Agrom Alone I

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Agrom Alone I

#101 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom shakes the kobold roughly.

What do you know about this room, and the one beyond it?

He strongly suspects that these statues have animated recently.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Keehnelf »

In between his sobs, the kobold, still mostly in a heap on the ground, seems to be muttering "the bale, the bale..." Over and over.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will make the kobold walk ahead of him past the statues into the next room. He'll give him some extra rope this time though, so that he can follow behind about 10 feet distant.

What do you mean, 'the bale'?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Keehnelf »

As the kobold begins walking forward at Agrom's urging with a bit of extra rope, he half-turns to whisper "The darkness--misery!" and he stumbles over a loose bit of stone just before reaching the statues. Lying face-first on his knees, he half-sobs, half-mutters for a moment before he is able to gather himself and continue toward the passage. When he reaches the tunnel, he turns all the way and says "Death is waiting here!" As if to punctuate his words, a horrible sound of thrashing water and screaming issues from the tunnel behind him, causing him to throw himself against the wall of the passage in fear. He remains there, trembling.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by sulldawga »

I thought we were heading toward the yelling. Now it's behind us? My bad. Read it wrong. Move along, nothing to see here.

Agrom will pull the kobold up and hustle toward the tunnel.

C'mon now, buck up. The Pilgrim will protect us. Plus, if you ever want to see that necklace, it's down here.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Keehnelf »

As Agrom passes between the statues, he notices a moment too late that the kobold has turned away from the wall to watch the warrior's progress with a clever glint in his beady little eye. At that second, the upraised arms of the statues swing out to strike Agrom with alarming swiftness, and the kobold starts to haul on the rope to throw Agrom off-balance. Thankfully Agrom let out enough slack that the little creature is merely gathering it up while Agrom navigates the trap.

Health Ob2 base to avoid being slapped silly.

So that's 5D for Agrom's base Health, -1D for sick, and +1 Ob for Exhausted. So 4D vs. Ob3.

Shout if you have anything else to add to that.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by sulldawga »

Do I have anything else to add? Yeah, I do. That kobold is going to be alligator food in about 30 seconds. I just need to duck first.

Ouch. I have somehow offended the Pilgrim.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Keehnelf »

Agrom sees the flailing arms coming just a bit too late and crouches into a defensive position by instinct, raising his shield up to protect his vulnerable head from assault.

The thrashing stone arm connects forcibly with the shield, splintering it instantly and sending a numbing shock up Agrom's arm--the scraps of it hang limply from his arm, which hangs limply from his side, as he rolls forward into the hall to get clear of the statues' further attacks.

Clear of the trap, he finds the kobold rushing away down the dark hall. He comes up short as the feeling returns to Agrom's arm and he hauls the rope taut.

Because I didn't update this thread when Turn 15 hit, I'm not going to count the turn of torchlight used up by that activity in the other thread since it would unfairly disadvantage you based on my oversight.

---
Party Status: - Turn 16
Agrom, Exhausted and Sick, with Sword and Torch (1 Turn remains) in Hand (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by sulldawga »

Is the kobold rushing toward the noise or away from it?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Keehnelf »

Toward.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by sulldawga »

Turns are how long? I want to know when it looks like Agrom's current torch is almost gutted, so he can pull out his last one and light it off the existing one.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Keehnelf »

If you are prepared to do that, I'll make sure you get to transition the fire over unless you're otherwise occupied with something dangerous that prevents it when the time comes.

Turns are one check or conflict apiece--so they could roll over anytime.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom reels in the kobold and gets right in his face.

Do that again and I'm going to find whatever's scaring you downstairs and feed you to it one limb at a time.

He pushes the kobold back into the corridor toward the yelling and screaming.

Ok, scaly, let's try this again.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by sulldawga »

Keehnelf wrote:If you are prepared to do that, I'll make sure you get to transition the fire over unless you're otherwise occupied with something dangerous that prevents it when the time comes.
Deal.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Keehnelf »

I need to hold off until we get Raizenbrayne's roll before you take any more actions, but let me just lay the movement out thus:

Agrom and the kobold step out from the passageway on to a rough-hewn ledge about six feet square that overlooks a large flooded chamber. Directly ahead, a two foot wide stone span with no rails arcs outward and down toward another, larger ledge on the far side of the room. Standing near the left side of that platform is a ghostly bluish-white figure, a tall man in heavy plate armor with a long shield held before him. He wears no helmet and a broad, square beard obscures much of his gruff features. He is looking down from his perch toward the source of the commotion, Agrom's two companions thrashing through the water atop a collapsing frame of broken wood while a huge, black, scaly monstrous beast attempts to rend the whole collection asunder with its wide fanged jaws.

The scene playing out before him is a long distance away, either by foot or as the crow flies--a twenty foot walk across a narrow bridge and then down a narrow set of steps, or a quick plunge twenty or more feet down into water of uncertain depth and contents...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom whispers to the kobold, Who's that?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Keehnelf »

The kobold assumes you're talking about the spectral figure.

"Ghost." is all the sullen creature manages.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Keehnelf »

12 Brightmorn, 814 - Turn 17 - Atop a Narrow Bridge

Agrom watches helplessly as the little raft below shatters under the ongoing assault of the monstrous reptile. It appears as though both of his companions have reached the doorstep of safety, however, at the bottom of the stairs. So long as the ghost above is not hostile.

He lights his last remaining torch with the guttering remains of the one in his hand and uselessly tosses the stub into the water in the faint hope of injuring the beast. He sees Harlan's candle below die out, drowned in black water, so all that remains in the rest of the chamber is the light being shed by the ghost.

---
Party Status:
Agrom, Hungry & Thirsty, Exhausted and Sick, with Sword and Torch (2 Turns remain) in Hand (2 Checks)
Kobold, Captive

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by sulldawga »

Agrom will walk out onto the bridge, kobold first, and then push the kobold into the water. Then he'll head down to see if he can help fish his friends out of the water.

I'm gonna miss that rope.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Keehnelf »

With no pack and no kobold--who dies thrashing and screaming in the dark frothing water--the bridge is no major obstacle. Agrom is now reunited with his party and I'll close this thread and update the other in a bit.

Return to “A Flickering Light (Torchbearer)”