11. Beneath the Castle

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: 11. Beneath the Castle

#361 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

What if I were to take a different tactic? Instead of trying to save Castran, how about attempting to end the troubles here in Barovia? Would you have the power to turn Strahd into a human again, or to transport him to a different plane of existence were I to wish either of those things?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#362 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Good thinking Shinyah. If that is not within his power perhaps the power to giving us the key to defeating Strahd then perhaps?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#363 Post by Cwreando »

" Tis a tough choice. We could possibly be taken directly to Strahd possibly to defeat him if worded appropriately or to his place of rest might be to destroy it first then to strahd himself after that. The problem is we may not be strong enough to defeat him as we currently are?" Tis a great responsibility but be careful my friend.

"Yes send Strahd away perhaps to visit the middle of a large sunny pasture somewhere else."

"Ohama please guide his words", Lar prays softly.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Zhym »

"What you ask is within my power to grant," says Gene.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#365 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw - Holds Castran while the others try to help Shinyahfigure what to wish for. Lets not be foolish with your wishes my friend.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Scott308

#366 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

Gene, I wish Strahd, and only Strahd, would be sent to the surface of the sun.

Guys, I just want to throw a question out here. I don't know how things will turn out with the Wish, but want to know if it is ok with the rest of the players if the Wish works out as planned (hey, it could happen!) and the adventure ends abruptly. Even if it doesn't end the adventure but gets rid of Strahd, is that ok? I don't want to short anyone that wants to play through the full module, eventually tangling with Strahd. I would like everyone to PM Zhym and let him know one way or the other how you feel. I would prefer keeping it a secret ballot if you will so that nobody feels that they should vote one way or the other after seeing how others vote. Plus, we will not know whether the result of the Wish was what was going to happen or if it happened because of the voting. If necessary, I am happy to change the wish to keep Strahd around if that is what the group wants. I don't want to cheat anyone, so if even one person tells Zhym they want to run through the adventure as written, then that is what should be the overriding concern. This was kind of long-winded, but I just want to make sure nobody is unhappy if the adventure ends early (unless we get TPKed, then you can be unhappy).
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 9:15 PM
Weather: Fog

Shinyah makes his first wish. "Gene, I wish Strahd, and only Strahd, would be sent to the surface of the sun."

The djinn grins. "GRANTED."

Scarlett disappears.

"What is your second wish?" asks the djinn.

----
Status: Gragog (F6): 36/42; Lar (P4): 27/27; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): ??/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 29/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 11/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Phantom Armor (Bragar, from Castran): 5 pts
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 6.0 turns; CL coin (60', held by Shinyah); CL gem (60' Agax's staff)

GreyWolfVT

#368 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Did your wish just make Scarlett disappear? Or did she just wander off? Better yet was she Strahd this entire time?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#369 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

Oh! I...did not expect that to happen. You may be right, Gragog. Perhaps she was Strahd, or perhaps a descendant who carried his name. Or perhaps some unforseen twist I could have avoided with a different wording. We may never know unfortunately. Now I am hesitant to use the other wish for fear of something happening to another member of the party. I am open to suggestions. Feel free to ask Gene if something would be within his power, assuming anyone has any ideas.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Zhym »

"Now, now, Mr. Verdecahn," chides the djinn. "Only you are allowed to ask of my powers. You are, of course, free to seek your friends' advice, but I must remind you that time is a factor."

"Come now," he says with a sly smile. "What is it you desire? Riches? Power? Knowledge? A nubile and willing woman, perhaps—or several?" The djinn laughs. "The only limits are my power and your imagination."

"So what will it be?"

GreyWolfVT

#371 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "I know this may be silly but can you tell us how much of your time remains for our friend to make his last wish?" the brave warrior asks the djinn.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Zhym »

"Mere moments," answers the djinn.

I don't want this to drag out with everyone waiting on one person to act, so I'm going to give until tomorrow morning for a wish to be made (unless Scott308 doesn't log in tonight).

Scott308

#373 Post by Scott308 »

Shinyah, Druid

I wish there were no more vampires in Barovia. Do you have the power to grant this?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 9:30 PM
Weather: Fog

As time runs down on Shinyah's wish, he wishes all vampires out of Barovia.

The djinn smiles. "GRANTED."

Nothing seems to change, but at least no one disappears this time.

"It has been a genuine pleasure doing business with you," says the djinn with a bow. "But were I you, I might have wished not to have to draw any more cards. Goodbye, druid of Toharta." He vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Two cards remain to be drawn. Shinyah draws the first:
Knight.png
Knight.png (102.05 KiB) Viewed 230 times
The Knight. Nothing happens, at least not immediately.
He draws the third card:
Void.png
Void.png (75 KiB) Viewed 230 times
Disaster! Shinyah's consciousness is yanked from his body into a place far away.
Shinyah stands motionless and says nothing, a vacant expression in his eyes. The bears whine and begin to look restless. Hihu flies away.
Sorry, Scott308. Two people have drawn from the deck, two have drawn the Void.

We're down to Gragog, Lar, Bragar, Agax, Petyr, Bogdana, and, for the moment, the bears, as present and in control of their faculties. Anyone else want to draw?
----
Status: Gragog (F6): 36/42; Lar (P4): 27/27; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): ??/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 29/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 11/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Phantom Armor (Bragar, from Castran): 5 pts
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 6.0 turns; CL coin (60', held by Shinyah); CL gem (60' Agax's staff)

GreyWolfVT

#375 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Destroy those damned cards."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"How very interesting! Do you suppose Scarlett was possessed by Strahd? Or perhaps she was she his long lost descendant, carrying his name?"

Then he fell silent when Shinyah was destroyed.

Three gone. Three remaining.

The sorcerous gamesmith gazed at the deck. He knew the best way to "play" this game was to not play at all. And yet...

The deck was the purest symbol of games and of random chance. How could he possibly hope to resist?

With delight, Agax draws one card.

One card: [1d22] = 2

Sorry everyone. He IS a game mage after all.

Always love the efreet, Zhym!
:D
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by Zhym »

Agax resolves to draw one card. One card only:
Moon.png
Moon.png (123.96 KiB) Viewed 205 times
The moon!
A plume of mist appears in the spot the djinn occupied only a moment ago. When it clears, the djinn is back.

"Well, aren't you just the lucky pup?" he says with a laugh. "Kindly bear with me as I repeat the formalities."

"GREETINGS, GAMING MAGE!" he booms in a voice that once again seems to shake the foundations of the castle, if a bit more tired-sounding and rote than the last time. "YOU MAY—still—CALL ME GENE. I HAVE BEEN RETAINED...again...BY THE POWERS BEHIND THAT DECK TO PERFORM CERTAIN SERVICES IN CONNECTION WITH THE CARD YOU HAVE DRAWN. I AM OBLIGED TO INFORM YOU THAT MY DUTY IS TO THESE POWERS, NOT TO YOU, EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO FULFILL SAID SERVICES, WHICH I WILL SPECIFY MOMENTARILY."

"YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED"—the djinn looks at his hand, in which a note pad appears then disappears—"ONE WISH. I WILL GRANT THIS WISH IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO GRANT. WISHES BEYOND MY POWER TO GRANT ARE FORFEIT. WISHES NOT MADE IN THE NEXT TEN MINUTES ARE FORFEIT. WISHES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON-TRANSFERABLE. THE POWERS AND THEIR AGENT—TO WIT, MYSELF, HEREINAFTER INCORPORATED AS PART OF THE POWERS—EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT WILL THE POWERS BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT OR INDIRECT LOSSES OR INJURY RESULTING FROM YOUR WISH OR MY GRANTING OF THAT WISH, INCLUDING LOSSES RESULTING FROM NEGLIGENCE, GROSS NEGLIGENCE, OR INTENTIONAL ACTION. YOU AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE POWERS FROM ANY LOSSES. YOU FURTHER AGREE THAT ALL DISPUTES INVOLVING THESE SERVICES WILL BE ADJUDICATED IN BINDING PRIVATE ARBITRATION AT THE CITY OF CLOUDS ON THE PLANE OF AIR."

"NO WISH MAY BE USED TO REQUEST ADDITIONAL WISHES. ANY ATTEMPT TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN THE FORFEITURE OF ALL WISHES COVERED UNDER THIS TRANSACTION. OTHER THAN THE THE GRANTING OF THE STATED NUMBER OF WISHES, THE AGENT'S POWERS AND SERVICES ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO YOU EXCEPT AS FULFILLMENT OF A WISH AT A RATE OF ONE SERVICE PER WISH. YOU MAY ASK ME WHETHER A POTENTIAL WISH IS WITHIN MY POWER TO GRANT; I WILL ANSWER YOUR QUERY TRUTHFULLY. WISHES WILL BE GRANTED AS STATED IF UNAMBIGUOUS. AMBIGUITIES IN A WISH MAY BE RESOLVED AT THE DISCRETION OF THE AGENT, WHO HAS SOLE DISCRETION IN DETERMINING WHEN AN AMBIGUITY EXISTS. THE USE OF CONJUNCTIONS OR MULTIPLE CLAUSES IN A WISH MAY, AT THE AGENT'S SOLE DISCRETION, BE TREATED AS SEPARATE WISHES. IF SEVERANCE OF CLAUSES INTO MULTIPLE WISHES RESULTS IN MORE WISHES THAN YOU HAVE BEEN GRANTED, THE AGENT HAS SOLE DISCRETION IN WHICH WISHES TO GRANT."

"BY STATING A WISH, YOU INDICATE YOUR IRREVOCABLE AGREEMENT TO THESE TERMS."

The djinn relaxes, bends down close to Agax, presses a button on a device strapped to his wrist, and asks, "So. What is it you wish?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Dram »

Bragar - Looks confused as more of his comrades continue to draw cards. I guess we should all draw one card? Maybe one of us can get our friends back here.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#379 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog the half-orc slaps a hand to his faces sighs then utters "By the gods... I joined a party of fools... I guess as the saying goes... if you can't beat them join them..." the half-orc waits for the wishes to be granted then walks over and draws a card... reluctantly mind you then for some unknown compulsion he takes two cards...yes drawing 2 cards...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by Zhym »

Now we're having a party! Please roll 1d22 twice after Agax's with is complete.

Return to “Ravenloft”