolls and applicable notes are included in the private forums of each side. Lurkers who wish to have access just send me a PM.

Map Legend - 1 square=10', T=table, S=statue, F=fountain. If needed, exact locations can be stated by letter/number, for example the ziggurat top is at R-15.

Fellowship of Law – in blue
(A) Andover – ranger - half elf, chain, bow
(P) Poltux – fighter - half orc, javelin
(S) Shen – monk - bald, unarmored, spear
(B) Bjorn – cleric - dwarf, plate, mace
(I) Ianin – magic user - red-haired human in tunic with staff
(R) Raquinel – magic user - red-haired female in robes
(F) Flint – illusionist – male, robe, monocle
(H) Honnilee – thief - hobbit
(Id) Idwillen – druid - 6’7”, green robe, spear

Fellowship of Chaos – in red
(M) Markus – anti-paladin - plate armor, bastard sword
(Mj) Mjolnir – fighter - duergar, axes
(D) Derwin – elf MU/T
(Se) Sereniti – warlock - female, white robes
(Pe) Penuttler – magic user - yellow robe with Law sign
(Su) Sulle – magic user - clock mask, red robe
(Ha) Haraldr – cleric - scaly humanoid, mace
(G) Go-Sai – samurai - exotic banded armor, curved sword
(K) Kondro - black clad man

- Imp is purple
- Lady Myshella ghost is in green.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 14

In front of the west doors, Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric calls down divine healing on Poltux (P) the half-orc fighter. Nothing happens. The warrior-priest realizes that Poltux is dead by poison and cannot be healed.

Southeast of Bjorn, Ianin (I) the conjuror and Derwin (D) the evil elf face off. "Get out of here while you can...and leave me alone!" Derwin hisses. He backs up against the pillar on his right (M-20.)

"A truce then, for now,” answers Ianin. “It seems that the forces of Chaos do not only employ those of lesser reasoning... You should leave, it seems this cosmic battle of the fates will not be satisfied until we are all dead..." Ianin takes several steps back, still facing Derwin. After 20’ he turns and runs after Bjorn and the staff.

Black-cloaked Kondro (K) runs west from the statue of Sir Eyrkose to the column where Derwin is (M-20.) He sees Ianin sprinting northwest to join Bjorn. Kondro gets off one arrow that gashes Ianin’s right thigh! (3 HP) Ianin makes it to join Bjorn (at A-16), who has the Runestaff. Ianin is very heavily wounded.

“Idwillen, let's go! Andy can handle that creep, Ianin needs help and that sneaky-stalker is out there too!” yells Honnilee (H) the hobbit, who is heavily wounded.
She bolts northwest toward Ianin (I) the conjuror, who has just disengaged from Derwin (D) the evil elf and is running northwest toward Bjorn and the Runestaff. As she runs a mirror image of herself appears, mimicking the hobbit’s exact actions. Honnilee spots Kondro join Derwin at the column, so she swings wide west and takes cover behind another column (H-21.)

At the south balcony central stairs, Haraldr (Ha) the dark cleric swings his mighty mace at Andover (A) the ranger, who parries it with his sword, that he just scooped up.

The imp materializes
15’ above Andover the ranger. “Stop fighting, enough death, parley a truce,” it purrs, its suggestive voice weaving into the ranger’s mind. How reasonable and right the suggestion. Andover lowers his blade and motions to talk with Haraldr.

Thirty feet to the east, Idwillen (Id) the druid attacks the zombie Mjolnir (Mj) with his spear. The blade gashes the deep dwarf, carving out a chunk of the undead’s chest! (8 HP)
Mjolnir, heavily damaged, grunts and hacks again with its axes…
One blade slides down Idwillen’s left arm, leaving a long trail of blood! (6 HP) As Honnilee’s retreat leaves the slow Shen zombie alone, it turns and attacks nearby Idwillen. Shen swings wildly as the big druid sidesteps. Idwillen is very heavily wounded.

Sulle (Su) continues to run west to Raquinel’s prone body (V-26.) He picks up her wand and points it at Shen the zombie. The undead rises 20’ into the air.

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric.

Actions for Round 15!

Map:
- Chaos wins initiative.
- Players actions, rolls and applicable notes are included in the private forums of each side. Lurkers who wish to have access just send me a PM.

Map Legend - 1 square=10', T=table, S=statue, F=fountain. If needed, exact locations can be stated by letter/number, for example the ziggurat top is at R-15.

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T

- Imp is purple

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 15

Ianin (I) the conjuror and Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric, holding the Runestaff, bolt out the west doors (A-16) and are no longer in the room.

Further in the great ball room, Law and Chaos face each other near the west columns. Derwin (D) the evil elf waits with his back against the column, watching to see what the Fellowship of Law are going to do. He gives himself a quick check, stows his dagger, draws three darts, and volleys them at Honnilee (H) the hobbit as she jumps from behind her column to fire at Kondro. All three darts clatter against the column as the hobbit draws back.

Honnilee (H) the hobbit pokes her head out from behind the pillar quickly to see what Derwin and Kondro are concocting. She snaps out her sling and lobs a shot at the dark-clad Kondro. The stone bullet bounces off the stone column next to Kondro.

Idwillen (Id) the druid disengages with Mjolnir the dwarf zombie (who gives chase) and runs northwest (S21.) The druid then fire his sling at the imp.
The little devil is infernally spry and dodges Idwillen’s sling bullet. Mjolnir then catches up and hacks with one axe, but the druid sidesteps the duergar’s blade.

Closer to the south doors, Andover (A) the half-elf ranger feels compelled to negotiate with the demoniac cleric Haraldr. "Doesn't it seem odd that we're fighting over some old dead lady's staff?" Andover asks Haraldr. "Perhaps we can reach a truce, and neither of us would have to die. What if we destroy the staff?"

Haraldr pauses as he listens to Andover. The scaled priest says: "We are killing each other and neither group will be strong enough to leave this place, Runestaff or no Runestaff."

Andover catches sight of the imp flying at him from behind and leaps to the side, avoiding its deadly sting.

Sulle (Su) the Granbretan sorcercer points his wand at Andover. The ranger feels a force lifting him but overcomes it. Behind the column, Kondro steps back and turns south. He fires two arrows at Sulle. Both arrows miss.

Hovering in the air, Shen the monk zombie drops back down to the floor (8 HP damage.) The undead is very heavily wounded from the fall. Its spine is cracked, the head lolls about, one leg is broken. It staggers after Idwillen but is too slow to reach him just yet.

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric.

Actions for Round 16!

Map:
- Initiative is tied. Simultaneous actions

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T

- Imp is purple

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 16

The Fellowships of Law and Chaos both fight and negotiate, as Bjorn the dwarf cleric escapes the room bearing the Runestaff.

Andover (A) the ranger, almost ambushed by the imp, turns and attacks the devilish creature.
His longsword slashes but the little monster is too quick and avoids the blade. It swoops down again to sting the half-elf with its tail, but Andover lithely weaves away from it.

Haraldr (Ha) the dark cleric continues to talk with Andover as the ranger fights the imp: “I agree, this madness must end. If you go to your ally-“ he motions to Idwillen – “and convince him to stop fighting I will do the same with my allies. Perhaps we all can leave this place alive.”

Idwillen (Id) the druid, heavily wounded, retreats from the zombies and runs to the northwest corner of the ziggurat (at T-11.) The undead Shen and Mjolnir, being zombies, are too slow to gain an attack of opportunity on the retreating druid. They both give chase but don’t catch up to Idwellin (ending at V-16.)

Derwin and Kondro are in whispered conversation behind their column. Kondro turns his bow back upon Honnilee (H) the hobbit and fires two arrows. She is behind cover of the column (H-20) and both of Kondro’s arrows miss.
Meanwhile, Honnilee moves a little south to gain a view of Haraldr the demoniac cleric. She twirls a stone with her sling and lets loose. The stone flies true and strikes the reptilian cleric hard in the shoulder! (4 HP)

"Hey! Halfling! Make a run for the door," yells Derwin the evil elf. "You have my word we won't fire. We want to get out of here as bad as you do."

Sulle (Su) the sorcercer moves to behind the south balcony central stairs (S-26), using them as a cover. He points the wand east. The prone body of Raquinel the sorceress lifts up into the air and streaks west across the room to hit Kondro but instead collides with the column he ducks behind. Raquinel's prone body thumps against the column hard (3 HP), then drops to the floor motionless.

Actions for Round 17!

Map:
- Initiative is tied. Simultaneous actions
- Fellowship of Law members are in blue, Chaos in red.

Regarding maps: I am away from my PC until Tuesday, so I don't have an up-to-date map. But positions haven't changed all that much. See the post for character location coordinates. I am including last round's map for reference.

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T

- Imp is purple

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 17
Inside the ballroom, the battle rages. Attempts at negotiation between certain members of Law and Chaos fail as words of peace ring hollow in light of attacks between other members.

Haraldr (Ha) the demoniac cleric glares furiously and snarls words of power, laying hands on himself. He then orders the two zombies to attack Andover (A) the ranger, while Haraldr moves north behind the statue of Sir Erykose (at R-20) As he runs the cleric yells: “Sulle my pact with you still stands, together we can escape this place!”

“The mage has betrayed us, demon. He wants you dead,” utters black-garbed Kondro (K), who fires two arrows at Sulle (Su) the sorcerer who hides behind the south balcony central stairs (S-26). One arrow grazes the mage’s right shoulder (3 HP.)

Derwin (D) the evil elf makes a dash for the next column (H-21) which hides Honnilee (H) the hobbit. Quickly he wheels around the column, confronts two Honnilees, and slashes at the true halfling! The blade grazes her chest (2 HP.)

The demonic imp dive-bombs Andover again, but the half-elf ranger rolls right and avoids the deadly tail. He reverses his stance and swings mightily with both hands, cutting the small devil in twain! (Critical.)
”You want me to leave?” shouts Honnilee (H) the hobbit back to Derwin, as she takes aim with her sling at Kondro (K.) Then the duplicitous Derwin jumps and slices her with his dagger. Honnilee’s sling shot at Kondro misfires.

Keeping ahead of the zombies, Idwillen (Id) the druid sprints north to behind the statue of Lady Myshella, the Silver Princess (at S-7.) He turns to fire his sling but sees that the zombies have broken off pursuit and are not in Idwillen’s sight.

Sulle (Su) the Granbretan sorcerer recoils from Kondro’s arrow. He waves his wand at the dead Penuttler (Pe.) The madgician’s dead body lifts into the air and flies across the room at Kondro (K.) The black-cloaked one sees it coming and dodges. Penuttler’s body now rests in front of the column (M-21) near Kondro.

Sulle then yells: “Do not run! Do not parlay! They will pursue us until every one of us is dead! There is only one way out of this! Kill them all to the last man!”

The zombies of Shen the monk and Mjolnir the duergar shamble towards Andover the ranger. They are 20’ away from him (at S-23.)

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric, who ran from the room out of the west doors with Ianin (I) the conjuror.

Actions for Round 18!
Map:
- Chaos wins initiative.

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 18

"I don't wish to die here," Derwin (D) the evil elf tells the Honnilee (H) the hobbit. [/dialog]"But if you load another bullet in that sling or come at me with a blade, I'm going to do my damnedest to kill you or die trying. Run and don't look back...while you still can...last chance."[/dialog]

”Deceiver!” Honnilee shouts as her blade slips from her scabbard. “You, I might have trusted before, since Ianin came to an understanding with you, but that squirrelly Kondro I don't trust. And you tell me to leave and attack in the same breath? Trust is gone, and I doubt you can kill me, Elf!”

Derwin slashes with his dagger. Honnilee parries and slides her blade into the evil elf’s chest! (4 HP) Derwin gasps and slumps to the floor unmoving.

Black-garbed Kondro (K) leans out from behind his column (at L-20) to fire arrows at Sulle (Su) the sorcerer, who is under the south balcony central stairs. His first arrow hits the stairs. As Kondro is loading his second arrow he feels himself lifted into the air 20’. The sudden movement shifts his hood, revealing a half-orc face! Floating but grimly determined, Kondro still fires his second arrow. Despite being off-balance and having a partially covered target, his arrow flies true and strikes Sulle! (4 HP)
Haraldr (Ha) the demoniac cleric breaks from behind the statue of Sir Erykose (R-20) to go to the aid of Derwin. Andover (A) the ranger bolts northwest in pursuit of Haraldr. As Haraldr reaches the next column (M-20) where Kondro is, Andover is upon him. The ranger hews at the cleric with his sword as Haraldr swings his skull-etched mace. Haraldr’s mace clangs against Andover’s sword, which continues on to bite deep into the scaled priest’s chest! (14 HP) Haraldr falls to the ground unmoving.

The zombies Shen the monk and Mjolnir the duergar reach the battling Andover and try to maul the ranger. Shen rakes the ranger’s back (3 HP), while Mjolnir’s twin axes are parried by Andover.

Idwillen (Id) the druid runs from his position behind the north status of Lady Myshella (S-8) to the southeast corner of the ziggurat (V-17.)

“Hey Ranger!” yells Sulle the sorcerer from behind the south balcony central stairs. “Where are your comrades that left the room? What manner of COWARDS would simply leave their fellow party members to die while they make a convenient escape? We must stay and take these evil bastards down here and now!”

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Derwin (D) the elf, Haraldr (Ha) the cleric, Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric, who ran from the room.

Actions for Round 19!

Map:
- Initiative tied, simultaneous actions.

(Mj) Zombie Mjolnir – fighter - duergar, axes
(D) Derwin – elf MU/T
(K) Kondro – half-orc fighter/assassin
(S) Zombie Shen – monk - bald, unarmored, spear. Previously of the Fellowship of Law

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 19

Black-garbed Kondro (K) the half-orc levitates 20’. Idwillen (Id) the druid fires his sling. The aim seems true but the stone misses Kondro by about a foot-and-a-half to the right. Then Kondro suddenly plummets painfully to the floor (8 HP damage.)

Sulle (Su) the sorcerer runs to Sereniti’s body, searches her hands, and takes something. Kondro staggers up, very heavily wounded, but relentless in his drive. He raises his bow at Sulle. The half-orc’s arrow streaks and plants itself three-quarters deep into the Granbretan’s chest! (critical for 12 HP) Sulle flies back a few feet from the impact and thuds to the floor unmoving.

Honnilee (H) the wounded hobbit turns away from the dispatched Derwin and slashes her sword at the damaged zombie Shen. She hacks deep into its left hip and the undead monk topples to the floor dead again! (4 HP) Andover (A) the ranger pivots and hews at Mjolnir the zombie duergar. He slices its left arm off at the shoulder! (11 HP) Mjolnir grunts mindlessly and swings his right hand axe, but is parried by the ranger.

Kondro fires his second arrow, which finds its mark in the prone Sulle’s shoulder. (3 HP) Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Sulle (Su) the sorcerer, Derwin (D) the elf, Haraldr (Ha) the cleric, Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric, who ran from the room.

Actions for Round 20!

Map:
- Law wins initiative.

Map not Needed. All positions essentially the same.

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T
(S) Zombie Shen – monk - bald, unarmored, spear. Previously of the Fellowship of Law

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Grognardsw »

Battle for the Runestaff! - Round 20

Kondro (K) the lone survivor of the Fellowship of Chaos runs with a limp toward the south doors.

Idwillen (Id) the druid slings another stone at the fleeing half-orc. It falls short. Honnilee (H) the hobbit unleashes her own sling stone. It arcs through the air and misses as Kondro weaves.

Andover (A) the half-elf ranger slashes again at the zombie duergar. The long sword sinks deep into Mjolnir's (Mj) throat. It gurgles and collapses.

Kondro runs out of the ballroom through the south doors.

Adventurers who appear unconscious, down and/or dead are Sulle (Su) the sorcerer, Derwin (D) the elf, Haraldr (Ha) the cleric, Markus (M) the anti-paladin, Sereniti (Se) the warlock, Go-Sai (G) the samurai, Penuttler (Pe) the madgician, Poltux (P) the fighter, Flint (F) the illusionist and Raquinel (R) the sorceress. The Runestaff is held by the Fellowship of Law’s Bjorn (B) the dwarf cleric, who ran from the room.

Actions for Round 21!

Map:
- Chaos wins initiative.

Note: "K" is not in the room. All other positions the same.

(D) Derwin – elf MU/T

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Grognardsw »

The Battle for the Runestaff has left the grand ballroom of Lady Myshella, the Silver Princess. Black-cloaked Kondro the half-orc, lone survivor of the Fellowship of Chaos, escaped. The story continues in the private forums and will be periodically summarized here. Those wishing to lurk in the private forums please PM me. Thanks.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Grognardsw »

As if disgorged from a hellish beast that has had its fill, Kondro climbs out of the Palace of the Silver Princess. 

The sun is setting, spreading red and pink hues across the horizon. It only reminds Kondro of spilled blood. The scourge looks about for the horses, not really expecting to find them. He finds a few of their bodies, broken and bloodied by what must have been a fierce beast.

Kondro yet lives, a private victory only he will ever know. Londra, the Granbretan Empire, rewards unimaginable - these are dreams now. He can never return. Keeping to the shadows, he starts the long trek to a better place. 

And so it came to pass that the Fellowship of Law retrieved the powerful artifact known as the Runestaff. The adventurers mourned the loss of their comrades. They left the nightmarish Palace of the Silver Princess and returned to Castle Brass. The Wizards of the Alliance for Law tapped the power of the Runestaff to turn the tide of the War. The Cosmic Balance was restored and peace, for a time, reigned in the Realms.

Well it has come to an end, after more than 5,600 posts between Law and Chaos. The quest is concluded. Thanks to all for playing, I hope it's been fun and different for you. Congratulations to all for playing the characters well. The group-vs-group dynamic is a first on these boards. I hope you enjoyed the pictorial nature and mix of unusual challenges. These keep my own interest. As a DM I enjoyed the different perspectives on the same adventure. It quickly evolved into a homebrew version of the Palace of the Silver Princess module, but I used some of the maps, rooms, and general inspiration. A Google search of the module title will lead to discussion of the product recall and "controversial" art, which today seems a tempest in a teapot. I've opened up private forum access for all players so you can read the other side - you may find it interesting to see where each group entered, what they saw, their rolls, how they got to the ultimate battle, and their actions and strategies in the Final Battle. The Fellowship of Chaos, for example, entered by the dungeon level. In the original recruitment thread I mentioned a follow-on campaign of mass combat - the armies of Law vs. Chaos - using Spells and Swords the old OD&D miniature combat rules. But I don't have it in me at the moment. If there are any questions about aspects of the adventure, plot hooks, items or rooms, feel free to ask. Sulle's alignment was changed to good from the Wheel of Balance; Ogre Mage role played him to that. Raquinel was a spy from the beginning. Thanks again and hope we have occasion to roll the dice together in the future.

Return to “War is Hell - Palace of the Silver Princess”