Neverwinter Woods > To Find the Keepers

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Neverwinter Woods > To Find the Keepers

#81 Post by Alethan »

"I wish you could see us stop him, you black-hearted bitch," Greystone whispers in her ear as her last words fade away.

Then he retrieves his sword from her stomach and quickly checks the dead body for anything of value or interest, remembering the red lantern the daemon used to hold power over others.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Argennian »

Having run out of arrows in his quiver, Purvan scrambles frantically to retrieve the ones he has tied to his pack. He calls out for his fellow investigator's visual vigilance and potential action as he does so.

"Leesa, I need to reload my arrows! Keep an eye on Greystone and the others and do what you can to help them!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:Then he retrieves his sword from her stomach and quickly checks the dead body for anything of value or interest, remembering the red lantern the daemon used to hold power over others.
Like Shumar, she too wears leather bracers with silvery scrollwork, the dagger she dropped when she died, and an expensive set of clothes (even though her shirt has a few holes in it!) complete with a black, hooded cloak, silk shirt (ruined), black, skin-tight breeches, and dark gray leather boots. Under her cloak, is a small satchel with a scroll-case and three vials, one of which is empty. Also, her coin purse, containing a hefty amount of gold (30 pieces total).
Argennian wrote:Having run out of arrows in his quiver, Purvan scrambles frantically to retrieve the ones he has tied to his pack. He calls out for his fellow investigator's visual vigilance and potential action as he does so.
"Leesa, I need to reload my arrows! Keep an eye on Greystone and the others and do what you can to help them!"
"I think it's about over," she replies, weariness evident in her voice.

Looking around below, there does indeed seem to be somewhat of a truce between the warring elves. The Owls and Lynxes stand off against the remaining Stags, which are a lot fewer in number than they were when they arrived. Redhorn, bloodied and breathing hard, stands with a gory spear in hand, facing Celadon, who is leaning against the great cypress, his shirt dark with his own blood. Elder Summer, her yellow gown torn and disheveled, stands between them, daring either to commit further actions against the other.
Her eyes are hard and she looks around until they rest upon Greystone. "You have us all here, Cerulean! What are we now to do?"
Winter is coming...

tazwmg
Scout
Scout

#84 Post by tazwmg »

thurgrum will help patch up what he can. he has used up all his spells

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by wolfpack »

Mind if I take a look at that scroll.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#86 Post by Alethan »

Greystone looks up with a start at Elder Summer's call to task. He stares at her willfully for a brief moment, trying to sort out what she wants from him.

At Daliver's request, he blindly passes the scroll case over to him, still not taking his eyes off of Elder Summer.

He finally speaks. "I, uh..." he stumbles, before cutting himself off. Clearing his throat, he continues, "I have no idea, Elder Summer. I am just a scout." He points at Celadon and adds, "Celadon is the one who said he was one of the Keepers and knew of a way to shut down the arches if all three Keepers could be gathered. I admit to taking his statement at face value, being the leader of the Owls, but have no knowledge of what he and the other Keepers must do."

He glances over at Celadon with raised eye brows as if to say, "help!"

Once Celadon begins to speak (assuming that he does), Greystone removes the satchel with the vials and the coin purse. He puts the coin purse in the satchel. Then he looks back up at Celadon and listens to what he is saying.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Argennian »

Purvan is relieved to see the initial conflict has ended, but keeps his bow and an arrow to hand anyway, just in case another black robe or demon appear to shatter the impromptu stalemate. That and it seems the sudden peace and parley between the elf clans is a strained and uneasy one at best.

He backs up next to his fellow investigator and whispers over to her without taking his eyes off of Greystone and the surrounding elders. "I really hope these elves can... bury the hatchet, so to speak..."
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by hedgeknight »

Thurgrum and Lysander bandage the wounded or speak departing words over the dead.
Darkstar seeks out Min and finds her bloodied but able to walk, along with her brother, Tohmal.
Purvan and Thaleese wait anxiously for the outcome of the meeting of the three tribes.
Greystone, after stammering a reply to Elder Summer, adds some coins and vials to his pack.
Dalivere opens the scroll-case taken from the black-robed woman and finds two sheets of scrolled parchment within.
Scroll of Flying & Scroll of Protection from Vermin
Alethan wrote:He glances over at Celadon with raised eye brows as if to say, "help!"
Celadon gives Greystone a smile and a nod and begins to speak, telling of the pact the Lady of the Forest made with the three tribes, recalling to remembrance their agreement to honor and protect the Wood to which they have been made overseers, regardless of their differences. And how the Lady named each of them Keepers > watchers over all things, particularly the two stone arches that are known to exist in the Wood. "The northern arch has been jeopardized and now we must act as one to destroy it, as it was foretold to us that one day we would have to do so. Let us put aside our differences and go there swiftly and prevent further destruction of our home. So says, I, Celadon, Keeper of the Owls."

Elder Summer agrees and pledges her support almost immediately, ready to take Winter and return to the lands of the Lynx. Redhorn, still breathing hard from the battle, agrees...on one condition: "That the Stags no longer be considered outcast...and trade be opened between our tribes once again. Too many of our youth and elders die in the harsh winters in the shadow of the smoking mountain. We have no help from the Lynx or Owl. This needs to change!"
Celadon takes a deep, painful breath and nods. Summer does likewise. Redhorn smiles and says, "When do we go? When do we seal the arch?"

"As soon as we are able," Elder Summer replies. "Who would come with us to the stone arch and see this through?"
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar steps forward as a voulenteer. He would like to bury an arrow in Redhorn but there are more important matters to attend to first.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by wolfpack »

This has all been very interesting and to a degree entertaining, but if I am to be useful I need time to rest and recover my magic.....and a look at the books taken off the black robes could be a help as well. It could open up a new avenue of spells for me to use.

A little help with this wound wouldn't hurt either

Dalivere says with a smile pointing at the dagger sticking in his side.
Last edited by wolfpack on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#91 Post by Alethan »

Without looking at anyone else, Greystone steps forward to indicate his determination to go. In case that was not clear enough, he simply states, "I will go."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar moves over to stand shoulder to shoulder with Greystone. In a short time Greystone has become the closest thing to family that Darkstar has left. He is pleased that they will see this ordeal through together.

tazwmg
Scout
Scout

#93 Post by tazwmg »

Thurgrum will also volunteer to go and like Dalivere, he needs to have time to get his spells back if possible

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Argennian »

Purvan sets down his bow and quiver when it becomes obvious that things won't get bloody again. He hugs his fellow investigator and winks at her reassuringly until she smiles.

Perhaps the night is not ruined after all...

When Elder Summer calls for volunteers, he takes Thaleese's arm and steps forward.

"We might be strangers here but we had somewhat of a pact with the Lady of the Forest as well. She showed herself to us. She bestowed favor upon us in the form of a special gift and reassurance. She didn't say why at the time, really. But regardless, I think I'm beginning to understand. Besides, I would not see her faith in me, Thaleese, or any of the other friends we have made here, be made to appear in vain...

"We're in."

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by hedgeknight »

Silent but resolute, Lysander also steps forward and bows to the trio of elven leaders.
"By the Triad, I pledge my sword and shield to help in whatever way I can."

The elven leaders relax a bit and Summer calls for helpers to assist a badly wounded Celadon. "All of you are greatly appreciated, and while I hesitate to delay, many are wounded and need to recover arcane and divine abilities. On the morrow, we will journey to the stone archway and together, we will destroy it and prevent any other evil from threatening our homes!"

Her voice rings through the forest and the elves raise their weapons in salute to her. She then sees to the Lynx elves who are wounded or dead and finally manages to check on Winter who has watched all of this with eager eyes.

The night passes and so does most of the morning, for healing and regaining spells takes time and rest. By noon, the forces are gathered yet again...about fifty in all, a mix of elves from all three tribes, the three leaders, and the companions of the forest.
Celadon looks like he's coming off a three-day bender, but surprisingly his voice is strong when he asks you how you wish to travel to the stone arch.
"By tree," indicating the Lynx elves. "By owl," indicating Aurian and her giant owls. "Or by stag," indicating the huge stags ridden by Redhorn and his clan.

Once you make your choices, Celadon raises his staff high and says, "For the Lady and the Wood!" and the elves echo his charge. And then the three groups head toward the archway.

OOC: Alright fellers > Happy 4th! Indicate which method of travel you choose and update your hit points to full, and renew your spells. Spellcasters, please list the spells you prayed for or memorized for the day in your next post.
The finale is coming!!
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#96 Post by Alethan »

Noticing Darkstar standing at his side for the first time, Greystone plants a hand on his shoulder and nods his head, showing about as much emotion as he is willing, given the circumstances.

"If we make it through this, my friend, I will help you sort out your troubles," he says in a quiet voice.

Though Greystone found the owl flight to be somewhat exhilarating, he knows the tree travel will be fastest and feels the pull to travel with his clan, having been away from them for so much time the last few months and knowing that he may soon have to leave them again.

He quietly moves to stand by Winter to indicate his decision.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#97 Post by Alethan »

Before they travel, however, he asks one of the clan magic users to see if they can detect any magical properties in and/or identify the items he pulled off of Shumar and the black robed woman.

This includes:
Two potions (from the woman)
1 dagger (from the woman)
Bracers (from Shumar)
1 thick thumb ring (from Shumar)
1 dagger (from Shumar)

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by wolfpack »

did we come by any spellbooks from the black robes as well?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Argennian »

Feeling a closer bond and more familiarity with Greystone and his kin, Purvan chooses to ride with the elves of the Lynx clan. He makes sure that Thaleese will agree to travel with him before confirming however. He looks to get his arrows replenished if he can, and perhaps acquire a spare bowstring. Just in case.

As last minute preparations are made, the young rogue considers what they are about to do and just what they could be up against. He pulls his fellow investigator to the side for whatever privacy they can muster. With a sudden, serious look on his face, he draws her to him in a tight embrace and kisses her passionately. When they come up for air, or she pushes him away, he tries to think of a way to tell her how he feels about her. "I want you to know.... well... how much you mean to me, Leesa. I mean... no matter what happens... I want you to know that... that... " he stutters, fumbling for right words, "that if anything were to happen to you that... I'd be lost forever! ... what I mean is.... umm.... I really care about you .... okay?"

OOC: and a Happy 4th to you and everyone else, Big G! Here's hoping that you all enjoy the holiday if you get it (or even if you don't!)

Be safe out there, good people!
:)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:Before they travel, however, he asks one of the clan magic users to see if they can detect any magical properties in and/or identify the items he pulled off of Shumar and the black robed woman.
This includes:
Two potions (from the woman)
1 dagger (from the woman)
Bracers (from Shumar)
1 thick thumb ring (from Shumar)
1 dagger (from Shumar)

Potion of Speed, Potion of Invisibility
Dagger +2 (woman)
Bracers AC 6
Thumb Ring of Protection +1
Dagger +2 (Shumar)

wolfpack wrote:did we come by any spellbooks from the black robes as well?
Yes, I forgot to mention them > both had small traveling spellbooks with similar spells:
Magic Missile, Detect Magic, Burning Hands, Shield, Shocking Grasp, Wall of Fog
Melf's Acid Arrow, Ray of Enfeeblement, Stinking Cloud, Summon Swarm, Web
Leomund's Tiny Hut, Lightning Bolt, Water Breathing
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”