Re: Neverwinter Woods > To Find the Keepers

#121 Post by tazwmg »

Thurgrum will follow Lysander's example

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by hedgeknight »

The Lady of the Forest stomps her feet into the ground and her legs become trunk-like trees as she roots herself to keep from being pulled into the vortex. Several elves grab onto her robes and legs, holding on for dear life. The Keepers cry out as elves grab them attempting to keep them from being sucked into their doom. Thaleese is caught up in the vortex as well as Min and Tohmal, who are holding onto their father, Celadon, crying out for help!
Time is fleeting > only a few seconds remain to save them...

As it is with most desperate times in life, things tend to move in slow motion...

The vortex from the crumbling stone archway swirls, sucking trees, debris, and elves into its gaping maw to some unknown hellish plane of existence. The shimmering Lady of the Forest literally takes root, stretching out her arms which transform into sturdy branches, providing another anchor to those who can hold on. Peril brings out the best in the companions, as evidence by their actions:

Dalivere > on his knees, the half-elf from Port Llast unleashes a sticky spell, creating a large web anchored between trees, catching many "flying" elves, preventing them from being sucked into the vortex.

Purvan > heedless of his own life, rushes after Thaleese, grabbing onto her leg, promising to hold onto her forever...even if their forever is in the Abyss. As he feels his own feet leave the ground...a strong hand takes hold of his foot.

Thurgrum > grabs onto one of the extending branches of the Lady of the Forest...and then grabs Purvan by the foot as the investigator comes flying by. The dwarf holds on for dear life, roaring as his body is stretched to the point of almost snapping in two.

Lysander > seeing his best friend about to lose his grip, calls on the Triad and grabs Thurgrum around the waist, while holding onto the Lady of the Forest. The paladin never stops praying, never stops reciting the creed of his gods...and he never lets go!

Greystone > buffeted by debris and wind, the staunch rogue does all he knows to do in a situation like this...he attacks! His bowstring hums as he fires arrow after arrow at the tentacles and into the vortex...even when he knows it won't be enough. Then, he remembers something, and calls out to a friend for one last desperate shot.

Darkstar > seeing his friends and companions literally risking their lives to save others, staggers the homeless archer. His mind races back to the day he discovered he was alone in the world for the first time...and then fast forwards through all of the trials, sorrow, and journeys up to this point...where his friends, the closest thing to family he's had in many, many years...are about to be taken away from him. Words cut through his thoughts, reminding him of a Lady's gift. And blinking back tears of renewed grief, he fires the Lady's gift into the vortex.
vortex.jpg
vortex.jpg (22.93 KiB) Viewed 794 times
A shimmering arrow flies through the debris and strikes home deep into the vortex and suddenly, things start to change. A deafening howl rises from the portal and the tentacles begin to withdraw, releasing their catch. The Keepers, throats raw from screaming the Rite, renew their efforts, and the stone archway begins to come apart, snapping in two at its apex, crumbling backward into a large pile of rubble, leaving only two weakened pillars on either side.
The wind dies down and any debris in the air slowly settles. Looking around, you see elves rising from the ground, checking on each other and embracing each other regardless of their clan. The Keepers likewise hold onto one another as they approach the Lady of the Forest, now rooted deep into the ground, nearly a full grown tree, not resembling the goddess at all anymore. But her voice is still strong and pure.

"WELL DONE, MY GOOD AND FAITHFUL CHILDREN! I LEAVE THIS NEW SENTINEL HERE TO REMIND YOU OF YOUR SACRIFICIAL BRAVERY TODAY > MAY IT BE THE BEGINNING OF HEALING AND RENEWAL FOR THIS GLADE...AND FOR YOUR HEARTS."

Many of the elves cry out to the goddess, begging her not to leave them. Sunlight breaks through the canopy and for a few seconds, those standing around get a glimpse of her glory > it is if she is smiling down upon them.

"LET NOT YOUR HEARTS BE TROUBLED. BELIEVE IN ME AND DO NOT FALTER...FOR LO, I AM WITH YOU...ALWAYS..."

The voice fades but the sunlight remains as the elven clans stand around, hugging and talking with one another in the shadow of the newly born forest sentinel...yet another gift from the Lady.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thus ends To Find the Keepers...
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by wolfpack »

After a few moments of everyone standing I silence dalivere speask up.

So anyone know where I can find some dwarven oak...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#124 Post by Alethan »

Leaning over, hands on his knees trying to catch is breath, Greystone hears Daliver's question break the silence. After a moment's pause, he smiles and stands up straight.

"What? You mean the weed? Gotta go to Mount Hotenow for that, mate. Only place it grows."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#125 Post by Dogma »

Lysander raises from the ground and says another short prayer to the Triad. He then places his hand on the new sentinal tree and bows his head. "Though I have given my service to the Lords of Light and Justice, know that the Lady of the Forest shall also be in my prayers and forever in my heart. Thank you. For my life and those of my companions."

The paladin then dusts the debris from his clothes and, though he knows the fight against this great evil is far from over, joins the others in their joyful celebration.

tazwmg
Scout
Scout

#126 Post by tazwmg »

Thurgrum looks around, "Where's some ale when you need it." and slumps down gasping for breath

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Argennian »

Although he thought for sure that this was it, and that he and Thaleese were goners for sure, Purvan opens his eyes when the Lady of the Forest offers her divine words of reassuring victory bathed in confirmations of warm, radiant sunlight. He takes a deep breath and does not try to hold back the tears of joy and relief that they won and are still alive. At least for now...

Why in the nine hells did I have to fall for this incredibly beautiful and obviously suicidal harlot? the young half-elf thinks to himself as he pulls his fellow investigator up to her feet and checks her over to be sure that she's alright. "Did anyone ever tell you that you are crazy, Leesa?"

Purvan then turns and sincerely thanks the dwarf that saved them. "Thurgrum, you have my sincerest thanks. You saved both of our lives. We most certainly owe you one for that..."
tazwmg wrote:Thurgrum looks around, "Where's some ale when you need it." and slumps down gasping for breath
"No kidding!" the young thief exalts with a broad smile before turning to the others gathered. "Me and Thurgrum can't be the only ones that need a drink, can we?!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#128 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar feels amazed that not only was the evil defeated but all of his new friends are still alive. He walks over and clasps Greystone on the shoulder. With a smile he says Glad you remembered the arrow Cousin.

After a moment or two he looks over to find Min and goes to check on her, her brother and her father.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by hedgeknight »

Epilogue...Mirtul 30 1358 DR

Nearly a week has passed since the battle for the stone arch ended. The three tribes of wood elves have renewed their pact to protect Neverwinter Woods and not let their differences divide them any longer. The three Keepers > Elder Summer (Lynx), Celadon (Owl), and Redhorn (Stag) > survived the battle, but at a price. Each has aged considerably...at least 100 years, perhaps more. While Summer and Redhorn are still capable of leading their respective tribes, Celadon's health will not permit it much longer. His children, Min & Tohmal, will take over after he is gone...but will they rule together or will they combat one another for the right to rule? That has yet to be determined.

Following the battle, the three tribes feasted and celebrated the victory and mourned the loss of friends and family. The companions > Dalivere, Darkstar, Greystone, Lysander, Purvan (and Thaleese), and Thurgrum > were honored with gifts and accolades and granted passage throughout the Wood for the remainder of their lives.

Darkstar, renewed with a sense of family, has spent the week enjoying the company of elves once again. And more importantly, enjoying Min's company. She is a fierce warrior and equally, a fierce lover with a temper to match an angry bear, but with a heart that loves life and people and all the Lady has to offer.
"Stay with me, Darkstar," she says during a late morning walk. "I don't want you to go. I want you by my side as my father passes on and Tohmal and I decide...whatever we decide to do. We can be joined...and have children. You won't be alone anymore, and neither will I. The people of the tribe love you...as do I."

Dalivere, along with Greystone accompany the Stag elves on their journey back to their lands. And on the way, complete Dalivere's mission to find dwarven oak. Along the lower slopes of Mount Hotenow they find exactly what the Half-elf is looking for, and spend the night near the rumbling mountain. Both have found "companions" among the women of the Stag tribe who are eager to share their furs with them.
Redhorn talks with Greystone on occasion, telling him about their struggles in the southern part of the forest, particularly the encroachment of human loggers and the rise of humanoids. "The hag gathers her dark minions for purposes yet unknown. I feel she will put those in motion very soon."
Lysander raises from the ground and says another short prayer to the Triad. He then places his hand on the new sentinal tree and bows his head. "Though I have given my service to the Lords of Light and Justice, know that the Lady of the Forest shall also be in my prayers and forever in my heart. Thank you. For my life and those of my companions."
At the end of his prayer, the voice of the Lady answers him...
Lysander >
"My brave warrior, you have my thanks for your loyalty. And a gift I give you." A large green leaf wafts down from the branches above and lands in your palm; it shimmers with life and energy. "Keep this close to your heart and when you are in great need, call on me...and I will answer."
Purvan, Thaleese, and Thurgrum spend most of the week in a drunken haze...which suits the stout Dwarf priest just fine. The three drink and dance and even sing! And Purvan is just as surprised as the elves to discover Thurgrum's deep baritone voice. The young elder, Winter takes to the grizzled Dwarf easily, and is soon calling him "Uncle Grum" despite all of Thurgrum's grunts and groans about it.

Uninhibited by wine and the thrill of being alive, Purvan and Thaleese renew their relationship...as often as they can...and by the end of the week, as the tribes begin to disperse, Thaleese tells Purvan something that thrills him and chills him all at the same time.
"Are you ready to be a father, my love?"
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”