Assignment One: Bug Hunt

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Assignment One: Bug Hunt

#41 Post by tooleychris »

"That's where yer a headed?" the guard motions his head to the path Varrick pointed out earlier. "I'm thinkin there's been a couple take that path already. Ain't all explored and done? Can't say I've seen no action outta dem woods. 'Course nothin gets too close ta the walls no more."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by MonkeyWrench »

After seeing Malfiacs worried look Varrick walks over and lightly pushes his shoulder, "Ya don' gotta be too scared yeh? Ya ain't walkin 'round naked in tha woods wit honey slathed on ya. You got frends ta watch ya back and ya also got 'ol Varrick 'ere wit ya! ya can beleve a' let ya know when we be runnin yeh? 'Sides, bugs only big as a' dog..."

Varrick turns to the Guard, "Yeh? Ya know who takin 'is way? Only group a' known is my own an' we left that place days ago."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Blazeguard »

"Bah! I don't need your pity!" Thorgrim spits in the dirt, "I ain't never seen anything yet that my axe here couldn't handle." He pats it affectionately. "I'm a lookin' forward to lettin' it loose again."

He stops and peers past the guard, "What's takin' the rest of them so long?" he mutters.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by tooleychris »

RAVEN to Rafo

"15 silver for the salve, master dwarf. Do we have a deal?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by tooleychris »

as Long as we're waiting, did anyone else need supplies?

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Rafo, Midway, Raven's tent***

"Sorry, but I can not afford to spend all my coinage on such little return. But, I tell you this. I am headed toward the ruins and supposedly there are large bugs there that need killen. If you need any supplies, from that are, I will gather them and sell them to you for fair price. That way we can both make out of the hunt. What you say?"

Walking away from Raven, hoping she returns his request before out of earshot, Rafo heads toward the gates to meet up with his fellow adventures.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by tooleychris »

MrHemlocks wrote:***Rafo, Midway, Raven's tent***

"Sorry, but I can not afford to spend all my coinage on such little return. But, I tell you this. I am headed toward the ruins and supposedly there are large bugs there that need killen. If you need any supplies, from that are, I will gather them and sell them to you for fair price. That way we can both make out of the hunt. What you say?"

Walking away from Raven, hoping she returns his request before out of earshot, Rafo heads toward the gates to meet up with his fellow adventures.
"Samuel." she calls out to Rafo, and immediately regrets it, looking around to see who heard.
She approaches Rafo. "Samuel, the traveling wine merchant." she says pointing across the market to a man at a wagon full of kegs. "He might be interested in poisons from bugs." she whispers. "As for me...If you happen to find any potion recipes... I will pay you twice what others would. If they are unknown. And will give you half the value of any potions or powders you may find." she nods her head and returns to her booth.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Rafo, Midway***

Not stopping to talk he replies to Raven's words;"I will do what I can. I will try to gather some useful material for the both of you."Reaching the gate, and seeing the others there, Rafo exhales deeply..."I am ready!"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by tooleychris »

The group leaves the protective comforts of Midway and make their way into the jungle along the path that Varrick pointed out earlier.
The going is rough as the ground is damp from intermediate rain and choked with vegetation. However, a path that was cut by Varricks earlier group can be readily followed.

You run into various forms of wildlife along the way. The jungles are indeed very alive with sounds.
Some you easily dispatch...

The sun begins to set behind the dense trees and you make your first nights camp. The heat of the tropics subsides a bit but is replaced with high humidity. Some of you sleep well enough despite the sounds of the jungle all around you, some are bitten by an endless supply of mosquitoes that make sleep more difficult.
A late morning start finds you eating half a days rations, gathering your gear and pushing on.
The second day is no easier than the first. A light rain cools the skin, but also brings more wildlife closer to your path.
Most stay well off your trail and out of the way...

and quickly disappear into the jungle as you approach. Hours pass as you trod on.
By sunset of the second night, you find a camp that Varrick and his previous group made and use it as well.
You eat the second half of the days rations (-1 ration), set watch, and try to get some rest for the coming day. Varrick says you are less than 3 or 4 hours from the ruin.

As the fire slowly turns to embers, a rattling can be heard in the brush near by, during Thorgrims watch. Rafo, who was just relieved, jumps to Thorgrims side as something rushes through the jungle toward the camp!
The trees seem to come to life as the two dwarves see something come into the light!

Actions and rolls! (please remember to include (DEX), the skill used % and either a parry or dodge roll as well.
Example: Thorgrim (8)
Thorgrim presses his attack on frog-thing #2, trying to finish him off.
Attack (73%): [1d100] = 55
Damage: Battle Axe damage: [1d8] = 2+[1d4] = 2
Dodge (65%): [1d100] = 83

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rukellian »

Does Malfiac wake up from the sounds of struggle? Does one of the dwarves shout when they spot the creature? If Malfiac wakes, he will stand up, draw his dagger (his armor still on), and wait and see what the creature does next.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by tooleychris »

malfiac and Varrick are sleeping and are not woken by jungle noises, unless the dwarves start shouting.

MrHemlocks
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by MrHemlocks »

***Rafo, Jungles of Heat***

"Get up men! We have trouble approaching!" Standing behind the fire, Rafo tosses his net at the creature hopping to entangle it and give the rest of the party a chance to react. From behind the camp fire he waits for it come within melee range.
Rafo(9)
Tosses his net and entangles creature...Base 56%, Roll[1d100] = 51
Dodge 45% or Parry...not sure how to figure out parry skill. Whichever is the greater he will use.

He stays behind the camp fire so if the creature closes in on him it will have to cross the flames first. Hopefully burning it)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Rukellian »

As the fire slowly turns to embers
not sure how much flame is left for that tactic, maybe singe the bottom of its feet, make it hesitate for a moment? :P

Malfiac will try to maneuver around the creature stealthily, once he is on his feet, and secure a position behind it. If he is spotted by the creature, during his attempt at sneaking, he will try to dodge any attacks that come his way.
Malfiac DEX 10

Stealth 10% [1d100] = 28
Dodge 88% dodge roll [1d100] = 87 Whew!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by Blazeguard »

If the net entangles the creature, Thorgrim will just dodge. If the creature manages to evade the net, Thorgrim will wade in with his axe swinging.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by tooleychris »

Need Caltus and Varricks actions to proceed.

Tomcat42
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Tomcat42 »

Caltus the mage (14) - Bug Hunt

Caltus moves quickly to the far side of the campfire, interposing it between himself and this creature.

No action this round. Will wait to see what transpires this round and jump in when he sees an opening next round. (Not everything that comes walking out of the woods needs to be attacked on sight, Caltus will naively reason)
Dodge, in case I need one Dodge (38) roll: [1d100] = 0

I don't think a 0 is possible - I can reroll this at home if needed (workplace might be interfering)
DM: "Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."
Fredrik: "I'm grabbing his pack to carry treasure in."

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Sorry guys, was sick all day yesterday

Varrick leaps up after hearing the dwarf shout and seeing this giant thing in their camp, "Well den, ain't dat thang a biggen Haha" He will draw his dagger and then head behind the tent out of the creatures view and quietly head into the forest area to flank the beast with Malfiac, he will not make any actions this round other than escaping notice of the creature

Sneak (10%): [1d100] = 69
Dodge (65%): [1d100] = 50
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by tooleychris »

Varrick and Mal manage to not-so-sneakily flank the hulk, but it still appears to not take any notice of them.
I need both of you to make a spot check

I'll assume Rafo has no problem with aiming at the creatures legs and go with that.

The net throwing dwarf manages to tangle the beasts legs, and it doesn't appear to even notice the net as it continues to march forward, tripping and causing the camp fire to spark back to life as it falls face first into the embers.
Swamp Beasts dex check:[1d100] = 92
Smoke pours from the singed greenery, but like the net, it doesn't seem to notice, even as it works to get back to its feet.

Since it is prone and preoccupied I will give everyone a +1/2 skill bonus on next skills used. Example: if Rafo spear % is normally 50, for this next round it is 75%

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Varrick looks at the creature as it slowly attempts to get up. He looks over to Mal, "Huh... this 'hole thang seem a bit weird yeh?" He continues to stay in cover, waiting to see exactly what the creature is trying to do.

Spot Check (26.5&): [1d100] = 77

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by Blazeguard »

I wasn't exactly sure how the net was going to work and didn't want to damage the net with my axe. If the net is just being used to trip the creature though and it is open to attack Thorgrim will go ahead and attack.

Return to “Silverymoon”