Darkstar & Nokrugh > The Crags

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Darkstar & Nokrugh > The Crags

#41 Post by Argennian »

Not having another bowstring, Purvan gently tosses his disabled short bow off to the side with a muttered oath of futility concerning his ill-timed bad luck. He draws his longsword and one of his daggers.

When the oncoming orcs close enough, Purvan will target one and throw his dagger before preparing to meet them in melee immediately afterward with his longsword...

To Hit, Dagger: thrown (+2 fr/ Dex bonus)[1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20 (hits AC0), Damage vs small/medium [1d4] = 3
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by hedgeknight »

On a ridge not too far away...

Greystone picks out a charging Orc and lets fly with two arrows, hitting nothing but air. Darkstar switches his point of attack from the Hobgoblins to the incoming Orcs. He quickly puts three arrows in the air, but only one manages to graze his Orc target. Not having another bowstring, Purvan gently tosses his disabled short bow off to the side with a muttered oath of futility concerning his ill-timed bad luck. He draws his longsword and one of his daggers...and hurls the dagger as the Orcs close. The dagger drills one of the Orcs high its chest, sending it flailing back down the hill where it holds onto a tree to keep standing.

Cumber and Wood start firing arrows into the charging Orcs, double-teaming one of the creatures, dropping it before it reaches your position. Behind you, Thaleese pulls a small patch of red cloth from a pouch at her belt. "Stand back!" she yells. "I'm not sure what this will do!" And then she begins to chant...and as the red cloth magically disappears in a poof of smoke, a swarm of bats erupts from the shell of a dead tree trunk nearby...and engulfs three of the charging Orcs! The creatures scream and flail around, but there is no disrupting the swarm.

Round 5

The Orcs will be upon you within seconds, but it's time enough for Greystone to kill one of the closest ones with two arrows to the chest! Darkstar targets one of the Orcs down the slope, dropping it with a single well-placed shot, while his other two arrows are off target. Cumber and Wood unleash hell upon the Orcs, drilling two of them, leaving them twitching in death as their comrades pass them by! http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4301738/
While Purvan steps up to meet an Orc foe with steel, the remaining Orcs charge in converging on Cumber and Wood, wounding Cumber with a vicious slash to his ribs! http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4301744/

Down the slope...

The three Hobgoblins brace for the charging Orcs, and lay into them with savage fury, dropping two easily. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4301746/ The Orcs respond killing H5 and then moving on toward Nokrugh and the other two Hobgoblins near him. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4301751/

Alright fellers > I need actions from Purvan and Nokrugh for Round 5 and then Round 6 actions from everybody!!

Stats:
Nokrugh - 26/28
Cumber > down 8 hp
Attachments
Ridge Battle 2.JPG
Ridge Battle 2.JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar fires at the Orcs engaging Cumber and Wood, they are the most outnumbered at the moment.

Attack:
[1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22[1d6] = 6
Attack:
[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16[1d6] = 1
Attack:
[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16[1d6] = 4

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

Computer +1 wrote:Darkstar fires at the Orcs engaging Cumber and Wood, they are the most outnumbered at the moment.
Attack:
[1d20+4] = 18+4 = 22[1d6] = 6
Attack:
[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16[1d6] = 1
Attack:
[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16[1d6] = 4
You drop the one behind Cumber with ease with your first shot, but you're going to be firing into melee with your next two shots, with a chance to hit Cumber and Wood > are you sure you want to fire?
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by hedgeknight »

You mean the one standing in front of Purvan? Cause the one in front of Greystone is already dead from arrows.
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar will switch, if possible, to any open target not in melee.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

hedgeknight wrote:You mean the one standing in front of Purvan? Cause the one in front of Greystone is already dead from arrows.

Yes, the one in front of him and to the right; that appears to be the closest living orc...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Argennian »

Round 5
Purvan meets the orc charging at him with gritted teeth and a swing of his short sword...

To Hit: short sword [1d20] = 18 (hits AC2), Damage vs small/med creatures [1d8] = 6

Round 6
Assuming that his previous blow does the orc in, the young half-elf investigator will then move to engage the next closest of the remaining orcs, likely the ones that are attacking Cumber and Wood...

To Hit: short sword [1d20] = 7 (miss), Damage vs small/med creatures [1d8] = 3

OOC: sorry for the delay here, all! :(

Q: if Purvan ended up doing in the orc in front of him in Round 5, could Greystone use his Round 6 attack versus one of the orcs engaging Cumber and Wood?
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by hedgeknight »

Round 5 (cont...)

Purvan meets the orc charging at him with gritted teeth and a swing of his short sword...gutting the creature and stepping out of the way as it falls toward him.

Round 6

Wary of hitting his comrades, Darkstar looks downhill and begins picking out Orc targets. He drops the first with a well-placed shot, and then kills another with two more arrows.

Seeing the Orc charge toward Thaleese, Purvan turns to help, but Greystone rushes to intercept it and cuts it down with a powerful swing of his longsword.

Grateful for the help, the young half-elf investigator moves to engage the Orcs that are attacking Cumber and Wood. He moves up and jabs at one of them, but misses. Cumber and Wood attack too, but neither is able to hit their foe. Cumber & Wood: [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10, [1d8] = 4, [1d20+1] = 2+1 = 3, [1d8] = 5

The Orcs retaliate, delivering a hard blow to Cumber, knocking the elf down. Wood cries out to her mate while blocking the attack leveled against her. Orcs attack: [1d20] = 15, [1d8] = 3, [1d20] = 2, [1d8] = 1

Down the hill...

While Nokrugh scratches his nuts, the Hobgoblins attack. H4 & H6 trap the one Orc not pegged by Darkstar's arrows and cut it down. H1 & H2 fight the remaining Orcs but neither force is able to damage the other...

Stats:
Nokrugh - 26/28
Cumber > down 11 hp

ACTIONS!!

@ rtdersch
> I'm temporarily taking over Nokrugh for this battle. Will turn control of him back over to you after it is finished.
Attachments
Ridge Battle 3.JPG
Ridge Battle 3.JPG (60.57 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#51 Post by Alethan »

Initiative [1d10] = 9

Greystone attempts to go after the orc that struck Cumber...

To Hit, Longsword [1d20+2] = 7+2 = 9

... But is unable to get through his defenses.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Computer +1 »

With only a few Orcs still fighting and no clear shot Darkstar breaks from his position and quickly moves to aid Cumber. He draws his knife and moves to engage hand to hand.

I don't know if I can make it this round so I will hold off rolling

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by hedgeknight »

Round 7

As Darkstar breaks off from flinging arrows down the hillside, rushing to help his elven friends, Greystone steps up alongside Cumber, trying to prevent the Orc from killing the wounded ranger. The Orc, however, switches its guard and blocks Greystone's sword. But...this leaves it open to a deadly swipe from Cumber, who guts the Orc like a deer! A few feet away, Wood finishes off her Orc foe with a slash to its throat. Cumber & Wood: [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21, [1d8] = 3, [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14, [1d8] = 7

"Thank you, cousins," Cumber says weakly as Darkstar hurries up beside Greystone. "How fare's the rest of the battle?"

Down the hill...

While the other Hobgoblins move in, H1 & H2 attack the remaining Orcs, only hitting one of them for minimal damage. Nokrugh steps into one and swings his bastard sword, but doesn't even get close. The Orcs, being seriously outnumbered and somewhat cowardly to begin with, do the very thing one would expect Orcs to do > they scream and run away! (Of course, some of the Hobgoblins give chase, run them down, hack and maim...you get the picture.)

Looking down the hill, Greystone, Darkstar, and Purvan see the Orcs flee and some of the Hobgoblins give chase, while two Hobgoblins remain near Nokrugh, tense and looking UP at the elves on the ridge. The two groups stare at each other for a few seconds before Thaleese breaks the silence, "The Orcs in the bat swarm are almost dead. Should I dismiss the bats or let them continue to feed?"

Stats:
Nokrugh - 26/28
Cumber > down 11 hp
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

Greystone glances down at the orcs in the bat swarm and sneers, "Let them feed..."

He looks to Cumber and Wood and asks, "You two OK?" Then he turns to watch the orcs and hobgoblins fight.

"There is Nokrugh, with the hobs," he adds with a frown, unsure of what to make of the situation.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by hedgeknight »

Cumber tries to stand but can't. "Not bad...how 'bout one of them healing potions?"
Wood nods and looks down the hill. "You think we should kill them too?" jerking her chin at the Hobgoblins and Half-Orc.
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by Alethan »

Greystone nods and quickly retrieves one of the two potions he has and passes it down to Cumber. "Here, friend."

He turns back to watching the hobgoblins and shakes his head, "Not sure. We might have to wait and see what Nokrugh does. Be prepared for more fighting."

Greystone sheathes his sword and readies an arrow as he slowly approaches the hobgoblins and half orc.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:... Looking down the hill, Greystone, Darkstar, and Purvan see the Orcs flee and some of the Hobgoblins give chase, while two Hobgoblins remain near Nokrugh, tense and looking UP at the elves on the ridge. The two groups stare at each other for a few seconds before Thaleese breaks the silence, "The Orcs in the bat swarm are almost dead. Should I dismiss the bats or let them continue to feed?" ...
Alethan wrote:Greystone glances down at the orcs in the bat swarm and sneers, "Let them feed..." ...
Purvan turns and nods in agreement at Greystone's proffered opinion. "Indeed..."

The young half-elf looks over to Thaleese, a wave of relief washing over him as he realizes that she's alright as well. "Well done, Leesa! Where did you learn that trick?" he queries of her with a playful wink.

Seeing that the orc threat is undone, but also unsure what's up with the Hobgoblins and the one they called Nokrugh down below, Purvan looks on to see what will happen next.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Computer +1 »

A very haggard looking Darkstar clasps Cumber on the shoulder. My thanks, your coin saved the day. Your debt is paid friends Cumber and Wood although I am sorry that you were caused injury from it. To everyone he says My thanks to you all, I thought my time was drawing to an end.... he looks towards the hobgoblins let us see to Nokrugh...

He nocks an arrow and stalks towards the hobgoblins but does not fire yet.

rtdersch
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by rtdersch »

Nokrugh turns to the remaining hobgoblins and in an angry tone say's "Why do you seek me out? Explain yourselves!" Motioning to the hill above he states, "Those are elves up there and for now they've stayed their arrows, but if I know elves and I do have experience with their kind, they're deciding right now whether or not to finish what they started with those orcs so be quick!"
Nökrugh - Level 2 Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker) - Hedges Forgotten Realms HP 29/29 AC:3

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by hedgeknight »

Cumber gulps down the healing potion from Greystone and instantly begins to feel better. Healing potion [2d4+2] = 6+2 = 8
The young half-elf looks over to Thaleese, a wave of relief washing over him as he realizes that she's alright as well. "Well done, Leesa! Where did you learn that trick?" he queries of her with a playful wink.
Thaleese smiles and blushes slightly. "It was one of the new spells I learned before leaving Longsaddle. It's the first time I've cast it." Then her smile fades. "I didn't realize how brutal it could be though..."

Computer +1 wrote:A very haggard looking Darkstar clasps Cumber on the shoulder. My thanks, your coin saved the day. Your debt is paid friends Cumber and Wood although I am sorry that you were caused injury from it. To everyone he says My thanks to you all, I thought my time was drawing to an end.... he looks towards the hobgoblins let us see to Nokrugh...

Cumber and Wood return Darkstar's greeting and Cumber says, "No thanks needed, cousin. Just glad I didn't come on my own. I believe those are the Orcs we have been hearing about. We might need to pay their camp a visit." He grins and the gleam in his eyes speak of future bloodshed.
Darkstar nods and then the group (assuming everyone follows) begins to walk down the hill, weapons ready, arrows drawn.

rtdersch wrote:Nokrugh turns to the remaining hobgoblins and in an angry tone say's "Why do you seek me out? Explain yourselves!" Motioning to the hill above he states, "Those are elves up there and for now they've stayed their arrows, but if I know elves and I do have experience with their kind, they're deciding right now whether or not to finish what they started with those orcs so be quick!"

The two Hobgoblins spare a glance up the hill, turn to face the oncoming elves, and respond to Nokrugh. H1 says, "Our shaman had vision > said child of Man and Orc would deliver us and lead us to glory. We been waiting months to find such...then you come. Our tribe small, our shaman old and dying. We not from Crags > our home in far south, on the sea. Shaman says you guide us home before he dies...back to our people."
While Nokrugh chews on this information, the other two Hobgoblins return from running down the fleeing Orc and also, the elves approach even closer. Nokrugh has to smile when he recognizes familiar faces...
Actions?

Stats:
Nokrugh - 26/28
Cumber > down 3 hp
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”