Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Neverwinter Woods - Spring 1358 DR

#221 Post by hedgeknight »

"It shall be so," her voice says as she begins to fade away...

Nice work fellers > great posts and comments > 100 xp for everyone!
Now...actions?
Winter is coming...

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#222 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar feels joy and relief. He can't contain a smile as he puts the arrow in his quiver with the other magical arrows. The normally quiet elf can't help his excitement from bubbling over. My father hunts with Gwaeron Windstrom and serves the Oak Father! I am sure that there are none the can match my father's bow even in the afterlife! I wish I could see him on the hunt again. When his arrows fly they always fly true. He is animated with excitement and is almost hopping from one foot to the other. And the Lady! To see the Lady! His face flushes red.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by hedgeknight »

Thaleese wipes fresh tears from her face as Darkstar speaks about his father. "Isn't she wonderful? I've never really had time for the gods...but yesterday my life changed, and today...well, I've found my faith. Or rather, she found me."
Her face glows like that of a child upon receiving a handful of sweet treats at Moonfest. "And she gave me this acorn. She said to use it only when I found myself about to be swept away and needed to firmly anchored. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure I will when the time comes."

She puts the acorn in a pouch at her belt and looks up at the rest of you. "Who is this friend that is coming to find us? Should we wait for him?"
Winter is coming...

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Argennian »

hedgeknight wrote:... She then walks to Purvan and smiles. "Why do you hide who your heritage, young investigator? Everyone has secrets > best to choose which ones are worth hiding and allow the others to fly free." As she says this, she cups her hand under the dripping leaves of a nearby sapling. The raindrops gather in her palm and begin to shine brightly and solidify into a mirror-like object. Still smiling, she places the oval disc into Purvan's palm. "To help you see clearly." ...
When the Lady of the Forest approaches Purvan, he fights the desire to fall to his knees and begin weeping. He bows to one knee out of respect and awe, and tries to look down at the ground to avoid her gaze, but cannot. When she hands him the mirror-like oval disk, he takes it in his trembling hand. "My most humble gratitude Great Lady of the Wood," is all he can seem to muster, as he shakes in both excitement and fear from being so close to an immortal.

He watches as she places the accorn in Thaleese's hand and thinks to ask her a question about the oval disk and just how it should be used. But seeing the manner of the two elves nearby, he cannot find the words to do so. Perhaps it will be made known to me? he thinks to himself.
hedgeknight wrote:Thaleese wipes fresh tears from her face as Darkstar speaks about his father. "Isn't she wonderful? I've never really had time for the gods...but yesterday my life changed, and today...well, I've found my faith. Or rather, she found me."
Her face glows like that of a child upon receiving a handful of sweet treats at Moonfest. "And she gave me this acorn. She said to use it only when I found myself about to be swept away and needed to firmly anchored. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure I will when the time comes."
"She is indeed, Leesa. Divinely wonderful, I would offer," the young half-elf proffers as he looks from the oval disk in his hands to the accorn in hers as she describes what was told to her.
hedgeknight wrote:She puts the acorn in a pouch at her belt and looks up at the rest of you. "Who is this friend that is coming to find us? Should we wait for him?"
Purvan shrugs innocently. "I know not, perhaps our elf-friends may know?" he replies, looking curiously to both Greystone and Darkstar.

hedgeknight wrote:... Nice work fellers > great posts and comments > 100 xp for everyone! ...
OOC: adding first 100xp! :P
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#225 Post by Alethan »

Greystone chews on the inside of his cheek for a moment while he ponders the Lady's words.

"Well, I assume she wasn't referring to Tarrin," he begins. "Otherwise, we left several companions to take their own paths after the defeat of the shapeshifters. Mayhaps one of them has found his path to align with ours once more?"

He turns to Darkstar and asks, "What do you think, cousin? Should we backtrack a bit and try to meet up with them? Or wait here? Or... hope they can catch up with us at the Lynx village?" Before Darkstar can respond, he adds, "I'd hate for whomever it is to stumble upon the orcs what marked that path we found earlier or whatever that big thing was by the pond near the cabin."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#226 Post by Computer +1 »

Darkstar's excitement fades along with his smile as the groups real world decisions loom over them. He thinks for a moment before answering in common. The news we take to the clan will impact many, our companion is but one person. He readies his gear for travel and switches to Sylvan. Cousin, I will backtrack our trail to help whoever is coming to avoid the orcs. You should take the others to your clan and speak with your elders. The news you bring is too important to wait and you know the way to the Lynx clan.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#227 Post by Alethan »

Greystone considers Darkstar's words carefully before slowly nodding his head.

"OK, cousin. You be careful."

He looks to Purvan and Thaleese and asks, "Does that sound good to you two? If so, let's waste no more time sitting here chatting..."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Argennian »

Although he is initially nervous when Greystone looks to Darkstar and tells him to be careful, Purvan says nothing. He starts to put his hat back on but stops and smiles. He looks to both the elves with an honest demeanor that he's never really shown any other. Guess being in the presence of a god will make you do crazy stuff like that.

He addresses them both in elvish. "You both know these woods better than we do, half-cousins. And I now have proof that you are both on a mission of divine and just purpose," he admits knowingly, looking down at the beautiful and mysterious oval disk. Thankfully, his hand is no longer shaking.

The young half-elf looks to Thaleese and smiles at her. "So whatever you think is best we do first," he continues in common. "And I see no further need for secrets between us, so I will come clean with what I know. I hail from Neverwinter, as does my benefactor. She is an Elder Reader from the House of Knowledge there. She sent me to accompany Thaleese and her companions, whom hail from Longsaddle. Their teacher and my mistress are... very trusted old friends. I was charged with accompanying them into the wood, to seek out the source of the disturbances that keep occurring. My mistress believes them to be magical in nature, and that their source is a very old, magical gateway of some kind. She said it was placed there ages ago, in a time long forgotten," he details, looking to the elves to see if they elicit any reactions of familiarity.

"Anyways, that's all I know. I am to gather information on the gateway and return to her as soon as I can. Those are... my orders," Purvan confesses, with a nervous and anxious look over at Thaleese.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#229 Post by Computer +1 »

After Greystone's words Darkstar begins to leave. Purvan's speaking causes him to slow and the mention of the gateway makes him stop. He turns around to face the half elf. I have seen the gateway. Friend Tarrin arrived here through it. His appearance was the beginning of the chain of events leading me to this point. He starts to move off again and says over his shoulder, I will take you to the gateway when we meet again.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#230 Post by Alethan »

No more words necessary, Greystone gives a nod to Darkstar as he leaves, then looks at the others to make sure they are ready before making his way west again.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by hedgeknight »

Thaleese listens to Purvan's explanation and then clears her throat. "I was sent to do likewise > investigate the arch or gate or whatever it is and report back to my master in Longsaddle. He gave me instructions to map the area and sketch, in as much detail as possible, the archway. He believes it...may be connected to other such portals in the Realms."

Greystone nods and after Darkstar departs, leads the group out of the clearing and into the deep woods, heading westward. The journey is not too arduous, but is somewhat uphill, and it is well into the next day when Greystone begins to recognize familiar territory. It is not long after dawn when the group is met by a patrol of wood elves and two giant lynxes, just as they are walking along a ridge about five miles from the location of the camp. The wood elves are battle-ready, but relax somewhat when they see Greystone.
"In the name of the Elders, what brings you home, cousin?" a wood elf asks, stroking the ears of a giant Lynx. The speaker is a female > a pretty one too, and Greystone's heart stops beating for a few seconds when he sees her. It is Lianalee...a lover long past.
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#232 Post by Alethan »

Greystone, having not seen Lianalee since before he was tortured by the gnolls, finds himself unable to meet her eyes. He reaches up and touches the scars on the side of his face without even thinking about it.

"I..." he stammers, obviously thrown off by her presence, "I return from my mission, Li," he finally manages to get out, using her nickname. "I have important news for the council - news of both good fortune and forewarning," he adds. "Darkstar should be along in a day or two. These are our new traveling companions..." he continues, introducing the other members of the party to the patrol.

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Argennian »

When Purvan sees the Wood elf patrol and the giant lynxes emerge to confront them, he drops his bow and readied arrow and throws up his hands. He looks back to Thaleese to ensure that she does not have her wand or any other weapons to hand.

Once he and Thaleese are introduced, he lowers his hands and removes his hat, bowing to the beautiful female Wood elf warrior that Greystone addresses. "I am Purvan. Purvan Vanician from Neverwinter," he offers, hoping that his half-breed status will not elicit any negativity among them.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by hedgeknight »

The wood elves spare glances at Purvan and Thaleese, but remain silent. Two of them, however, speak to Greystone, welcoming him back. "Safe travels, cousin?" a lanky elf named Blue asks, walking over and grasping Greystone by the arm.
"Looks like he's been out saving half-breeds and humans," sneers another elf, covered from chest to foot in mud. His name is Trell and he's never really been a friend.

Lianalee shakes her head at Trell and turns to lead the group through the woods toward the Lynx camp. Even though it is five miles, Greystone could walk it blindfolded. Along the way, Lianalee finds time to walk alone with Greystone. "I missed you at Winter's re-birth. I arrived the day after you left. Everyone was talking about you and your companions." A mile or so later, her tone changes. "Tell me, true > do you trust this breed and human we are walking into our homeland? How do you know what they say about themselves is not a lie? We've heard there are black robed figures prowling the wood. Maybe they are allies with them. Summer will want to question them."

While Greystone and Lianalee walk along together, the other wood elves "guard" the two newcomers into their realm. They rarely speak to Purvan or Thaleese except to grunt a one word reply to any questions they might have. But when one of the giant lynxes takes an interest in Thaleese, she flinches away from the beast. "Worry not, human," Trell says with a devilish grin. "Sunshine isn't hungry - she had her fill of human last night."
"Stop it, Trell," says another elf, one of the others who has not spoken since meeting your group. "Do not be afraid of her. She's just curious."
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#235 Post by Alethan »

Greystone ignores Trell's taunting, as he always does. But this time he has supreme confidence that Trell will be eating his words when he updates the council of his actions during the last few weeks. He greets the other elves warmly.

When Li questions him on trusting the half-kin and the human, he replies, "The council has already found trust in my judgement on bringing a hrugh* and a dwarf into our woods. I'm not nearly as worried about the half-kin and the woman. Besides," he adds, looking down at his wrist. And then he pauses, as he notes the tattoo-like green vines have spread down to the back of his hand and half-way up his forearm...

"I, um...," he pauses, both distracted by the visible marks left from using the bracelet and wondering if Li would even believe his encounter with the Lady of the Forest, then decides against it, for now. "I have it on good authority that these two can be trusted. Do not worry, Li. I cannot speak more of it now, but all will be revealed at the council meeting."

*slang term for half-orc

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by hedgeknight »

"Your word is good, my friend," Lianalee replies and then runs ahead and leads your group into the wood elven camp of the Lynx clan. As you walk into the camp proper, you several elves and a few giant lynxes in the trees and along the way to greet you. Many call out to Greystone by name and there are even a few hoots and hard looks toward Purvan and Thaleese. You follow the wood elves toward a huge oak that has to be one of the largest you've seen. Greystone's heart swells at the sight of it, knowing he is home at last. And then the wood elves part to reveal a striking elf wearing a gown of rich yellow. She smiles at seeing Greystone and walks forward, her hands outstretched to greet him. "You cannot stay away for very long, can you?" Summer takes his hands in hers and kisses him lightly on the forehead. "You must be hungry and tired. A bath and some food will do you good. Even these strangers whom you insist on bringing to our camp." The last is spoken with a tight grin, but Greystone knows it is a gentle rebuke. "So, who are these newcomers to our wood?"
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#237 Post by Alethan »

Greystone takes Summer's hand and touches it to his lips as he gives her a slight bow, replying in a quiet voice, "Cannot stay away? Are you trying to be rid of me?" He asks the question with a smile, to show his jest, but as the words leave his mouth, the small seed of doubt is planted in the subconscious of his mind...

"My apologies, once again, for bringing strangers into our home, Summer. I won't promise this to be the last time," he adds, louder, and with another grin. "Darkstar should be along in a few days; he is currently attempting to converge with another member of our party. Unfortunately, the wild human, Tarrin, has decided to seek his fate on his own, returning to his homeland after... complications with failed conflict resolution."

Releasing her hand, Greystone extends an arm in the direction of the other two and announces, "Elder Summer, I present to you half-kin Purvan Vanician of the City of Skilled Hands, on loan to us from the Temple of Oghma's House of Knowedge. His human companion is Thaleese of Longsaddle, also from the Temple of Oghma. Both claim to be sent to research the recent disturbances in Neverwinter Woods."

He pauses for a moment, as if to compose his thoughts, then continues, "Normally I would not take such words at face value, but..." He takes a deep breath, "if the Lady of the Forest can put her trust in them, then I shall do so, as well."

"I think it would be best to assemble the Council of Elders, Lady Summer, before saying anything more. There is a lot to discuss - the demise of the Beast Lord and his servants, hooded men seeking the magical stone gates, and a new threat in the eastern woods - and I think they would like to be the first to hear of it in the whole."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by Argennian »

Purvan looks over at Trell when he snipes the wisecrack at Greystone but says anything nor dons any kind of look upon his visage that might elicit a reaction. He stays close to Thaleese during their trek to the Wood elf camp, to reassure and make her feel more comfortable. It makes him feel more comfortable to be close to her anyways. Being in such close proximity to the giant lynxes makes him nervous but he does his best to settle his nerves and focus on the bigger picture.

When they enter the Lynx camp, Purvan takes in the surroundings with a curious sense of wonderment. When Greystone meets with the beautiful elf maiden in the decadent yellow gown, the young half-elf tries not to stare. He looks over to Thaleese to gauge her reaction.

When the two of them are introduced, Purvan removes his hat and bows to Summer. "At your service, mistress," is all he can think to offer at the moment.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by hedgeknight »

Alethan wrote:"Normally I would not take such words at face value, but..." He takes a deep breath, "if the Lady of the Forest can put her trust in them, then I shall do so, as well."
Summer pauses and then...giggles. "What are you suggesting, cousin? That you actually spoke to the Lady of the Forest?"
"I think it would be best to assemble the Council of Elders, Lady Summer, before saying anything more. There is a lot to discuss - the demise of the Beast Lord and his servants, hooded men seeking the magical stone gates, and a new threat in the eastern woods - and I think they would like to be the first to hear of it in the whole."
"I agree, and the elders are already waiting us in my chambers. I was told of your coming by...a little bird."
She smiles again and walks ahead, ignoring Purvan and Thaleese.

Several wood elven children and a few young adults gather around the half-elf investigator and his human companion. Their demeanor seems to be one of curiosity, but there are a few sour faces and terse whisperings. After a few moments, a young wood elf steps forward and says, "Greetings and welcome. I am Rin > are you friends of Greystone? Where is Neverwinter? And who is Oghma?"

Greystone follows Summer, winding along the trunk of the huge oak tree and finally coming to her private chambers. Two wood elven guards stand on either side of the door that actually leads inside the oak tree, and Summer opens the door without hesitating, inviting Greystone along. Inside, the chamber is lavishly decorated in colors befitting the Elder > yellows and greens, rich blues for the summer sky, and flowers of red and purple. Seated along the far wall are the other Elders of the Lynx Clan.
Spring, a striking female dressed in a shimmering green gown; Autumn, an aging male who wears his russet robes elegantly; and newly born Winter, wearing an ice blue smock.
Summer gives each a slight bow of her head as she takes her seat between Spring and Autumn. "Now, please give us your report."
Winter is coming...

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#240 Post by Alethan »

In complete seriousness, Greystone replies, "Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying..." He maintains a somber look as he gives her a nod, then waits to follow her to the council meeting.

Entering the room, Greystone nods to each of the council members in turn. Then he kneels on a mat before them, rests his hands on his thighs, and begins relaying to them all that befell the party. He recaps the following points:
- returning to the barbarian village and saving the king with the elven slipper
- the slaying of the two shape-shifters and the secret tunnel from the king's chamber
- accompanying the king and several of his kinsmen to hunt down the Beast Lord
- meeting up with the hermit and the gifts provided the party (at this point, Greystone points out his bracelet and the tattoo-like lines that have appeared on his wrist and fore-arm, though he does not yet mention who created the bracelet)
- the journey to the Beast Lord's lair, including fighting with the ogres/wolves in the grove and sneaking into the cavern
- the fight with the Beast Lord and his female companion and underlings; Greystone does not fail to mention the assistance he received when he used the bracelet to ask for aid

At that point, he pauses and requests some hot tea to refresh his throat before he continues. Greystone is not used to speaking this many words in one sitting.

After his throat is soothed, he continues, continuing to provide highlights on:
- returning to the hermit, and the hermit's warnings about the hooded humans in Neverwinter woods searching out magical stone gates
- the manor house in the woods with the warg and goblin activity (he does not mention the hag at this point)
- the fight with the giant, and the ensuing fight with Tarrin for endangering the party with his reckless actions
- finding the pond to make camp and then being drawn to the sounds of fighting
- noting the wyvern flying overhead and dropping a body
- meeting the human and the half-kin
- Tarrin leaving in the middle of the night
- continuing on the next day and finding the orc sign for water (he does not mention who accurately translated the sign, however) and the semi-fresh tracks

Once again, Greystone pauses in his recap of the events that have taken place since he left the village weeks before.

"We decided to, umm... avoid the orcs if possible, so we backtracked a bit and circled arou-" he stops abruptly, eyes going wide, and blurts out, "Darkstar! I did not remind him to make a wide circle around their trail sign!" He stops, mouth opened as if he wants to continue, but shakes his head, saying, "No... he would remember to avoid them, I'm sure."

Then, picking up where he left off, he continues, "we circled around to avoid the possible conflict, knowing our mission to return here with information was our priority. A bit later, Darkstar spotted a doe some distance away. Our provisions were low, so he decided to try and bring it down. His shot was true, but the deer sprang into the woods none-the-less."

"We quickly followed its trail, leaving the human and half-kin to try and keep up. It entered a dense thicket, and so we did, as well. But..." he pauses, staring at Winter, momentarily at a loss for words.

"But when we entered the small grove, we did not spy a wounded doe. Instead..." his eyes almost become vacant, or maybe dreamy, as he tries to provide clarity to the most ethereal encounter of his life. "The blood trail became flowers and... vines. It smelled as if... it was like... like the smell of lightning after it strikes a tree, only... more intense. And mingled with jasmine and..." he pauses, realizing he is rambling.

Trying to collect his thoughts, he continues, "There was no wounded doe. Instead, light shone from the most radiant figure ever... and she spoke to us, her words like butterflies touching our cheeks. I... I think we prostrated ourselves, maybe even before we realized who she was. Darkstar came to the realization first. It was the Lady of the Forest! They discussed his father and..." he wracks his brain to try and remember more details about the meeting, "then she told us about a new evil in Neverwinter Woods - a hag come from afar to spread trouble. I correctly surmised that the old manor house we'd passed a few days back might be her hideout and she concurred. She said it was our destiny to face her, but that we were not yet ready for the task."

"But, she wanted to gift us items for the labors she knew we would have ahead of us. She gave each of us an arrow." He retrieves the magical arrow from his quiver and sets it before him, using her own words for explanation as to what it does. "She told me she had also crafted this bracelet, knowing the hermit would eventually put it in my hands. She even... she even had gifts for the half-kin and the human - a small mirror and... an acorn?"

"She said one of our companions from earlier was trying to find us, so Darkstar retraced our steps to see if he could find them. I hope he remembered to avoid those orcs... anyway, we finally ran into Li and her party and they escorted us back home. That... that is about it, I think, though I will do my best to answer any additional questions you have..."

Return to “Hedge's Forgotten Realms Adventures”