OOC Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion

#141 Post by Marullus »

Happy Monday!

I will wait until tonight or tomorrow morning for anything else, then move forward with Clough leading towards the light (unless someone says otherwise).

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#142 Post by rossik »

Guys, doe to coronavirus, I have little free time. I'm sorry to leave the game. I had a great time, and wish you all the best

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Rex »

Sorry to hear Rossik, I hope all is well. Good Luck!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Marullus »

rossik wrote:Guys, doe to coronavirus, I have little free time. I'm sorry to leave the game. I had a great time, and wish you all the best
I'm so sorry to hear! Be safe and well. Your roleplay here was a great addition to the story and I hope you come back when you're able. :)
Stirling wrote:It doesn't resemble any great place of power, dark and dank as it is. No statues or altar pieces, vestry closets of fine raiment, shrines of holy relics. "All very goblinoid." he says cynically whilst thinking a truer power and perhaps riches lie above, at the end of the bucket rope.
Great embelishment to add depth and differentiation between the Old and New Kingdoms! Thank you for this! :-D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Marullus »

Handling a Conflict Scene

When you enter a conflict, it triggers a special set of rules where the group works together (not as separate individuals) to achieve their goal. This isn't just for a combat, but also for other types of conflict. It also isn't a given that conflicts (or combats) are to murderhobo the other group. You choose what your group's desired outcome is, what type of conflict your engaging in to achieve it, then set an order of actions for every individual to participate accordingly.

Please prefer to the Conflicts chapter, beginning on page 67 of the rulebook.

What type of Conflict?
This creature has Order of Might 5 and as adventurers you have Order of Might 3. That determines what types of conflicts it is possible to engage in, given that it is bigger and badder than you. The creature's intent is to devour you. Nom nom nom.

Your intention so far is to have weapons in-hand and shoot it. It is too potent for you to capture or kill it. You may drive it off, Flee, Convince, Trick, or Riddle. (If you had an army, like a whole tribe of goblins, you could Wage War on a potent foe using the Commander skill instead of Fighter, which Tancred can do.) Based on your preparation, I am expecting that your goal is a Drive Off conflict to run the creature out of here. If you want a different conflict type that is possible, and will be established by how you react when it pops out from under the midden heap.
Decide your conflict type, post IC actions to set the stage as you react, and state a group intent (i.e. what you achieve if the conflict is successful).

Who leads the fight?
Someone in your group is in charge. They're the Conflict Captain. That person is key for generating the group's disposition (i.e. hit points for the conflict) and he has the say in what order the group acts in for a coherent plan.

If this is a Drive Off conflict based on current actions, Grimm is the natural Conflict Captain since he's the one with the crossbow keeping a wary watch for just this occurance. (He's also probably the best choice for this conflict type.) He rolls 4D Fighter +1D for each person with the Fighter skill who is participating in the fight, and then adds it to his Health score of 5 to determine total disposition.
(Grimm's sheet says "Will 3, Health 3" but as a Dwarf Adventurer it should say "Will 3, Health 5" - please adjust that. :)

You then decide if anyone is sitting out of the fight - they can cheer you on from the sidelines but don't get actions (and also aren't required to use up action slots) and are insulated from consequences of failure. (I assume for gameplay and OOC fun, everyone wants to be involved, but you're free to decide this.) Tancred, Clough, and Haar and have the Fighter skill, so give a +1D to the disposition by being in the fight. Note that Ganna and Cu Aislin are not skilled Fighters so she don't add +1D to disposition.
Decide who is the conflict captain and if anyone is stepping back and staying out of the fight.

Deciding Order and Actions
Once we determine who's in the fight and the Captain rolls the disposition, then you plan your actions rounds of three actions each. I'll determine the creature first and set that aside secretly, then you decide what your actions are. If all six of you are participating, that means that three will act on round 1, the other three act on round 2, and then keep alternating. (If some people are not participating, then then the remaining people bump-up and act more often to protect them.) There are four types of actions in any conflict and generally each type of character is good at two of them. If this is a Drive Off conflict, they are:
  • Attack (with Fighter Skill). Direct stuff. Lowers the monster's disposition for the win.
  • Defend (with Will attribute). Either reduces success of an attack (saving your disposition points) or adds to your disposition points.
  • Feint (with Figher Skill). A trick attack. May overcome their defenses, but risks being caught off-guard.
  • Maneuver (with Will attribute). Using an action to gain advantage on the action that follows you.
Decide the first three actions and who is doing them. You get to decide round 2 for the other people after seeing the results of round 1. Conflict Captain gets final say to move things forward.

Once the action order is decided (who is doing it and which of those four they're doing), then I reveal the monster's action order (which decides how each thing is rolled and resolved). Each person takes their turn and describes how they're doing what they're doing accordingly and rolls their dice. :)

Your Weapons
Weapons don't roll damage. It's all part of the disposition in the conflict system. If you're doing an Attack you must have a weapon in your hand or you take a penalty on your roll. Besides that, most weapons have a specific bonus to one of the four action types above, which will now make more sense. Go to page 37 for the Gear chapter and make sure you read up on what you have.

With current actions, Grimm is pointing his crossbow. Crossbows do "+1s to attack, +1D to maneuver, and an additional +1D to attack and defend." For those with Daggers, they can use a maneuver to disarm against specific weapons, but in this case it doesn't work on claws, so using a dagger gives you the advantage of being armed.

The monster is also using weapons (it has obvious claws for attacking) and less obvious ones that will come into my narrative for other actions. It is possible to "disarm" it if you figure out what its weapon/advantage is and find a way to successfully counter it.

Does this make sense?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rex »

Makes sense, I am fine with Grimm as captain, Ganna will defend with will. I will try and get a post up tonight when I get home from work.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
Make sure you guys are discussing here.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#148 Post by Enoch »

I'm fine with Grimm as captain. We do need to decide on what sort of conflict we want (what our overall goal is), though. I'll warn you about choosing Kill, though: monsters are tougher or weaker depending on what kind of conflict they're good at, and a troll is probably good at Killing. He's probably higher than us on the Order of Might, meaning he'll do extra damage. There's also a special rule about Kill conflicts: once you start them, one side WILL die.

I suggest we try to Trick him into chasing us outside. The sunlight will turn him to stone
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rex »

Kill seems a bad idea here. As the non combatant Ganna will follow others lead. My next move will most likely try to light a torch from her lantern based off of what Clough said.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

drive it off, Flee, Convince, Trick, or Riddle.
It is too powerful for you to engage a Kill conflict. Choices are above.

Is Ganna staying in the conflict or sitting out as a non-combatant? Same question for Cu Aislin.

Also, always read the GM's narrative for clues. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Rex »

I am not really sure the best course of action for her. I am leaning towards staying in because I feel she wouldn't abandon her friends, but don't really see how she can be useful here. She could use her wand as part of a trick, maybe make herself look like another troll to lure it into the sunlight?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#152 Post by Enoch »

In a Conflict, we'll all get Disposition (basically Hit Points) and the choice of several actions (what skill you use for each action depends on the Conflict type we choose). You'll be able to participate, although Ganna may have to make Beginner's Luck checks to do it. It's up to you to color what, say, a Defend action looks like (which can include a trick with your wand).

As for conflict type, Cu is in favor of either driving it off or tricking it. He definitely doesn't want to Flee, because this pool is holy to him. I suspect (I haven't looked at the stat block) that it will be easier to trick it than to drive off a hungry troll.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Stirling »

The only sunlight is that coming down the well shaft.

We could always feed it the cat ... or the goblin!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Rex »

I don't think Tabby would satisfy it very long, would have to go the goblin route. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
This needs you all to resolve before I move forward.

I messaged DrPete on Friday and he hasn't been on to read it yet. we can give a few more days, but what's the backup plan for Conflict Captain if it isn't Grimm?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rex »

Maybe Tancred?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#157 Post by Enoch »

Tancred works!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Marullus »

It looks like:
* You are still deciding between a Trick conflict or a Drive Off conflict. You need to clearly state your objective for the win (it is trying to devour you.)
* That everyone is participating in the fight (no one has said they stand back)
* You need to decide the three of you acting in round one and what actions (Attack, Defend, Maneuver, Feint) they will do. Grimm or Tancred (as conflict captain) can expedite here by assigning this.

Bill was last online last Wednesday and DrPete was last online last Thursday; I am fine with either, as long as someone comes back soon. :)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by drpete »

So sorry, guys. I've been offline for the last several days dealing with work and family care issues. Nobody's got "it", but I take care of my dad on weekends, and had a big deadline.

Alright, I think if the choice is between driving it away from here vs leading it to a place with sunlight, my instinct says try to drive it away, especially without the goblin not really being helpful here. We also don't (I think) have a bunch of skillful manipulators and loremasters... a few with the skills, but few enough that I'm scared to wade into that on our first conflict. We'd just be hoping the troll was worse, I guess?

Looking over everyone's stuff:
Grimm: Fighter 4/Will 3 - Crossbow: +1s Attack, +1D Maneuver, +1D Attack vs Defend, bypass leather
Tancred: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Lance: this is an improvised weapon, I think... so it'll break if he uses it?
Haar: Fighter 3/Will 5 - Mace: bypass chain, damage plate
Durganor: Fighter 1(!)/Will 3 - Hand Axe: no bonus/penalty
Clough: Fighter 2/Will 4 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)
Ganna: Fighter - /Will 4 - No weapon
Cu: Fighter -/Will 5 - Dagger: Maneuver disarms some weapons (not claws)

We'd basically want to get torches into most people's hands, and spend a lot of time maneuvering & defending. That said, I'm seeing a lot of people moving towards the exits in the IC thread. Should we just book it? That might be safer than trying to trick it to the surface?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#160 Post by shroomofinsanity »

So Haar is very gung ho to try new foods, so his first instinct is to leap at the new chance to prepare a meal. I am aware that this thing is way beyond our abilities, so if another party member gives him a command to act in another way, he will. I am excited about our first big conflict.

Return to “Blood in the Dark (Torchbearer)”