Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Gagel the thief picks the east door lock which Fingal failed previously. He opens the door and is met with a chilling sight.

Beyond the dessicated corpses, extending from the north wall are seven thin corridors of catacombs.

South door...

Fingal tries again on the south door and successfully picks the lock. Beyond the door are many bones.

Beyond are three corridors of catacombs running east.

At the north door...
For the second time today, Wulfhart calls upon the power of his Ring of Watery Form. He transforms into liquid and sloshes under the north door. He then reforms to open the door. Just before he turns the handle, Swilbosh the lizardman fighter bashes it down and gives Wulfhart a bloody nose!

Beyond the door is a corridor going north 20' then turning west.
Map
The north door opens to a corridor going 20' north and turning west. This isn't mapped here yet.
My reserve of 30-year-old graph paper is dwindling, so I use both sides. Consider the faint underside impressions to be echoes of an alternate universe.

Swilbosh bash door 1-4 [1d6] = 2. Yes

- Yes, Niles is a still life drawing. I think Groyn carries him around. That said, you haven't tried to do anything. Though you know you can't walk.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

#2 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh looks at Niles:

"Sssorry my friend, I couldn't wait any longer! Sssso it appearssss we have ssssome choicesss to make. Which way is besssst? The north and deal with the bonesss after or one of the other two?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion draws an arrow on the floor to the south.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Pulpatoon »

Prophyry looks positively elated at the sights behind the South door. "Oh garnets and moonstones! What pretties have we found here? What collection of curios and allure!" Traipsing with eager steps to the hanging corpses, he examines them with an expert eye, looking for details of who they were in life, how they died, and how the bodies have been treated since death. "Hung out and left to dry, my darlings? You'll be delicate, hmm? Papery, even. Might not stand up to so much as a rough breath. Don't worry, I'll be gentle." He does not touch the bodies himself, but may gently prod them with the tip of his sickle in order to gain more information. "Softly, softly," he whispers to himself, "tender with the sweetmeats."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ChubbyPixie »

greyarea wrote:Asherrion draws an arrow on the floor to the south.
"It's hard to be sure, but I believe Asherion is indicating he would like someone to fire an arrow or some other projectile into the south corridor..." says Wrenly. After considering for a moment, he says, "...or perhaps, conversely, he merely wishes us to proceed in that direction." Seeing Poryphyry traipse in delightedly to examine the hanging corpses, he has a moment of pause. Curiosity about the book didn't turn out so well...

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel laughs, "But if I give you my brain, who would open these doors for you that leads you to new brains! Go be.....sick with dead bodies.....wait.....don't go too far huh?"
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by AleBelly »

Wulfhart wipes his nose with the back of his hand and smears the blood on the lizard man's finery. "That'll be the last time you draw blood from me."

He heads south with the others...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#8 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal doesn't like the looks of all these dead bodies. So......he doesn't look at them.

Instead, he looks around at everything else. He looks at the floor to see if there are recent tracks anywhere that are not their own. He can sometimes be seen looking at his drow like arms and hands.

He ignores the body snatchers completely and enters the north door, checking for traps and then searching for secret doors in the walls and floor as he moves in.
Please make any necessary rolls Bill. Would you like me to send you a few pounds of graph paper? :lol:

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by saalaria »

AleBelly wrote:Wulfhart wipes his nose with the back of his hand and smears the blood on the lizard man's finery. "That'll be the last time you draw blood from me."

He heads south with the others...
"I hope ssso too!"

Swilbosh also moves to the south.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#10 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn shivers at the sight of the hanging corpses. At least they weren't small child size like...but these freak worshippers have no respect for life. These childrens aren't in good hands, if any of thems still alive that is! I agree with Inksherrion, let's go south.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Grognardsw »

A delighted Porphyry examines the hanging corpses. They are dry, brittle adult-sized humans that have been hanging here for a generation or more of time. There is no apparent cause of death, but the pyschopomp knows that doesn't mean murder wasn't committed.

The satyr, attuned to scents of the dead, smells much death beyond coming from the seven thin corridors of catacombs along the north wall. He looks down the first, nearest row (#1 on map) and it stretches as far as his torchlight carries. In that 30', with catacombs stacked five high on each side, he calculates excitedly 60 death beds alone in the area he can see. With mounting arousal, he wonders how far down does the corridors go? With seven corridors, there may perhaps be more than 1,000 catacomb death beds! Porphyry is not so overcume that he doesn't see the glint of metal here and there, deeper in, reflecting from his torch light.

The other adventurers move through the south door, where there is a smaller area with three corridor rows of catacombs running from the east wall. The place is eiriely quiet and echoes the footfalls and clinks of the party. The corridors extend farther than the torch light.

Sleestak the lizardman shaman brings juju healing on the burnt Fingal. He rubs greasy swamp plant oil on the wound, shakes some dung pepper on it, spits on it, rubs vigorously and says a serpentine chant. Fingals injuries magically heal! (6 HP)

Then Fingal bravely solos the north corridor, looking for traps and concealments. The hallway extends north 20' and turns east at least 30'. There is a door in the north wall of the hallway 30' down. Beyond the door the corridor continues going east beyond the thief's torchlight. Fingal finds no traps or secret doors.

Map
Beyond the north door isn't mapped yet but the description is clear.

Sleestak CLW on Fingal [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by saalaria »

Swilbosh eyes the first corridor in the southern passage.

"Anyone want to look for trapsss?"

He doesn't proceed yet.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal watches the big lizard healing him with astonishment.

Not the purtiest way a doing things but, it still works! Thanks SS!

Fingal returns to the 3 doorways.

No dead things this way that I can see!

He waits while the others satiate their curiosity with the dead bodies.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel is confused, "Who would trap the dead?", he shrugs and searches for traps..ss

[1d100] = 86
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry says in an off hand way to the others, "Careful. I think these pretties may be barbed yet."

The satyr opens his mind and senses to the hidden mystical currents of the psychopomp, feeling for unusual eddies and ripples among the dead. He moves forward to inspect the bodies in the catacombs. "Who has been tending this garden? So industrious, such dedication. Quietly, my poppies. Gentle, my primrose."
Porphyry has Command Undead at the ready, should he see any signs of unlife.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#16 Post by doughx99 »

Niles merely along for the ride at this point says

which ever way we are going we should stick together

Hotgoblin

#17 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn grabs Bene by the tail...Quit try'n to play with them dead folks' bodies!! They ain't done nothin to yous yet!!!

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU

Wrenly hesitates at the intersection, unwilling to lose sight of any of the party members who seem to be scattering in all directions. "Do be careful!" he says, reflexively readying a stone from his belt pouch.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

At the intersection in front of the three doors, the adventurers pause to discuss if catacombs are worth exploring.

To the east, Gagel joins Porphyry and searches for traps among the three hanging desiccated corpses. He finds none. The satyr moves down the first of seven catacomb rows, eager to explore what dead may lie within.

There are bones in each catacomb bed, some partially and a few wholly complete. Here and there is the occasional glitter of coin, or perhaps metal or glass; remnant clothes, or perhaps a sack; indeterminable knick knacks; a hand or limb more well preserved then the rest. It bears closer examination of the beds to determine exactly what is what. Porphyry walks about 50' down the thin corridor and his torch light extends 30', showing it continues beyond 80'. He shudders when he thinks about how many dead are in this corridor alone.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Pulpatoon »

Shuddering (with anticipation), Porphyry does a little quick math. 4 tiers (or is it 5?) to every... what, 8 feet? He walks back and explains excitedly, "There's hundreds along this row alone, and at least seven rows! Thousands upon thousands, going back centuries. What a glorious trove!" Picking a likely looking berth, he picks around in the contents, both examining the remains and looking for likely trinkets. "There is so much to study, here! Such knowledge to be harvested! I'll need parchment and ink, and candles. And tools for delicate work. Oh, and solvents and jars for testing specimens." Looking over at whoever is nearest, he says, "You'll pick these up for me when you're next near a town, yes? Oh, and do go on with your exploring. I'll stay here."

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”