11. Beneath the Castle

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 11. Beneath the Castle

#141 Post by Storm11 »

If the dwarf doesn't find anyone with spare armour he will willingly cast the spell upon Bragar.

Phantom Armour, it's weightless for encumbrance sake, protects as platemail giving you Armour clas 3, absorbs one hit point of damage per illusionist level (6 in Castrans case) and after the sixth point of damage is absorbed will be dispelled, but will last until that happens. Also grants +1 to sa wing throws.
Greys Campaign.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

Scarlett is a bit annoyed we have been dithering in this cell corridor long enough, she is very wet and wants to move on. So seeing the group arguing fruitlessly she suggests the following with a few claps of her hands and gestures, (bit like mum getting all the kids in order), I have seven so I know what she means

"okay boys, time for a bit of order. If you guys can prepare the way through there we can follow, (Scarlett points to the larger room at the end where the zombies came from to Lars, Bragar and Castran), it's probably deep water again down these steps to the south cells. Owl could you chase bat away and ask these bears of yours to knock down this cell door with their bulk and strength. I can go in, I'm already wet anyway, and see who the voice calling beyond is. Maybe your spell Agax could detect which side they are on before we open the cell doors? Gragog come along, your spear will be usefull to attack through the bars if needed. And my Lady,...Lars is that way...(pointing down the hallway)"

After a few looks and open mouths, Scarlett claps her wet hands again"okay, any questions, no good, let us get on with it. Samar have mercy."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#143 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "Yes question might I have my spear back it's currently sticking out of someone."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Storm11 »

Castran will accompany anyone going to the other doorway, walking over the water of course
Greys Campaign.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

The dreaming wizard thanks Bogdana and casts a spell upon himself.
Then he follows Scarlett to the cell door, to peer within and see if anyone there is charmed. He'll follow her footsteps, to avoid the water trap.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 8:20 PM
Weather: Fog

You begin addressing the issues that have presented themselves: Bragar's lack of armor, the cries from the southern door, and what sounds like Tibbius calling from the room to the west.

No one is carrying spare armor, so Castran weaves an illusionary suit of armor around Bragar. The illusion should provide some protection, at least against an attack or two.

Gragog remains on the stairs, asking Agax to return his spear. Agax cures more of his wounds but does not respond to the half-orc.

Scarlett suggests courses of action but makes no moves herself. Agax and Castran stand ready to follow her to the door when she's ready.

Shinyah flies into the other room, following Tibbius's voice.

----
Status: Gragog (F6): 36/42; Lar (P4): 27/27; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 37/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Phantom Armor (Bragar, from Castran): 6 pts
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 11.4 turns; CL coin (60', held by Shinyah—doused while in owl form); CL gem (60' Agax's staff)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Storm11 »

The gnome will see if the others go to the other locked door, he has already tried and is unable to open it and too small to wade in without the ring.

If no one does so he will follow the owl after Tibbius' voice. He won't wait long and lose sight of the owl. If no one shows signs of going to the other door swiftly he will follow the Druid
Greys Campaign.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

"well wet and soaked in a prison cell might still be safer than trawling the dungeons with us."Scarlett says ruefully about the source of the faint cry. "If whoever has survived this long without us, by Samar's grace may survive a few more".

Seems like everyone is pressing on after the owl apart from Agax. So Scarlett will pull him along minding the step she made when the trap triggered. Does that leave Bogdana and the bears in the rear.

GreyWolfVT

#149 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog takes his spear back not asking again.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

"I'm coming, my dear. Mind your step," the dreaming wizard says, releasing the gypsy's grasp and patting his coin pouch to confirm its position. ;)

"I'm afraid I only had the one Knock spell," he says with regret. "It seems these doors will need to be broken down or their locks picked."

Agax will follow anyone to the southern door, (anyone who walks on the floor that is), following their footsteps to avoid the water traps. If he makes it, he'll peer into the cell with his mystical vision to see if anyone there is charmed. If there is no cell window, he'll whisper, "Hello? Is anyone about? Who are you? How have you come to this dreadful place?"

If no one walks to the southern door, then he'll follow the group to Tibbius' voice, again following their path. "Tibbius' allies were all transformed into undead slaves of the vampire lord. An undead magic-us ...er, uh, wizard will be a terrible foe," he warns as he awaits confirmation of the adventurer's identity. Then, if possible, he'll peer into the cell to determine if its inhabitant is in thrall to Strahd.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Dram »

Bragar- Suspicious about everything in this castle. Let whatever it is scream it most likely a trap. Remember me and Castran have walk these halls before. Do not trust anything.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Zhym »

Date: Trieluna 13, 1222
Time: 8:22 PM
Weather: Fog

Everyone waits for someone else to lead the way to the southern door. After an awkward pause, Scarlett suggests they move on to the sound of Tibbius's voice. "If whoever has survived this long without us, by Samar's grace may survive a few more," she says.

Castran walks on top of the water into the next room. Scarlett follows behind, dragging Agax with her in the waist-deep (for a human) water.

Will the rest of you follow? And how will you keep your gear dry? You can hold your packs above your heads, but it will be difficult to defend yourselves if anything attacks. Actually, I think we're getting bogged down. I'm going to simplify things a bit so we can move on.

The rest of you follow in Scarlett's footsteps, carrying your packs above the water and weaving around in the hall until you all have passed through. You find yourselves in a 50'x50' chamber. Racks, cages, iron maidens, shackles, and other instruments of torture both blunt and cunning stand partly submerged in the black water. To the north, a balcony stands high up on the wall, about 7' above the water line. From your vantage point you can just make out the top of two thrones sitting in front of a red velvet curtain.

You hear Tibbius's voice from the balcony. "Yes! Yes! My friend!" he says. "I told you that I will help you if I could. Come and see for yourself what humble Tibbius has found for you. I believe that it is the key you seek. It is right here, in the room behind these thrones."

----
Status: Gragog (F6): 36/42; Lar (P4): 27/27; Bragar: 33/42 (C7); Castran: 23/23 (F5/I6); Scarlett (C7/T5): 34/34; Agax (MU7/C4): 37/45; Petyr (F3): 23/23; Bogdana (C3): 23/23; Shinyah (D7): 37/38, Honeynose: 24/24, Treescratcher: 29/29, Hihu: 4/4
Effects: Phantom Armor (Castran): 6 pts; Invisibility (Castran); Phantom Armor (Bragar, from Castran): 6 pts
Light sources: Lantern (30', Lar): 11.2 turns; CL coin (60', held by Shinyah—doused while in owl form); CL gem (60' Agax's staff)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

two thrones sitting over a torture chamber, sounds like good viewing for GoT's King Joffrey

"I would hesitate to open any of these maidens. More likely a ghoul or such like inside instead of buried treasure. Though ironic to find what we came for stuck in some wicked contraption."

Scarlett will move to the foot of the balcony. Are there any cages or tables nearby that we could stand on to climb to the room above? "Gragog, help me with one of those will you.", she asks pushing a metal cage to use as a step up.

In hushed whispers to Bragar and Castran, she asks, "Who is this Tibbius fellow, can we trust him?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Storm11 »

"Sadly not anymore. One of those who rescued us from the spiders, a wizard of some skill. Now likely a thrall of the vampire lord if not an undead minion. I want his wand if he still has it and his magic dagger!" Castran hisses back.
Greys Campaign.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Zhym »

None of the implements of torture are next to the balcony, though someone strong enough (or multiple people with enough strength) should be able to push something there.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Inferno »

Agax Gryyg, game mage:

The mercurial wizard whispered gravely, "We can trust none who dwell freely in the House of Strahd. He is trying to lure us into a trap. Let us retreat to higher ground where we may face this deadly foe free of the shackles of this deep, black water."

He slowly wades backwards toward the door, watching for Tibbius and ready to weave a spell should the undead warlock appear.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Storm11 »

"If you can give me a boost I may be able to reach the balcony and secure a rope perhaps. Or if I can't reach someone else taller might?" the invisible gnome suggests
Greys Campaign.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#158 Post by Cwreando »

Lar says, "I do no have any extra armor my friend."

Before helping the gnome he attempts to detect evil on the bat and from the direction of the voice of tibbius.

Lar tells the others whether the bat and voice have an evil presence.

If the gnome needs help with the door Lar will cautiously go help them at the door taking instructions if necessary to help.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Zhym »

Just a reminder: you all are in the torture room now, having passed the door from behind which you heard muffled shouts for help.

GreyWolfVT

#160 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Gragog "I'm not sure I'd trust anyone in this place even if they are posing as a prisoner."

Return to “Ravenloft”