Chapter 1: A Knife in Darkness

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Chapter 1: A Knife in Darkness

#1 Post by tibbius »

A patch of brightness crept up the clouded sky. It was a month of cool weather and rain, near the end of the wet season. In the plainer districts of Belthaar, the mud brick buildings sweated slightly in the drizzle and the dirt streets were a stinking mix of mud and excrement. Even in the prettier districts, brown water stood in the gutters of the cobble streets. Those who moved in the streets were uniformly damp.

At the noon hour, in the court of Simashattar, a royal scribe would read the will of Akhtesh Behruz.

Behruz died a month ago. Each of you is a putative heir of the late merchant. Your names were published by criers in each district of Belthaar, and in the surrounding lands of the kingdom. Additionally, the estate paid messengers to seek out each of you. This morning you have left your lodgings and are headed to the Royal Palace for the reading of the will. Based on character sheets it seems unlikely that any of you know each other. Keeping in mind the brief description of the city, please narrate your separate journeys to the palace and your initial appearance in the court.
Last edited by tibbius on Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Chapter 1: A Knife in Darkness

#2 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Having spent much of the morning in a hot dice game in one of the seedier taverns in the Pleasure District, Ishbak decides it is time to take his leave around eleven a.m. Well, gents, I'd like to say this was a profitable morning, but I think I broke even. Unfortunately, I must be going as I've got business at the palace. He lets the laughter and jibes die down as he gathers his gear. Tossing a silver to the bartender as thanks for use of the table, he heads out the door. Dressed in his finest, which really only means he made sure there was no visible blood or vomit on his Armor and bandanna, he sets out for the Palace. The shit on his boots- well, even if he felt like bothering to clean them, they'd be covered again quickly. No point wasting time and energy doing something that nobody would even notice ten minutes later- especially when there's drinking and gambling to be done instead.

As he winds his way to the apppinted location, Ishbak takes some time to take a circuitous route, stepping into doorways and doing what he can to make sure none of his fellow gamblers actually believed him and decided to follow. When he's sure he's in the clear, he'll take a more direct route.

Arriving at the Palace District, he walks briskly up to the gate. Oi, mate, I've got business inside. Name's Ishbak Arus, I'm expected. Just point me where I need to go, eh. After being shown to where he is to wait, he'll wander around the room examining things. Realizing where he is, he touches nothing. Eventually, he flops down in a chair, leg over an arm. Staring at the ceiling, he waits for others to arrive and the reading to start.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Lathi

Lathi gathers himself from his morning meditation on the city wall. Wandering through the city as if he has no where to be he hears snippets of conversations and rumors, learning much of what has happened over night in the city. Grabbing a bite to eat from a local vendor and paying with a copper he moves on to the palace to learn what he can of the will.

"I have come to hear the reading of the will of Akhtesh Behruz."

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

The morning is for sleep. Sleep, sleep, wait...wake up! No, must sleep. WAKE UP!

Xara rolls over and opens her eyes, blinking at the rouge ray of sunlight that dares enter the room. What? Why am I awake? The Will!

She hastily washes away the night and gets dressed. A simple white robe, demure yet provocative. Morning prayers said earlier than usual. A quick check-in on other members and out into the day. After a few blocks in the drizzle, it has become clear that the white robe wasn't the best choice. "Hi, sweetie. Could I borrow your cloak? Come by and see me some time." New cloak in hand, Xara makes for the Craft district and the gate to the Residences. She's made the trek many times before, usually at night, and is able to skirt the most crowded streets.

"One day this is where I'll live." She says to herself as she enters the Noble district and the gate to the Plaza. A few winks and hugs later, she's on her way to the Palace. Probably the only building she's never been in. Until today.

For once she has official business and can enter without bribing or coercing someone. A new experience. "I have been summoned. Where would you like me?" After a few suggestions, someone finally guides her to a waiting room. Where a disheveled young man sits awkwardly on a chair.

"Is this where the reading of the will is going to be? Do you have it?" She asks innocently enough.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

The monk, the rogue, and the cultist arrange themselves awkwardly in the room they've been shown, glancing around at the statuary - some ancient and valuable stuff roughly made of carved and fired pottery glazed in garish colors, some newer stuff in the gauche "realist" style cut from white stone that is currently favored by the upper class. Oil lamps illuminate the shadowy chamber with a steady glow that supplements the cloudy gray light coming in through a few high windows. A large crocheted carpet of greens and reds sprawls across the blue-tiled floor.

They wait for someone to arrive and read the will, and wonder whether they should introduce themselves.
Last edited by tibbius on Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og had entered but you probably wish he hadn't. The barbarian clearly is not someone you would want to spend time with considering the disfigurements he carries and the filth and soil that seems to surround his being, not to mention his clothes. His smile is a leer through broken and missing teeth as he scans the riches of the room he clearly is not used to.

He moves to examine the fancy items displayed and pays particular attention to the smaller - more mobile - items. He moves from one item to the next with a lumbering limp. It's hard to keep one's eye off his foul existence. Not so much, however, that you don't notice some of the smaller valuables no longer where they were...

"This must be the place," he utters...

Scott308

#7 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

I wouldn't touch anything in here. I'm sure they would not take kindly if something were to happen to anything.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og looks at the others in the room - and clearly not Ishbak , "Did you hear something? Me either..." He continues to walk around the room for what looks interesting and valuable.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

A gray-haired woman enters with dainty steps. She wears a finely-woven gown of some mysterious glossy Eastern fabric, dyed bright yellow. Her hair is gathered in a bun at the top of her head, pinned in place with long ivory sticks. Her face is barely wrinkled. She carries a scroll tube.

She sits down on a thickly-cushioned wooden chair in the corner of the room, in the light of an oil lamp on a tall stand. She pulls the scroll out of the tube, unrolls it, and begins to read:
I, Akhtesh Behruz, being sound of mind and well-disposed to those whom I have served, do hereby bequeath my estate to the following in certain manner, by this will to be read one month after my death:
  • To Ishbak, clever of mind and hand:
  • my personal equipment and a tenth part the value of my warehoused goods

To Xara, my special friend:
  • those garments she has worn for me and a tenth part the value of my warehoused goods

To Lathi, whose wisdom enriched me:
  • the upper room of my house in the Residential District, for his life, and a tenth part the value of my warehoused goods

To Og, who served:
  • whatsoever he can carry from my warehoused goods, before they are auctioned.
My goods to be auctioned a month and three days after my death, the proceeds not bequeathed to individuals named herein shall be divided evenly between the Yadar Temple and any who claim descent from my loins within three months after my death.
She rolls the scroll and slides it gently back into the leather-wrapped tube. "This then was the will of Akhtesh Behruz," she says. She stands, bows, and leaves the room.

What do you do?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Exploding out of his chair, Ishbak follows the woman out of the room. Whoa! Hold up a moment, lady! How do I get his personal equipment, and where is this warehouse? How do we determine the value? You can't just leave without giving us some information...please.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by tibbius »

The elderly scribe cleared her throat in an exasperated way. "I'm sure, being clever of mind, you can recall your directions to the Behruz house in the Residential District, where his personal effects still should be. His warehouse was registered in the Office of Commerce, on the other side of the courtyard. One might hope that he arranged with the Handlers to continue paying a watch, after his passing. As he willed, the goods of the warehouse will be auctioned in three days time, and half the proceeds will go as a burial donation to the Temple of Yadar. You will get one tenth of what remains."

Indeed, Ishbak knows the way to Ahktesh's house, where he dined years ago when the master merchant was healthy enough for company. Presumably his old friend's personal equipment remains intact within the house. Hopefully. Unless the servants have sold it. Ishbak does not know where to find the warehouse, but the Office of Commerce seems like a promising start.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Lathi

Turning to Ishbak "May I propose we could visit his home together, it seems that the upper room, is now mine."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

Og smiles at the mention of 'handlers'.. "Ohh..I'm sure there is a way around them if it comes to that! And the ability to take the loot I can carry? Well! Let us see how many carriages I can get, eh? haha!"

"I think a visit to the warehouse is in order! Any one care to join?"

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Xara

Xara listens to the will of her dearly departed friend, then listens to the vultures argue over the remains. "Gentlemen, please! Since you are here, and obviously meant something to Ahktesh, I would like to think that we can all be allies, if not friends." She looks at each of you in turn. "I understand grief, and that everyone processes it in their own way, but let's not dishonor his memory by bickering over his gracious last gift."

"I'm Xara. Of Belet-Lil. I believe I've seen some of you at the temple before. Not one of my clients, mind." She smiles sweetly and stands. "I think that introductions are in order."

"Might I suggest that we examine this warehouse first? The auction seems to be in three days, and it doesn't sound like anyone knows if it has been secured. Besides, I'm sure that none of you are going to run away with those outfits." She winks at this last remark.

Scott308

#15 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Bowing exaggeratedly low, Ishbak replies to Xara. Apologies, love. I wasn't bickering and meant no disrespect. Believe me, when I mean it, you'll know. I just felt there was more info we should have been given, aye? The name's Ishbak. Now, he says, rubbing his hands together, let's go see this warehouse!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Lathi

"To the warehouse then. My name is Lathi."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

Within twenty minutes they had disturbed the sleeping scribe in the office of commerce and obtained an address for the Behruz warehouse. Raven and Bracelet. Proceeding undera mist of rain through the narrow cobbled streets of the crafts district, crowded at either side by yellow and brown brick buildings, they passed by the open space surrounding the Red Tower. Continuing further south they left the streets of crafts and entered the wagons-wide roads of the warehouse district. Asking only twice for directions they reached the intersection where the onyx-feathered skeleton of a bird hung on a post below a cheap bead bracelet. Two burly people stood by a double door, eight feet across and eight feet high, which faced the intersection from the corner of a long brick building. A sign above the door read "BEHRUZ." The door was chained shut with a padlock on the chain that looped through the adjacent handles of the two doors.

"What's your business?" asked the thick chested man. He wore heavy leather armor, a helmet, and a short curved sword.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308

#18 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Our business, friend, he begins, gesturing toward himself, Lathi, and Xara, is to see what is in the warehouse. We get part of the proceeds when this stuff is auctioned. As for this lug, he says, pointing to Og, his business is to see what all he wants in there. My brutish friend gets to keep whatever he can carry out of there before the auction. So, we'd like to see just what kind of goods Akhtesh has in here, and how much we might expect to gain from the sale. He stands impatiently, shifting from foot to foot as he awaits a response.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by tibbius »

The wide-shouldered woman wearing the matching curved sword and leather armor guffawed and slapped her compatriot on the arm. "Do ya hear that, Remwaz? They'd like to get into the warehouse! And they think they have a claim on the goods!"

Thick chested Remwaz raised both bushy eyebrows in a mockery of surprise. He sneered. "Do you have authority for your claims? The Handlers are owed back pay from the proceeds at auction. That's a first share."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Scott308

#20 Post by Scott308 »

Ishbak Arus

Well, we just came from the reading of the will at the Royal Palace, so I'd say King Simashattar is pretty good authority, huh? Now, you gonna unlock the doors and let us in or what?

Return to “World of Xoth (5e)”