Dungeon, Dead End Door

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dungeon, Dead End Door

#1 Post by tooleychris »

Varrick grabs one of the standing torches by the atar and leads the way.
The stairs lead 25 steps down to a rough excavated tunnel that descends at a slight angle and disappears into the distance.
The dwarves can tell it is shoddy construction and must have been dug in a hurry. The flexible limestone walls are probably the only reason it hasn't collapsed.

Tyrion
Strider
Strider

Re: Dungeon

#2 Post by Tyrion »

Tyrion: Follows down the stairs making sure my weapons are easily accessible if needed. With the earth all around I feel in a much better mood, almost smiling. This is more like it lads.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm nodding "Eh well more like it if yah mean underground. Constructions terrible. Dwarf twould do better in buildin a place." he finishes the sentence with a wink to his two dwarf kin among the group.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Blazeguard »

Thorgrim looks around to see if he can see signs of recent activity or get a feel for how long ago this tunnel was dug.

Search (32%): [1d100] = 53

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by tooleychris »

While the tunnel is free of the dust covering the tomb above and a little more humid, Thorgrim cannot tell how old it might be. Examining the work closer, the dwarves can see tool marks on every surface. Nothing was smoothed out or made with any form of pride or craftsmanship.
The tunnel continues at a slight downward slope, and even this seems to have been rushed. The air becomes a little thinner the farther down you go. The dwarves automatically recognize this as not having air vents and little to no circulation, but with the door you left open, behind you, there's no chance of suffocation.
You walk, casually, for almost an hour with no end in site.
Varrick gives off another yawn and even Throm & Thorgrim are begining to feel their lack of sleep and food.
"Oy." says the human scrapper. "Yous noticin me pole torch'ere ain't run outta juice yet? What kinda fire be burnin ferever'n'all?"

GreyWolfVT

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm "Eh some sorcerers can make flame like that I'm ta thinkin'."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Tyrion
Strider
Strider

#7 Post by Tyrion »

I've seen no turnoffs or branches but further up this mountain there certainly be another entrance similar to the one we entered. 'Tis possible they interconnect or lead to a central chamber.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tooleychris »

"When ol 'Varrick takin dis'ere job he's told twas a new land. Ne'er been peoples a livin ' ere. Firstda tomb fulla skellies from days'goneby, den dis'ere dug tunnel. Now yous sayin derbe more ruin upda mount. So howsa body 'sposeta be thinkin we'z da first'uns 'ere? What's we gonnabe findin in dis'ere hill? Critters bein one thing but whata 'bout deez dead peeps? Dey might put boobie traps an uder gotchas in'ere. Might'n be infera world'a hurt." Varrick (npc) says.
"An what if'n der be peeps still 'ere? " he shakes his head. "I aint fer Killin so da duke can be a buildin his home'ere"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

Ruken tries to absorb everything Varrick just said.

Human Knowledge check 20% [1d100] = 83

And manages only to make out a few words here and there. ;) "The mage used to know what he was saying... miss him already." :lol:

Ruken then turns his attention towards the dwarves and asks them a quick question about the tunnel they are traveling in. "You three would know this better than I, I think. We came across some very big ants earlier, like big wolf-sized ones! Do you think they could have burrowed this tunnel? I'd hate to think we are walking straight into a hive full of those things..." The gnome takes a huge gulp while contemplating the thought.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Tyrion
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by Tyrion »

To be true ants show better craftsmanship then whoever built these.

GreyWolfVT

#11 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm "Ants aint gonna dig through stone Ruke. What are ya a daft? What do they teach ya gnomes any way?"

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by tooleychris »

The party walks and muses about who might have dug the cave. About an hour in you notice the humidity rising and the walls of the cave have perspiration in places.
You come to a sturdy stone door dead end. There is a lever against the right wall. The door has no handle and will not budge.
The lever is of iron and is very rusty. It is locked in place by the rust and its gearbox is enclosed in stone slabs .

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Dungeon, Dead End Door

#13 Post by Rukellian »

Ruken is both relieved and excited upon seeing the door and lever. No giant ants! The gnome furrows his brows at the rust and lever, crossing his arms as he thinks of how to go about this. "The mechanisms must be very rusty by now, given the humidity of the area. I'd take a torch to it, see if expanding the metals will help break some of the rust loose, but I think our strong armed companions here might be able to pull it loose just the same!"

After issuing the challenge to the his dwarven comrades, the gnome steps back and thinks on the idea of using his lantern oil, weighing the benefits and or consequences of potentially wasting it.

Idea Roll 90% [1d100] = 50

(Contests of strength anyone? ;) )
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by Blazeguard »

"Aye, some heat might give it the push it needs to break it loose. A couple splashes of oil would probably aid things as well. No need to waste a lot but a few drops strategically placed could do a lot."

Thorgrim will borrow Throm's hammer (if he agrees) and spend a few minutes tapping strategically around the lever and its base hoping that will help to jar things loose. He will apply some heat from a torch and then let it cool down slightly before dribbling some lamp oil into the gears/mechanisms (if possible). Once he is satisfied that he has done all he can to free the lever he rubs his hands together, firmly grips the lever, and pulls...

Strength (110%): [1d100] = 51

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rukellian »

After carefully taking note of the lever's condition, whilst recalling basic alchemical procedures, Ruken quickly warns the dwarf against using too much force on the contraption.

"We have no way of knowing the actual structural integrity of the machine and its components, not without removing some of the stone slab to take a look at the gearing; however, I believe that due to the effects of time and rust, the gearing and lever itself might be fragile enough to break with ease if we apply the wrong force. I've considered using oil as well for lubrication, but it wouldn't do nearly as well as using an acid then some sort of lubricant in that order. We could try the heating approach, but it may cause more damage then good I'm afraid..." The gnome's voice slowly tapers off into a self-mumbling as he realizes that what he is saying may not come across as helpful as he thought, given that the group is looking for ways of getting past the door, not for ways in which they can't.

"Just be careful. I'd hate to think that we'd have to spend days chiseling through a stone wall just because we broke our only way through a door."

Ruken examines the condition of the stone walling around him as the group determines and or does what it thinks is best in this situation. The gnome checks to see if there are any weak points in the walls that could be exploited if he indeed had to take his pick axe out and use it.

Not sure what roll would be most appropriate, so here are two that I thought came close:

Evaluate Check 24% [1d100] = 70
Search Check 46% [1d100] = 13

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm looks the contraption over scratching his head and beard as he thinks switching back and forth from head to beard as he continues to think.

Search (29%) [1d100] = 31
Evaluate 51% [1d100] = 79
Insight 20% [1d100] = 6

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by tooleychris »

Varrick(npc) speaks up. "Our new friend'ere says derbe anuder wayup yonder. Maybe dis'ere bein a back door? Maybe findin a way 'round or sumptinta work dis rust away?"
(man I miss MonkeyWrench)

Tyrion
Strider
Strider

#18 Post by Tyrion »

There be only one way to know if we need a plan B and that is if plan A fails. Lets give this thing a polish and a yank and see what happens.

As far as the other entrance the beast with several heads, one being a lion, one a dragon, that had murdered my previous companions was still guarding that door.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Blazeguard »

Feeling the lever flex and creak as he slowly applies pressure, Thorgrim lets up and turns to Ruken. "I do believe Ruken speaks true. I could feel the lever starting to give way but the gears seem to be rusted tighter than a wench's corset. If you could whip up some concoction to eat away some of that rust, I'm all for giving it a try."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rukellian »

"Then we will have to put this door aside for the time being. Early on during our exploration of the tomb, I found proof of alchemical intelligence in one of the crypt areas. One of the ancient peoples of this island has knowledge of the inner workings of my craft. He or she might have a laboratory somewhere nearby, and something inside to fix this problem of ours. The laboratory might also have some valuable items that we can sell to the towns if we are so inclined to loot it. I do not know where it is though... so uhh, guess we can find it along the way on our adventures?"

Ruken shows great interest in this idea and does not seem all that disappointed in having been stopped by these doors. He knows that the group can always come back to it later.

Return to “Silverymoon”