Expedition to the B.P. - Chp. 2: Rage Against the Machine

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks - Chapter Two

#141 Post by Grognardsw »

One level below the action in the security station, a tense situation unfolds...

The massive frame of Swilbosh the bestial crocodile man fills the doorway of the chute. Tensed like a coiled spring and ready to pounce, his reptilian eyes scan for anything that might need killing.

He growls low and mirthless, "What the Hell issss going on?"

Almost insanely relieved at the hulking lizard-man's arrival, Wrenly exclaims, "Swilbosh, my friend, thank goodness it's you! Our Getafix is not himself! I believe he is compelled by a nefarious creature - you must restrain him if you can! He knows not what he does. I'll assist you! I did a little stage boxing in my day!" He springs awkwardly from foot to foot, death ray device in hand. "But be careful! The creature is still somewhere about!"

Getafix stands nearby with a clear look of skepticism on his face. There is a rip and cut wound on his back.

Twenty feet away is Gryev the Ravenous, a blank look on his face, occasionally gnawing the hilt of his bloodied bastard sword.
The others heard Swilbosh climbing down so are not surprised.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#142 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn climbs back down the chute to look for Swils and Wrenly..Wrenly, Swils I'm on my way!!!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Pulpatoon »

The Ravenous Gryev coos and babbles gently to himself. His sword's pommel is now thoroughly sodden.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh, savage lizardman warrior:

The cold-blooded warrior was all out of patience. Even on his best day, he hated puzzles and mysteries. But he managed to growl his seething questions beneath glaring eyes until their answers revealed whether and who it was that needed killing.

"Exxxxplain yoursssselvessss. Who issss not 'acting himself', Getafixxxx or Gryev? Where did you get that wound, sssshaman?" he snarled from the doorway, business end of his hooked trident pointing at them.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by ChubbyPixie »

"Ah, yes, Swilbosh. By way of explanation," says Wrenly, I came running to Getafix's aid when he raised an alarm he was being attacked by Gryev. When I arrived, however, I found Gryev in a stupor... " he indicates Gryev's infantile state, "...and Getafix being pursued by a brain with legs! Then, before I could act, the creature disappeared into thin air while leaping at Getafix, and Getafix... who did not notice when I referred to myself as 'Chauncy the Great,' immediately proceeded to try to convince me now would be a good time for a little casual 'target practice' with my death ray device!!" He waves the "wand" in demonstration. "Why is he not concerned about the invisible monster lurking about?" Wrenly pauses, hands on hips, eyebrows raised as if his point couldn't have been made more clear.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by AleBelly »

Candy and Wulfhart head to the place where they last saw the rest (which I believe was the room with the silver witch).

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by tkrexx »

Porphyry's scolding causes Guido to visibly twitch. Ah'm... Yes, um... I'm sorry, I do appreciate the wonderful feat of necromancy here, truly it is a wonder... but... He reaches out and shoves the unliving carcass with his foot. See? Even Andover had difficulties striking this... Whatever it is... Whereas even I can now prod it with impunity. It has lost something. Not your fault, of course! It's most likely that the thing's death caused the reduction in our attempts to attack it.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Pulpatoon »

Porphyry, looking extremely annoyed as Guido effortlessly kicks his ride, scoffs: "Parlor tricks! That was nothing but parlor tricks and mummery! But this, now this is real magic!"

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Grognardsw »

Down below...

After Wrenly the Brown gives his side of the story, Swilbosh and the wizard face Getafix the druid.

Groyn calls down the shaft from above. Word is shouted back, and the dwarf climbs down to join Swilbosh and the others.

Further back, Gryev the Ravenous looks on with little reaction besides drool.

One level up...

Candidiasis and Wulfhart, on their way to the chamber of the silver woman, bump into Asherrion the gray elf. He proudly clutches a small pile of black access cards. They share what has befallen them, and together head to the chamber of security robots, where the others went earlier.

In the chamber of the security robots...

The uniformed skeleton watches mutely as the adventurers explore the chamber. Andover the ranger examines the armor, which appears to be constructed in parts - chest, legs, helmet, with openings in the rear. It would be a little large on the half-elf, but not overly so.

As Fingal the thief examines the black-glass-screen-box-with-board-of-buttons-and-knobs, a triumphant Porphyry rides in upon the herky-jerky resurrected monster they just killed. Brother Puddington is shocked by the sight. Guido and Porphyry discuss the quality of the satyr's animation of the dead beast of displacement.

As Fingal plays with the knobs, the screen suddenly shows a picture! It is the room with the chute down, the one the party initially discovered soon after entering the metal dungeon. The picture flickers, gets fuzzy and flickers, then is replaced with a view of a jungle! Is this too in the dungeon, or is it another place? Several seconds later, there is a view of a large chamber with many vegenoids.

The screen goes black, then flickers into a picture of a warrior man, woman and humanoid bear-like beast running through an unknown metal hallway of the dungeon...
Running through the hallway...

Then the screen goes black again.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#150 Post by greyarea »

I have seen no invisible creature, replies Getafix in his defense. I was accosted by Gryev, who either was not in his right mind or was a traitor all along. He cut me with his sword. I bet you can still see my blood on it! I called for help but then was able to get off a spell to enfeeble the poor chap. We should help him upstairs or at least place him someplace safe while he recovers.

And before you came along, oh hello, Groyn. I was just telling Swilbosh here what happened.

As I was saying: before you came along, I was trying to show Wrenly how to use the weapon I gifted him. Although, come to think of it, perhaps he should give it to one of you. His one time trying to fire it and he shot the ceiling! He was so befuddled that he didn't even remember his name.

Getafix furrows his brow and rubs his chin, Hmmm, seeing "invisible" creatures and forgetting his name. We should keep an eye on Wrenly. I hope he hasn't hit his head or anything. At least he doesn't appear dangerous.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by tkrexx »

I hope we don't run into them, Guido points to the pair of Warriors and the Humanoid bruin. We need to make safe this chamber, and get ourselves some rest!

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Inferno »

Swilbosh, savage lizardman warrior:

Invisible creatures. Walking brains. The story was so idiotic it had to be true.

The barbaric saurian put it all down to witchcraft and troubled his head no more about it. "Very well. How long before Gryev regainssss his witsss and issss a threat to ussss again?"

After hearing the answer, he grunted, "Letssss find the otherssss."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Pulpatoon »

Inferno wrote:" How long before Gryev regainssss his witsss and issss a threat to ussss again?"
Not any time soon!

Hotgoblin

#154 Post by Hotgoblin »

Groyn's slightly winded from his climb dow Hello all... Swils, I just got down here and nows we're going back up? He scans the area with his infravision.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#155 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

By lightning and thundar! What is this strange magic box that shows such images?

Looks like we haven't seen the last of them little green men yet either? Hey! Who are those three?

I wonder if we can use this thing to find out where the others are?

He begins spinning and toggling again, hoping more of the magic images appear. If the screen stays black, the thief bangs on the side of the box with the palm of his hand.

more rolls if you need em
Trial and Error [1d10] = 3 [1d10] = 10 [1d10] = 10
Man, if the idea is to roll low, I'm gonna end up blowing this place up the way I've been rolling 10's.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Wrenly the Brown, Human MU
greyarea wrote:Getafix furrows his brow and rubs his chin, Hmmm, seeing "invisible" creatures and forgetting his name. We should keep an eye on Wrenly. I hope he hasn't hit his head or anything. At least he doesn't appear dangerous.
Wrenly purses his lips and regards camera for a moment, the looks back to Swilbosh and "Getafix."

"Yes! When will your "enchantment" wear off, Getafix?!! I'd like to hear what Gryev has to say!" He glances at the barbarian. Is that an alien being sprouting from his... oh, it's just a snot bubble. He taps his foot impatiently.

"Ah, Groyn, my good Dwarf," he says on the Dwarf's arrival. "I've never been happier to smell you!... er, see you." He'll explain, using very simple words, his belief that Getafix is charmed in some way and that there is a brain creature running around here somewhere, invisible, and that he should be very careful. "Also, Groyn, you must stop running around with your axe blade pointed at your face. I've been meaning to tell you this for some time. I'm worried about your safety."

"But more to the matter at hand! Yes, Swilbosh, let's find the others. Perhaps Candiasis has a spell... THAT CAN REVEAL INVISIBLE CREATURES!" He yells this last part into the air over Getafix's shoulder.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Brother Puddington edges away from the horrid, dead thing Porphyry rides, but tries not to betray his feelings outwardly - he can see the satyr is proud of his creation. Ugh. He breathes deeply a few times, trying to check his rising nausea.

Noticing the images on the screen, he says "Yes, perhaps this would make a good base of operations, if we can decypher the pattern behind the images and which areas they show. We could see what we're heading into before we go out... which mark was it on when it showed the plant men, Fingal?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#158 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Fingal

Ummmm........I dunno?

He tries moving the sliders back to where they were.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#159 Post by greyarea »

Asherrion backseat drives Fingal, pointing at buttons and switches. Maybe that? Perhaps this over there? I'm sure I saw something like this on the ship that took me. I'm just trying to remember what.

Is it some sort of picture frame or maybe a scrying device or something to read our thoughts?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#160 Post by greyarea »

Getafix agrees with Swil and Wren. Maybe someone can take a look at my back. I think Gryev got me pretty good. as he goes with them to join the others.

Return to “The Keep on the Borderlands”