The Sheriff's Surprise

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

The Sheriff's Surprise

#1 Post by acererak »

The driving rain subsided, leaving behind a drizzle and a chill in its wake. The comfort of a blazing fire was forgotten now, replaced by the weariness of a mud churned road. This winding path rose a little as it approached the sherrif's abode. A hammering sound grew louder, somewhere nearby a smith was a working, the steady sound providing a tempo to the walk. Jarus led the way, his beaten scabbard slapping his thigh, his helm still under his left arm. Now the sherrif's home came in sight. A worthy size by town standards. A strange lantern stood flickering on a pole outside, it was enclosed with green glass. It was evident that a wagon had been driven up to the front of the sherrif's house recently, fresh wheel marks led almost to the door.

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Sherrif's Surprise

#2 Post by acererak »

Jarus opens the door to the Sherrif's home. Beyond the door is a modest sitting room with several chairs. A fire place on the west wall contains dying coals. A tall man clad in a leather jerkin with green breeches stands in the room. His long black hair is fashioned into a ponytail. At his feet is a large blanket. There is something beneath the blanket that appears roughly a man's height.The man motions for Jarus to shut the door behind you and then addresses you: Thank you for answering my call. This is the point where you can turn back and leave my home with no questions; with no consequences. Or you can hear what I am about to say and be sworn to secrecy until the matter is resolved. If you choose to hear what I say you must say nothing to anyone even if you decide not to accept my offer of retainer.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Caby nods her head and moves to stand by the dying fire, making room for the others to enter and warming her backside at the same time.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by Xaxyx »

Boldus, intrigued by what he presumes is about to be a fascinating story, merely nods, wild-eyed, at the sheriff and waits for him to continue.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Caby nods her head and moves to stand by the dying fire, making room for the others to enter and warming her backside at the same time.
Eugene follows Caby into the room. He attempts to remain inconspicuous as he settles into one of the available chairs and begins to survey the room. "No harm in seeing about those 'other opportunities' just in case" he thinks. He spies the sheriff and fights off his natural impulses. "No acquiring from the sheriff." he reminds himself.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Distorted Humor »

Atticus Keeps a strong eye out and about, but just listens.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by saalaria »

Kytan folds his arms under his cloak and bows his head, with his hood up to avoid revealing too much of his disfigurement. He listens keenly, eager to be started on a quest.

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by acererak »

The sheriff pauses for dramatic effect, then quickly pulls the blanket off the object on the floor. Beneath the blanket is a metal statue of a man! But something seems wrong with this statue. The figure's face is twisted in a gruesome expression of pain, his wide open mouth depicting someone screaming in horror. The statue's hands are clenched in fists at its side. The statue portrays an acolyte of the Iron God clad in mendicant robes.

You are all new to Vartis, so perhaps you are unaware of the Island of the Dead as it is called. For as long as anyone can remember the priests of the Iron God have received the dead on their island. Theirs was the job of consecrating the bodies and burying them. The island was a place all its own, the priests lived there and had their temple there. Those of us from Vartis and the surrounding areas only saw them when someone we knew had passed. We would row to the island's shore and a ring a bell, the holy ones would descend the long stairs.
Last night there was a storm, a terrible lightning storm. A man known to me, a fisherman, set out this morning as he does everyday. He found a strange boat by the close shore. This statue was in the boat. And the storm? The fisherman said he saw smoke coming from the island. He also said that the lightning had struck down EVERY BUILDING ON THE ISLAND. Folks around here are going to figure out the buildings have been razed. There's no avoiding that. But this statue, they don't know about it. I am afraid something is at work here. Would any of you be willing to investigate? The people of this area will be in a panic soon. Who will recive their dead? What of the sanctity of those that are already buried there?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

acererak wrote:Beneath the blanket is a metal statue of a man! But something seems wrong with this statue. The figure's face is twisted in a gruesome expression of pain, his wide open mouth depicting someone screaming in horror.
"Poor bastard." Eugene thinks to himself.
acererak wrote:But this statue, they don't know about it. I am afraid something is at work here. Would any of you be willing to investigate?
Eugene maintains a consistent, unimpressed look; though, with some effort as the sheriff's story has definitely piqued his interest. "Best not to appear over eager." he thinks to himself. He looks to the sheriff, "Umm... no offense, but placing myself at risk of turning into a statue didn't make my to-do list of things to do today. What's in it for us?"
-- Project --
-- DM --

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by saalaria »

Kytan ponders the sheriffs words - confused. It sounds like a test from Emrys - helping holy men. But of the Iron God? It is not his place to question his God's plan but Kytan is surprised in the form it is taking. Perhaps more will be revealed as it unfolds...
"I will go to the island" he says quietly.
"It would appear odd that their God would desert them in their time of need but perhaps there is a great evil at work here." His voice grows louder as he realises this is exactly the challenge he needs to face. Kytan is confident he is on the right path

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Distorted Humor »

Atticus nods, "Yes, I will go, the light may need to clean evil that is located at that place."

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Xaxyx »

Stepping slowly toward the metal statue, Boldus reaches forth with one hand, and raps the figure on the forehead several times with the knuckles of his fist. "Well then! I must say, this is a new experience -- even for me!" he exclaims. "But I am Boldus, and I never back down from a challenge! Let us sally forth, and rid this island of whatever cursed taint has befallen it!"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by Alethan »

Caby simply nods her head and says, "I'm in."

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by acererak »

The sheriff nods: I admire your resolve and I feel you will soon get to test your mettle. As for you The sherrif glances at Eugene: There is still the matter of those missing candlesticks from Sir Acklebury's residence in Westhold. I would love to consider that investigation closed. Never did find the blackguard who took those things....Mmmmm... In addition I am prepared to offer a retainer of three gold crowns each per day with additional coin provided based on expenses and dangers encountered. What say you?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

acererak wrote:The sherrif glances at Eugene: There is still the matter of those missing candlesticks from Sir Acklebury's residence in Westhold. I would love to consider that investigation closed.
"You still haven't found the person -- or persons -- responsible for that? I'd have thought, for sure by now, you would have." Eugene states innocently.

"Hmmm..." he pauses for a moment in contemplation. "For three gold crowns plus expenses per day... I suppose I'll be in, too."
-- Project --
-- DM --

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by acererak »

The sheriff seems pleased with your collective pledge of assistance. Excellent. I'll have two rowboats made ready for you and my men will convey you by horseback to the shore.

We are ready to proceed to the island unless anyone has anything they need to do or any items they want to procure.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ready here.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Eugene quips: "I'm ready when the rest of you are. Although, I'd prefer a steady horse so please don't stick me with some nag."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by Alethan »

Caby nudges Eugene with her elbow and says, "boats... we're taking boats." One can't tell if the look of apprehension on her face is for the mission at hand or just simply a fear of water.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Eugene exaggeratedly rubs just above his knee where Caby nudged him. "You mean, only the sheriffs men are taking horses to the shore? We have to follow them on foot?! Well that's just great!" Eugene sighs.

A beat later, "Ah, c'mon, I'm mostly just teasing. But do keep your eyes down to avoid stepping in any droppings."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tomb of the Iron God”