Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chp. 8 - Please Save the Children!

#21 Post by Inferno »

Sleestak, 2-D lizardman shaman:

"Tsi-go-wa-ti-ha. Su-na-le-i. E-do-da. E-me-nv."
As the shaman healed the garrulous 'Flame Jumper' (nee 'Talks Without Fighting'), small living snakes writhed among his many necklaces of beads, shells and bones.

Sleestak nodded once and grunted at the mammal's gratitude. He had acted bravely, if late, and had earned his healing.

Then the reptile man approached the satyr he called 'Delights In The Dead' and hissed, "Let them be, ghoul. Let the dead rest in peace."

The under-dimensional vision-questor will follow the humankin party, walking with his lizardman brother, as they investigated the catacombs. He held his holy symbol, a rough wooden carving of a serpent coiled around an egg, likewise diminished from the entirety of this plane of existence.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Pulpatoon »

Inferno wrote:Then the reptile man approached the satyr he called 'Delights In The Dead' and hissed, "Let them be, ghoul. Let the dead rest in peace."
The satyr whips his head around and snaps, "PEACE? PEACE?! What do you know of the desires of the dead? Of their needs? You, what, talk to spirits? Misty vapors and aetheric fog? But what about what the spirits leave behind? The flesh needs tending. The flesh has mysteries it longs to share. You godsmen are deaf to its entreaties. That, ahh, that is what the psychopomp is for."

Porphyry ends his tirade with a haughty look, and then continues rummaging among the catacombs.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel carries whatever Porphyry gives him then adds to the conversation, "Let this man feed his insane 'inclinations', you might see it as strange or vulgar but it what he lives by, his code, if you think it's intolerable then do something to stop him to appease your own code. LIFE IS TOO SHORT THOUGH, bickering over a few....thousand bodies is just wasting time, I would rather sing or drink but that's my own code I suppose", he laughs and continues further down the corridor hoping it will lead somewhere.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion the grey ink flows with the flow.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Inferno »

Sleestak, lizardman shaman:
thesniperknight1 wrote: Gagel "Let this man feed his insane 'inclinations', you might see it as strange or vulgar but it what he lives by, his code, if you think it's intolerable then do something to stop him to appease your own code. LIFE IS TOO SHORT THOUGH..."
When "Burns With A Jape," explained that the goat man was insane, and time spent attempting to reason with him was wasted, the serpentine shaman understood immediately. All mammalkin seemed mad to him.

Still exploring the ramifications of his new state of existence, for good and for ill, the two-dimensional being reflected on the others' states. Perhaps the living portraits they called Niles and Wrenly could inhabit other works of art with their consciousness, like a vision quest. And in doing so, perhaps they might draw greater understanding from those works of art. Art like the murals outside. Or even the burnt pages of that unholy tome.

Sleestak envied their condition, and the otherworldly journey they might soon undertake.

His dry, toothless mouth quietly rasped to Niles and Wrenly, "...Humans,... do you think... you could travel inside other drawings? ...Will you try?"
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion draws on the wall an ink drawing perhaps in response to the lizardman's thought...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal waits for any others that might join him in investigating the doors.

He is also interested in seeing if the lizard shaman's idea is successful.

When yer all done with yer experiments, I still say we ALL go up the north passage.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Grognardsw »

Dismissing warnings from Sleestak the lizardman shaman, Porphyry satiates his necrophile interests by rummaging around the catacomb beds. He breathes deep the reek of the dead, enjoying the scent, the dust of skin and bone, the echoes, the dark atmosphere. The satyr makes a number of interesting finds.

- An exotic bottle that looks to be wine, about three-quarters filled.
- A stoppered silver vase shaped like a pair of bountiful human female breasts.
- A pouch of six dessicated eye balls, each from a different species of some unidentifiable non-human.
- A preserved brain.
- A sealed skull whose eye sockets, nose and bottom are filled with wax. Something rattles within.

Curious, Gagel with his stick-figure left arm advances down the corridor that Porphyry is in (#1). He is not so enamored of the place, but he too sees potential random loot scattered about. Some coins here and there (totaling 69), a belt buckle attached to a rotted belt, a rusted helmet, a broken pipe, the hilt of dagger.

The other adventurers - blackened, drawn or bearing stick-figure limbs - consider Sleestak's words about the drawn members of the party being able to interact with other drawings. It is an intriguing idea. Wrenly, Niles and Asherrion have yet to experiment with their new forms.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry grins with childish delight at his ghoulish finds. "Wrenly, would you care to cast an appraising glance upon my lovelies? The sack of preserved eyeballs, in particular, strikes me as the sort of thing that might bear enchantment. And the preserved brain... we might have a use for that, hmm, Gagel? Might not need yours, after all."

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by saalaria »

So has Porphry fully explored the eastern tombs?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Pulpatoon »

No, he's just gone down row #1, about 50 feet.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#32 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal now sees the error in his ways.

You found all that loot in one section of those...... things? That means there could be a fortune in here if we collect it all.

And that brain!!! I'm no genius but I think there was a place back there that we could put that thing to good use, right?

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#33 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel tries to see if there is an end to this corridor, if it goes on for much longer, he will come back.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Grognardsw »

Gagel continues down the corridor. At 100' he hears a rustle, a clink, and then...

The thief's torch light shows eight skeletons rushing at him. Due to the narrow corridor, they are one abreast.

Actions!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by saalaria »

Can we all hear the combat? I think we are in the southern section aren't we?

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, MU

A bit ill at ease at first, surrounded by all this death and decay, Wrenly's inked face had worked itself into a worried frown, but his interest sparked by the lizard shaman's suggestion that perhaps he could merge with other paintings make him perk up a bit. "A fascinating idea, sir! I will venture to do so at the nearest opportunity. ... though, ah, perhaps if we locate a piece a bit less... Ahem!... lewd than those in the great hall... I don't believe I would enjoy merging with those pieces at all, assuming it could be done." he says.
Pulpatoon wrote:Porphyry grins with childish delight at his ghoulish finds. "Wrenly, would you care to cast an appraising glance upon my lovelies? The sack of preserved eyeballs, in particular, strikes me as the sort of thing that might bear enchantment. And the preserved brain... we might have a use for that, hmm, Gagel? Might not need yours, after all."
"Delighted to be of service, my horn-ed companion!" he replies to Porphyry, his discomfiture up to now utterly forgotten. He takes the bag of eyes in hand. "You're sure these are magical?" he asks, misunderstanding that what Porphyry is requesting is a Detect Magic spell. "I can only assume you've encountered such items in your time. This procedure is quite taxing, you see. Now give me just a bit of room, if you would be so kind. I call this particular identification spell Wrenly's Splendid Fathomization, for reasons that will be lost on the uninitiated..." he glances around at the others nearby, then begins what appears to the initiated be a normal Identification spell with some flourishes thrown in. Before he fully commits, though, he pauses looking down the corridor in the direction Gagel went and says "Did you hear something...?"

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion flows towards the noise.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Gagel runs back while on the way trying to put some obstacles to slow the skeletons down.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Inferno »

Sleestak, lizardman shaman:

"Mammalkin, you should have let them rest in peace," the primal shaman stated to the shameless grave robbers upon seeing the dead rise to exact their just revenge.

With no remaining offensive magic and no ability to touch a door lock, let alone the living dead, the dimensionally-diminished druid offered all he had left, wisdom: "Return what you stole from them, and ask for their forgiveness."

Even as he spoke them, he knew his words were wasted. Humans would rather die than relinquish their property, especially after they went to the trouble of stealing it.

;)

Nice Harryhausen gif!
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

doughx99
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by doughx99 »

Niles will use his time to concentrate on leaping from his drawing to asherrion's drawing,or if that doesn't work using all his willpower to jump from his page and become animate.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”