Episode 1: Into the Wasteland......

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Into the Wasteland......

#241 Post by Alethan »

Kapok, Mutant Plant

Kapok says, "I will stay and help, though I have little need of food..."

OOC: I've no idea if he really needs to take in food or if he gets sustenance through photosynthesis or what. So maybe he needs to eat something, still. I wonder if he should then be a carnivore (the opposite of a vegetarian)...

Concerning the Ant Lord, he adds, "We need to know more about the Ant Lord - how many in his gang, what kind of weapons they have - before we decide to leave the safety of the walls to ambush him."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Grognardsw »

Luke, Pure Human

"From what I hear, there is too many muties an' morlocks for us to bushwack 'fore they git here," says Luke. "Caston's wall is our strongest defense."

Broggrim
Guide
Guide

#243 Post by Broggrim »

Bart, Mutant Human

Bart’s snoring stops and his grin slackens. With out moving from his resting position he remarks,

“Well, Seeress, It would appear that you have us all huckleberried. As for me suddenly I’m might hungry."

He sits up, glances at the menu,

“Mancy dear, I’ll take three of these rat sammys.”

Then addressing the party,

“After we eat we should discuss tactics with Mysaurus. As for you Kapok I have a feeling they’ll be many a corpse for you to sink your roots into before the weeks end.”

OOC: If we don’t know of Kapok’s bloodlust or if that was done with when he uprooted omit what I said to kapok.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#244 Post by Alethan »

Broggrim wrote: “...As for you Kapok I have a feeling they’ll be many a corpse for you to sink your roots into before the weeks end.”

OOC: If we don’t know of Kapok’s bloodlust or if that was done with when he uprooted omit what I said to kapok.
OOC: Yeah, sorry, it's not really a "bloodlust" thing, like he eats the flesh of his victims... Although, given the background I wrote, that might not be a bad idea. But I was using "carnivore" to mean one who only eats meat (like steak or burgers or chicken) vs. being a vegetarian.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#245 Post by Dogma »

Nor-jax, MA Gorilla

"People feed Nor-jax then Nor-jax crush puny ant-man."

Nor-Jax wasn't sure why everyone seemed so concerned about this Ant-Lord. Ants were small and easy to crush. But as long as they were going to feed him he didn't care.

OOC: If the Ant-Lord has large group I'm not sure about the ambush. We might be better off fighting from behind the walls.

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#246 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx, Mutant Human

"I have a spyglass, I see pretty well at night and I can hover over the town to spot the enemy." Blixx offers. " I'll try not to get shot down."
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by max_vale »

Frank, Pure Human

Frank nods his head in satisfaction upon hearing that the crew and him can stay for a week and get eats on top of it.

"Allrighty then; it sounds like maybe we oughta stay behind the walls and let them come to us and then figure what to do from there. I've got a good Bow and I know some of us are good in a fight at range as well; so that sounds like what we ought do; at least at first."

Upon hearing Blixx's proposal; Frank nods; "Good thinkin' Blixx."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Grognardsw »

Luke, Pure Human

"They don't call me Cool Hand Luke for nothing. Smith, Wesson and me ain't gonna let no Ant muties get through," says Luke.

The post-apocalyptic cowboy smiles that the group is in agreement. He sips his drink, smokes another cigar, and makes small talk about himself. "I was raised in a burned-out basement of the great hall called "Mall," by mutant parents Block and Buster. As a youngin' I came to admire the gods of the screen including Eastwood, Ford, Spielberg, Lucas and others who live in the silver disks and talk from the screens. I tries to uphold their values and speak their words of wisdom."

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Norjax »

The Seeress and guards leave Craps. She instructs you to meet with Mysaurus in the town hall, because he will command the defense of Caston and organize the positions of the defenders. Before you leave the bar, Mancy takes care of any last requests for food and drink; including a bowl of plump, juicy, lime-green grubs for Nor-jax.

Mysaurus is waiting for you at the town hall and he motions you to enter the building, a two-story structure in the center of the town. He commands one of the guards to retrieve your weapons from the armory as you assemble around a large, sturdy table.

“The Ant Lord’s forces number over forty,” Mysaurus begins. “He has three Field Marshall who command two Commtains each. Each Commtain has between 5 and 8 morlocks and/or human zombie subordinates. The Ant Lord’s forces always appear to number around forty when he attacks. We have killed more than a dozen during each attack, but his ranks always seem to return to full force. He has attacked Caston nine times over the past two years.”

“We think the Ant Lord has powers to affect the minds and will of living beings,” Mysaurus’ second in command reveals. Her name is Lorriss and she would be a perfect human specimen save for her bluish-white hair and translucent scales on most of her skin. “Most of the humans and morlocks appear to be under some sort of non-vocal control.”

Mysaurus tosses a dirty metal ring on the table. “The bodies of their morlock and human dead have this crude copper collar around the necks. We believe this shackle focuses influential mental energies emanating from the Ant Lord.”

“We have two-dozen militia members, including Mysaurus, Luke and I. Each militia member has a ranged weapon in addition to various melee weapons. Our bows and crossbows are augmented by five slug throwers; three rifles and two pistols.”

“The Ant Lord’s forces use spears and javelins against our wall defenders. Fire is often implemented to cause damage and havoc. His officers will take pot shots with their crossbows and what slug throwers still have ammunition.”

Mysaurus and Lorriss ask Blixx to suggest signals that could be used to warn the defenders when danger approaches. Vocal commands may be neutralized by the Ant Lord’s battle horns that blare during each attack.

OCC: The player characters may respond or ask additional questions before we continue with the briefing.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#250 Post by Norjax »

The Seeress must perform an augury to determine the best course of action for Caston’s defense. She is the reason that Caston has held out for so long. She can accurately predict how, when and where the attack will occur.

OCC: Think radar in the Battle of Britain.

“The Seeress has foreseen the upcoming attack will employ battle beasts”, Mysaurus reveals. “These beasts will give the Ant Lord an advantage we have not had to deal with. She has determined the battle beasts are large, quick and deadly flightless birds with horns and talons.”

Lorriss turns and addresses Luke. “We could use more spear shafts. I’d like you and some volunteers to recover several dozen tree parts to make the shafts. We will need them back by late afternoon so we can get the spears made before dark.”

“Our militia of approximately 2-dozen will be sorely pressed to defend Caston. We hope your assistance gives us the edge against this new threat.”

Actions?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Grognardsw »

Luke, Pure Human

Luke thinks about what Mysaurus has said. "It may be a wild idea, but can we hammer out some copper collars? Maybe fake out the Ant Lord forces if need be?"

"I don't suppose we have any make-shift armor?" asks the gamma plains drifter. He imagines a crude sheet metal chest plate or welded traffic signs of the old days.

Luke thinks about what the walls are walls made of. "Could we dump flaming oil over them to repel scalers?"

"Well let's round up some branches then,"
says Cool Hand Luke. "Can I borrow one of them rifles, should we run into trouble?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#252 Post by Alethan »

Kapok, Mutant Plant

Kapok agrees to help find more branches for spear poles.

Mimdalf
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#253 Post by Mimdalf »

Blixx, Mutant Human

Blixx looks thoughtful "Caltrops, or pointy metal things, Pongee sticks, hidden sharp stakes hidden in shallow pits, things to slow their advance or retreat. That will slow them and keep them at a certain range longer, so we can shoot them up a wee bit longer before they reach the walls." Oh, and I can drop sticks down with colored clothe or ribbon tied to them some with written messages.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

"Little surprises around every corner, but nothing dangerous!" WW

Namárië

Broggrim
Guide
Guide

#254 Post by Broggrim »

Bart, Mutant Human

“Consider me twice huckberried, for I have no small skill in woodcraft, and my axe will make quick work of the saplings that grow in these wretched regions.”

Bart says exaggerating his pompous, being eager to work with his hands at his favorite craft again. Even if its just sharpening staves for pikes.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#255 Post by Dogma »

Nor-Jax, MA gorilla

"Nor-Jax help get spear-trees," replied the mutant gorilla between mouthfuls of grubs.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by max_vale »

Frank, Pure Human

"Just to add to what's already been said; even just covered pits could work well against heavy mounts carrying riders"; added Frank. "Oh; and of course I'm willing to lend my aid in fighting off this Ant Lord bum".

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Norjax »

Mysaurus recommends that all the Player Characters accompany Luke to gather materials for spear shafts, stakes and branches for covering pits. Two wheelbarrows are available to haul the materials.

Suitable trees and bushes grow in and around the Vile Marsh, five miles to the south of Caston. The waters of the marsh are toxic and mutant animals occasionally prowl the area.

Mysaurus and Lorriss deny the request to borrow the firearms. The weapons are too valuable to risk damage and/or loss in the foraging expedition. Two crossbows with 6 bolts each are available for the trip.

Message stick will be prepared for Blixx so he may communicate during the anticipated attack. Pits will be dug around Caston’s perimeter to enhance the defense. The city armorers will try to make some armored breastplates from scrap materials for the Player Characters. Caston does not have enough oil to spare for defensive measures.

Caston has six copper collars acquired from dead attackers. A further eight damaged collars are in various-sized pieces. All others have been recycled for other uses.

Do all the PC’s go with Luke?
Do you take the wheelbarrows?
Do you take and wear the collars?
Do you borrow the crossbows?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#258 Post by Alethan »

Kapok, Mutant Plant

Kapok will agree to go with Luke.

OOC: If wheelbarrows will slow them down, then by how much? What would the reduced travel rate be going there and back (with, presumably, full wheelbarrows on the return trip) vs. going there unencumbered and coming back with bundles of spear staves?

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Norjax »

Alethan wrote:OOC: If wheelbarrows will slow them down, then by how much? What would the reduced travel rate be going there and back (with, presumably, full wheelbarrows on the return trip) vs. going there unencumbered and coming back with bundles of spear staves?
OOC: The travel rate is somewhat reduced, but considering the mix of your party it is negligible. It is not just spear shafts that are to be collected, but stake material and branches for covering pits. The amount that needs to be gathered would be difficult to carry as individuals.

I'm open to any alternate ways of conveying this material.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#260 Post by Alethan »

Norjax wrote:
Alethan wrote:OOC: If wheelbarrows will slow them down, then by how much? What would the reduced travel rate be going there and back (with, presumably, full wheelbarrows on the return trip) vs. going there unencumbered and coming back with bundles of spear staves?
OOC: The travel rate is somewhat reduced, but considering the mix of your party it is negligible. It is not just spear shafts that are to be collected, but stake material and branches for covering pits. The amount that needs to be gathered would be difficult to carry as individuals.

I'm open to any alternate ways of conveying this material.

No worries; if it's negligible, wheelbarrows sound fine to me.

Return to “Mutant Future - The Wretched Regions”