OOC VIII

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC VIII

#2 Post by thirdkingdom »

So, things have been crazy buys for me the past few months, and I haven't been keeping things as up to date as I would like with this game. I am going to make a better attempt at tracking time and posting it at the beginning of each IC post. As far as I can tell, you guys have been underground for two hours. The caves under the Forgotten City are essentially a number of smaller dungeons connected via a system of tunnels and corridors. So, right now you guys are in the Lair of the Oroks. I'm taking a cue from Wyzard's Chowladian dungeon and trying to speed up travel from one dungeon to another. I also do not expect you guys to map the connecting corridors.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Wyzard »

Guys, I get that we're all risk-averse, but I'd be more comfortable if one of the PCs with higher HP than Severi would take the lead before we find the lair of the ur-orks.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

Does anyone need anymore healing before we advance?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.
Koren n'Rhys
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by Koren n'Rhys »

I don't know that it's "risk-averse" as much as paranoid. :-)

Still, you're right, but it's not Quint that can help. Aren't Tev and Thurgan our front line fighters?
MonsterMash
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by MonsterMash »

I'm happy for Thurgan to lead, low AC and high HP.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#7 Post by Atlictoatl »

I meant to post this a couple of hours ago, but got pulled into some fires at work. (They're endless right now.)

~*~

I've been getting perplexed. If we don't have Standard Operating Procedures, we should establish them so that when a threat presents itself, TK can move things forward without each of us needing to post that we ready our weapons and look alert, which has been seeming increasingly redundant to me as we're in a hostile setting.

I'm assuming that Tev and Thurgan are taking the front line in any confrontation that presents itself, and that Rhys and Severi are taking front positions when it involves listening, investigation, or being more stealthy, which will sometimes get them in trouble.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Atlictoatl wrote:I meant to post this a couple of hours ago, but got pulled into some fires at work. (They're endless right now.)

~*~

I've been getting perplexed. If we don't have Standard Operating Procedures, we should establish them so that when a threat presents itself, TK can move things forward without each of us needing to post that we ready our weapons and look alert, which has been seeming increasingly redundant to me as we're in a hostile setting.

I'm assuming that Tev and Thurgan are taking the front line in any confrontation that presents itself, and that Rhys and Severi are taking front positions when it involves listening, investigation, or being more stealthy, which will sometimes get them in trouble.

We have them; just haven't updated them since the last round of turnover.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1281
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by thirdkingdom »

Also, I'm trying to use the SOP for things like searching for traps, examining doors, marching order, etc. My thought here was that there were a couple of different things you could do: retreat, try to hide in the niches, move forward to attack, etc. Essentially, Rhys succeeded on a Hear Noise check.

I guess what I need to emphasize, though, is that under most circumstances, if I post something directed to one PC, we should be operating on the assumption that the rest of the group is immediately informed. In other words, you guys don't have to wait for Al to chime in with "Ho! Something approacheth!". Just take it for granted that he lets you know posthaste.
Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

thirdkingdom wrote:In other words, you guys don't have to wait for Al to chime in with "Ho! Something approacheth!".
Lol. You obviously know how much "Shakespearean RPG Speak" bothers me.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Atlictoatl »

thirdkingdom wrote:Also, I'm trying to use the SOP for things like searching for traps, examining doors, marching order, etc. My thought here was that there were a couple of different things you could do: retreat, try to hide in the niches, move forward to attack, etc. Essentially, Rhys succeeded on a Hear Noise check.

I guess what I need to emphasize, though, is that under most circumstances, if I post something directed to one PC, we should be operating on the assumption that the rest of the group is immediately informed. In other words, you guys don't have to wait for Al to chime in with "Ho! Something approacheth!". Just take it for granted that he lets you know posthaste.
Sorry to hear you're in the back to school woes.

From my perspective, skritching at the end of the hallway would only lead to one action: attending to the sound to identify what's there. There's a range of ways we might do that, but we haven't experienced anything yet that would cause us to take a different action like retreating or hiding. Now that we know what the source is, those seem like more viable options.

I get why you'd want to give us those options, but I was paralyzed as a player waiting for someone to move things along to the point that we could identify what was happening.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Wyzard »

Atlictoatl wrote:I was paralyzed as a player waiting for someone to move things along to the point that we could identify what was happening.
I confess that this does not make sense to me. What is someone else going to do that you can't do?
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Atlictoatl »

Wyzard wrote:
Atlictoatl wrote:I was paralyzed as a player waiting for someone to move things along to the point that we could identify what was happening.
I confess that this does not make sense to me. What is someone else going to do that you can't do?
Yeah, I realized that after I wrote it. I'm still thinking in terms of a 3e/4e action economy, wherein if my character's stated action is investigation, he might not be available to then, say, charge and attack. I'll grow out of that.

I also just didn't know what to do, and was looking to someone else to make that decision. (I've been putting out endless conflagrations all week at work, and have a level of overtaxed brain fatigue by 2pm that feels like dead brain cells. It's that rage-inclusive sort of stress that comes from being at the effect of other people's persistent incompetence. One of today's issues is that contractors published the wrong phone number -- mine -- into an email that went out to 50,000 people, so I'm getting today's phone calls instead of the dedicated support team.)
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote:
Wyzard wrote:
Atlictoatl wrote: One of today's issues is that contractors published the wrong phone number -- mine -- into an email that went out to 50,000 people, so I'm getting today's phone calls instead of the dedicated support team.)
Hey, all you guys who work for yourselves, does Google constantly bombard you with robo-calls? I get, like, at least three or four calls a day from them and it drives me fucking crazy.
Wyzard
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Wyzard »

I've had a few. I'm not sure if they're actually from google or a scam outfit.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by Atlictoatl »

hrm. I'm not aware of getting any. They must really like carpenters.

There are "Google associates" out there who don't actually work for Google, but who are sort of loosely licensed to provide services to help you build Google-owned assets into your business. It used to be they were all hustling for people's Google Places business, which was an insanely profitable gig. Not sure what the services are these days.

Anyways, you may have a higher than usual saturation of them where you live, or be in that sweet spot of smallish but with good revenue that would make them think you'd be interested in dropping benjamins on something you don't have time or staff to do yourself. There might be a way to put yourself on a Google Associates do-not-call list, but I don't know what that is.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Atlictoatl »

I added some basic standards to the Standards thread: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1281&p=120938#p120938

If you'd like to add/discuss/revise, I'll update the post.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by thirdkingdom »

Atlictoatl wrote:I added some basic standards to the Standards thread: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1281&p=120938#p120938

If you'd like to add/discuss/revise, I'll update the post.
Just to get this straight, you've got Rhys and Thurgan out in front during movement, but once combat begins you're assuming that Rhys and Tev will switch places (if you guys can't spread out). I've already rolled out the first round assuming that Rhys and Thurgan are in the front rank (as per the marching order). Tell you what, though. You guys are on the stairs, so I don't see why we can't assume that those in the back row have a decent line-of-sight on the beetles -- at least as of now, before they close to melee -- given that those in the back row are further up the stairs. I'll begin rolling out round two now.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Atlictoatl »

Thanks, TK.

Most plans don't survive first contact, but the idea is that -- when possible and we have some control over the battlefield -- Tev and Thurgan will set up to be a front line. That won't always be possible, and Rhys may get caught up there as a consequence of being first in the marching order.
Atlictoatl
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Atlictoatl »

Doh. I don't know how I managed to miss that there were posts after TK's, but I did. If the others had suggested moving on first, he'd have agreed.

Return to “In Search of Adventure”