Darkstar & Nokrugh > The Crags

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Darkstar & Nokrugh > The Crags

#61 Post by Argennian »

When Purvan sees Darkstar and Greystone go weapons ready and begin stalking towards the hobgoblins and the warrior they called Nokrugh below, he moves to quickly recover his thrown dagger and grab up his disabled bow. He looks over to Thaleese and makes a c'mon let's go with them motion as he does so.

"Not sure what to make of this," he offers to his young, female fellow investigator as they follow the elves and approach the humanoids and apparent half-orc. "Whatever happens, Leesa, let's back their play. And keep our eyes out for any more orcs!"
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by hedgeknight »

Leesa nods, obviously on edge about approaching the Hobgoblins and the Half-Orc. She keeps her wand in hand, displaying it openly as the group cautiously approaches.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar moves to a position where he can get a clean shot and calls out. There is no need to spill more blood on this ground.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

"Nokrugh," Greystone calls out, "interesting company you keep these days. We were told you would be coming along, but... we assumed it would be alone."

OOC: How many hobs are left, aside from the two near Nokrugh?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Argennian »

Purvan keeps his sword and throwing dagger to hand and at the ready while Darkstar and Greystone call for parley. He will be sure not to make any threatening or preemptive moves while they await an answer and/or possible explanation.

The half-elf will stay close to Thaleese and keep an alert eye on the surrounding wilderness for any signs of orcs or other potential dangers.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote:Darkstar moves to a position where he can get a clean shot and calls out. There is no need to spill more blood on this ground.
"Why should we trust a bunch of elves?" The lead Hobgoblin growls. The other three Hobgoblins grunt in agreement, gripping their weapons tight.
Alethan wrote:"Nokrugh," Greystone calls out, "interesting company you keep these days. We were told you would be coming along, but... we assumed it would be alone."
Nokrugh shrugs. "I was but ran into these...determined warriors. They say they were sent to fetch me. Something about a vision their shaman had, that I would lead them somewhere. Ain't that some shit?"

Hey fellers! Posting from my Mom's iPad in snowy Virginia. I'll check back later today!
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Computer +1 »

Sheathe your weapons or we will drop you before you ever get a chance to strike. warns Darkstar.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by hedgeknight »

The Hobgoblins shuffle their feet nervously and glance at each other, waiting for one of their companions to make a move. They look to Nokrugh who merely shrugs. "if they haven't killed you yet...it's a good sign."
The Hobgoblin speaker shakes his head...but finally drops his weapon. Reluctantly, the other three follow his lead. The leader huffs in angry humiliation and says, "What now, elf? Are we your prisoners?"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Greystone shakes his head in the negative, "What would we do with a bunch of hobs? But... What do you want with our friend here? We saw you fighting the orcs, as well. I'm sure you can understand our confusion..."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by hedgeknight »

"Our shaman had vision > said child of Man and Orc would deliver us and lead us to glory. We been waiting months to find such...then he come. Our tribe small, our shaman old and dying. We not from Crags > our home in far south, on the sea. Shaman says he guide us home before he dies...back to our people."
"Far to the south? On the sea? Do your people live on an island?" Thaleese asks, curiously.
The Hobgoblin nods. "Our home is in the Whalebone isles...to the south. If he your friend, will you go as well?"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#71 Post by Alethan »

Greystone ponders the hobgoblin's words for a moment, then asks,"Why are you so far from your homelands, er... What is your name?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by hedgeknight »

"Our shaman named me Burlstett, but my comrades call me Burl. Our tribe sailed north, summoned to war by the One Chief of our people in this region. We battled the Orc and Goblin tribes, fought the stinking Gnolls, and were broken on the spears of the giant-kin. Our tribe is proud, but now we are few. Almost all our young warriors are dead. It is time to go home for we are strangers here. We belong on the sea where Umberlee the Bitch Queen holds sway! Our shaman is very wise, but also very aged. He wishes to die in our homeland, not in these fracking hills. Come with us > meet our people. Help us get home."

Cumber spits at Burl's feet. "The only help I'll be giving a bunch of Hobs is to send them straight to hell!" He looks at Darkstar and Greystone. "Tell me you feel the same."
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar lowers his bow and puts the nocked arrow away. I see no reason to add to the blood spilled already. If you wish to go then you should be given leave to Burlsett of the Whalebone Isles. Nokrugh, where does your path lay? He quietly says to the group around him, Where does our path lay? The Lady spoke of a ally joining us but she didnt say where we should go...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#74 Post by Alethan »

Greystone likewise puts down his bow, letting out a deep and powerful sigh.

He slowly nods his head, "I agree with Darkstar. Too much blood has been spilled of late. Our enemies have put down their swords, so I will put down my bow."

He turns to Cumber, fully expecting the other elf to react poorly to this idea, and quickly adds, "They are not welcome in our lands, so let us guide them back to theirs. Then we will all be satisfied, cousin."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote:Darkstar lowers his bow and puts the nocked arrow away. I see no reason to add to the blood spilled already. If you wish to go then you should be given leave to Burlsett of the Whalebone Isles. Nokrugh, where does your path lay? He quietly says to the group around him, Where does our path lay? The Lady spoke of a ally joining us but she didnt say where we should go...
Nokrugh sheathes his bloodied bastard sword and says, I received a vision from the mighty Ilneval whilst in Grunwald. The vision led me to believe I should travel to the coast. In my vision I could smell the salty spray of the sea and feel the swaying deck of a ship 'neath my feet. I will heed the voice of Ilneval and go with Burlstett to help his people.

Thaleese looks around nervously and says, "I wish to see the stone archway in the woods. It is what Purvan and I were sent to do. But..." she looks at Purvan and shrugs.
"...there is no reason we can't help Burl and his tribe too. Perhaps they can accompany us. After all, the path to the sea leads past Neverwinter Woods, does it not?"
Alethan wrote:Greystone turns to Cumber, "They are not welcome in our lands, so let us guide them back to theirs. Then we will all be satisfied, cousin."
Wood bristles, but Cumber puts a hand on her arm. "You've spent too much time among those of lesser stock, it seems, cousin. What makes these Hobs and half-breeds so dear to you that you would risk the ire of the Elders?
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#76 Post by Alethan »

Greystone gives his most sincere look to Cumber and replies in Elven, "I do not have any love for the Uruk breeds, cousin. Nor do I have any love for wanton killing. More than anything else, all of this fighting and killing I've experienced the last fortnight has taught me a different kind of respect for life. Every time I kill something, it seems easier to do. I feel like I could quickly lose my sense of self if I did not keep that in check. Or maybe it was our meeting with the Lady of the Forest that brought forth this feeling. I cannot explain it further, except to say if there is a path for resolution that reduces the amount of death I bring during my lifetime, then I am happy to take that path."

Switching back to common, he adds, "I will not, however," he looks at Thaleese, "lead them through Neverwinter Woods. That would be death to us all."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Argennian »

Purvan carefully considers the forced parley and ensuing conversation as it unfolds. After reassuring himself that there are no more orcs creeping about, he turns to eye the hobgoblins. He does not take his eyes off of them and is ready to spring into action if Darkstar and Greystone do. He keeps his sword to hand and at the ready, albeit lowered for now...

hedgeknight wrote:... Thaleese looks around nervously and says, "I wish to see the stone archway in the woods. It is what Purvan and I were sent to do. But..." she looks at Purvan and shrugs.
"...there is no reason we can't help Burl and his tribe too. Perhaps they can accompany us. After all, the path to the sea leads past Neverwinter Woods, does it not?"
Purvan nods in confirmation as he looks his young companion in the eye. He attempts to soften his usually emotionless demeanor and smiles. "The only reason I can think of for why we shouldn't help them is that we have a mission of our own already, Leesa. The danger we investigate here is great and immediate, we know that now. We must not forsake our sworn oath and duty, not to our benefactors and not to... The Lady, if it can be helped. They have chosen us, and so they are counting on us. In honor and stead of those that have been lost to us, we need to see that through before all else..."
Alethan wrote:Greystone gives his most sincere look to Cumber and replies in Elven, "I do not have any love for the Uruk breeds, cousin. Nor do I have any love for wanton killing. More than anything else, all of this fighting and killing I've experienced the last fortnight has taught me a different kind of respect for life. Every time I kill something, it seems easier to do. I feel like I could quickly lose my sense of self if I did not keep that in check. Or maybe it was our meeting with the Lady of the Forest that brought forth this feeling. I cannot explain it further, except to say if there is a path for resolution that reduces the amount of death I bring during my lifetime, then I am happy to take that path."

Switching back to common, he adds, "I will not, however," he looks at Thaleese, "lead them through Neverwinter Woods. That would be death to us all."

When Greystone switches to common and turns to Thaleese, the half-elf investigator steps forward and nods. "It's yours and Darkstar's call here, Greystone. We'll support your decision is in this, whatever it be. The quicker we get back to our original mission, the better!"

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by hedgeknight »

Argennian wrote:Purvan nods in confirmation as he looks his young companion in the eye. He attempts to soften his usually emotionless demeanor and smiles. "The only reason I can think of for why we shouldn't help them is that we have a mission of our own already, Leesa. The danger we investigate here is great and immediate, we know that now. We must not forsake our sworn oath and duty, not to our benefactors and not to... The Lady, if it can be helped. They have chosen us, and so they are counting on us. In honor and stead of those that have been lost to us, we need to see that through before all else..."

Thaleese listens and nods in agreement at the end of Purvan's explanation. "You're right, of course. There are things we must do." She gives the Hobgoblins a somewhat apologetic look, then awaits what the elves will say to Purvan's last statement.

Nokrugh listens to all of the conversations, quietly contemplating what he must do. Then, with a curt nod to himself, he lifts his head and says, "Friends, I cannot speak for you, but Ilneval showed me my destiny and I believe it to be with Burl and his people. I know that is not where your paths may lie and I respect that. You are welcome to come along, and should you change your minds, I have little doubt you could find our trail."
The burly Half-Orc then offers his hand to Greystone and Darkstar. "We did good by the people of Grunwald, didn't we? Perhaps our paths will cross again some day. Until then, axe high!"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Greystone nods at the half-orc and says, "Aye, it might be best if you lead these hobs to their destination while we continue with our own tasks, Nokrugh."

As he raises his forearm to the horc in a warrior's salute, he adds, "You would be wise to avoid Neverwinter woods all together. We could not vouch for your safety should you cut through it on your way to the coast, as we will be occupied with the search for the stone portals."

Greystone does not let down his guard until the hobgoblins are out of sight. Then, without another word, he begins searching the bodies of the orcs for anything of value. Once that is done, he waits for everyone to gather up to make their way back to Neverwinter Woods.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar nods at Nokrugh's words. Our paths have crossed twice now, perhaps they will again in the future. Best of luck to you Nokrugh and to you and your tribe as well Burlsett. May you find your home and live in peace.

When the hobs leave Darkstar sits down. The days of constant running with no rest have left him exhausted. With the adrenaline of the fight fading he is having trouble keeping his eyes open.

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”